Anything new on Harvest Caye?

TNCruzer56

A mistake to me, I think you are 100% right, I never saw any mention of an Haven area on HC.

"Luxurious beachside cabanas that accommodate up to 10 guests and feature concierge food and beverage service, dedicated cabana bar, lounge chairs, private bathrooms and air conditioning." https://www.ncl.com/harvest-caye

"Guests who wish to enjoy the day in privacy can opt to rent one of the island’s 11 luxurious beach villas. These indulgent enclosed villas can accommodate up to 10 guests and are the ultimate beach escape, equipped with every comfort including air conditioning, dedicated lounge and dining areas, a private restroom, indoor and outdoor showers, hammocks, and exclusive dining and beverage options with dedicated concierge service so guests never have to leave the beach." https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-reveals-harvest-caye-experiences

And yet the people who have booked cabanas say the maximum capacity is 6 so either the press release was incorrect, or there will be another area??

And yet the people who have booked cabanas say the maximum capacity is 6 so either the press release was incorrect, or there will be another area??

The 10 vs 6 is strange indeed but I can't think of any area which would be an Haven area. HC is quite full. There will be a yet to be build nature trail in the south (made of dock paths) and some nature thing in the most northern(?) point from what I've seen on some older plans.

Will look them up later!

Found it:

a52e77c2521a462f967407e750f90c06.png

It's from a 2013 research which I linked before which shows a phase 2. After that the island seems full. ;)

https://www.elaw.org/system/files/harvest_caye_island_pt1.pdf

https://www.elaw.org/system/files/harvest_caye_island_pt2.pdf

Some phase 2 buildings in the main area too, not sure about that but can't imagine an Haven area would be "downtown".

Found it:

a52e77c2521a462f967407e750f90c06.png

It's from a 2013 research which I linked before which shows a phase 2. After that the island seems full. ;)

https://www.elaw.org/system/files/harvest_caye_island_pt1.pdf

https://www.elaw.org/system/files/harvest_caye_island_pt2.pdf

Some phase 2 buildings in the main area too, not sure about that but can't imagine an Haven area would be "downtown".

so, the area on the lower left corner is the strip where the cabanas are located? Wait! No, it is the upper right area. Well, at least I think it is. Interesting map.

so, the area on the lower left corner is the strip where the cabanas are located? Wait! No, it is the upper right area. Well, at least I think it is. Interesting map.

Second guess is correct. :) It's in the northern tip of the island, the strip is somewhere amog the "phase 2 path" and the pink purpleish "future cenote", see this pic. The dotted lines on the map must be reef if I compare that to the picture so the cabanas should offer good snorkeling! :)

I found this description of Harvest Caye today:

Spread across two islands, the 75-acre Harvest Caye is the only port in Belize to feature a cruise ship pier. The port also caters solely to Norwegian Cruise Line passengers. Travelers will experience the renowned natural beauty of Belize while also enjoying all they could want from such a tropical destination. The focus of Harvest Caye is its seven acres of pristine white sand beach surrounded by crystal clear waters. Those who prefer to spend their day inland can visit the 130 foot tall Flighthouse. It is the jumping point for various aerial activities such as zip lining, free fall jumping, suspension bridges, and a ropes course. A journey across the zipline offers visitors the perfect bird’s eye view of the verdant hills on the mainland, as well as other glimpses around the island. If flying through the air isn’t for you, Harvest Caye also has water sports activities available like paddle boarding, kayaking, and canoeing through the shallow lagoon area.

The island also offers plenty of dining and bar options for guests to enjoy. While there is a variety of cuisine options, those interested in authentic Belizean cuisine should visit the shopping village for a bite. In addition to dining options, the village offers items for sale by local Belizean craftsmen, as well as shops from popular name-brand retailers. Guests hoping to catch a glimpse of the local wildlife will have plenty of opportunity as Harvest Cay is an eco-destination rich in plants and animals. From manatee observation tours, to the island’s Aviary, to other various educational tours, the island has something to offer for all types of wildlife enthusiast. It is the perfect eco-tourism site that provides plenty of diverse terrain including jungles, rainforests, swamps, coral reef, and more for each visitor to explore.

Here's an email I received directly from NCL on Sept 21:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Star's 7-Day Western Caribbean sailing from Tampa, Florida on February 14, 2016. All guests booked on this sailing need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

We have made a change to the ship's itinerary and Norwegian Star will now call in Belize City, Belize arriving at 8am and departing at 5pm.

If you pre-booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line for Harvest Caye, your pre-booked shore excursion reservations will be automatically cancelled. For a list of shore excursions in Belize City, please visit our website at www.ncl.com/excursions or contact our shore excursion desk at 1-866-625-1167.

wait is this just for this ship or are others doing belize over harvest caye

Does anyone know how far it is to Belize City? I would like to take some private tours there if the timing allows it.

Thanks,

Larry

I found this description of Harvest Caye today:

Spread across two islands, the 75-acre Harvest Caye is the only port in Belize to feature a cruise ship pier. The port also caters solely to Norwegian Cruise Line passengers. Travelers will experience the renowned natural beauty of Belize while also enjoying all they could want from such a tropical destination. The focus of Harvest Caye is its seven acres of pristine white sand beach surrounded by crystal clear waters. Those who prefer to spend their day inland can visit the 130 foot tall Flighthouse. It is the jumping point for various aerial activities such as zip lining, free fall jumping, suspension bridges, and a ropes course. A journey across the zipline offers visitors the perfect bird’s eye view of the verdant hills on the mainland, as well as other glimpses around the island. If flying through the air isn’t for you, Harvest Caye also has water sports activities available like paddle boarding, kayaking, and canoeing through the shallow lagoon area.

The island also offers plenty of dining and bar options for guests to enjoy. While there is a variety of cuisine options, those interested in authentic Belizean cuisine should visit the shopping village for a bite. In addition to dining options, the village offers items for sale by local Belizean craftsmen, as well as shops from popular name-brand retailers. Guests hoping to catch a glimpse of the local wildlife will have plenty of opportunity as Harvest Cay is an eco-destination rich in plants and animals. From manatee observation tours, to the island’s Aviary, to other various educational tours, the island has something to offer for all types of wildlife enthusiast. It is the perfect eco-tourism site that provides plenty of diverse terrain including jungles, rainforests, swamps, coral reef, and more for each visitor to explore.

Does anyone know how far it is to Belize City? I would like to take some private tours there if the timing allows it.

Thanks,

Larry

I looked on a map and it looks like about 70 miles south of Belize City. It looks like there will be some type of water taxi to shore near a small town on the mainland, but it would be a long trip to get to Belize city by taxi.

f2df1535d9274be6b26adfb9ec48958e.png

Malacate

"Malacate is located approximately 0.5 miles from the villages of Mango Creek/Independence, and is on the southwestern coast of the Placencia Lagoon Stann Creek District"

c55a776087344c93b2f1179fd29c66de.png

dca9f517065e4d7bad922d37032abe56.png

The Malacate property (undeveloped), with the nearby village of Mango Creek in the background.

"Ease of travel for guests and resident employees is critical to the success of the project, therefore the strategy adopted to address this situation is to shuttle the guests and employees from the island to Malacate and from the cruise vessel directly to a passenger vessel in the island marina for those who will go to the mainland or those who experience sea tours. The remainder of the guests can remain on the island and enjoy the amenities and facilities the island will have to offer."

"The infrastructure and operations at Malacate have a twofold purpose: first to be a mainland “home base” for all supplies and support items that needs to be transported to and from the island, and secondly, to be a mainland site for pick-up and drop-off of all island employees and guests for tours and excursions.

