Premium Drink package - Wine by the glass

readyforacruiseagain

Au contraire - we are big wine drinkers!

I wasn't clear in what I wrote. I wasn't trying to say that any package should include unlimited wines.

The point of my post wasn't to say we shouldn't be allowed to order drinks (wine or otherwise) above the limit but to point out that drinks (again wine and otherwise) that used to be included in the premium package were now "just" a slight overcharge.

At home we enjoy many really nice wines but because of price inflation and possible storage issues we defer to more modest wines on the ship.

Those modest wines have increased more per glass on Celebrity than they have per bottle in our local wine store.

There was a Cabernet that 2 years ago fit in the premium package and last year was "just" $1.50/glass extra. Bet that same wine is now $2 to $3 extra.

Got it. That makes more sense. You are correct I misunderstood.

I wasn't clear in what I wrote. I wasn't trying to say that any package should include unlimited wines.

The point of my post wasn't to say we shouldn't be allowed to order drinks (wine or otherwise) above the limit but to point out that drinks (again wine and otherwise) that used to be included in the premium package were now "just" a slight overcharge.

At home we enjoy many really nice wines but because of price inflation and possible storage issues we defer to more modest wines on the ship.

Those modest wines have increased more per glass on Celebrity than they have per bottle in our local wine store.

There was a Cabernet that 2 years ago fit in the premium package and last year was "just" $1.50/glass extra. Bet that same wine is now $2 to $3 extra.

Chamima - you speak the truth . The wine by the glass selection even with the so called Premium Beverage package is pathetic. I also do object to the term "wine snob " - I enjoy good wine - am not "snobby" about it -- and believe Celebrity can indeed do as they did a couple of years ago- that is provide a reasonable selection of varietals inside the package that is appropriate for those who enjoy more than the very ordinary and limited offerings.

$13;50 per glass should easily be enough . By recently removing wines and not replacing them devalues the premium package. Even requiring wines such as Dry Creek Zinfandel and Conundrum to be extra charges now(these were indeed previously included ) is miserly given the pricepoint these wines sell at. It becomes even more of a problem when you are offered the wine by the glass list in the Specialty restaurants.

I also agree that we should be able to pay above the $13;50 limit for superior wine if thats what we want - no-one expects a glass of Screaming Eagle for $13.50 - What I think is reasonable is that the Premium Beverage Package reflects the same quality for wine as it does for Spirits & cocktails & beers included --- which are excellent and still makes the package worth buying in my opinion.

I very much enjoyed an Italian white wine called

Gavi di Gavi..it was a northern white varietal.

It was available in cellar masters and I would pick up a glass on the way into dinner. The premium package covered it.

We love Gavi but it was not available at any venue on the Summit this past February and October. It would be great if it is now available on our February cruise in 2016. I had even brought it up to the Head Sommelier and he confirmed it was not on our ship.

We love Gavi but it was not available at any venue on the Summit this past February and October. It would be great if it is now available on our February cruise in 2016. I had even brought it up to the Head Sommelier and he confirmed it was not on our ship.

We were recently on the Millenium and had bought the premium wine package. We don't really drink spririts but do drink the odd cocktail or two but we love wine and drink a fair amount hence our decision to buy the package. I was very disappointed at the choice of wines available for everyone on the ship, not just those on packages. It seemed to be a choice of two or three of each variety (if you were lucky). There was also a significant lack of dialogue between the two main bars, I would ask for something at one and they would respond with 'we don't have it try the other bar' In most cases the other bar would say the same! The bar at the top of the ship was always closed until 10pm due to 'private functions' so nothing available there either. At dinner, the sommelier would ask what wine you would like, I always asked for a Cava but most times he would just come along and pour a Blanc de Blanc without even checking with me. Our table had three couples, us two on the premium package, another two on Classic Package (came with their booking) and the final two with no package. On every evening without fail we were served exactly the same wine as the two on the classic packages, even though we had requested something different. He would just come along and pour without a word, and if I did question him he would say 'we don't have that choice available'! I complained twice, once to the Head Sommellier, once at the Customer Services, however nothing changed, apart from on day 13 when we received five chocolate covered strawberries as an apology! Our whole experience on Celebrity was marred by this, it was our first trip. Never again would I purchase a package with Celebrity, I would prefer to pay as I go in order to ensure I get what I ask for. :mad:

I agree with jagoffee....seriously, that is like saying, your $10 bottle of wine at the grocers should include Stags Leap. We all know wine is inflated on board anyway. But if you're smart enough to get your classic pkg free included with a booking as our upcoming Solstice was, then the extra couple bucks for the better vintage is greatly appreciated..:D

We also know that they are not losing money, but a lot of people pay for their packages. It can be done without $$. Our booking didn't cost any more than online bookings and we got a heck of a deal with the 123Go promotion onboard booking.

We were recently on the Millenium and had bought the premium wine package. We don't really drink spririts but do drink the odd cocktail or two but we love wine and drink a fair amount hence our decision to buy the package. I was very disappointed at the choice of wines available for everyone on the ship, not just those on packages. It seemed to be a choice of two or three of each variety (if you were lucky). There was also a significant lack of dialogue between the two main bars, I would ask for something at one and they would respond with 'we don't have it try the other bar' In most cases the other bar would say the same! The bar at the top of the ship was always closed until 10pm due to 'private functions' so nothing available there either. At dinner, the sommelier would ask what wine you would like, I always asked for a Cava but most times he would just come along and pour a Blanc de Blanc without even checking with me. Our table had three couples, us two on the premium package, another two on Classic Package (came with their booking) and the final two with no package. On every evening without fail we were served exactly the same wine as the two on the classic packages, even though we had requested something different. He would just come along and pour without a word, and if I did question him he would say 'we don't have that choice available'! I complained twice, once to the Head Sommellier, once at the Customer Services, however nothing changed, apart from on day 13 when we received five chocolate covered strawberries as an apology! Our whole experience on Celebrity was marred by this, it was our first trip. Never again would I purchase a package with Celebrity, I would prefer to pay as I go in order to ensure I get what I ask for. :mad:

I am sorry to hear you has such a hard time and perhaps some bad luck. Just in case you get a free package sometime and do it again:

1. The wine menu at the various venues are in fact different from my experience.

2. I always look at the wine list to order my wine by the glass. I almost never drink the wine that is included in the Classic package. If the wine that I select is not available I just pick another one from the list usually at the higher end of the premium and occasionally over. Of course if the Sommellier wants to serve the more expensive wine to the people on the Classic package that is OK with me. So if he said we do not have that available then I would ask to see the wine list again. It sounds like you have a very lazy and poor Sommellier. Hopefully you did not leave it to him/her to pick your wine after he exhibited that behavior. I assume you did not ask him to just pick a wine for you. I also would have complained every day including all levels of management in the dining room. I am shocked that they did not resolve your issue.

3. You must have had a lot of large groups on board. I have never seen or heard of the Sky Lounge being closed to the public until 10 PM every night. They have the private cocktail party from 5-7 PM except for two nights, but it opened after that time.

4. Of course unless the Classic package is an included Perk and you pay just the upgrade charge then if you do not drink cocktails, craft beers, or are willing to pay the difference for even better fines then the cost of the package is not worth it IMO.

I doubt it makes you feel a lot better, but I can tell you in all my cruises I have never seen the Sky Lounge closed until 10 PM every night or a Sommeiller that would not allow me to pick my own wine forcing me into a wine within the Classic package.

I agree with jagoffee....seriously, that is like saying, your $10 bottle of wine at the grocers should include Stags Leap. We all know wine is inflated on board anyway. But if you're smart enough to get your classic pkg free included with a booking as our upcoming Solstice was, then the extra couple bucks for the better vintage is greatly appreciated..:D

We also know that they are not losing money, but a lot of people pay for their packages. It can be done without $$. Our booking didn't cost any more than online bookings and we got a heck of a deal with the 123Go promotion onboard booking.

Actually I initially misunderstood Chamima point and I do not disagree with Chamima's point.

If several years ago I had several favorite wines by the glass that were include in the Premium package and the cost of the package increased and those wines were also now excluded I would be disappointed. As long as it is the same general vintage I would hope this would be very rare. I personally have not experience this, but I would not like it if I did.

I am sorry to hear you has such a hard time and perhaps some bad luck. Just in case you get a free package sometime and do it again:

1. The wine menu at the various venues are in fact different from my experience.

2. I always look at the wine list to order my wine by the glass. I almost never drink the wine that is included in the Classic package. If the wine that I select is not available I just pick another one from the list usually at the higher end of the premium and occasionally over. Of course if the Sommellier wants to serve the more expensive wine to the people on the Classic package that is OK with me. So if he said we do not have that available then I would ask to see the wine list again. It sounds like you have a very lazy and poor Sommellier. Hopefully you did not leave it to him/her to pick your wine after he exhibited that behavior. I assume you did not ask him to just pick a wine for you. I also would have complained every day including all levels of management in the dining room. I am shocked that they did not resolve your issue.

3. You must have had a lot of large groups on board. I have never seen or heard of the Sky Lounge being closed to the public until 10 PM every night. They have the private cocktail party from 5-7 PM except for two nights, but it opened after that time.

4. Of course unless the Classic package is an included Perk and you pay just the upgrade charge then if you do not drink cocktails, craft beers, or are willing to pay the difference for even better fines then the cost of the package is not worth it IMO.

I doubt it makes you feel a lot better, but I can tell you in all my cruises I have never seen the Sky Lounge closed until 10 PM every night or a Sommeiller that would not allow me to pick my own wine forcing me into a wine within the Classic package.

There were a couple of largish groups on board, but I'm not sure which one took over the sky lounge each night. Elite cruisers were each given vouchers to spend in the other bars to compensate, but this didn't help us. Some of the sommeiliers in the dining room were also over busy - on our first night we managed to get only one glass of wine served at the table before he disapeared never to be seen again!

I did look at the wine list but in my opinion it was not very extensive. Before we sailed I had printed out a list which had been kindly put on the boards by a fellow cruiser from his sailing, however there was hardly any of those listed available on board. We were told by one barman that the sail before (and the one before that) had been a private charter and it seems the stock was not replenished in Yokohama before we set sail. For example I love sparkling wine and I found a lovely French one available at one bar. I was told it was only one of two bottles on board so once it had finished that was it! The same thing happened with my hubbies favourite craft beer, only three bottles available for the whole cruise! After our experience I would never recommend buying a drinks package on Celebrity, unless it's a freebie!

No Medoc on the Infinity in Oct and on the Equinox I had it for 4 days and then gone! No bordeaux on the whole ship! They kept bringing me wine that didn't even come close to a bordeaux which is my favorite. They said they had trouble getting any! I said gee I found lots of it in Florida. The whole tower of wine in the dining room was half full! The wine certificate on the outside of the dining room is a joke. I wonder if Michaels club had any? Hmmmmm....:rolleyes: