Advice Needed: Family member not joining the cruise

TracieABD

i travelled on Golden Princess by myself you pay for 2 even though there will only be one in the room you wont pay any more [unless a small fee to take your mums name off maybe] for that room and you wont get that half off the fare back i would tell them . thats my thoughst on it anyways my condolences to you for your loss

Hi Friends-

We have a cruise that leaves in 4 days. We originally booked (and paid for) 2 mini-suites. My DH and I were to occupy one suite. My mom and my DS were assigned to the other. I learned that my mother never purchased insurance for this cruise.

In July, my mother died. My DH, DS, and I plan to move forward with the cruise. We are actually taking a bit of my mom with us. We still have the two minis.

My question is what do we do at boarding? Obviously, my mom will not check in. What do we tell them at check-in? On the ship? etc...

We never removed her from the booking, as we would have lost her cruise fare and then would have had to pay the single suppliment for our son (as he will stay in his own cabin).

I am just getting worried that they are going to hit us with another fare at the port or on the ship.

Also, will we need to pay her gratuities? This is not really a problem, and we will be happy to do so, if required.

Is there anything else I am not thinking of?

Thanks!

Tracie-Lynn

If you mom died in July, why did you not cancel her booking then? Wouldn't that have been before final payment? Your son could have either gone in your room as a triple or an interior as a single.

If you mom died in July' date=' why did you not cancel her booking then? Wouldn't that have been before final payment? Your son could have either gone in your room as a triple or an interior as a single.[/quote']

We all get this...but it doesn't help OP now. We were trying to be kind in view of their loss, grief, and the current situation. What they could have done in July doesn't matter now.

I had a similar problem except 2 months ago my husband decided he did not want to go. So I called my TA right away and yes paid the single supplement. But I did have insurance so got FCC instead. However I am sure when you check in there will not be a problem with a no show. However Princess may charge your son later on the single supplement. So just be prepared for that possibility. My thought is suppose everyone who travels as a single did this, Princess would loose money. That is why I think a no show in a cabin may be charged at a later time.

I had a similar problem except 2 months ago my husband decided he did not want to go. So I called my TA right away and yes paid the single supplement. But I did have insurance so got FCC instead. However I am sure when you check in there will not be a problem with a no show. However Princess may charge your son later on the single supplement. So just be prepared for that possibility. My thought is suppose everyone who travels as a single did this, Princess would loose money. That is why I think a no show in a cabin may be charged at a later time.

I don't think it will matter. They paid for 2 fares already, same as 200% for a single. It is a wash. No insurance claim is being filed. The cabin is paid in full.

You only need to pay gratuities on one fare.

I don't understand the comment about everyone who travels as a single would do this, that they would lose money. There is no insurance claim being filed. The cabin is paid in full for 2 people or as a single at 200%.

Edited by Coral

If you mom died in July' date=' why did you not cancel her booking then? Wouldn't that have been before final payment? Your son could have either gone in your room as a triple or an interior as a single.[/quote']

They obviously want the adult son in a mini suite next to them. 3 adults in a mini suite can push it. It doesn't matter if they cancelled in July or now. If they cancelled this summer before final payment, the cost of the cabin would be the same. The only difference would possibly be a refund of port fees or taxes for one.

Coral, how would Princess lose money? They paid two full fares...

I agree, they won't. It doesn't matter if they cancelled in July or now - the cost of the cabin is the same (200% for a single). Sorry if I implied otherwise.

I just don't think the son will be charged at a later time as the cabin is paid in full and no insurance claim is being filed.

Tracie - have a great cruise with your family.

Edited by Coral

Thank you all for your kind condolences. It has been harder than I have words to describe.She lived right across the street from me for the past 14 years and I cared for her that whole time. She was so much more than my mom. She was the sister neither of us had, my object constancy, and my best friend.

My mom paid out the cruise before she was gone. I did not realize about the travel insurance. And to be quite honest, in the chaos that ensued, I am not sure I even realized there was an option.

I think we are going to adopt the "less is more approach" to check in and boarding. We won't say anything until we are asked. If we get charged the balance of a single supplement, so be it.

This cruise was one of three last items on her bucket list. Our way of honouring her is to forge ahead with her dream of seeing the Panama Canal at the holidays. I am hoping that this will contribute to the healing process.

I truly appreciate all those who have offered constructive ideas. You have no idea how much I trust the expertise and experience of some of you here.

Fingers crossed that this cruise will be everything we need it to be.

Thank you-

TL:)

I just wanted to weigh in that it seems rather like Scrooge himself if Princess (or any other cruise line for that matter), heaped another full fare on top of the two fares already paid for a cabin. Princess has their funds whether the second person shows or doesn't show or is cancelled "at last minute". To me it should be immaterial the circumstances.

In fact they save money from food consumption, water consumption - not tons, but something.

Edited by steelers36

Check out how your mom paid for the cruise. Some credit cards have automatic travel insurance when used to book a trip. This is not a substitute for "real" travel insurance' date=' but is better than nothing in a tight spot.[/quote']

The problem with this is that she is dead. Usually when you die your credit card gets cancelled. Example: my SIL died. She had insurance. My brother cancelled her credit cards because, well she wasn't going to use them any more. She was entitled to a refund BUT the cruise line wouldn't give my brother a refund to his card, only hers. It took a few months of back and forth, presenting the death certificate etc. In the long run, it wasn't worth the headache or heartache to try to get the money back. That was through the cruise line. Since she no longer had that credit card, as she was no longer a customer, they weren't interested in helping him.

