Anything new on Harvest Caye?

TNCruzer56

Harvest Caye to Feature Cruise Ship Pier, Seven-Acre Beach, Adventure Activities & More

March 16, 2016

Harvst Caye

(1:45 p.m. EDT) --
Harvest Caye opens to Norwegian Cruise Line passengers sailing on the line's Western Caribbean itineraries starting November 2016. After Harvest Caye opens, Norwegian Cruise Line will begin an overhaul of its private island in the Bahamas, Great Stirrup Cay.

--By Dori Saltzman, Senior Editor

ncl-harvest-caye-2.jpg

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6890

I am wondering if they will be switching all their sailing to GSC in December to HC. Only time will tell.

The reason why i thought about this is that i booked BA on Nov with GSC as a stop last December. It allows me to book the cabana a year out. But my Epic in Dec.... can't book it yet... It's less than 9 months away... haha

Edited by Sestar

We are booked on the Norwegian Dawn Nov. 20, 2016. Our itinerary does show Harvest Caye. Really, really disappointed that Norwegian is planning on charging on the island. Every other cruise line/private island that we have sailed included food and beverages (if you purchased the beverage plan). Can argue about the definition/somantics of a "private island", it is still a private island as far as I am concerned.

I am wondering if they will be switching all their sailing to GSC in December to HC. Only time will tell.

The reason why i thought about this is that i booked BA on Nov with GSC as a stop last December. It allows me to book the cabana a year out. But my Epic in Dec.... can't book it yet... It's less than 9 months away... haha

That's odd, maybe sold out on your Epic sailing?

Replacing HC for GSC would be difficult I think, geographically they are over 1000 miles apart.

That's odd, maybe sold out on your Epic sailing?

Replacing HC for GSC would be difficult I think, geographically they are over 1000 miles apart.

No, only 2 excursions can be book on NCL. They are both for Port Canaveral... haha.... hopefully more excursions will be available soon.

Make sense about the switching will be difficult. Too far away.

Thank you Freestyle.

No, only 2 excursions can be book on NCL. They are both for Port Canaveral... haha.... hopefully more excursions will be available soon.

Make sense about the switching will be difficult. Too far away.

Thank you Freestyle.

Unless there's a sea day before and after :D

We are booked on the Norwegian Dawn Nov. 20, 2016. Our itinerary does show Harvest Caye. Really, really disappointed that Norwegian is planning on charging on the island. Every other cruise line/private island that we have sailed included food and beverages (if you purchased the beverage plan). Can argue about the definition/somantics of a "private island", it is still a private island as far as I am concerned.

Not sure which other lines you've cruised - but Carnival charges for beverages at Half Moon Cay (their private island) even if you have the beverage package. :o

Lets see when this happens for great stirup cay as well...so as i understood there is no buffet as well on harvest???So nothing is going to be included???WOW ncl keeps amazing me each and every day

Hopefully it doesn't change at GSC before our Epic cruise next year!! [emoji6]

• 1 month later...

Fot those that have been following this since the beginning, it was never slated to be an all inclusive the same as GSC. It has always been designed to be more like Mahogany Caye that belongs to Carnival. Independent vendors/bars/restaurants that pay NCL. It was not changed by the new regime. Back in Kevin S. time was when this was executed. Can't/shouldn't blame this on FDR. This was a partnership with the Belize government and was always slated to use locals as owners and employee's of the vendors. Just like any other port, you can go ashore and spend some money, go ashore and walk around for free or just stay on the ship. I've never noticed NCL stating/advertising that this would be another version of GSC. Only some posters on here want to make it another GSC with everything included.

Not choosing sides here but at first I did expect HC to be included in the UBP etc. ;)

Nothing official has been released by NCL about any F&B operation besides the renders, names of the venues and the a la carte food (the way I read it, regarding the a la carte as that concerns food options and that term is rarely used with drinks in my view). :)

"Private island", "amenities", "pools", "for rent cabanas", "bars and restaurants" "resort style", just some of the words NCL uses when they describe their privately owned island, managed by a cruise line and which acts like a gateway for those who would like to visit mainland Belize.

No aggressive vendors, no traffic, no buses lined up, no guides gathering groups, no taxi drivers trying to get your attention, no other ships at the same pier, no paperwork or identification (my assumption) if you're not leaving the island; I can see how people expect it to be another private destination.

But, it seems HC will be somewhat of a mixture of what we've seen yet; some local influences, water and beach, activities and shopping, cultural enrichment on a boat ride away, no citizens or crime and all money spent benefits the cruise line and subcontractors.

Not hoping it will be theme park experience and let's hope it won't have any potential to be Har-fees Caye. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Not choosing sides here but at first I did expect HC to be included in the UBP etc. ;)

Nothing official has been released by NCL about any F&B operation besides the renders, names of the venues and the a la carte food (the way I read it, regarding the a la carte as that concerns food options and that term is rarely used with drinks in my view). :)

"Private island", "amenities", "pools", "for rent cabanas", "bars and restaurants" "resort style", just some of the words NCL uses when they describe their privately owned island, managed by a cruise line and which acts like a gateway for those who would like to visit mainland Belize.

No aggressive vendors, no traffic, no buses lined up, no guides gathering groups, no taxi drivers trying to get your attention, no other ships at the same pier, no paperwork or identification (my assumption) if you're not leaving the island; I can see how people expect it to be another private destination.

But, it seems HC will be somewhat of a mixture of what we've seen yet; some local influences, water and beach, activities and shopping, cultural enrichment on a boat ride away, no citizens or crime and all money spent benefits the cruise line and subcontractors.

Not hoping it will be theme park experience and let's hope it won't have any potential to be Har-fees Caye. :D

Hopefully answers and specifics will start coming soon!

The whole thing seems like a rip off to me. Why do I want to go a made up island so NCL can make more money? I'll take the ferry or whatever over to the real island and see some history and nature. The only reason to go on cruise ship island, is that you can't go somewhere else. All the islands they cruise to have nice beaches. Don't be fooled into thinking theirs is somehow special. May as well just go to Disney World where all their locations are made up too, and you don't have to leave Florida.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

I'll be very surprised if our November 13 Jade cruise makes it there because of all the delays and date push backs there have been on this project. Just hope they let us know in plenty of time to book a local tour out of Belize City. If we do manage to make it to HC, we will be the first passengers to go so we won't know what to expect. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

I'll be very surprised if our November 13 Jade cruise makes it there because of all the delays and date push backs there have been on this project. Just hope they let us know in plenty of time to book a local tour out of Belize City. If we do manage to make it to HC' date=' we will be the first passengers to go so we won't know what to expect. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.[/quote']

I am on that sailing and I logged in today and can now see some excursions for HC available.

Speculation is that it's set to open on Nov 16, with the Escape charted with big wigs to be the first there. We will be second or third, as we go on Nov 18th. Very exciting. I'm crossing my fingers all stays on schedule!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It appears that this will be much like the cruise port at Grand Turk. Built by Carnival, it is a gateway to excursions as well as a destination of it's own but not the same as a private island. There is a Margaritaville and some other bars and shops but they're not affiliated with your cruise fare. It looks nice on the website. I would like to try it. It will likely be much more interesting than the private islands, they are generally a bit boring. Last time we didn't even bother with GSC, it wasn't worth hassling with the tenders for mediocre food and clamshell overcrowding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...