1st time, What Beach for me?

mitsugirly

Oh yea, I now remember something about the polution problem at one of the beaches close to the port, I just didn't remember the name. I don't think I'll chance that one no matter what. Thanks for the heads up. :)

I will have to see if I can find any info on the jet ski rental there. Thanks for the info.

Oh wow, thanks so much for the additional link to reviews. I just read both of them and checked out the pictures. That's really a big difference between the two times that they went to Ship Wreck. It's ashame that it still doesn't look the same. It does sound like the snorkeling was pretty decent though.

Thanks for the info on the Carnival ships listings and a way to check for reviews. I guess I have never paid attention to that part or thought of looking there. I usually just type in what I'm looking for.

You are awesome! I really appreciate you taking the time to guide me with your thoughts and suggestions. You have been a big help and gave me a lot to get started (or at least send my mind racing in thoughts :D). I really appreciate the comments about my reviews. It makes it all worth while to do them when people like you appreciate them and they can help others. Thank you again and I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions at some point after doing some more research. :)

Thank you. :) Yes, please feel free to ask if you have any questions and I'll do the best I can to answer or at least get you some links.

Can you tell me in what order are the beaches at Conkelshell?

Does it start out Lion Rock, then Spice Mill then Reggae? Or do I have Spice and Reggae reversed? When on google earth, it shows Spice Mill all the way at the end, but when I look at pictures, it seems to be in the middle. So I'm confused and just trying to picture the location. :)

Also pgh...

At Divi, which restaurants are you allowed to order from? I see they have a Gizmo's grill, which is a beach grill and also there's a pool side grill (which I understand that we won't be able to use the pool since it's for guest, but will we be able to order from there?) called Seabreeze Cafe. I'm only asking about the pool side grill because they actually have a childrens menu and better options.

Thanks

Can anyone advise as to whether Cockelshell or South Friar's Beach have changing rooms/restrooms available. Our tour ends at one of these two beaches and we don't really want to wear our swimsuits for the first four hours of the tour if we can change into our suits once we get to the beach. Thanks!

Can you tell me in what order are the beaches at Conkelshell?

Does it start out Lion Rock, then Spice Mill then Reggae? Or do I have Spice and Reggae reversed? When on google earth, it shows Spice Mill all the way at the end, but when I look at pictures, it seems to be in the middle. So I'm confused and just trying to picture the location. :)

I know for sure that Reggae Beach Bar/Grille is on the far left end of the beach when facing the water and that's the one where we took shelter when it rained. It was fairly large with a lot of seating. We rented loungers at a place just to the right of Reggae.

I think I saw Spice Mill down to the right, if facing the water, almost down to the other end. There was another bar in between. I had walked from where our loungers were, right next to Reggae, down to the other end for pictures. It isn't a long beach and not that far of a walk. I didn't stop at either since it was a break in the clouds and I wanted pictures of Nevis (or what I saw of it) from that end. I did get a couple from a little path that went up a little hill beyond the beach for pictures looking back at the whole beach. I'll attach those to give you and idea.

This is Reggae Beach Bar (appears to be tucked back in against the hill) from our loungers.

100_1873.jpg

This is the little rock jetty that is between Reggae Beach and the rest of Cockleshell beach

100_1874.jpg

This was the view from our loungers (left side of the beach, next to Reggae, if looking at the water). Down at the far end you'll see a gazebo on the beach and a building behind it. I'm pretty sure that is Spice Mill. Lion Rock would be between Reggae and Spice Mill.

100_1869.jpg

This is the picture from that little path above the beach at the far end (right side if facing the water). Spice Mill can be seen here, it's the closest one. Midway between is another building...Lion Rock (???) and you can barely see Reggae Beach Bar/Grill at the very far end where the pier and rock jetty are.

100_7136.jpg

I wish I could be more help with you with the details, but other than the walk I took for some pictures, we were either dodging rain in Reggae (spent about an hour and a half in there) and our loungers before the rains came and we ended up getting our cab driver, who waited for us) to take us back to the cruise center. I'm hoping this will be some help to you.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Also pgh...

