Celebrity wants new cruisers

Gracie115

I still don't get the Elite complaints about how the new pricing scheme dilutes their loyalty benefits. You don't have to go BEST! Go with the basic price and choose either gratuities or OBC depending on which is better for your cruise. Then you can use your free drinks instead of a beverage package. What am I missing?

well yes you can....but that still doesn't explain the increase in overall pricing.....the TA I am on in April on Reflection 2016 has doubled in price for 2017....there is no "big better best" on the TA's those are just straight fares....

I just looked at the same exact itinerary I have booked for Jan 16 on Silhouette, in the same exact category, at basically the same dates, (Jan 17 vs Jan 21) for Jan of 2017. The only difference is for 2017 it's on Reflection. For the 2017 the price is $50 LESS PER PERSON!

Perhaps it's the TA's they are bringing up on pricing due to the demand of them.

I just looked at the same exact itinerary I have booked for Jan 16 on Silhouette, in the same exact category, at basically the same dates, (Jan 17 vs Jan 21) for Jan of 2017. The only difference is for 2017 it's on Reflection. For the 2017 the price is $50 LESS PER PERSON!

Perhaps it's the TA's they are bringing up on pricing due to the demand of them.

We share see with the January 2018 scheduled for release tomorrow.

I do concur that there was not a significant increase previously.

well yes you can....but that still doesn't explain the increase in overall pricing.....the TA I am on in April on Reflection 2016 has doubled in price for 2017....there is no "big better best" on the TA's those are just straight fares....

So the two are not related. The overall increase in pricing is explained in interviews by the CEOs of several cruise lines: prices were kept artificially low during the Great Recession; now that the economy is finally getting back on its feet, the cruise lines want to get prices back to their desired levels of ROI. That may also explain why they are looking for new customers (who don't expect to keep seeing the old depressed prices).

So the two are not related. The overall increase in pricing is explained in interviews by the CEOs of several cruise lines: prices were kept artificially low during the Great Recession; now that the economy is finally getting back on its feet, the cruise lines want to get prices back to their desired levels of ROI. That may also explain why they are looking for new customers (who don't expect to keep seeing the old depressed prices).

Just Corporate double speak to justify the high increases.

With oil the cruise lines biggest cost at a third of what it was and the cutting of services, amenities and staffing levels, food quality and addition of pay venues and the increase in dinning and drink prices.

The increase in gratuities, do you think the cruise lines increased the staff pay levels I haven't heard about it from staff but when you cut staffing yet raise drink prices and auto tip at the same time those who remain get a big bump in income to compensate for the added work load and stress. The same goes for room stewards who have more rooms assigned and Waite staff with more tables and the number of assistants reduced. They cut the number of Sommelier then raise the fee and price of the wine?

The introduction of even more fuel efficient big builds with higher passenger capacity but reduced staff and space to passenger ratios. They take older ships and take away space and add more cabins but not more crew.

The increase of sea days and the addition of overnights in Caribbean ports. You think this is for passenger satisfaction or the corporate bottom line? Why not add over nights in Barcelona, Rome, Amsterdam, Boston, South Hampton .... no they dock at industrial ports if possible and charge for a bus ride to town when ever possible.

The increase of different categories of cabins with elevated price structures is this for passenger satisfaction or to the bottom line?

I think I read one of the cruise lines is getting rid of table clothes in the dinning rooms and on Royal we were served shore sourced frozen deserts in a specialty restaurant and rumors pre made frozen breads to allow for staff reduction?

This is what you do during a recession not after one.

But they say they are pricing to what they should have been charging before they did all of these cuts and more?

McDonald's is adding better amenities and quality of food even extending breakfast hours to try and satisfy customer demand and retain their customer base.

I guess X has it figured out how to offer less, charge more and still improve passenger satisfaction and their over all cruise experience?

Edited by baldercash

Well I would agree with that if I hadn't been cruising through out the recession, and before, and after.

I was one of the lucky ones who was able to cruise the Med at an incredible price back in 2011 due to the recession and huge price reductions...our AQ room then was just under $1,600 for a 12 night cruise. The closest itinerary to ours on the new pricing is about $3,400...so I'd say they've MORE than recovered....

And perhaps you're right....perhaps that is why they are looking for new customers...perhaps there are enough people out there that will purchase at these new higher prices....and if there are then X will make a lot of money and stockholders will be happy.....and the rest of us will be making different vacation choices..... :)

First, we are fortunate to be in a position to evaluate this situation, most are not.

I concur with the previous poster (below) who I believe has succinctly summarized all the cutbacks, particularly the reduced ports which is a big turn off for me. That is a major reduction in product offering that the cheerleaders have tried to minimize.

Corporate greed is clearly prevalent at Celebrity along with many other corporations world wide.

Consumers aid the increased corporate greed by obediently purchasing a lesser product offering at a higher price and blindly accepting the "free" notion.

Well, not everyone does.

Given there are so many obedient consumers out there, Celebrity should have no difficulty filling their ships.

ABoatNerd

Quote:

Originally Posted by Host Jazzbeau View Post

With oil the cruise lines biggest cost at a third of what it was and the cutting of services, amenities and staffing levels, food quality and addition of pay venues and the increase in dinning and drink prices.

The increase in gratuities, do you think the cruise lines increased the staff pay levels I haven't heard about it from staff but when you cut staffing yet raise drink prices and auto tip at the same time those who remain get a big bump in income to compensate for the added work load and stress. The same goes for room stewards who have more rooms assigned and Waite staff with more tables and the number of assistants reduced. They cut the number of Sommelier then raise the fee and price of the wine?

The introduction of even more fuel efficient big builds with higher passenger capacity but reduced staff and space to passenger ratios. They take older ships and take away space and add more cabins but not more crew.

The increase of sea days and the addition of overnights in Caribbean ports. You think this is for passenger satisfaction or the corporate bottom line? Why not add over nights in Barcelona, Rome, Amsterdam, Boston, South Hampton .... no they dock at industrial ports if possible and charge for a bus ride to town when ever possible.

The increase of different categories of cabins with elevated price structures is this for passenger satisfaction or to the bottom line?

I think I read one of the cruise lines is getting rid of table clothes in the dinning rooms and on Royal we were served shore sourced frozen deserts in a specialty restaurant and rumors pre made frozen breads to allow for staff reduction?

But they say they are pricing to what they should have been charging before they did all of these cuts and more?

McDonald's is adding better amenities and quality of food even extending breakfast hours to try and satisfy customer demand and retain their customer base.

I guess X has it figured out how to offer less, charge more and still improve passenger satisfaction and their over all cruise experience?

My wife and myself just returned from a X cruise on the Reflection. I can say they are defiantly leaning to the younger crowd. A lot of entertainment was shadow dancing, club beat music and the twenty something club scene. One night it was erotic shadow dancing in the Martini bar, another is was called risque dancing and 21 and over in the wine bar. You could tell they were trying to pull in the young club scene. All in all I had a good time but the getting drunk and jumping around to music that is not music but a thump thump drum beat is not my scene. If it were not for my family that went with us, that has informed us of all the pit falls to watch for I would be very unhappy. From Jamaica being a dump of a country where the people run you back to the boat due to their constant hawking to asking you if you want to buy every kind of drug and do you want to party. Some of the eastern European and Asian staff were very rude. Most of the staff was if anything overly friendly as you could tell they were instructed to no let you pass without asking how your day was or good morning.

My wife and myself just returned from a X cruise on the Reflection. I can say they are defiantly leaning to the younger crowd. A lot of entertainment was shadow dancing, club beat music and the twenty something club scene. One night it was erotic shadow dancing in the Martini bar, another is was called risque dancing and 21 and over in the wine bar. You could tell they were trying to pull in the young club scene. All in all I had a good time but the getting drunk and jumping around to music that is not music but a thump thump drum beat is not my scene. If it were not for my family that went with us, that has informed us of all the pit falls to watch for I would be very unhappy. From Jamaica being a dump of a country where the people run you back to the boat due to their constant hawking to asking you if you want to buy every kind of drug and do you want to party. Some of the eastern European and Asian staff were very rude. Most of the staff was if anything overly friendly as you could tell they were instructed to no let you pass without asking how your day was or good morning.

Welcome to the MODERN LUXURY!;)

Okay I'll bite: what on earth is "erotic shadow dancing?"