Tracie, sorry for your loss.

Edited by notentirelynormal

When I have checked people in, I ask if the second person is coming? The ship monitors the people they are still waiting for as it gets close to sailing time. If I was told they aren't coming, the key card is turned in to ship staff and they are told the passenger isn't coming.

I just wanted to weigh in that it seems rather like Scrooge himself if Princess (or any other cruise line for that matter), heaped another full fare on top of the two fares already paid for a cabin. Princess has their funds whether the second person shows or doesn't show or is cancelled "at last minute". To me it should be immaterial the circumstances.

That may be how people wish it would work, or maybe even what is

fair and ethical.

It does not mean that is how it actually works.

No matter how many times people post here how they think it should work.

In general, if one occupant cancels, a cruise line will charge the

other occupant a single supplement. This is usually 100% of

the single fare (not 200% as written in some earlier posts).

If both passengers have insurance, the insurance covers the

fare of the passenger who cancels, and the single supplement

of the remaining passenger.

If you are a cruise line, and you are in business to make money,

why would you not collect this money from the passenger's

insurance?

Edited by pablo222

I don't think it will matter. They paid for 2 fares already, same as 200% for a single. It is a wash. No insurance claim is being filed. The cabin is paid in full.

You only need to pay gratuities on one fare.

I don't understand the comment about everyone who travels as a single would do this, that they would lose money. There is no insurance claim being filed. The cabin is paid in full for 2 people or as a single at 200%.

I neglected to mention my sincere sympathies for your loss. You seemed to have been extremely close the your mom. How special to have spent so much time with her (across the street).

And in my situation, Princess did get 300%. The non-refund, paid in full, no insurance fare from my canceled cabin mate AND my 200% solo supplement, no insurance booked fare.

Hopefully, all will work out for you. I don't know how long your cruise is, but after the second day, you can ask the steward to remake the bed as a full size rather than twins.

Pleaser port back to us.

Enjoy your time.

I neglected to mention my sincere sympathies for your loss. You seemed to have been extremely close the your mom. How special to have spent so much time with her (across the street).

And in my situation, Princess did get 300%. The non-refund, paid in full, no insurance fare from my canceled cabin mate AND my 200% solo supplement, no insurance booked fare.

Hopefully, all will work out for you. I don't know how long your cruise is, but after the second day, you can ask the steward to remake the bed as a full size rather than twins.

Pleaser port back to us.

Enjoy your time.

Your cabin mate should have just been a no show. Then you would not have had to pay the solo supplement.

Too bad you didn't know that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We're splitting hairs here, which doesn't help OP. To be technical, the single supplement is 100% of the cruise fare portion of the ticket, which doesn't include the taxes and government fees. So an individual cruising solo pays 100% of a normal person booking amount + 100% of the cruise fare portion of the second booking. However, many cruise lines list their single supplement as "200%" when you research the question on their web site.

And yes, the cruise lines can and at least some do impose both the loss of the paid fare on the person who cancels + charge the single supplement on the remaining guest. They basically collect the money for 3 cruise fares even though only one person is in the cabin.

Unless the cruise line would decide to use some sort of compassionate reasoning since the cancelation is due to death, the cruiser is better off having the missing person be a "no show." That does not trigger a cancelation in the computer and does not automatically apply the single supplement. The "increase" in the loss is that port taxes which would have been refunded in the event of a cancelation, but the gain is that there is no risk of the line adding the supplement.

Edited by moki'smommy

Your cabin mate should have just been a no show. Then you would not have had to pay the solo supplement.

Too bad you didn't know that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I did know that and asked her to please be a no show. She would not do this. I asked her to give me 72 hours to find a replacement. She would not do this. I had no other choice but to forfeit my deposit or sail solo. This was a week before sailing and I already had my airline ticket, car rental, hotel accommodations and other plans scheduled.

You can bet that I would never put myself in this position again.

We're splitting hairs here' date=' which doesn't help OP. To be technical, the single supplement is 100% of the cruise fare portion of the ticket, which doesn't include the taxes and government fees. So an individual cruising solo pays 100% of a normal person booking amount + 100% of the cruise fare portion of the second booking. However, many cruise lines list their single supplement as "200%" when you research the question on their web site.

And yes, the cruise lines can and at least some do impose both the loss of the paid fare on the person who cancels + charge the single supplement on the remaining guest. They basically collect the money for 3 cruise fares even though only one person is in the cabin.

Unless the cruise line would decide to use some sort of compassionate reasoning since the cancelation is due to death, the cruiser is better off having the missing person be a "no show." That does not trigger a cancelation in the computer and does not automatically apply the single supplement. The "increase" in the loss is that port taxes which would have been refunded in the event of a cancelation, but the gain is that there is no risk of the line adding the supplement.[/quote']

This is one of the best summaries for this thread. What will happen to the refunded port taxes when it is bounced back as a closed credit card account? DS needs to make sure that he changes the personalizer to his own credit card before he boards.

This is one of the best summaries for this thread. What will happen to the refunded port taxes when it is bounced back as a closed credit card account? DS needs to make sure that he changes the personalizer to his own credit card before he boards.

I have dealt with this. I am sure the OP dealt with the credit card companies in July/August. They will refund anything to the known address or forwarding address. It is not a big issue. All the big credit cards have a department that deals with this. I had things refunded 6 months after the credit card was closed.

I have no doubt the adult son has dealt with the personalized and his credit card is listed or will deal with it when he checks in.

Edited by Coral