Craziest thing heard over speaker system

DaddyBytes

We were sailing between Tahiti and Hawaii and one afternoon as we crossed the Equator the Captain announced the moment and said "If you look about 2 nautical miles to port side or 1 nautical mile to starboard you will see the buoys marking the line." Quite a few people dashed to the sides to get a view before the joke sank in.

Probably the most memorable for us was the very lyrical "Buon Appitito" announcing every meal time (back when the main dining room was the only option) on the old Sitmar line ships.

The scariest is "Bravo, Bravo, Bravo" (some line may use a different code) indicating that there is a fire onboard and all crew members are to report to their emergency stations. It's happened twice on ships we were on, luckily very quickly taken care of.

Another memorable one was on the Crown Princess, 2 days out of Papeete heading back to Los Angeles, when the Captain announced that we were turning around due to a critically ill passenger. It took us about 18 hours to get to the French Marquesas where the passenger (a crew member with a ruptured appendix) could be transferred ashore for medical treatment. Happily he was treated in time and survived, though the ship was a full day late in returning to LA.

It was on Sun Princess in 2001, when she was still classed as a 'Large Ship', it was announced that, ' While sailing from West to East, ,due to the length of the ship, the Bow, and the Stern are now in different time zones'.

john

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPacificbound viewpost.gif

October 2016 on Vision when Captain Lis announced we had come upon some stranded refugees on a boat and had stopped to assist.

If only there was some way to make money off of this info . .

the date 2016 ... future event

OK, got it. That's what I get for posting on CC while also working on spreadsheet for 2016 travel. :o

We had just watched a proposal in the MDR of Celebrity Eclipse with the help of the Cruise Director and some singers when a short time later he announced over the loudspeaker that there would be a helicopter Med Evac. It was late on the last night of the cruise and we were only 8 hours from our port. The patient must have been critically ill for the doctor to order this at that time. As we headed to our forward suite to observe the helicopter med evac, we heard "Oscar, Oscar, Starboard." I knew that was Man Overboard. My initial thought was that there had been some kind of accident involving the helicopter and someone had gotten knocked off the deck because landing a helicopter on a ship is incredibly dangerous even under the best of circumstances and here we were in the dark of night, but when we got to our stateroom looked out of the forward windows at what was going on, the helicopter medievac was proceeding normally and no one was looking over the starboard side of the ship on the forward helipad. We watched the helicopter med evac as the Cruise Director came back on the speaker and asked everyone to report anyone in their party who was missing. He called a dozen names or so and they responded to him by calling the phone number provided in the announcements, then the cruise director came to another name and this person did not respond. The cruise director called him at least a half dozen times and I could tell it was someone he knew as the cruise director sounded absolutely devastated. It turned out to be a galley crew member. Apparently he committed suicide by jumping overboard. It was the last night of our cruise and we were already in the English Channel. The water was very cold that night - he really had no chance, but the ship searched for hours on end and we were joined by the French Coast Guard, but his body was never found. Remarkably, we got into Southampton only an hour late. I still feel very bad for the man's friends and family. This was his last cruise before he was to go home. I don't know what his motivation was, but I wish someone could have helped him before it was too late. Suicide is not the answer.

I was later talking to another ship Captain and he told me that helicopter med evacs only happen about once or twice per year at most. I've known people who have cruised for 30 years or more and never seen one, my father (a Captain) never had one on any of ships in over 35 years and to think we had that PLUS a man overboard on the same night - the odds against that must be incredible. Hopefully that will be the ONLY ones we ever see. I hope that the patient survived the helicopter med evac and got well. That would be very happy news from a very tragic night.

Once on a Royal Caribbean cruise, the Captain came on and said a passenger asked him which elevators went up to a deck and which ones went down. He told us to always remember that passengers are not allowed to go up the down staircases.

Don't remember what Princess ship or captain, but right after we pulled into the harbor at Monte Carlo filled with huge yachts, our Captain came on and said in a singsong voice, "My boat's bigger than your boat."

This truly made me LOL. It is something I would totally say. 😆

Once on a Royal Caribbean cruise, the Captain came on and said a passenger asked him which elevators went up to a deck and which ones went down. He told us to always remember that passengers are not allowed to go up the down staircases.

My high school actually had staircases that we could only go up and others that we could only go down. We were so overcrowded that this was the only way we could get between classes on time.

Don

My high school actually had staircases that we could only go up and others that we could only go down. We were so overcrowded that this was the only way we could get between classes on time.

Don

There is a novel, Up the Down Staircase, that takes place in a high school that had staircases with that rule.