gastrobar on Equinox

tbmrt

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry that you had a disappointing experience in Gastrobar. Just wondering...did you ask specifically for medium rare burgers? I tend to find that the standard cooking point for burgers is now well done, unless you ask for them to be cooked differently.

I really enjoyed Gastrobar on the Equinox (December 11 to 21). It was our first experience with Gastrobar, and before this cruise, I was a tiny bit annoyed at the upcharge for the food items on an a la cart basis, but everything we had was so good that I was fine with the charges, which seemed fair for the type of items we had. The truffle fries and the pate were awesome. We didn't try the burgers.

The service was very good, but they do warn you before you order that everything is cooked to order, and the galley is two decks below, so to expect a 15 minute wait. This ended up being an accurate estimate. I found the seating to be very comfortable, which is not always the case on the S-class ships. I am 5'2" and I find a lot of the seating to be designed for taller people, or at least, for people with very long legs. ;)

We enjoyed the GastroBar so much in 2014 we went back for more Thanksgiving!:D

OK, not the only reason we did a repeat on the Equinox. But people on our Roll Call ate there a number of times and to a person said it was very good. This yr I had the mushroom flat bread and it was wonderful!

Sounds like it was just one of those times it don't come out good. tbmrt did you have them take the charge off your sea pass?

• 3 weeks later...

Heading out in March - and was just doing a little research on the Gastrobar.

Looks interesting, and I hope to have a better experience with the burgers (which I'll definitely try). One of our trips to Vegas a few years back had us eating burgers at 5 different well rated spots throughout the week. It can still be hit/miss... next trip it was a "hunt" for buffalo wings ! :D

Any idea if they'll follow through on a request for a RARE burger? It seems many places are too scared (read: their lawyers advised them against it) to offer anything less than Medium to Well... :(

Tom

Heading out in March - and was just doing a little research on the Gastrobar.

Looks interesting, and I hope to have a better experience with the burgers (which I'll definitely try). One of our trips to Vegas a few years back had us eating burgers at 5 different well rated spots throughout the week. It can still be hit/miss... next trip it was a "hunt" for buffalo wings ! :D

Any idea if they'll follow through on a request for a RARE burger? It seems many places are too scared (read: their lawyers advised them against it) to offer anything less than Medium to Well... :(

Tom

Tom the burger in the GastroBar is very thick. If you order it rare the center would still be cold not cool. They do an excellent job cooking the items sold there.

EW

We never got to order there..limited hours on our cruise

space seemed under utilized except for playoff games..then the TVs were way too loud.

reminded me of a college rathskeller / bar

Nice place to read in off hrs...but nothing to hold our interest.. food menu was odd

Good to know - thanks so much !!

Tom

Last Nov was our 2nd time on the Equinox, since the GastroBar was added, and it has become our go to hang out, surpassing the Sunset Bar. They have their own list of specialty cocktails, only made there, and kept the wifesters red wine in stock for her. The flat bread they serve there is well worth the added cost too.

EW

PS: If you get a chance do one of the food/beer paring events, $20 pp, again, well worth the cost.

Edited by wallie5446

We totally enjoyed the GastroBar on the Equinox on our last cruise. They had several wonderful specialty cocktails and craft beers that we enjoyed. The bartenders were very friendly and we enjoyed the Charcuterie plate and truffle fries!! We look forward to going there again on our upcoming cruise!

Has the upfit for the GastroBar been completed on the other S-Class ships?

John and Debbie

• 3 weeks later...
What are the hours for the Gastrobar (open for lunch, and throughout the evening)?

Tom

I read on an old thread that it's noon on sea days and 4 on port days - sound about right?

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

I read on an old thread that it's noon on sea days and 4 on port days - sound about right?

Tom

Sounds right, I'll ck the daily's when I get home later,,,,,,,,,,,:D

EW

Yup, dats correct!

Sea Day on the left, Port day on the right. These are from this past Nov '15

image.jpg.12d7baccdf7611c12760e7734d749897.jpg

Edited by wallie5446