The proposed project is basically to complement the development on Harvest Caye. .. Once the guests are transferred to the waiting passenger vessels from the cruise ships on the island, there will be the need for a staging area to transfer them to the transportation that will be taking them to their chosen landside or seaside destination or tour. The site is already partially improved and semi-developed, thus the project will comprise of a tree farm of 4 acres (existing) and 4.53 acres for the BOH, which includes the following: employee parking lot, staging area for guest transfer to terrestrial transportation, and guest building/waiting area. The proposed development at Malacate will only utilize 21.35% of the property for the tourism aspect, leaving the remainder in the present natural state."

My guess is that the water taxi might take some 30 minutes to make the 6-7 kilometer over water.

73405d2850f54d4e8487ab1536b9d970.png

(not sure why the route starts at the ship's dock and not from the marina slightly above that, to me the HC marina would serve that purpose?)

Thanks Freestyle. This is good information. I wonder if there will be a fixed pickup schedule or it will run back and forth continuously. Will there be one boat taking an hour round trip, or multiple boats? Will the transportation be free? Will there be some land excursions by locals that pick up there? So many questions.....LOL It's kind of exciting to be one of the first to experience this new island. We will be there on Dec. 1st.

Edited by MrTexTJ

My guess would be; multiple boats, in a continuous operation (leaving when full or near full or when another boat arrives to take their spot). Maybe in a morning and afternoon schedule timed for the arrival and departure of the shore excursion groups.

The Malacate site does not offer anything for people without an excursion or a good transport arrangement who meets them "outside the gate". Just some storage, utility areas for the island and some covered/departure area for the shore excursions.

4dbeb5ab1853465ba0f960814c6085d9.png

Going by pictures of the Mango Independence Creek found on Google I would not count on any supply for the first period. When the non shorex demand comes as a steady flow villagers/companies might jump on it. A local bus stop might be the very one thing to be there before that time comes, if at all. Because NCL likes it to be a destination port after all. ;)

Second guess is correct. :) It's in the northern tip of the island, the strip is somewhere amog the "phase 2 path" and the pink purpleish "future cenote", see this pic. The dotted lines on the map must be reef if I compare that to the picture so the cabanas should offer good snorkeling! :)

Hey, thanks for the photo link which really puts it in perspective. Another thought I have (that another poster brought up) is about how/who will choose the specific cabanas to which we are assigned. Seeing your photo, I wonder if it will be similar to Royal Caribbean Private Island, where a golf cart would be available to quickly access the area.

One could think that the cabana furthest out would garner the most privacy, yet be the one that needs the most effort the reach. The cabana closest would be the most accessible, but then would everyone else have to pass right by the front? If there were a good road/transport system, as seems in your photo FreestyleNovice, then it would not matter as much where one's assigned cabana is located. ?????? Just postulating and pondering; really excited to see the first reviews .

Again, Thanks FreestyleNovice for all the detailed drawings and description of the infrastructure surrounding HC.

Scanditaly

I called my PCC a couple of weeks ago to ask that he let me know when the Beachfront Cabanas came open for booking for my cruise on the Dawn in April. He called me on Thursday and said he couldn't book them for me, and transferred me over to SHOREX. Well the first thing I was told is the Cabanas will only hold 6 guests, and not the 10 advertised. The second was that regardless of UDP or UBP, no food or drinks are provided. The third thing was, that Harvest Caye WAS NOT NCL'S PRIVATE ISLAND BUT RATHER IT WAS NCL'S PRIVATE PORT! I'm guessing my group of 9 family members will be lounging around the Dawn's pool, or our Owner's Suite balcony, rather than visiting NCL's "Private Port"!:rolleyes:

Hey, thanks for the photo link which really puts it in perspective. Another thought I have (that another poster brought up) is about how/who will choose the specific cabanas to which we are assigned. Seeing your photo, I wonder if it will be similar to Royal Caribbean Private Island, where a golf cart would be available to quickly access the area.

One could think that the cabana furthest out would garner the most privacy, yet be the one that needs the most effort the reach. The cabana closest would be the most accessible, but then would everyone else have to pass right by the front? If there were a good road/transport system, as seems in your photo FreestyleNovice, then it would not matter as much where one's assigned cabana is located. ?????? Just postulating and pondering; really excited to see the first reviews .