At Divi, which restaurants are you allowed to order from? I see they have a Gizmo's grill, which is a beach grill and also there's a pool side grill (which I understand that we won't be able to use the pool since it's for guest, but will we be able to order from there?) called Seabreeze Cafe. I'm only asking about the pool side grill because they actually have a childrens menu and better options.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that all restaurants are open to all guest. We didn't eat there and only got one adult beverage each. I have a DH that would rather not eat while in port, unless a meal is already included in a tour we do. He'd rather save the extra $$$ and prefers to wait until we return the ship to eat, since it's already paid for. We always choose late seating at dinner, so it's not like we're spoiling our appetite.

There was an old thread, old as in 2009, about Divi Little Bay that's recently been updated with current information. Don't let the "time share" bit scare you away. We did not have to do a tour and listen to a time share talk. We just went down to the beach, found the attendant who set up our loungers/umbrella and paid him. Another poster contacted Divi Little Bay with questions and posted the response they got from the resort. According to that post, all restaurants are open to anyone. I'll attach that link. It's Froufie's response, Post #15

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=931989

Again, I hope this helps. Sorry for my late responses...just got back from spending Christmas in the Pittsburgh area with family and just catching up here on CC. Am I addicted or what? LOL!!!

Yeah, Just saw on your other post that you booked the Breeze, cant wait to meet you on that same cruise! (I swear Im not a stalker LOL)

Think this is the only port I have no clue on, so your post is perfect to help figure out some of the different areas to go to.

There are restrooms/changing rooms on both beaches. I know Reggae Beach has both as does Shipwreck and Carambola on South Friars.

Carambola you have to pay, but believe this fee is included if you are on a Ship Tour which includes a beach visit to Carambola. Shipwreck and RB are free. Hope by the time you visit, Shipwreck has not been washed away.

I know for sure that Reggae Beach Bar/Grille is on the far left end of the beach when facing the water and that's the one where we took shelter when it rained. It was fairly large with a lot of seating. We rented loungers at a place just to the right of Reggae.

Thanks for the description and pics. Hopefully I got the following location marks right?

conkleshell%20Bay-L.jpg

You did mention that you were on the other side of Reggae when you rented loungers (I assume this is the location you can see on the other side of the little rock jetty in the picture), is that yet another place to go? What is it called?

Thanks again.

I'm pretty sure that all restaurants are open to all guest. We didn't eat there and only got one adult beverage each. I have a DH that would rather not eat while in port, unless a meal is already included in a tour we do. He'd rather save the extra $$$ and prefers to wait until we return the ship to eat, since it's already paid for. We always choose late seating at dinner, so it's not like we're spoiling our appetite.

There was an old thread, old as in 2009, about Divi Little Bay that's recently been updated with current information. Don't let the "time share" bit scare you away. We did not have to do a tour and listen to a time share talk. We just went down to the beach, found the attendant who set up our loungers/umbrella and paid him. Another poster contacted Divi Little Bay with questions and posted the response they got from the resort. According to that post, all restaurants are open to anyone. I'll attach that link. It's Froufie's response, Post #15

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=931989

Again, I hope this helps. Sorry for my late responses...just got back from spending Christmas in the Pittsburgh area with family and just catching up here on CC. Am I addicted or what? LOL!!!

Thanks. I did end up emailing the resort to see what their response is and I think they must have a generic email they send out (since I had already read it in another thread...probably the thread you linked):

Thank you for your email. We do not charge a fee for day use at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort. The beach is open to public access as well as the restaurants and water sports department. The beach chairs and umbrellas are available for rent daily at the activities hut. The cost is $5.00* for each item. Only guests staying at the resort are allowed to use the pools and hot tubs.

Parking is $10* per vehicle, per day for guests not staying at the resort.

Please be sure to "check-in" with the Front Desk upon arrival at the resort.

Kind Regards,

Guest Relations

Divi Resorts

Yeah, Just saw on your other post that you booked the Breeze, cant wait to meet you on that same cruise! (I swear Im not a stalker LOL)

Think this is the only port I have no clue on, so your post is perfect to help figure out some of the different areas to go to.

