Gastro Outbreak on Expolorer of the Seas

waydago

Not noro related really but on our recent Panama Canal cruise on the Infinity I remember the girl running the trivia and many other activities was fastidious about sanitising pretty much everything she touched including pencils etc and one night she was hosting a " talent quest" and there was a bit of a break before she announced the winners. i went off to the loo, as you do, and "standing" next to me was one of the contestants.( a young English lad with not a bad voice actually) i noticed he did what he had to do and walked straight out without washing his hands. Next thing you know he has won the contest and the fastidious girl eagerly went and shook his hand. :eek::eek::eek: ..if only she knew:D:D

Glad you mentioned the poor hygiene habits of the Pom 'singer', I recently sailed with 3000 of them on Aurora/Oriana, very poor personal hygiene, it is a wonder I am still alive.

Edited by NSWP

Another safe guard that I tend to do and not just on cruises, is to fist pump rather than shake hands with people. Might sound paranoid, but it is an effective method without being rude.

Yes, this was used on this cruise to replace hand shakes once the problem was made known. Staff including officers did this too.

Wonder if there were any problems on the next cruise...

We'll soon find out! She's on her way back.

I'll be getting in so here's hoping [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

We'll soon find out! She's on her way back.

I'll be getting in so here's hoping [emoji16]

Yes, here is hoping that the issues are behind her.

Yes, here is hoping that the issues are behind her.

And she's still a little [emoji90]

During the ship's last sailing, a number of guests experienced a gastrointestinal illness. We will conduct enhanced sanitizing onboard the ship and within the terminal to help prevent any illness from affecting your cruise. Therefore, your check-in and boarding time has been revised. Please arrive at the cruise terminal according to the following designated times. The terminal will remain closed until 1:00pm:

And she's still a little [emoji90]

During the ship's last sailing, a number of guests experienced a gastrointestinal illness. We will conduct enhanced sanitizing onboard the ship and within the terminal to help prevent any illness from affecting your cruise. Therefore, your check-in and boarding time has been revised. Please arrive at the cruise terminal according to the following designated times. The terminal will remain closed until 1:00pm:

You are talking about the cruise that left on the 16th Dec aren't you???

The blast email that you have quoted was sent for guests boarding on the cruise that returns tomorrow.

I have just received all the debark /embark details for tomorrow and there is no mention of delayed boarding or any further gastro/noro aboard so all is clear...as far as I know.. usual 11am check in start.

No that email I got direct today regarding tomorrow's boarding. Been pushed back to 1.

Apparently no cases of gastro, just precautionary.

Another safe guard that I tend to do and not just on cruises, is to fist pump rather than shake hands with people. Might sound paranoid, but it is an effective method without being rude.

...How gauche, Mic. ;)

I find just giving people the finger does the trick. :eek:

Cheers r

:cool:

No that email I got direct today regarding tomorrow's boarding. Been pushed back to 1.

Apparently no cases of gastro, just precautionary.

Just checked with the office, and yes, you are correct although they are hoping that it will not be delayed leaving ( providing there are no severe storms to delay flights like last time) and hopefully we can start check in before 1pm if all goes to plan.

Just checked with the office, and yes, you are correct although they are hoping that it will not be delayed leaving ( providing there are no severe storms to delay flights like last time) and hopefully we can start check in before 1pm if all goes to plan.

Well not good that it is still needed but at least they have the chance to deep clean and get it totally eradicated.

Well not good that it is still needed but at least they have the chance to deep clean and get it totally eradicated.

It was really a non event The only reason they were "forced" to do it was because of all the "publicity and garbage television coverage" from the cruise before which was totally unwarranted. There were virtually no cases of gastro reported on the last cruise and even though we started check in a lot later we pretty much had everybody on board by 4:30pm for the scheduled 6:30 departure.

Ge hang on ..I did see a lady blow her nose....somebody should ring channel nine for an exclusive news flash :mad::mad:

It was really a non event The only reason they were "forced" to do it was because of all the "publicity and garbage television coverage" from the cruise before which was totally unwarranted. There were virtually no cases of gastro reported on the last cruise and even though we started check in a lot later we pretty much had everybody on board by 4:30pm for the scheduled 6:30 departure.

Ge hang on ..I did see a lady blow her nose....somebody should ring channel nine for an exclusive news flash :mad::mad:

Yes, some tv crews just go overboard, lol, I mean blow things out of proportion.

do people realise that gastro and norovirus is also caught by air, if some one vomits the virus lingers in the air for all of us to breath in so even with the best hygiene practices you can still pick up the bug

Yes, but most people clear the area when this happens, however if the person then does not confine themselves and have not washed their hands then people will spread it.

Brisbane41 I feel the last sentence in your first paragraph was uncalled for.:mad:

Absolutely.

There's more an element of good fortune in most Australians lives than there is some incredible ability that other citizens don't have. :rolleyes:

On that note, say "bus and truck drivers" in Asian countries don't get as much as bus and truck drivers here. So they can't afford to cruise as much. Nothing to do with ability.

Edited by The_Big_M

Brisbane41 I feel the last sentence in your first paragraph was uncalled for.:mad:

Don't worry too much about those sort of comments from Brisbane41/Sutho/Karate Man or whatever he is calling himself this week He always seems to have a "superior" attitude about himself as oppose to the rest of the world.

Some of my relatives were on the Explorer that came back on 24/12 and yes there was some gastro on board. My uncle spent yesterday in the bathroom...

I was also on this cruise and fortunately any issues were very limited.

They had restrictions for the duration, which finished the last day. Fortunately, there weren't any special alerts or any prevalence during the cruise. They took a survey the last day but since it didn't produce any reports like the previous one, it seems as though any outbreaks were limited.

Hi all,

Currently on Explorer, fast check in, no dramas, we were onboard at 1pm.

They did xmas really well, carols by the tree, presents from santa for the kids.

We have had smooth seas across the ditch and are in Bay of Islands today.

We are sitting at a waterfront cafe in Russell on a glorious NZ sunny day.

No reports of noro..., and the ship is very clean with lots of handrail washing going on constantly.

Chez