Post-Cruise survey

AJCM

Just finished a wonderful 14n cruise in Asia with Quest. We got around to the electronic survey today. It wanted to know if it met expectations, would we recommend Aza, and what exceeded our expectations. There was no scope to identify aspects we were disappointed with nor to mention crew whom we were delighted with. A bit of a joke of a survey really. I won't waste my time in future.

While we had a great time, met some really nice people, visited many interesting places, enjoyed the Azamazing night to Bangkok's Ancient City there were a number of aspects we were indeed disappointed with. These include :

a cut back on production shows and one of the production shows being on night 1 (they would probably argue that separate solo concerts by the two principal singers constitutes and increase but not in my book - they simply replace other entertainers);

a stronger sense of up-selling ;

poor free movie schedule on TV (same movies shown on 3 days of a 14 day cruise and questionable choices of some movies);

the Windows coffee mugs are too large and no cups are available for tea;

new sun loungers on the front deck on 9 quite uncomfortable compared to the pool deck - please do not extend these loungers to the pool deck with the re-fit;

programming of certain activities at the same time e.g. afternoon trivia and yoga - particularly on sea days

This isn't meant to have a whinge and the matters mentioned above are really minor but if Azamara really wants feedback then they shouldn't shy from negative and only hear the positive - that seems a sure way toward mediocrity.

Tony

I'm doing this from memory, but it seems to me there's a question at or near the end of the survey where you can write in anything you want...positive or negative. I know I mentioned many of the crew by name at that point in the survey, and also made some suggestions for improvement.

For what it's worth, I experienced no upselling on Quest on her October 11 and 19 cruises, and there were five production shows, one more than I remember from earlier cruises. Were there tables where you could buy liquor packages? Yes. Did someone approach me to try to get me to purchase same? Not at all.

Edited by marinaro44

Hi Tony

We were on the same cruise as you. We agree about the lack of production shows and the poor movie selection. Also that the Azamazing Evening in Bangkok was brilliant.

Did you mean the sun- loungers on the front of Deck 11. If so, we were happy with them, tho' didn't use them as much as we have in the past as it was very breezy on most of the (few) sea days.

We were not so conscious of the up-selling, certainly nobody hassled us, but there were stalls set out trying to sell packages on some days.

We like having tea in mugs, but agree some might prefer cups. Strangely room service tea does come in cups, and we would prefer it in mugs first thing in the morning!

Overall, though, we thought it was a great cruise. White night was very good too, the Jazz brunch was good and we loved the Dim Sum brunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just off the same cruise and I agree about the electronic surveys 100%. If you rate an item, lets say food selection in MDR, high or low there is no place to give follow- up about your choice.

I did find a place at the end at the of the survey to mention outstanding crew but not leave any other comments.

The wifi was horrible and the TV movie selections were the same day after day and strange...."Good Morning Vietnam" at least " Apocalypse Now" wasn't one of the choices!

We did have an issue with the MDR food selections and mentioned it on the written survey we were given early in the cruise, The chef called our stateroom once, LM message and no contact information. We were told several times he would come find us in the MDR but he never did.....

I'm doing this from memory, but it seems to me there's a question at or near the end of the survey where you can write in anything you want...positive or negative. I know I mentioned many of the crew by name at that point in the survey, and also made some suggestions for improvement.

For what it's worth, I experienced no upselling on Quest on her October 11 and 19 cruises, and there were five production shows, one more than I remember from earlier cruises. Were there tables where you could buy liquor packages? Yes. Did someone approach me to try to get me to purchase same? Not at all.

In terms of both of these points that is our experience as well.

In fact, and I am also relying on my poor memory, there was an earlier part of the questionnaire which allowed some expansion and, having mentioned staff there, we encountered a later section that was actually dedicated to that particular aspect of our experience.

Perhaps the questionnaire has been changed to facilitate collation of the results.

I also know from our experience that, if you wish, you can send a letter to Azamara detailing accolades or concerns. I have done so and received a response.

I did find a place at the end at the of the survey to mention outstanding crew but not leave any other comments.

There is nothing preventing anyone from writing whatever they'd like to write, positive or negative, in this section at the end of the survey. Better to write suggestions or criticism there than to complain here on Cruise Critic.

Our November 1 cruise on Journey was lovely and I had no complaints at all.

Agree that the electronic survey is pretty useless but if I had any issues while on board I would get them sorted at the time. From experience, Heiki and her team are very good at problem solving.

Did the survey a second time, due to comments here. Again, no scope to add extra comments. Other than the 1-10 selections, the only item for comments sought to discover what exceeded our expectations.

In that section we noted several matters. However, we did forget to mention the coffee in the 5th floor café was always hot, as requested, and a small number of regular guests had a great time with Bill Forrest (pianist/singer) in Luxe at night time. Apart from his wide repertoire and extensive knowledge of music, he encouraged interaction and requests and those of us who became regulars got to know each other quite well - he created a very enjoyable environment.

