July 4th celebration on ships?

blueridgemama

We will be on The Star northbound Alaska cruise which leaves on July 2nd, 2016. Does any one know if they have fireworks or any other celebration for July 4th?

Remember, there will be passengers from countries other than the U.S. on board. I would not expect to see fireworks, I don't think Princess ships are set up for them. There might have some food, displays, or decorations.

I'm pretty sure I have read that Disney cruises do have fireworks?

Disney has fireworks on all sailings where the government of the are where the ship is located will permit it. However, in Alaska the fireworks are prohibited for "environmental reasons."

DCL's normal fireworks show is about 8 minutes long and choreographed to music--much the same way their shows in the parks are done but not as long. The starboard aft section of the pool deck is blocked off while the show is being set up as well as during the show as the fireworks are shot from this area.

The fireworks shows have been regular events since 1998 in the Caribbean, and later on European and Mexican Riviera cruises.

Edited by moki'smommy

Most of the time in Alaska, you leave port too early to see any local fireworks.

I have cruised several times over the 4th of July and don't remember anything special except for a mention in Princess Patters. RCCL had a special menu and one year, an official copy of the Declaration of Independence was in Alaska and it was on our ship for one afternoon to view. I think it toured every Princess ship in Alaska that week. I think that was unique to that year.

I am not sure what port you will be in that day but we were in Ketchikan one year and it was actually a pain. There was a local parade and just walking across town was difficult. I also remember there were a bunch of people looking at Creek Street and I thought maybe the salmon were running. I had been told we would be too early to see it. It wasn't salmon but a rubber ducky race.

If I had known this, I would have scheduled a shore excursion out of town. Local parades are cute for locals to see their high school bands and local dance teams but I wanted to see Alaska.

Edited by Coral