What else compares to the Haven??

Willowmina

I have enjoyed my time in the Haven on the Epic & Breakaway. We currently have reservations for the Escape in 2017, but I'm not sure that we will be sailing with NCL for a 3rd time.

My question is - are there any other cruise ships that can provide the same service and amenities as the Haven - and entertain my 10 and 12 year old daughters?

I've started looking at Celebrity - are the pools as crowded as NCL??

Thanks in advance for your help!

We are looking at MSC YC. Sailing today NCL Spirit (no Haven) but last trip was DCL Fantasy Concierge - they do it the best although they really jacked up their rates for this year and next which typically (but not always) run more than an NCL Haven trip.

I would vote for MSC Yacht Club (YC). Not a bad price for the ship within a ship concept. Private lounge, pool, and dining. All drinks WITHIN the YC is included. I also hear it is kid friendly as well.

Edited by FireEater

Royal Caribbean's suites (Grand Suite & above) have similar perks to The Haven (except for the private "pool"). The perks really shine on Oasis & Quantum class ships and perks are getting better on those two ships next year. Costs will be similar, if not cheaper, for RCCL.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royalsuiteclass

Royal Caribbean's suites (Grand Suite & above) have similar perks to The Haven (except for the private "pool"). The perks really shine on Oasis & Quantum class ships and perks are getting better on those two ships next year. Costs will be similar, if not cheaper, for RCCL.

I should add that, at this point anyway, the suite-only restaurant, Coastal Kitchen, is a slight step up from the main dining rooms. Looking at the menu for The Haven restaurant it looks more like a specialty restaurant. Also complimentary wine, beer, soft drinks, and juice are available in the Suite Lounge from 11a-11p and complimentary cocktails are added from 5-8:30. We really enjoyed our suite experience a few weeks ago on the Allure of the Seas and are looking forward to The Haven on the Escape next November!

I have enjoyed my time in the Haven on the Epic & Breakaway. We currently have reservations for the Escape in 2017, but I'm not sure that we will be sailing with NCL for a 3rd time.

My question is - are there any other cruise ships that can provide the same service and amenities as the Haven - and entertain my 10 and 12 year old daughters?

Yes, the pools are just as crowded. A few months back, Celebrity made a suite dining room. I must say, Celebrity is a great cruise line. I've read reviews that posters children love Celebrity. More children during holidays and summer, otherwise not so many.

What makes NCL "suite perks" outshine those of luxury cruises?

I have not sailed the other smaller lines but for me its having all the big ship amenities, Water slides, ropes course, specialty restaurants and big entertainment shows then being able to escape to a quiet not crowded area and relax. Its the private pool and Hot tubs.

Its the whole ship within a ship concept that appeals to me.

I could care less about eating in my room but I enjoy having the Haven restaurant as a uncrowned easy breakfast and lunch option.

I've been closely watching the Summer 2016 rates for Royal on the Oasis and Quantum class ships. I have a H4 Haven booked for the Breakaway, but was willing to give Royal another chance with the new enhancements coming to their suite perks. We've sailed with them once before in a suite, but it could not compare with the perks offered by NCL Haven.

You must book A2 or higher category (Sky Class) to make the perks comparable to NCL Haven; all-inclusive specialty dining, drink package, free internet, butler, and gratuities (I booked my Haven when the promotion included gratuities rather than shore excursion credit). Royal will not have a private courtyard and pool area for suite guest. Also, the new suite enhancements will only be offered on the Oasis and Quantum class ships.

Even with Royal's BOGO 50% off second guest, it's still $2,500 more expensive for a A2 on the Oasis than a H4 Haven on the Breakaway for the same week in August. I can book a lower category suite (A3) in the Star Class and the cost is still $1,500 more expensive than the H4, and it doesn't include specialty dining, drink package, butler, and gratuities. I picked the Oasis because it was the cheapest option of the Oasis and Quantum class ships for this timeframe. All others where more expensive for the same week.

So, we've decided to stick with NCL, since its the most bang for our buck and we know we enjoy the private courtyard and pool. I have not been able to find a better deal on Royal for comparable perks. I will check out MSC though, never considered that!

Edited by ksmcali

If you want the absolute ultimate experience book the Garden Villa on the Star or Dawn! (They are sister ships so the garden villas of these ships are the most similar). We just cruised in the GV on the Star in November. It was hands down our best cruise ever! You truly feel like royalty when you are in the garden villa. It was the BEST money spent of any vacation, ever.

I'm booked on a Inside YC cabin o the new ship MSC Maraviglia, for 2017. EUR 1,000 per person for the complete Yatch club experience. I think it's an excellent price! If it was a standard suite YC cabin it would have been EUR 2,500 per person. Still not bad.

FOR YC do you put down deposit and pay the rest before x date or pay for it all at once?

When I booked the YC, I only had to pay $100 deposit per person. Not sure if that is the rate for all cabins though. I had till x date to pay off the rest, just like any other line.

... for me its having all the big ship amenities, Water slides, ropes course, specialty restaurants and big entertainment shows then being able to escape to a quiet not crowded area and relax. Its the private pool and Hot tubs.

Its the whole ship within a ship concept that appeals to me.

I could care less about eating in my room but I enjoy having the Haven restaurant as a uncrowned easy breakfast and lunch option.

Ditto! My husband commented a couple times during our Escape cruise that he preferred the smaller Haven on the Jewel more, but loved the zipline/ropes course on the Escape. We both enjoyed having a lounge and restaurant within the Haven though, and for that, I preferred the Escape's Haven.

FOR YC do you put down deposit and pay the rest before x date or pay for it all at once?

Unless they have recently changed their policy, the deposit for YC is $200 for a couple, which is very cheap compared to Haven deposit prices. We have a royal suite booked and we're paying $2,000 less than we did for our Haven courtyard penthouse last year. Final payment is due 90 days before our cruise.

I booked from a travel Agency, so I was asked to pay 40% deposit and the rest up to 3 months before the sailing date. I'm in Europe, it might be different in the US.

We were in the Garden Villa on the Star last December; we just got off the Jade a couple weeks ago and stayed in a Garden Villa.

The Jewel class GVs layouts are different from the Dawn class GVs. The Jade is part of the Jewel class and the Star is part of the Dawn class ships.

These are awesome suites. Nothing compares to them at sea. We sailed with the same group of people both times. Although we did like the Star's GV and the ship, we preferred the Jade's GV more.

You should really try a Jewel class Garden Villa. You won't be sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at doing a med cruise for Christmas 2016.

NCL spirit penthouse suite (no haven) $11,000.

MSC Splendida YC, $4300, which includes a 10 % military discount.

No military discount on NCL.

Same week, same length and almost all the same ports.

It is a no brainer to book the MSC yacht club.

Lois

Edited by electro

Looking at doing a med cruise for Christmas 2016.

NCL spirit penthouse suite (no haven) $11,000.

MSC Splendida YC, $4300, which includes a 10 % military discount.

No military discount on NCL.

Same week, same length and almost all the same ports.

It is a no brainer to book the MSC yacht club.

Lois

We've considered the yacht club for a future cruise. I'll have to let my husband know about the military discount!

We've considered the yacht club for a future cruise. I'll have to let my husband know about the military discount!

It is 5% for inside and ocean view and 10% on balcony and above.

I've gotten it all all 3 of the MSC cruises I've taken so I think it is offered on all sailings.

Out of 17 cruises booked on NCL, I've gotten the military discount once.