I find it somewhat amusing that people are railing against the greed of Celebrity but would have no issues in taking advantage of deep discounts if the economy faltered and the cruise lines were having a hard time getting people to cruise. There is a ying and yang to the cruise industry. When times are good, prices increase. When times are bad, prices decrease.

I also find it ridiculous that some posters believe people are behaving in a blind manner by buying an inferior product. Determining the quality of product is so subjective. The great majority of the changes I could care less about. The changes will not impact me or my family. Finally, too many posters believe that customers fall for the corporate speak. When I book a cruise, I know that there is nothing free and the inclusions of the drink pack etc. in my fare comes at a cost.

I find it somewhat amusing that people are railing against the greed of Celebrity but would have no issues in taking advantage of deep discounts if the economy faltered and the cruise lines were having a hard time getting people to cruise. There is a ying and yang to the cruise industry. When times are good, prices increase. When times are bad, prices decrease.

I also find it ridiculous that some posters believe people are behaving in a blind manner by buying an inferior product. Determining the quality of product is so subjective. The great majority of the changes I could care less about. The changes will not impact me or my family. Finally, too many posters believe that customers fall for the corporate speak. When I book a cruise, I know that there is nothing free and the inclusions of the drink pack etc. in my fare comes at a cost.

Come now! You're being much to logical and reasonable! That just won't fly here!

:D (Great post!)

Edited by 1SGCruiser

Come now! You're being much to logical and reasonable! That just won't fly here!

:D (Great post!)

I appreciate everyone's point of view, and the obvious right we ALL have to our own personal ones. I'm glad that you both like what you get from Celebrity...as I said when I started this thread it was NOT meant to bash Celebrity but to get different views on why the price has increased as much as it has, and I personally believe it has more to do with than just "the economy is better than it was."

Fact is, things are different on X than they once were, some for the better,(bigger staterooms) some for the worse...many of which are stated in another current thread titled... "the good old days" AND that thread is not meant as a slam either by its OP, just a listing of changes.

I WILL say that those who have NEVER cruised before, on the whole, probably do NOT know what they are buying....they are trying something new...just as we all did at one time.... I know we paid FAR too much for our first two cruises... but have learned so much since then.... so yes, the consumer can be innocently spending too much if they know no difference. They are novices and they will learn....if the product makes them happy then they will come back...if not they will look elsewhere....

If you don't care about the changes that have happened and they don't affect you and the price increases are fine then you are one of the satisfied customers and Celebrity is lucky to have you....

We like the X product very much, then AND now....but paying twice as much for a cruise in 2017 then I did in 2016 is probably not going to happen....but you never know maybe those increases will level out a bit and we'll find ourselves on X once more!!:)

Edited by Gracie115

In real dollars, prices are still much cheaper then it was 20 years ago when I went on my first cruise. Everything is relative.

I disagree with the concept of ignorant consumer, especially in this day and age. There is a wealth of information out there that allows the consumer to make an informed decision, even if they have never been on a cruise before. This site, travel aggregators and various other websites provide a wealth of information. There are always going to be outliers but most people will exercise due diligence. With the advent of the web, pricing due diligence is among the easiest things to do.

If you have read the posts X states that now that times are good they are justified in raising the cost of their cruises since due to the bad economy they had kept the prices depressed over the past few years to get passengers.

People are on side with that we understand it is best business practice and to be expected.

But while the market was depressed X made adjustments to their product, cuts to service and quality of some offerings to remain solvent & profitable in spite of discount pricing and $110.00 a barrel oil prices.

We all remember the contract clause stating a surcharge could be charged if oil went over something like $79.00 a barrel. I am not sure if it was ever invoked put I never paid it.

So the company found efficiency's to prevent that.

Oil is $37.00 a barrel so they are saving a bundle and they have cut amenities, service, head count, food quality, taken public space and turned it into pay venues, added more cabins, raised gratuities and tip levels on drinks, they just stopped bottle water in Aqua class.

The cuts are not stopping X is downgrading quality to enhance profit at the same time they are raising their prices based on past standards they no longer support.

I know that there is nothing free and the inclusions of the drink pack etc. in my fare comes at a cost.

