12 B2B passengers hold up Regal's debarkation

rexdillinger

Interesting to hear of what happened on the Regal Dec. 6 B2B experience. We boarded that day, then went through the same procedure on Dec. 13 as we were doing a B2B also. Over 500 people waited and waited in the Princess Theater for a half dozen people to show up. One couple came and sat in the last row of the starboard side of the theater. The early arrivals had been seated port side, followed by middle section, followed by starboard side. When that couple heard the rows would be departing the theater from front row port side all the way over to the last arrivals on starboard side, we saw them sneak out and file back in on the port side and sit over there. Therefore, they couldn't be inconvenienced to show up on time, and then couldn't be inconvenienced to wait until the very end to leave the theater, turning in their customs form when they left.

Later in the week we were on a private tour with Bernard's tours in St. Maarten and guess who was on our mini-bus with us?? The inconsiderate couple! When the driver announced free beer, rum punch, sodas and water, this Aussie couple jumped up and grabbed beers and rum punch. All day long they chugged beers and rum punch. In fact, our bus's 3 cases of beer were gone before the end of the day with those two drinking at least one case of it. I guess some people are selfish in all aspects of their lives. They even delayed us at our last stop because they didn't return to the bus at the time requested. Disgusting!

Interesting to hear of what happened on the Regal Dec. 6 B2B experience. We boarded that day, then went through the same procedure on Dec. 13 as we were doing a B2B also. Over 500 people waited and waited in the Princess Theater for a half dozen people to show up. One couple came and sat in the last row of the starboard side of the theater. The early arrivals had been seated port side, followed by middle section, followed by starboard side. When that couple heard the rows would be departing the theater from front row port side all the way over to the last arrivals on starboard side, we saw them sneak out and file back in on the port side and sit over there. Therefore, they couldn't be inconvenienced to show up on time, and then couldn't be inconvenienced to wait until the very end to leave the theater, turning in their customs form when they left.

Later in the week we were on a private tour with Bernard's tours in St. Maarten and guess who was on our mini-bus with us?? The inconsiderate couple! When the driver announced free beer, rum punch, sodas and water, this Aussie couple jumped up and grabbed beers and rum punch. All day long they chugged beers and rum punch. In fact, our bus's 3 cases of beer were gone before the end of the day with those two drinking at least one case of it. I guess some people are selfish in all aspects of their lives. They even delayed us at our last stop because they didn't return to the bus at the time requested. Disgusting!

Then you have people on this forum blaming us (who were waiting) for being vocal/MOB, instead of those who were late. I wonder what they would say if it happened to them in this case? Sorry you went through this like we did. Princess should learn from this and try to do something about it.

Yes, we know that Princess can not have the ship cleared until all are accounted for.

My understanding is that between voyages the passenger count must drop to ZERO. That's the ONLY way to ensure that EVERYONE is off the ship.

As a CONVENIENCE for B2B passengers, US Customs has agreed to work with Princess by allowing "in transit" passengers the easier transit through Princess Theater.

Passengers that COULD "transit" in that designated spot CAN instead disembark through the gangway and clear customs with other passengers. If they do so, they must then wait until boarding-- which is AFTER the ship is brought to a zero count. If they choose to disembark, they ARE accounted for and no one is waiting for them to show up in the theater.

Think of the theater and the B2B occupants as "disembarked" and hypothetically NOT on the ship because that's how US Customs looks at it. And once in the theater, and considered off the ship, the transit passengers there cannot embark/enter the ship/leave the theater UNTIL the count is first brought to zero.

Those last passengers were known by name: Princess knew exactly who they were as they were still part of the count. It was a matter of finding them and getting them off the ship.

CONSIDER THIS: if the US Customs officers get aggravated at CONSISTENTLY needing to wait for --in this case an hour while Princess tracks down the stragglers-- they MAY decide at some point that it's just not worth it, and they could decline to do the Princess Theater thing, instead making everyone get off. That's just logical speculation.

HERE'S AN IDEA: Let's say the meeting time is 10am. Then giving a 15 minute grace period, if a transit passenger arrives after, say 10:15am, then do NOT allow then to participate in the transit program. Instead REQUIRE them at that point to disembark, clear customs, and check-in again as a just arriving passenger. I'm sure Princess could write and spin it well. Say:

We've developed an expedited process for those pax continuing with us that requires attendance in the Princess theater at 10am sharp, at which time the doors close. Alternatively, you may disembark using the normal process, should you miss the expedited process.

Doesn't sound so bad, or like they are being punished for being late. But if they have to do the normal route once, they'll never be late again!.

I like your idea. It would work and expedite the process.

What is ignored in that proposal is that, once the passengers are through, the booths are no longer manned, and the CBP personnel are either clearing the people on board ship or performing other duties, not necessarily at the port. Thus, some other process would have to be put in for the late passengers, which would require CBP personnel. I don't think CBP would go along, and if they did, since there is no operational reason to "close the doors", it would be seen as punitive since the in-theatre processing takes time, and there is no practical reason not to let latecomers in. Thus, such a proposal would put Princess personnel and government law enforcement in charge of, effectively, punishing passengers who may have valid excuses (for example, language problems).

The longevity of this thread astounds me. Why does this so overshadow the considerable delight one should feel in having done a back to back (meaning, I imagine, at least 14 days) on a fine ship like the Regal? To get off the ship and feel the need to vent about it here, and at such length, for an event at least a week old at that point!

Edited by Wehwalt

BTB is not on my to do list. Now I know why.

The B2B should not be judged on this at all. We have done many B2B and this was one that was a little long due to some people who could not read and heed. Go for it, you will enjoy it.