Gastro Outbreak on Expolorer of the Seas

waydago

It also happens a lot in Retirement Villages,and Hospitals, but it is not often reported. I have known of local Hospitals to ban ALL visitors until the outbreak is cleared up.

Yes this is true, I worked in both hospitals and nursing homes. They no longer use bleach to clean things including toilets. As soon as there is an outbreak out comes the bleach. Don't know what cleaning products they use on ships. I use bleach at home. Can't beat it.

Interesting observation

I was working on the Explorer turnaround yesterday actually doing the "A Pass" security, scanning the guests sea pass..." DING"... as they boarded the ship. Out of probably the first three or four hundred passengers I doubt if I saw twenty people use the hand sanitizers ,which they had to walk straight past to get to the security scanner. It was only when a couple of guests stopped to use it that the "sheep" :) behind them did the same. Even saw a few people put the sea pass in their mouth while sanitizing their hands before taking it out again and handing it to me for scanning :eek::eek::eek: so I guess not too many cruisers really take the risk seriously , even considering they were just delayed boarding by a few hours for that very reason.

Oh Well guess we can always delay the next cruise so the crew can fully sanitise the ship and terminal again:mad:

Could not believe though we had channels 7,9 & 10 all down at the pier reporting on this "earth shattering news". I reckon more people would have got sick by watching those pathetic breakfast programs than would have got crook on the entire cruise. :D

Edited by gbenjo

Oh Well guess we can always delay the next cruise so the crew can fully sanitise the ship and terminal again:mad: :D

Nooooooooooooo.....not the next cruise, and I promise to keep my sea pass out of my mouth:p

Chez

Interesting observation

I was working on the Explorer turnaround yesterday actually doing the "A Pass" security, scanning the guests sea pass..." DING"... as they boarded the ship. Out of probably the first three or four hundred passengers I doubt if I saw twenty people use the hand sanitizers ,which they had to walk straight past to get to the security scanner. It was only when a couple of guests stopped to use it that the "sheep" :) behind them did the same. Even saw a few people put the sea pass in their mouth while sanitizing their hands before taking it out again and handing it to me for scanning :eek:: so I guess not too many cruisers really take the risk seriously , even considering they were just delayed boarding by a few hours for that very reason.

Oh Well guess we can always delay the next cruise so the crew can fully sanitise the ship and terminal again:mad:

Could not believe though we had channels 7,9 & 10 all down at the pier reporting on this "earth shattering news". I reckon more people would have got sick by watching those pathetic breakfast programs than would have got crook on the entire cruise. :D

A conspiracy theorist at work reckons that P&O have paid the TV channels to rubbish the other cruise lines.:cool:

Could not believe though we had channels 7,9 & 10 all down at the pier reporting on this "earth shattering news".

My thoughts exactly as I came out. It actually didn't click for me right away that they were there for the "outbreak"...

I have also seen a sign near the public toilet door saying "please use paper towel on the door handles" or whatever the wording is. You look for the bin and it is 3 steps away! Hello!

They have that notice on Princess. If the outside door is not held open with a door chock, it is easy to hold it open with your foot while you put the paper towel in the bin. :)

Edited by Aus Traveller

They have that notice on Princess. If the outside door is not held open with a door chock, it is easy to hold it open with your foot while you put the paper towel in the bin. :)

Quite a few ships now have ins by the door for this purpose a was the case on some recent cruises.

We were on this cruise and while 187 may be the official numbers, it was actually a lot more. When people started seeing and hearing how effected passengers were quarantined, many people chose not to report it. It is my understanding that decks 8 and 10 were amongst the worst hit. We were on deck 10 and there were quarantined cabins all around us.

We were on this cruise and while 187 may be the official numbers, it was actually a lot more. When people started seeing and hearing how effected passengers were quarantined, many people chose not to report it. It is my understanding that decks 8 and 10 were amongst the worst hit. We were on deck 10 and there were quarantined cabins all around us.

Hey bigdavefc!!! Missed ya at the meet and mingle. Did you get the day wrong? They did have it on a different day than what was published online prior to the cruise.

You could be right however I saw a few instances of the opposite occur.

Reason given was that initially they thought it might go away (or they thought didn't have it, in one case they had had a big night on the drinks package the night before!) but got quite sick and after a day or so (self quarantined by circumstance really) wanted the treatment to get better.

Hey bigdavefc!!! Missed ya at the meet and mingle. Did you get the day wrong? They did have it on a different day than what was published online prior to the cruise.

I was really disappointed we couldn't make the meet and mingle. My wife has a few health issues (hence the accessible js) and she wasn't up to it so I chose to look after her instead.

I'm sure that the Celebrity Solstice had automatic opening doors in the toilets. I remember thinking at the time that it was an excellent idea.