The changes may not impact you but the reality is even if you personally don't use them or care you still are paying more for a lesser quality product.

You don't seem to care and that is what X is counting on, so to each their own.

In real dollars, prices are still much cheaper then it was 20 years ago when I went on my first cruise. Everything is relative.

I disagree with the concept of ignorant consumer, especially in this day and age. There is a wealth of information out there that allows the consumer to make an informed decision, even if they have never been on a cruise before. This site, travel aggregators and various other websites provide a wealth of information. There are always going to be outliers but most people will exercise due diligence. With the advent of the web, pricing due diligence is among the easiest things to do.

I will agree with "SOME" people exercising their due diligence....certainly not most.... there is too much proof out there that we as a public don't do that.... just look at our political landscape for proof.... but... then.... no lets NOT go there......:eek::rolleyes:

If you have read the posts X states that now that times are good they are justified in raising the cost of their cruises since due to the bad economy they had kept the prices depressed over the past few years to get passengers.

People are on side with that we understand it is best business practice and to be expected.

But while the market was depressed X made adjustments to their product, cuts to service and quality of some offerings to remain solvent & profitable in spite of discount pricing and $110.00 a barrel oil prices.

We all remember the contract clause stating a surcharge could be charged if oil went over something like $79.00 a barrel. I am not sure if it was ever invoked put I never paid it.

So the company found efficiency's to prevent that.

Oil is $37.00 a barrel so they are saving a bundle and they have cut amenities, service, head count, food quality, taken public space and turned it into pay venues, added more cabins, raised gratuities and tip levels on drinks, they just stopped bottle water in Aqua class.

The cuts are not stopping X is downgrading quality to enhance profit at the same time they are raising their prices based on past standards they no longer support.

I know that there is nothing free and the inclusions of the drink pack etc. in my fare comes at a cost.

The changes may not impact you but the reality is even if you personally don't use them or care you still are paying more for a lesser quality product.

You don't seem to care and that is what X is counting on, so to each their own.

I do care, but I care about what is important to me. Personal preferences are completely subjective and therefore, if Celebrity gets rid of fresh cut flowers, stationery, a bottle of water, or a space that is never used, it will not impact my enjoyment on the cruise. What is important to you may not be important to me. We aren't suckers but instead have different interests or priorities. If Celebrity makes changes that will impact my cruising experience, I will take my business elsewhere.

I do care, but I care about what is important to me. Personal preferences are completely subjective and therefore, if Celebrity gets rid of fresh cut flowers, stationery, a bottle of water, or a space that is never used, it will not impact my enjoyment on the cruise. What is important to you may not be important to me. We aren't suckers but instead have different interests or priorities. If Celebrity makes changes that will impact my cruising experience, I will take my business elsewhere.

Another good one!

First, we are fortunate to be in a position to evaluate this situation, most are not.

I concur with the previous poster (below) who I believe has succinctly summarized all the cutbacks, particularly the reduced ports which is a big turn off for me. That is a major reduction in product offering that the cheerleaders have tried to minimize.

Corporate greed is clearly prevalent at Celebrity along with many other corporations world wide.

Consumers aid the increased corporate greed by obediently purchasing a lesser product offering at a higher price and blindly accepting the "free" notion.

Well, not everyone does.

Given there are so many obedient consumers out there, Celebrity should have no difficulty filling their ships.

ABoatNerd

Quote:

Only the red part above is quoted from my post. There is a "Quote" button that will neatly quote what people say, and only what they say. Your post puts words in my mouth that I never said.

Well, not everyone does.

ABoatNerd

Quote:

And after all that at the end of the day if it's no longer value for money people won't purchase the product and prices will drop back down again. If it is they will sail with pretty full ships which I believe they are.

For me it's just another product among the thousands I purchase in my everyday life and I make that change to another product if it no longer fits with what I want. And for all the negativity on this forum that's all it is, nothing more, nothing less. I think Sandals resorts are overpriced but thousands don't and they do well. I thought my last cruise with Celebrity was the best I've ever had on a cruise line so at this point I'm happy.

No.....I don't think you have it right....it take 10 times as much to keep a customer as to acquire a new one and Celebrity can change the loyalty program any time it desires to make it "more profitable" from a business perspective your view just does not make sense. Also, I believe that Celebrity is doing quite well with the current customer base. I think they are simply planning for the future, attempting to lure a younger customer group in to replace the big loss of baby boomers that are dying so as to remain competitive..

