What is the 1 Most Important Thing you Forgto to Pack?

take us away

A a trip to Bermuda, I forgot to pack extra panties! Fortunately I had a couple of pairs in my carry on! I was able to purchase them in Bermuda without a problem. I do not like to hand wash certain items, as they never seem to dry and hanging on the balcony makes the ship look like a tenament!

Edited by Cruise a holic

A a trip to Bermuda, I forgot to pack extra panties! Fortunately I had a couple of pairs in my carry on! I was able to purchase them in Bermuda without a problem. I do not like to hand wash certain items, as they never seem to dry and hanging on the balcony makes the ship look like a tenament!

No need to use the balcony, which is not allowed anyway----there is a handy pull out clothesline over every HAL bathtub. Just remember to pack clothespins. :)

I do all my husband's packing. He hasn't a clue what he is taking until we unpack in our cabin. If I left him to his own devices it would be a recipe for disaster. I think you are right about genetics-----a small defect. :D

I start setting things out about five weeks before the cruise and put his things in one bedroom and mine in another. We tend to take longer cruises so I start early. I work from a list that I have been compiling for months. When it is time to pack I cross pack both our clothes in four suitcases with outfits that go together so that even if bags are lost we will both have outfits we can wear.

I use packing cubes to store all the bits and pieces such as lanyards, hole punch, bottle opener, post it notes, band aids, OTC meds etc.. I don't worry about putting OTC meds in a checked bag as they are easily replaced.

We travel to the port three days early so I have the suitcase that holds everything we will want pre cruise marked so we only have to open one suitcase in the hotel. That saves a lot of searching around.

I take along a list of liquid type supplies to pick up in the port prior to sailing so that nothing is forgotten there---and I do mean shampoo, lotions etc in addition to wine. :)

Before I close each suitcase I place an information sheet with contact information and the name of our hotel and cruise ship/date on top. I do up two airline tags for each bag as I have seen them accidentally torn off in the past.

I also attach two HAL tags on each bag prior to boarding for the same reason.

I use distinctive luggage straps on our bags so they can be spotted easily on the luggage carousel. That way if someone grabs a bag before it gets to us we can see that. The straps reduce the possibility of mistaken identity anyway. They also make the bags easy to spot among the jumble of bags upon disembarkation.

To further make it unlikely someone may mistakenly grab a bag I put a piece of yellow duct tape with our last name in indelible marker on the side of the bag.

I do many of the same things as Sapper. Years ago DH got angry saying he could pack for himself. :rolleyes: I had a lapse in judgement and allowed him...or I was just exhausted and had my hands full packing for a 2 and 5 year olds as well as working. Well I packed the carry on bags, thank goodness, as himself did not pack his pyjama shorts and only had the one pair in the carry on. He has never tried to pack dine!

Gets worse - have a column for 'prepared' and another column for 'packed' which gets color-coded. - have 3 suitcases this trip so pink, green and blue markers were used as always anticipate 1 bag will be delayed. The socks are colored a lot! Then there is the black checks for carry-on!

My DH was responsible for his own packing but only after I reviewed the list!

Now I do not feel so guilty about my LARGE duffel and my carryon for 89 days.

I do many of the same things as Sapper. Years ago DH got angry saying he could pack for himself. :rolleyes: I had a lapse in judgement and allowed him...or I was just exhausted and had my hands full packing for a 2 and 5 year olds as well as working. Well I packed the carry on bags, thank goodness, as himself did not pack his pyjama shorts and only had the one pair in the carry on. He has never tried to pack dine!

I agree----that WAS a major lapse in judgement. :eek:

I do all my husband's packing. He hasn't a clue what he is taking until we unpack in our cabin. If I left him to his own devices it would be a recipe for disaster. I think you are right about genetics-----a small defect. :D

You are all enablers! :D

It blows me away completely that you ladies don't pack for your DHs!

I would love to get out of doing my DH's packing, but he would do not much but throw in some undies, socks and t-shirts. After that it would be a blank and I would, at minimum, have to tell him what he needs to pack, down to the last cuff link!

And he really appreciates not having to do this "detail" work. Is there something in the genetic code about men and details? I think there must be!

I pack for DH. If it was left to him, it is definite something (everything) important would be forgotten. The suitcase wouldn't be heavy, though, that's for sure.:D

I have a packing list on my computer which I can adapt for each cruise. And as for all the other stuff like gadgets, OTC meds - all the essentials - that would be me that makes sure we have them.

Edited by Lizzie68

I'm a pretty well prepared for packing, but my forgetting it story is what I forgot NOT to pack.....the last night of the cruise I packed before going to bed, including all my shoes. I had to leave the ship in the little slippers.

I had to laugh when I read this! I did the same thing when packing to disembark the Noordam a few years ago. I packed my key card and had to have a new one made or I would have had to stay on the ship. Now that I think about it . . . . Oh, well, guess I really had to get off.

. Is there something in the genetic code about men and details? I think there must be!

Without a doubt! The last time I relied upon DH's packing ability, he brought with him absolutely nothing! Fortunately it was a road trip and stores were available.

Without a doubt! The last time I relied upon DH's packing ability, he brought with him absolutely nothing! Fortunately it was a road trip and stores were available.

Sheeesh!!!

Amazing split on this board between the husbands who pack for themselves, well or semi-well, and those who just don't pack at all.

I prefer to do the packing for both of us: that way I know there isn't going to be a problem or fuss.

Thanks for your story, too!!

Is there something in the genetic code about men and details? I think there must be!

Uhem... we are a gay couple and we do OK with packing and details. ;)

We each do our own packing, though I do take care of packing the OTC medications, band-aids etc.

Edited by Boytjie

DH lays out what he thinks he should take. I sort through and add or subs tract and pack it. We each have packing cubes, which make it super easy to pack things in categories or in outfits. Things do not get wrinkled or slide around in the suitcase

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great! That is helpful to put into the research here!

And do you forget stuff?

Nothing essential, as far as I can remember. Never forgot the Swiss Army knife for emergency things like opening wine bottles. :D

We do not use lists and we have the added level of difficulty because we have to pack outfits/costumes for theme parties (about 8 of them!).

One cruise he did forget his passport... well, technically he did not forget it, it just wasn't in his leather passport holder that he DID pack. We wee on our way to the airport ahead of an incoming blizzard (three days before the cruise). Luckily I persuaded him to upgrade his NY drivers' license to en Enhanced Drivers License which enabled him to get on the ship. If we turned back home to get the passport we risked missing the flight and hours later all flights were cancelled. (We technically had a backup plan since a friend whose flight was already cancelled and could not get a new flight drove from New Jersey to Florida!)

Edited by Boytjie

Nothing essential, as far as I can remember. Never forgot the Swiss Army knife for emergency things like opening wine bottles. :D

One cruise he did forget his passport... well, technically he did not forget it, it just wasn't in his leather passport holder that he DID pack. We wee on our way to the airport ahead of an incoming blizzard (three days before the cruise). Luckily I persuaded him to upgrade his NY drivers' license to en Enhanced Drivers License which enabled him to get on the ship. If we turned back home to get the passport we risked missing the flight and hours later all flights were cancelled. (We technically had a backup plan since a friend whose flight was already cancelled and could not get a new flight drove from New Jersey to Florida!)

You guys are either well prepared or very lucky, or both!

Just shows: assume nothing, check everything.

Weather problems like this add sooooo much stress to a cruise. I'm glad everything worked out.

Thanks for the neat story!

Weather problems like this add sooooo much stress to a cruise. I'm glad everything worked out.

Thanks for the neat story!

Oh, that was just the second part of a traumatic trip from New York to Ft. Lauderdale in February!

First the car service was late picking us up, then the driver too the weirdest - and most congested - route through Brooklyn. Then he made an illegal left turn in front of a cop so we were pulled over. He decided he wanted to argue with the cop but I persuaded him to shut up and get us going. Out of that mess we hit major traffic due to an accident. A few blocks later he got on the service road, bypassed and we were flying on empty roads to the airport. That was when DH discovered the missing passport...

Onwards to JFK where the place is deserted with most flights already cancelled and just a few planes ta the terminals. It was eerie. We got on the plane and it pushed back on time, only for it to come to a halt and the interior lights went on. The captain got on the intercom and told us due to heavy thunderstorms in Florida all flight routes were shut down. He would update us in about 40 minutes. Somebody asked him when he would time out and he said in about two hours; so if we were not in the air by then, they would have to get a new pilot.

Eventually he came on and told us that we were allowed to take off and there was rejoicing on board! I said: bring out the cocktail cart - I need a drink! We made it to Ft Lauderdale about 2 am.

Edited by Boytjie

Oh, that was just the second part of a traumatic trip from New York to Ft. Lauderdale in February!

First the car service was late picking us up, then the driver too the weirdest - and most congested - route through Brooklyn. Then he made an illegal left turn in front of a cop so we were pulled over. He decided he wanted to argue with the cop but I persuaded him to shut up and get us going. Out of that mess we hit major traffic due to an accident. A few blocks later he got on the service road, bypassed and we were flying on empty roads to the airport. That was when DH discovered the missing passport...

Onwards to JFK where the place is deserted with most flights already cancelled and just a few planes ta the terminals. It was eerie. We got on the plane and it pushed back on time, only for it to come to a halt and the interior lights went on. The captain got on the intercom and told us due to heavy thunderstorms in Florida all flight routes were shut down. He would update us in about 40 minutes. Somebody asked him when he would time out and he said in about two hours; so if we were not in the air by then, they would have to get a new pilot.

Eventually he came on and told us that we were allowed to take off and there was rejoicing on board! I said: bring out the cocktail cart - I need a drink! We made it to Ft Lauderdale about 2 am.

I think I would have drunk the whole bottle after that!:eek: