Craziest thing heard over speaker system

DaddyBytes

What is the most crazy/bizarre/sad/happy thing you have heard over the speaker system?

I was on Freedom once and in the middle of the night in the wee hours of the morning an announcement came over the speaker system asking for anyone with a certain blood type (I forget exactly what type) to report to guest services immediately if they were willing to donate blood and help with an emergency. It was kind of freaky to be honest.

(I confirmed with others the next day that I was not just dreaming!) The cruise was April 6, 2014.

Just about anything Captain Rob said during his daily updates was a source of amusement on my two cruises on Enchantment OTS out of Baltimore. Picture a stand-up comic who became a captain. Everything seemed to stop when he made his announcements which were filled with amazing facts such as "The closest land mass is.....the pier". :D

Just about anything Captain Rob said during his daily updates was a source of amusement on my two cruises on Enchantment OTS out of Baltimore. Picture a stand-up comic who became a captain. Everything seemed to stop when he made his announcements which were filled with amazing facts such as "The closest land mass is.....the pier". :D

Lol. Do you know where Caption Rob is now?

Just after dinner on May 31, 2013, the Captain announced they were closing access to the port side of the ship and to keep the balconies closed due to tear gas coming down the hill. We were in Istanbul the evening the riots began. We were taken off guard as our tour guide said earlier that day that the traffic issues were due to a small protest. The protests continued the next day but people still went on their tours.

Captain Frank Martinsen warned passengers getting off the ship in Jamaica to avoid Jamaican "tobacco," and be like the Norweigans...who only smoke the fish!

On the first morning, do not know which ship, or who said it.

But they said, "You are not dreaming, you are on a cruise" !

Both of those announcements are funny. This is a good thread.

Captain Rick Sullivan has a great "radio voice" and did very characteristic daily announcements, often with a lot of humor. This was on Explorer shortly after the move to Florida in 2014. I can't recall the exact line, but in one announcement he joked about our heading, not at all where we were supposed to be going, and then corrected himself.

LOL That reminds me of the captain we had on the Serenade a couple of times. This had to be about 5 years ago, and his name escapes me.

During his mid day update he would say "The nearest land is 6,100 feet directly below the ship. The nearest dry land is...":D

Lol. Do you know where Caption Rob is now?

The recent "Current Captains" thread says it's Rhapsody. He really stood out because of that wacky sense of humor. I hope I'm aboard one of his ships again one day.

I can't remember who the captain was on this occasion, but on a stop in Curacao, we were told about the swing bridge that allows pedestrians to explore the other side of town. The bridge was often closed to let water traffic through and our Captain told us to make sure we crossed back over the bridge well before sail-away time. If we wanted to stay a little longer, he suggested we bring a camera so we could get a lovely picture of the ship... as she sailed away!

During a sea day on my Queen Victoria World Cruise last year, the ship was conducting several drills. A group of us were sitting in one of the lounges and I asked the group if the band ever practices setting up near the lifeboats like they did on the Titanic. Everyone thought I was crazy for thinking that.

Not 5 minutes later, an announcement was made "Will the music director please report to his station". We got a big laugh out of that.

Don

Back a few years ago, the luggage tags were colors instead of numbers. Dean Bailey was HD on the Brilliance and he likes to tell the story that during disembarkation he heard the the PA announcer call out "Now the white people can get off the ship"!!! He had to have a little chat with that fellow to explain how that phrase could possibly be misunderstood.

Edited by Tagsalong

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPacificbound viewpost.gif

October 2016 on Vision when Captain Lis announced we had come upon some stranded refugees on a boat and had stopped to assist.

If only there was some way to make money off of this info . .

What on earth does this mean? :confused:

the date 2016 ... future event

I was on the Carnival Liberty and the cruise director announced over the PA that there was a swinger party in one of the cabins and he gave the cabin number. (no I didn't go) :)

You've reminded me why I don't cruise Carnival anymore