Again, Thanks FreestyleNovice for all the detailed drawings and description of the infrastructure surrounding HC.

Scanditaly

My pleasure! That's why we are together here on CC. :D

I've read about a "train" on the main road on the island in the previous linked environmental PDF. Must be something similar to GSC?

First reservation gets either the farthest or the one close by, it would be logical to number them low to high from the island center to the northern tip so the latest guest reserving a cabana would get the most sought after one (I like that far one too hehe :) ) in the end. Plausible?

Except that the Concierge Desk is saying "Guest that has the Ultimate Beverage package can use at the Harvest Caye. We will provide lunch."

I inquired again and received another confirmation from the Concierge Desk - from a different rep this time - with even more detailed information:

"Yes, lunch is served on Harvest Caye around 12/1230pm and your beverage package can also be used on the island."

Currently onboard Norwegian Getaway (fantastic week at sea!), and Cruise Next head representative [Kimberly Bennett] has not once, or twice, but three times publically stated "Every bar on our new private island WILL be covered under the beverage package".

Caveat: she's been a bit of a dim bulb on some other information.

We are sailing on Thanksgiving I believe we are the 2nd ship there and poolside and beach Cabanas. They are a bit pricey for the short time we are there but here is the description... Beach=$475.00 Spend a sultry day inside the comfort of one of our incredible self-contained retreats that comfortably house up to six guests. Each cabana provides a great home base for enjoying your stay on the Cay. Placed on a secluded portion of the island your cabana offers a step back in time allowing you the opportunity to build a sandcastle with the kids and for taking a dip in the sea. Rest, relax, enjoy the Caribbean views from your front porch or from the air conditioned interior. Each cabana includes private restroom, in door and out door showers, Bluetooth audio, a digital safe, mini refrigerator, beach hammock and your very own Butler and Concierge service. Reserve a cabana and you’ll have everything you need to enjoy a glorious day on Harvest Cay. Pool=$199.00 Retreat to the privacy of your own poolside canopy cabana. These uniquely designed cabanas will elevate the status of your island experience providing the perfect mix of rest and relaxation in the lagoon-style pool retreat. Relax on lounge chairs under your cabana canopy and draw the curtains for additional privacy. The pool also features a fun resort atmosphere with easy access to the bar, retail shops and Margaritaville. Pool canopy cabanas accommodate 2 guests. https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/BPI_15_Cabanas_1920x1008.jpg The link is a picture of the beach cabana, no picture posted of the pool cabana

Edited by yoboy08753

Would it be too much trouble for NCL to release a statement regarding Harvest Caye as to what will and will not be included?

It would put an end to all this speculation and help their customers plan their vacations.

Are they engaging in this evasiveness deliberately or am I being naïve in thinking that they either don't know about all this speculation or they just don't care?

Any thoughts?

Would it be too much trouble for NCL to release a statement regarding Harvest Caye as to what will and will not be included?

It would put an end to all this speculation and help their customers plan their vacations.

Are they engaging in this evasiveness deliberately or am I being naïve in thinking that they either don't know about all this speculation or they just don't care?

Any thoughts?

Ditto here.

Super information. Thanks for the input.

My guess would be; multiple boats, in a continuous operation (leaving when full or near full or when another boat arrives to take their spot). Maybe in a morning and afternoon schedule timed for the arrival and departure of the shore excursion groups.

The Malacate site does not offer anything for people without an excursion or a good transport arrangement who meets them "outside the gate". Just some storage, utility areas for the island and some covered/departure area for the shore excursions.

4dbeb5ab1853465ba0f960814c6085d9.png

Going by pictures of the Mango Independence Creek found on Google I would not count on any supply for the first period. When the non shorex demand comes as a steady flow villagers/companies might jump on it. A local bus stop might be the very one thing to be there before that time comes, if at all. Because NCL likes it to be a destination port after all. ;)