This is NOT meant to be a slam on Celebrity...just a reflection that the philosophy going forward with Celebrity is to dissuade long term Celebrity cruisers from booking more cruises with X. With the high number of Elite, Elite Plus and even Zenith passengers that occur on so many cruises it is probably not profitable to cater to that group anymore, so I believe we may be witnessing a "culling of the breed" so to speak.

I don't think it is about getting younger cruisers anywhere near as much as it is about getting NEW cruisers at any age.

It IS disappointing, but it is also a move by the business to increase profitability and the customer base. It used to be that new itineraries would come out and those of us who booked early received wonderful pricing and we scooped up all the prime rooms in doing so....(all the suites on spring Reflection TA 2016 were gone in a matter of days, although a couple have cancelled and now reflect the MUCH higher pricing structure) ... so engaging a new philosophy when opening up the 2017/18 itineraries a new pricing structure is emerging that is not appealing to those same people because the price is SO MUCH higher and therefore they, us included, have decided to "wait and see" or just not bother with X at all for the time being. If X's gamble pays off they wind up with an entirely new clientele who pay the higher price with no issue and eliminate the non profitable "dead weight" of all us Elites and up who have cruised with them for decades. It's not a bad philosophy...IF IT WORKS.....if it doesn't they will be scrambling to have some of us back, with lower fares closer to sail date...

It's a waiting game..... I'm not happy about the new fares, or the perceived cut back in perks either and I am looking at other lines. Will keep an eye on X's pricing to see which way it goes.... it's a great product for sure, but I think perhaps we Elites and up have "worn out our welcome" and are being "culled from the X brand..." just a thought...who knows if I'm right or not!!!:)

No.....I don't think you have it right....it take 10 times as much to keep a customer as to acquire a new one and Celebrity can change the loyalty program any time it desires to make it "more profitable" from a business perspective your view just does not make sense. Also, I believe that Celebrity is doing quite well with the current customer base. I think they are simply planning for the future, attempting to lure a younger customer group in to replace the big loss of baby boomers that are dying so as to remain competitive..

And maybe you are right...and I am wrong...I posed the query to see what others thought, not looking for a fight... some agreed with me, some with you and others had other ideas.... we're probably ALL a bit right.

X is doing just fine NOW, hopefully they will continue to do so.... we may or may not be a part of it... which may or may not matter to X .... it will matter if there are many that decide the product is no longer what they want....

Oh....I think your statement about "baby boomers" dying is a bit premature.....that generation was born between 1946 and 1964...so most are just now reaching retirement age and unless the average length of life has suddenly dropped by 15-20 years will be around for at least a bit longer..:D

Thank you Host Jazzbeau regarding my earlier post, my pasting attempt was unsuccessful - the quotation that I referenced was that from baldercash who referenced you within their post.

One of my key points regarding the Celebrity of the past, versus the Celebrity of today, is this - my household used to know the following and it made for a confident purchasing decision:

* Celebrity deliberately chose to provide a "premium" product and experience - sort of a higher than middle class product aimed at professional couples from international locations; not primarily USA

* Celebrity's overall product was of a higher standard than the other mass lines - everything from the welcome back shore excursion seating and beverages to food quality and service

* On board experience was focused on education classes, food, health and socializing - now it is drinking and shrilling for people to purchase stuff

The Celebrity of old was a class experience.

It seems to me that Celebrity has abandoned the "premium" level in the cruise line hierarchy and is now just another cruise line. The other thread "good old days" demonstrates the Celebrity product of the past.

Reports from the past year noting the decline in quality and service, the high pressure sales tactics, the captain's daily announcement now used to sell shore excursions, emphasis on booze consumption, loud canned music, elimination of activities which brought guests together and the latest "erotic shadow dancing" on the Reflection out of Miami - gives a picture on the decline of a once unique and proud cruise line that had a firm focus on their high end product.

A new Celebrity product is emerging I guess, not very appealing to our household. Hopefully the new patrons of the future will embrace it and keep Celebrity solvent.

ABoatNerd