They're not auto opening, at least the couple I've used. There is a big button you press. It's not always obvious for first-timers and it can be quite amusing watching people trying to open the door. For some odd reason Celebrity have tried to make the buttons "discreet" :eek::D

They're not auto opening, at least the couple I've used. There is a big button you press. It's not always obvious for first-timers and it can be quite amusing watching people trying to open the door. For some odd reason Celebrity have tried to make the buttons "discreet" :eek::D

Do they still have the attendants there?

How are you enjoying the Solstice? It's a beautiful ship!!

Chez

Edited by cheznandy

One of my pet hates about this nasty little virus is that the cruise line always blames "a passenger" it suits them legally to blame a passenger. Heaven forbid it is never a "crew member" which is equally as possible as a passenger. After all crew members are humans too and can slip in hygiene standards from time to time. They are not the perfect specimens of humans cruise lines would have us believe otherwise they would not be working on cruise ships to make a living.

What I do now for every cruise I go on is that I pack a tub of dettol anti-bacterial wipes. They are a damp surface cleaner and kill 99.9% of germs. With those wipes I wipe down every single surface in my cabin from tv remote, to every coat hanger I intend to use, to the door handles, drawer handles, chairs, tables. Nothing escapes being cleaned down by those wipes. I certainly know the cabin steward wont do that amount of cleaning. I even wipe down the inside surface of every single drawer.

Since I started doing that and avoiding the gym on a cruise ship even though I like to keep fit, on the ships with outbreaks of this nasty little virus, I have remained healthy and did not get sick.

Sounds like a lot of extra work ... but if you feel good doing this, then keep on with it.

Personally, the sooner I'm up on deck for sailaway drinkies the better.

By the way, I don't understand why the gym is off limits for you? Do you think there are more germs there?

Interesting observation

I was working on the Explorer turnaround yesterday actually doing the "A Pass" security, scanning the guests sea pass..." DING"... as they boarded the ship. Out of probably the first three or four hundred passengers I doubt if I saw twenty people use the hand sanitizers ,which they had to walk straight past to get to the security scanner. It was only when a couple of guests stopped to use it that the "sheep" :) behind them did the same. Even saw a few people put the sea pass in their mouth while sanitizing their hands before taking it out again and handing it to me for scanning :eek::eek::eek: so I guess not too many cruisers really take the risk seriously , even considering they were just delayed boarding by a few hours for that very reason.

Where's the LIKE button? 182 people out of how many thousand on board?? I know it's not nice but really???

We are currently on the Diamond. I went up to get some Guacamole in the Elite Lounge on Wednesday night (after this news had broken) and there was a man with his hands (not fingers) in the Corn Chips bowl instead of using the tongs that were provided. I told him that it was people like him that caused Noro Virus outbreaks. He was very embarrassed, as he should have been and the Corn Chips were taken away.

It's simple, wash your hands and use the tongs.

Cheers

Di

Edited by Dizziedi

The buttons were originally designed for people in wheelchairs so that they are not always in the most logical spot for able bodied people but are for those with accessibility issues. X also has people in the bathrooms to keep them tidy and ensure that people are washing their hands during peak periods (early evening /dinner time).:D

It is people like this that help spread disease.:mad:

Totally agree "Mic" Its the people who do not report gastro that cause it to spread like wildfire. Also when there is an outbreak of "flu" like symptoms you can observe people coughing without covering there mouth or even worse coughing into their hands. :eek: And this is not confined to cruise ships who, unfortunately, cop most of the publicity.

Totally agree "Mic" Its the people who do not report gastro that cause it to spread like wildfire. Also when there is an outbreak of "flu" like symptoms you can observe people coughing without covering there mouth or even worse coughing into their hands. :eek: And this is not confined to cruise ships who, unfortunately, cop most of the publicity.

Agreed, I do not have an issue of people not reporting it but only if they confine them selves to their cabin. To go around spreading it is reckless and disgusting, when they know they are sick.

Edited by MicCanberra

This has definitely heightened my own & families personal hygiene for cruising! I always washed my hands when I thought it was required & used the gel before & after dining but I will be taking things to a new level this cruise! & keeping an eye on others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

Could not believe though we had channels 7,9 & 10 all down at the pier reporting on this "earth shattering news".

Yes got home from work after having learned of the noro on here, and Ch9 were promoting the cruise from hell/horror cruise or whatever they termed it on every station break & then several times during the actual news.

They didn't show the 'story' until about 50' into the news and it basically fell flat, when they spoke with people who were actually on the cruise. Loved the kid who seemed so happy the ship gave him free movies and mini-bar during his quarantining:) What about the guy who pointed at his travelling companions one at a time & said "sick, sick, sick" & then pointed at himself and said "not sick" :eek: At the end Ch9 begrudgingly ackowledged the ship's crew had done well with both issues.

I think it is all our 'duty' when onboard to do all we can to minimise the risk & to 'call-out' those doing the wrong thing, if not directly but at least by alerting staff. I would do that on land, so why not onboard?