Anything new on Harvest Caye?

TNCruzer56

So,,,, when you show up to the cay, what would you expect. Sand and seaweed? Everyone weave a mat from palm frowns to sit on. Break open a coconut for refreshment?

Yes. Exactly. Wouldn't you ? Coconut milk out of a real coconut is great. If you look at the island before and now, it is nothing but a Disney type created destination. They ruined the eco system. Just look at what they have done. Costa Maya is a very good example on what you can do for us cruisers and keep the environment intact. Most people wish to see the Caribbean natural. This is why you go on a cruise. See different places and see the different cultures. I don't see anything that looks like Belize there. You can get this same going to any beach resort in Florida. No need to cruise.

Those bungalows are not Belizean type houses. Another way to keep all of the money to themselves. They could of done a much better job. Enjoy.

Is it just me, or it seems they have taken a natural habitat and made it into a Disney type resort. Personally, I think it is a crime what they are doing to this caye. Look at the cranes making fake beaches. This is not real. This is fake. In Belize, what is fantastic is exploring different ecosystems on different cayes and islands. I do understand the some love these types of places, but come on, be real. The Caribbean is slowly becoming Disney. But, I have to say that I am not a fan of Belize City, I wish they would of been a bit more creative and use the natural beauty as an asset. No just destroy it. I am not an tree hugger, but this is just crazy bad. Look at the before and after. Not what I understood was going to happen. For those that like this type of thing, enjoy. I would prefer to stay on the ship. Enjoy the quiet and peace of an empty ship. Cheers,

I see your point but it's pretty tough to make mangrove hospitable!

I believe off-island excursions will be offered.

Edited by pspercy

While the Caye is available, you still have the option of going to Belize City and putting money in the pockets of the locals.

Really? Do you know how far it is and the fact that NCL doesn't offer any transport to the mainland except for their excursions.

Yes. Exactly. Wouldn't you ? Coconut milk out of a real coconut is great. If you look at the island before and now, it is nothing but a Disney type created destination. They ruined the eco system. Just look at what they have done. Costa Maya is a very good example on what you can do for us cruisers and keep the environment intact. Most people wish to see the Caribbean natural. This is why you go on a cruise. See different places and see the different cultures. I don't see anything that looks like Belize there. You can get this same going to any beach resort in Florida. No need to cruise.

Those bungalows are not Belizean type houses. Another way to keep all of the money to themselves. They could of done a much better job. Enjoy.

If only everything was becoming Disney... I mean, have you been to Castaway Cay? It's incredible!

But in all seriousness, why pick on Disney? I think all cruise lines have done this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. Exactly. Wouldn't you ? Coconut milk out of a real coconut is great. If you look at the island before and now, it is nothing but a Disney type created destination. They ruined the eco system. Just look at what they have done. Costa Maya is a very good example on what you can do for us cruisers and keep the environment intact. Most people wish to see the Caribbean natural. This is why you go on a cruise. See different places and see the different cultures. I don't see anything that looks like Belize there. You can get this same going to any beach resort in Florida. No need to cruise. Those bungalows are not Belizean type houses. Another way to keep all of the money to themselves. They could of done a much better job. Enjoy.

Coconut milk requires to to first husk the coconut, break the shell in two, fine grate the coconut meat, get the strands from the husk and put the grated meat into the strands, exert large amounts of pressure to squeeze the shredded meat and extract coconut milk.

Don't want to sit in a Belizean house. I want to sit in my cabana, in the shade, on my padded lounger, under a fan, in arm's reach of my refrigerator with chilled towels, sipping my coconut milk served from the bar blended with rum.

So,,, what are you and Jane doing in Belize at the end of the month?

Edited by BirdTravels

If only everything was becoming Disney... I mean, have you been to Castaway Cay? It's incredible!

But in all seriousness, why pick on Disney? I think all cruise lines have done this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly!

I've spent many days on Castaway Cay, the most recent being this past Sunday' and I've spent days on Coco Cay and Labadee as well. I actually prefer these days over other ports, since I cruise to relax, not to shop.

And when you think about it, private islands make financial sense for cruise lines because they DO get more of their guests' money. And isn't that what it's all about?

Edited by Wendy&Grumpy

We make a stop here on our Thanksgiving cruise this year and was wondering how far it is from the port that they are currently using? Will there be locals to book with or is it far enough from everything else that you have to book excursions with NCL? Im assuming there will be a beach there?

It is about 70-80 miles from Belize City. The nearest town on the mainland is Placencia. I have read that some of the tour operators from the North plan to operate in Placencia, but until it opens I think nobody can say for sure. There will be a beach on Harvest Caye.

Sorry, there's an upcharge for the extra sand.

The complementary sand dan be found at the shoreline, this is the premium sand but it's top quality and reflects your free at sea lifestyle and embodies freestyle cruising as no other sand could! Prebook now!

;)

Funny and fitting.

Sorry, there's an upcharge for the extra sand.

The complementary sand dan be found at the shoreline, this is the premium sand but it's top quality and reflects your free at sea lifestyle and embodies freestyle cruising as no other sand could! Prebook now!

;)

The premium sand is available to Haven guests only.

I understand ncl agents are wrong sometimes but so far all of them say ubp transfers to island where is the info that it isn't coming from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The NCL press release says dining and bar options will be a la carte. https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-reveals-harvest-caye-experiences

The NCL press release says dining and bar options will be a la carte. https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-reveals-harvest-caye-experiences

Just because it's a la Carte doesn't necessarily mean that UBP or UDP wouldn't apply. Has anything addressed this specifically? Technically all the bars on the ship are a la Carte but the UBP still covers them.

Just because it's a la Carte doesn't necessarily mean that UBP or UDP wouldn't apply. Has anything addressed this specifically? Technically all the bars on the ship are a la Carte but the UBP still covers them.

True, it could be both a la carte but covered by UBP/SDP.

Also don't forget NCL hired a subcontractor for some/all of the F&B. It was a local Belizean restaurant/bar owner or something, I posted a link from I think a local news site about it a few months ago in this thread, somewhere..

I am still undecided; the press release is unclear but with a local vendor, hm who knows.

Exactly!

I've spent many days on Castaway Cay, the most recent being this past Sunday' and I've spent days on Coco Cay and Labadee as well. I actually prefer these days over other ports, since I cruise to relax, not to shop.

And when you think about it, private islands make financial sense for cruise lines because they DO get more of their guests' money. And isn't that what it's all about?

NO! :eek:

True, it could be both a la carte but covered by UBP/SDP.

But unlike private islands, on Harvest Caye the restaurants are locally owned, not by NCL, so a la carte is like your restaurants at home. No SDP coverage.

Probably same with bars.