In the survey we would have liked to acknowledge a number of crew members who were very good to us (including our cabin staff) and the food in the breakfast buffet was consistently hot - the coffee and buffet were a notable improvement on other Azamara cruises we've done.

The relatively uncomfortable loungers are around the Thallosatherapy? spa in front of the gym/spa area. If they put these around the pool during the re-fit, I think a lot of people will be disappointed.

The point of my thread is simply that Azamara should be prepared to hear the negative as well as the good.

Even so, I want to emphasise we had a great cruise.

Tony

Kathy9

Our survey only wanted to know which cruise, would we cruise again (1-10), recommend to others (1-10), and a comments block to specify what exceeded expectations. There was nothing about rating food/menus or anything else and certainly no box for general comments. It was the shortest survey we've ever done for anything. It would seem you and others were sent a more comprehensive survey form. If many guests received the same survey form as us, then Azamara is wasting its time and money.

Tony

...but if I had any issues while on board I would get them sorted at the time. From experience, Heiki and her team are very good at problem solving.

Best advice yet. Whether it's Heike, Ryszard, or Philip, Azamara's hotel directors are very visible and much more engaged with passengers than on any other cruise line we've used. Take advantage of that. Talk with them. Raise any issues you may have. They can address them. We can't.

Hi Everyone,

Great comments on the Onboard surveys. Both Azamara & Celebrity could use an overhaul on both content and layout. I love taking the post cruise surveys, but strongly feel they can learn a great deal more from their guests, by asking the right questions.

I agree with those who say you can always add your comments at the end of the survey. I suspect that's true - but I'd still like to see better questions asked, along with improved comment sections on the survey. IMO, it could help both Azamara and Celebrity immensely.

Edited by Host Andy

There is nothing preventing anyone from writing whatever they'd like to write, positive or negative, in this section at the end of the survey. Better to write suggestions or criticism there than to complain here on Cruise Critic.

I will be writing a review and I believe CC is a place to write about one's experiences on board a cruise.......

Yes, it is "a place," but writing a review here is rather too late to change anything you may have wanted addressed while you were on your cruise.

So true. That's why there's a request for feedback sent to all cabins about half way through a voyage. Our Hotel Directors wants to know how they can make your experience better while you're still onboard. And they circulate daily picking up feedback.

I agree about feedback request half way through. On my recent cruise I mentioned the lack of breakfast for anyone going off the ship early for a private tour - first room service slot is 6:30-7:00! The room service manager came and sought us out during dinner to thank us for the feedback and to say they were looking at what could be done.

What was really annoying, though, was that passengers on ship's excursions could sometimes get a 'grab and go' breakfast in the cabaret, but this was not advertised so if you weren't on a ships tour you didn't know about it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kathy9

Our survey only wanted to know which cruise, would we cruise again (1-10), recommend to others (1-10), and a comments block to specify what exceeded expectations. There was nothing about rating food/menus or anything else and certainly no box for general comments. It was the shortest survey we've ever done for anything. It would seem you and others were sent a more comprehensive survey form. If many guests received the same survey form as us, then Azamara is wasting its time and money.

Tony

Tony I looked through my emails and I was sent 2 different AZ esurveys one from

Ngawhira Fleet Guest Relations Manager, which was the two pages, the first rating AZ over all and the second page you could make comments good or bad.

The other from AZ was a few more pages rating things like food, service, embarkation 1 - 10 and then at the end you could name crew members you wanted to but no space for general comments. I much prefer a paper survey!

We did fill out the comment card early on in the cruise, that is why the chef was making an effort to contact us.

My other issue mentioned on the comment card was addressed by the appropriate person in a very timely manner.

The crew and the service on Azamara are outstanding all the way around!

Once we got the survey on the Journey already on day 3. We mentionend some things, like bad coffee taste in the Buffet restaurants or not getting Eggs Benedict. And a few other things.

The same evening we got a response from Hotel Director, from Cruise Director, from Maitre D´ and they tried to change everything to please us.

We got Cappuccino, we could order Eggs Benedict and it came from the main galley. But what they could not change was the terrible bed. They tried everything even a wooden plank inside but I had the worst nights on a cruise.

But I´ve heard that they´ve got new bedding in St. Maarten this week and hope for a better sleep in march.

But people, even without a survey during a cruise, if you are not satisfied, why don´t you speak to the officer who is responsible for the problem.

On each cruiseline they try their best to please you and especially on Azamara.

Edited by wuppis

We have just returned from the "Wake of Columbus" transatlantic an receive three request to complete he questionnaire. Overall we were happy with the cruise but there was one area, animals in Windows, which concerned us. I completed the questionnaire without an option to note our opinions on animals and hygiene, but when I went back and gave a really low score on Windows a free text box appeared. It seems to me that if you score any area over 4 there is no option to give feedback. If you score 8+ you get an option to give positive feedback. This makes sense but most Azamara guests usually don't like to score low enough to get the opportunity to record concerns. Just my opinion.