Steakhouse whats your opinion?

CJHAN

We went once and thought it was ok, but not worth the extra charge. We will probably never try it again. I am curious about the chefs table though.

I am definitely going on the Chefs table in September(I am already signed up). I have read so many many reviews and opinions about the Chefs table and I have never read anything negative, which is amazing.

So DW and I tried the steakhouse for the first time on the Magic. The food was kind of just ok not good enough for us to go back. It very wll could have been that we made bad choices on our meals. Has anyone experienced this and tried again and enjoyed it. In short is one not great experience worth not trying again?

We just got off the Conquest and ate two nights at the Steakhouse. It was ok but not awesome. However, the question posed is a bit unfair, although the menu is the same, the chefs are different on each ship so the flavors may be different.

That's my point: there WAS no 6:30! :confused: There was no 7:30, 8:30....they were all on the hour reservations! :confused::confused: Otherwise I would have booked 6:30 to begin with lol. I booked on the CCL website. Those are the only time "options" to choose from. In the scheme of life, it's no big deal! ;)

So how did your friends get a 6:30 reservation? Also, reservations can be changed once on board and I know you can get a 6:30 there (I believe they have reservation times 15 minutes apart). Or have your friends move to 6:00 since those are showing on the website.

Edit: Okay so I read your second post. Are you going on the Pride? I know that only a certain percentage of reservations can be pre-booked so it's possible there were 6:30 reservations but those were already taken by the time you booked. Or maybe they only show the hourly ones on the ship you are sailing and the Pride only shows the half hour ones. Since you will be by yourselves (no friends), visit the folks in the Atrium as soon as you board that are taking reservations and ask to be changed to 6:30. Should be no problem whatsoever.

Edited by Who Cares?

So how did your friends get a 6:30 reservation? Also, reservations can be changed once on board and I know you can get a 6:30 there (I believe they have reservation times 15 minutes apart). Or have your friends move to 6:00 since those are showing on the website.

Edit: Okay so I read your second post. Are you going on the Pride? I know that only a certain percentage of reservations can be pre-booked so it's possible there were 6:30 reservations but those were already taken by the time you booked. Or maybe they only show the hourly ones on the ship you are sailing and the Pride only shows the half hour ones. Since you will be by yourselves (no friends), visit the folks in the Atrium as soon as you board that are taking reservations and ask to be changed to 6:30. Should be no problem whatsoever.

Oh,yea....I know they always have the staff with the tables displaying the foods/wines for the steakhouse when you board to make reservations. I will ask them if we can switch to 6:30. Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

We go to the Steakhouse at least once a cruise, sometimes twice.

I've never made reservations on the website, I just send them an email with my requested time and never had a problem. Include the amount of people and your booking number.

For the pride, it's prsteakhouse@carnival.com

Eileen

I just noticed the email on the reservation confirmation I printed out. I will email them and try to switch times. Thanks! ;)

In reality, you are still paying for the steakhouse meal - the $35 is the "upcharge" to cover the expense difference. $35 would never get you a meal at a "comparable" steakhouse on land, like Ruth Chris. In fact, that wouldn't cover most of the entree's they offer, let alone the appetizer, salad and dessert courses. That is why many find the steakhouse to be a bargain.

I have to agree with you. We found the value for what we received in the Steakhouse to be pretty good and enjoyed our first experience on the Liberty in April of 2015. I just booked the Steakhouse for the first night of the cruise to take advantage of the free bottle of wine and to celebrate my Birthday. Factoring in this up charge as part of our cruise experience is worth it to us.

Edited by tawaik

Oh,yea....I know they always have the staff with the tables displaying the foods/wines for the steakhouse when you board to make reservations. I will ask them if we can switch to 6:30. Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Glad I could help. Hope you enjoy your cruise and you steakhouse night.

P.S. - If you have room and enjoy cheesecake, try the steakhouse cheesecake. It's delicious and as big as a house! :eek: :D

Glad I could help. Hope you enjoy your cruise and you steakhouse night.

P.S. - If you have room and enjoy cheesecake, try the steakhouse cheesecake. It's delicious and as big as a house! :eek: :D

The cheesecake is indeed towering huge and absurdly delicious. It is nothing like the imitation cheesecake they sometimes try to pass off in the MDR.

I stopped ordering it my last few cruises as I was dining solo and it was just too much for me to eat after my meal.

Just got off the Conquest. Went to the steakhouse the first night and really loved it. Service was excellent and the food was tops. It was also nice to be able to get another bottle of wine (half price) for our room. We also brought the leftovers back to the room and had a wonderful filet for a snack the next day. We will go again, and probably on the first night for the wine deals.

The cheesecake is indeed towering huge and absurdly delicious. It is nothing like the imitation cheesecake they sometimes try to pass off in the MDR.

I stopped ordering it my last few cruises as I was dining solo and it was just too much for me to eat after my meal.

See my Magic review. a picture of the cheesecake is in there.

The food is very good in the steakhouse ; however the Coffee was the worst

I have ever had. Instant served bearly warm

Which ship were you on? How was the coffee on the Lido or MDR? Should have been the same.

Regarding the Steakhouse, we typically book for once during the cruise on a day that's not a formal night or the first and last night, or a night serving a dessert in the MDR we like such as the Grand Marnier soufflé or the Crème Brule. We try to pick a night when the MDR menu will be a bit mediocre. Since DW likes to eat relatively early, we'll generally look to make advanced reservations and if we decide to change, we do so once on board. Fairly easy to do but with the risk of having to take a later time.

The Steakhouse quality is not going to be that of a Peter Lugar's, Charlie's, Bern's, Knife, McKendrick's etc. but certainly above what you'd find at mass chains like Outback and Longhorn and sometimes better than but at least on par with higher end chains like Ruth Chris or Capital Grill.

So DW and I tried the steakhouse for the first time on the Magic. The food was kind of just ok not good enough for us to go back. It very wll could have been that we made bad choices on our meals. Has anyone experienced this and tried again and enjoyed it. In short is one not great experience worth not trying again?

I did it once but wouldn't repeat it. And to pay $35 on top of what you've already paid for a service meal isn't worth it. We have also found the room is always empty, although I have read otherwise.

Went to the steakhouse on the Miracle this past November. What a disappointment. It was so lackluster. The lobster bisque tasted like cream of coffee soup. The meat was tender but tasteless. The sides were no better than The MDR. Save your $$$ .

I'm kind of shocked to hear all of the negative feedback regarding the Steakhouse. My wife and I have decided to go for the first time during our upcoming February cruise (well, my first time but nor hers); after reading some of the responses, I'm almost wondering if we should just stick to the MDR instead.

I've always heard the food was amazing, and the atmosphere was spectacular...and while I typically take negative things on the board with a grain of salt, I'm thinking maybe the Steakhouses are slipping to the point of not being worth the extra $35. It's food for thought, I guess.

I think it just depends on the ship, and the chef. The Steakhouse on the Legend was INCREDIBLE. A meal of that quality and caliber of service at a land based restaurant locally would have cost me at least twice as much. It was so good we went twice.

On the Liberty, not so much. The best word to describe it would be "disappointing". Not that the meal was bad per se, but it just wasn't anything special that I would get excited about. I would have been just as happy to have gone to the buffet or MDR.

When deciding whether or not to book the Steakhouse on the Valor I had the same worries as you. Had the quality slipped? Was it worth the extra cash? Was it worth packing an extra "nice outfit" and dressing up for it?

Long story short, the Steakhouse on the Valor blew me away. It was over-the-top food quality and service. (This is coming from a vegetarian who was dining with a dedicated carnivore; so the chef had to be doing something right.) It was so good we ended up going twice on the Valor, and would've gone a third if we could've got a reservation. They were nearly full both times we were there.

Give it a shot. Sometimes you get a winner, sometimes not; but my experience has been more positive than not.

I am wondering about tipping. We are going to be eating free in the steakhouse since we will be Diamond and that is one of the "perks." IDK if a tip is given to the waitpersons by the ship or we should tip the regular 15%??? Would most likely tip a bit extra anyway, but I don't want it to be below what they would get for a "regular paying customer." :confused: