Cost Cutting Gone To Far

Yes, I am loyal to royal. Yes, I have my next two cruises booked. But here are some changes I would like to see reversed and fast. From my November 20th Enchantment of the Seas Cruise. Yes, I filled out my survey and no one bothered to contact me. I have been on Enchantment out of PC 5 times. The buffet and food has taken a big hit.

1. Fried Egg Station instead of omelet station in the Windjammer for breakfast. No wait for the Fried Egg? I wonder why? Yes people have to wait for the omelet station. Find ways to make it faster or add more egg cooks. Don't take away the best part of the windjammer breakfast.

2. Chicken necks and backs on the windjammer buffet, can we have some legs and thighs please. I grabbed an unspecific part off the lunch buffet one day. After determining it was not a part I wanted or tasted like anything I wanted, discarded it. Went back the next and was digging for a leg, thigh, wing or normal part. there were NONE! Necks for everyone. I don't remember the specific name for this dish but it was some type of rotisserie chicken.

3. No sugar free cookies anywhere on board the entire weekend.

4. No Late night nachos with chili in the Park Cafe. (Only pizza and hot dogs)

My steward was probably the best I have had in years. I didn't get late dinner as I had requested. My Time was okay, but I didn't like the corner they stuck us in. They moved us the third night at our request.

My goal for posting is to hope that RC sees that its loyal customers think they are cutting too much. Cut wait time, cut processes don't cut quality. We Loyal to Royal have high expectations. I don't think anyone expects chicken necks on the buffet.

I guess anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe they were serving chicken NECKS at Windjammer.:D

I agree, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. I went back the next day to look and again NO real parts in the chicken. I was shocked. I guess I should have made a big stink about it. I should have told the windjammer staff that it was unacceptable. But I was on vacation and just didn't eat it. Cost cutting should not come at the expense of quality. Cruising is a luxury. We like the little things like chicken wings and legs.

Let's hope it was a one cruise error and they have it fixed already. I plan to cruise on Enchantment or Majesty when it replaces her. That is my go to for a last minute quick get away.

Edited by RCcruisinfamily

I agree, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. I went back the next day to look and again NO real parts in the chicken. I was shocked. I guess I should have made a big stink about it. I should have told the windjammer staff that it was unacceptable. But I was on vacation and just didn't eat it. Cost cutting should not come at the expense of quality. Cruising is a luxury. We like the little things like chicken wings and legs.

Let's hope it was a one cruise error and they have it fixed already. I plan to cruise on Enchantment or Majesty when it replaces her. That is my go to for a last minute quick get away.

Maybe they'll start throwing in some beeks and feet and call it a cultural immersion meal.......

The omelet station must be ship specific. On Freedom they had the egg and omelet station in the center of the two buffet lines, I thought it worked much better as a separate station like they have on Voyager class. However, they had a lot of pre-made omelets and eggs (which the last time I was on a Voyager class they didn't) so the wait time was minimal as long as you were okay with not having a made to order omelet, which I am as I usually just get peppers and onions which they had plenty of waiting most mornings.

Personally I'm okay with them cost cutting on food. 5 course dinners down to 3, and fewer choices in the Windjammer. However I would expect quality to rise since there are fewer dishes to prepare and this hasn't happened.

Unfortunately "cost cutting" isn't RCCL's fault, it is ours the collective consumers. While we may be loyal to Royal, that loyalty has a limit. If Royal went back to the 5 course meals and the better quality buffets of the past and just kept their profit margins the same they would price themselves out of a lot of "Loyal to Royal" customers. We would move to Carnival with statements such as, "The food is horrid compared to Royal, but...."; "The service is horrid compared to Royal, but..."

Yes, RCCL makes a lot of money, the cold hard truth is that is what they are in business for, not to provide us a vacation. They just have to find that balance between profits and filling their ships. 104% occupancy rates tells me, and probably them that they could cut a few things a bit more and make more profits until that occupancy drops to 100%.

I noticed the same thing on our TA on the Vision in October. Chicken parts I was unfamiliar with.

That is one of the most comical and ridiculous things I've read on CC in a long time:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not at all, a business is in business to make money - the product and/or service they provide just happens to make them that money.

The omelet station must be ship specific. On Freedom they had the egg and omelet station in the center of the two buffet lines, I thought it worked much better as a separate station like they have on Voyager class. However, they had a lot of pre-made omelets and eggs (which the last time I was on a Voyager class they didn't) so the wait time was minimal as long as you were okay with not having a made to order omelet, which I am as I usually just get peppers and onions which they had plenty of waiting most mornings.

This ship had an omelet station but removed it and turned it into a fried egg station. The pre made omelets are unpackaged from a box and heated. Not fresh quality food. I could get that at my local gas station. I like a FRESH egg omelet or at least fresh food. Call me spoiled. If I wanted a heat up microwave dish, I could save thousands and eat at home.

Personally I'm okay with them cost cutting on food. 5 course dinners down to 3, and fewer choices in the Windjammer. However I would expect quality to rise since there are fewer dishes to prepare and this hasn't happened.

Fewer choices better quality YES!

Unfortunately "cost cutting" isn't RCCL's fault, it is ours the collective consumers. While we may be loyal to Royal, that loyalty has a limit. If Royal went back to the 5 course meals and the better quality buffets of the past and just kept their profit margins the same they would price themselves out of a lot of "Loyal to Royal" customers. We would move to Carnival with statements such as, "The food is horrid compared to Royal, but...."; "The service is horrid compared to Royal, but..."

Yes, RCCL makes a lot of money, the cold hard truth is that is what they are in business for, not to provide us a vacation. They just have to find that balance between profits and filling their ships. 104% occupancy rates tells me, and probably them that they could cut a few things a bit more and make more profits until that occupancy drops to 100%.

There is one secrete ingredient to their success. Make the masses feel like they are special. Offer them something special they can't get on another vacation. People cruise for the luxury. They seem to lose focus on customer service.

........"I only demand the BEST".................(and I don't want to pay for it!)............Try a higher end cruise line BUT you may have to PAY for that..............You don't buy a Chevy and expect a Rolls...................:rolleyes:

I sure have high expectations. Chicken legs not necks. I am not asking for prime rib on the buffet, but I have seen it there in the past.

If you want excellent food, there are many paid options available and most of them are an excellent value for the dollar. The WJ, to me, is still my favorite place to eat, and I have yet to have any real issues. The one issue I had (November MJ sailing) I mentioned it to the restaurant manager and in moments he had it fixed for everyone and checked in with me the rest of the cruise.

I've noticed the changes also over the years. Paid options are not the same as they were in the past. You can read several threads of how many cruisers feel Chops is no longer worth the dollars after the menu changes. Most prices are going up, but they are cutting people's favorite items off the menu and replacing them with lower cost items. Tater tots and french fries isn't something I prefer to pay for in my upcharge.

Not at all, a business is in business to make money - the product and/or service they provide just happens to make them that money.

Thanks so much. I never would have guessed that a business was in business to make money...............:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh by the way, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west......

Edited by bouhunter

Serious question of the OP...

Why, in the name of Neptune, would RCI change their approach or stop cutting everything possible if "loyal" customers keep booking multiple cruises?

They are getting "new" cruisers by the droves with all the bells and whistles they put on their floating entertainment venues. Those people have nothing to compare against related to RCI so they don't notice a decline in quality and service. When you add "loyal" customers that don't care enough to attack the RCI wallet and demand they step up their game again they have no reason to change their business approach.

It's just like sports fans that go on and on about overpriced players, overpriced tickets, high prices for food and beverages and the cost to park at a stadium. However, how many times have you seen a stadium on television that is even 60% empty?

Edited by TC1957

Serious question of the OP...

Why, in the name of Neptune, would RCI change their approach or stop cutting everything possible if "loyal" customers keep booking multiple cruises?

They are getting "new" cruisers by the droves with all the bells and whistles they put on their floating entertainment venues. Those people have nothing to compare against related to RCI so they don't notice a decline in quality and service. When you add "loyal" customers that don't care enough to attack the RCI wallet and demand they step up their game again they have no reason to change their business approach.

It's just like sports fans that go on and on about overpriced players, overpriced tickets, high prices for food and beverages and the cost to park at a stadium. However, how many times have you seen a stadium on television that is even 60% empty?

Truth be told I have limits. If I can find a better product for the same price or slightly higher, I will jump. I don't expect gold plated china or a chocolate mint on my pillow (anymore). But if they keep cutting, it will be hard to stay loyal.

My last two weren't with Royal, and my next two aren't either, even though Royal has for many years been my line of choice. I just think they don't offer enough differentiation to justify their higher prices. Maybe Oasis/Allure, or even Quantum and Anthem, but certainly not any of the older ships when talking about "regular" repeat itineraries. Having branched out to other lines I unfortuantely have to rank Royal's food at the bottom (although I think it is still good, it doesn't measure up to other lines).

Their stock price is super healthy, they are flush with cash, and pumping ships out. So I doubt they care what I think and probably haven't noticed my lack of recent bookings.

I still do find that when newbies ask me for a cruise line it is easiest to recommend RCI's big ships because you do know you will get a nice ship with good entertainment and decent overall value.

2. Chicken necks and backs on the windjammer buffet, can we have some legs and thighs please. I grabbed an unspecific part off the lunch buffet one day. After determining it was not a part I wanted or tasted like anything I wanted, discarded it. Went back the next and was digging for a leg, thigh, wing or normal part. there were NONE! Necks for everyone.

Perhaps Andrew Zimmern was aboard checking out the "bizarre foods" for an upcoming episode.

I jest, of course. Chicken necks and backs on a buffet? Gah!

I didn't have any problems with the food on Freedom last week, but they do tend to tighten up and offer much less at the end of the cruise, especially the last day. Many regular items were suddenly missing, with empty food pans on the buffet in the WJ not uncommon.

Will be on Enchantment again the end of February. Will be interesting to see if we notice any changes.

Edited by island lady

When I fill out my comments, I do not expect a reply or call from anyone. But I did submit comments on a recent cruise and I did receive a call back. Have had several calls in the past. Sometimes I think if you do nothing but write negative they are going to ignore you. I always address the positive side of things first and then on the negative I try to address as suggested changes not just a bitch session.

We aren't loyal to any one Cruise Line. We sail RCCL, Celebrity and Princess. We feel all three are similar in service and the product provided. We never go into any of our Cruises with high expectations. I remember years ago Celebrity's slogan was "let us exceed your expectation". You don't hear that anymore. Something we've learned over the years of Cruising the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Edited by davekathy

We aren't loyal to any one Cruise Line. We sail RCCL, Celebrity and Princess. We feel all three are similar in service and the product provide. We never go into any of our Cruises with high expectations. I remember years ago Celebrity's slogan was "let us exceed your expectation". You don't hear that anymore. Something we've learned over the years of Cruising the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Agree on that! Each line, and even each ship within the line, are prone to problems at some point.