2016 Itineraries Come Out When?

tymike

Thank you twin! Can I ask what company you go with?

I don't want to over insure, but I do want med evac, medical, and 'if someone in my family dies etc. I can't go etc. insurance.

My fiancee and I even discussed no insurance due to the prices I found, but I'm not all together comfortable with that.

Your price in the 5k range sounds unreasonable as I presume you are under 60.

Did you check premium for PG insurance?

We buy insurance on big ticket trips. Our smaller ones are covered by our AMEX plat and of course DHs health plan.

I believe we're opting for no insurance this time on the PG (December), since it's now tough to find an underwriter who will insure Canadians, for some reason. The PG's own policy, which we could have purchased last year at the time of booking seemed not worthwhile.We also have medical coverage already, thank goodness.

Emdee, what luck have you had with insuring large trips lately?

Both Allianz and AIG are not insuring Canadians out of the U.S. but will write us out of Canada with inferior coverage.

There is an operation out of the U.S. That does provide cover using an American insurer fronted by a Canadian company shall look for the details and send it to you.

Hi Tymike,

Maybe you are getting 5k estimates b/c you are overestimating your costs? Flights can be converted into future flights for a year, with a relatively minor cost - and flight websites offer their own insurance if you'd like (not sure CFAR in included). Hotels can easily be cancelled unless you want the prepay/no cancel deals. Excursions are likely cancellable. Etc.

Point being don't over insure unless you've really figured the numbers. From what I can tell you can get 30k of coverage from John Hancock (just picking a number) for about 1.8, 1.9k including CFAR.

Anyone got any experience with John Hancock? Seems like the winner to me on insuremytrip dot commie rat, or comisky park if you prefer.

Hi all,

I looked into Allianz and it seems to say that it covers cancellation (probably not for any reason) in their highest level coverage but only if the ENTIRE cost of the trip doesn't exceed what I insure for. For example, I put in the cost of the cruise only and got a quote. Do their terms mean that because I'm flying and staying in hotels pre and maybe post cruise I can't buy this?

I'm going to call them for clarification tomorrow, but I wanted a head start from all you experts!

Thanks as always!

Hi all,

I looked into Allianz and it seems to say that it covers cancellation (probably not for any reason) in their highest level coverage but only if the ENTIRE cost of the trip doesn't exceed what I insure for. For example, I put in the cost of the cruise only and got a quote. Do their terms mean that because I'm flying and staying in hotels pre and maybe post cruise I can't buy this?

I'm going to call them for clarification tomorrow, but I wanted a head start from all you experts!

Thanks as always!

Hi all...

I purchased insurance and although I was pondering forgoing it altogether, I'm really feeling better that I have it. It's not cancel for any reason but it does allow cancellation for illness of a family member which was the most important thing for me.

So...what lies ahead (in the next year +!) are flights, hotels, and especially excursions.

Thanks so much for all your help so far....and the future lies ahead!

Hi all...

A sensitive question. Has anyone had difficulty with the TA that PG assigned? If so, what is the procedure to deal with this situation? Any advice is seriously appreciated.

Thanks again and again. I feel like this thread is my trip planning life line! :)

Hi all...

A sensitive question. Has anyone had difficulty with the TA that PG assigned? If so, what is the procedure to deal with this situation? Any advice is seriously appreciated.

Thanks again and again. I feel like this thread is my trip planning life line! :)

Why did PG assign a TA to you?

Are you talking about booking directly with the cruise line?

I usually use an outside TA but many book directly with PG.

If you are having difficulty take it to the next level.

Hi all...

Huh??? An assigned TA?

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but I simply requested a catelogue from Paul Gaugain and my personal information (e-mail) and home phone number was passed to a travel agent who emailed and called numerous times. I finally had to call Paul Gaugain to get them to stop.

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but I simply requested a catelogue from Paul Gaugain and my personal information (e-mail) and home phone number was passed to a travel agent who emailed and called numerous times. I finally had to call Paul Gaugain to get them to stop.

This does not sound very good.

Hi all...

I remember very early in the process I was on the PG website and I clicked on some button (talk to an expert maybe?) and then I got contacted by the TA I've been 'working' with since. I assumed that because PG connected me to the TA that all would be wonderful so I dove into booking with her.

It has been anything but wonderful from almost day one so I'm wondering how to change TA's.

I called PG and they said I have to inform my current TA that I want the booking released to me (awkward at best) and then I can do whatever I want with keeping it (?) or transferring it to another TA.

It's really too bad because PG essentially referred me to her (or her to me) so as a first time PG cruiser that raises questions in and of itself. I'm still completely excited and invested in the 2017 cruise and am NOT doubting the experience that awaits me on the ship...I'm just bewildered by my booking experience to date.

I did not click on "talk to an expert" before my information was shared. I merely clicked on "Request a Brochure". I then clicked on "I am a traveler planning a vacation". In very small print at the bottom of the page there is mention of a Travel agency partner contacting me. The messages this TA left on my home machine were deceptive. I can see how someone who is not a frequent cruiser could become confused and believe that this person actually works for Paul Gaugain. Even when I called to complain I was given mixed messages..."we are a small company with only a few people in the office and we sometimes need help". On a positive note, once I expressed my concerns the contacts stopped immediately. I was also told that others have complained about this and the matter would be directed to management.

I agree, you shouldn't feel awkward. Just do it, and without delay. We can't recommend another TA for you, we're not allowed to do that, but we all have our favorites, probably just a handful of companies. Just do some google searching, and make sure to ask any new TAs if they have direct experience with PG.

• 2 weeks later...