Hi there anewmac! :D This and San Juan will be new for us this year, so I'm excited to try "more" new things this year (since last year was also full of new places). :p

Thanks for the description and pics. Hopefully I got the following location marks right?

conkleshell%20Bay-L.jpg

You did mention that you were on the other side of Reggae when you rented loungers (I assume this is the location you can see on the other side of the little rock jetty in the picture), is that yet another place to go? What is it called?

Thanks again.

Yes, your location marks are correct. I think on Google Maps, someone incorrectly has Spice Mill on the opposite side of Reggae Beach bar - that is incorrect. The map you attached is correct.

Yes, our loungers were just on the other side of the little rock jetty from the Reggae Beach Bar. We liked that they were close, yet far enough away for some relaxing beach time.

As for places to go, if you mean the little buildings that can be seen on the map, they were actually little "shacks" that we assumed were where the loungers/umbrellas were stored when not in use. There were to rental areas where we were and we were in front of the shack closest to the Reggae Beach Bar. There was another lounger/umbrella rental shack next to us on the other side as well, but at that time, they weren't places to get food/beverages, at least that we were aware of. They may have had coolers with bottled beverages provided, but we'd gotten ours from the Reggae Beach Bar.

I'll attach some pictures so you can "see" what they are. Again, it was May 2013 that we were at Cockleshell Beach last, so there very well could be some newer facilities there now.

The small little building you can see behind the umbrellas was the shed used by the gal we rented out loungers from. It's the one that is right next to the Reggae Beach Bar (seen in picture tucked among the trees against the hill), just on the other side of the little rock jetty.

100_1873_2.jpg

This was the lounger/umbrella rental "shack" next to the one we rented from. When we first got there, the guy handling the rentals there was raking the beach (some seaweed and lots of shells) and getting loungers set up.

100_1871.jpg

I hope this is helpful and if any of my information is confusing, please let me know. I think your daughter would love this beach and the shelling there is there.

Attaching for you and for Sakari - these are the shells I picked up at Cockleshell beach. There were a lot, but I only wanted a few. These were all found on the beach. I could only imagine what all there is in the water.

IMG_5218.jpg

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Yes, your location marks are correct. I think on Google Maps, someone incorrectly has Spice Mill on the opposite side of Reggae Beach bar - that is incorrect. The map you attached is correct.

Yes, our loungers were just on the other side of the little rock jetty from the Reggae Beach Bar. We liked that they were close, yet far enough away for some relaxing beach time.

As for places to go, if you mean the little buildings that can be seen on the map, they were actually little "shacks" that we assumed were where the loungers/umbrellas were stored when not in use. There were to rental areas where we were and we were in front of the shack closest to the Reggae Beach Bar. There was another lounger/umbrella rental shack next to us on the other side as well, but at that time, they weren't places to get food/beverages, at least that we were aware of. They may have had coolers with bottled beverages provided, but we'd gotten ours from the Reggae Beach Bar.

I'll attach some pictures so you can "see" what they are. Again, it was May 2013 that we were at Cockleshell Beach last, so there very well could be some newer facilities there now.

The small little building you can see behind the umbrellas was the shed used by the gal we rented out loungers from. It's the one that is right next to the Reggae Beach Bar (seen in picture tucked among the trees against the hill), just on the other side of the little rock jetty.

This was the lounger/umbrella rental "shack" next to the one we rented from. When we first got there, the guy handling the rentals there was raking the beach (some seaweed and lots of shells) and getting loungers set up.

I hope this is helpful and if any of my information is confusing, please let me know. I think your daughter would love this beach and the shelling there is there.

Attaching for you and for Sakari - these are the shells I picked up at Cockleshell beach. There were a lot, but I only wanted a few. These were all found on the beach. I could only imagine what all there is in the water.

Yes, I was confused. I was thinking that you rented from Reggae and I couldn't understand why you were sitting on the other side. From looking at the map on google earth, I could tell that there was some type of establishment there by the buildings (shacks) and wondered if it was yet another place to go or an extension of Reggae. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

Can I ask why you decided to rent from them instead? Where they cheaper? Better equipment? Just wondering.

Sakari is going to love this place with all the shells. She has so many of them now and it's one of her favorite things to do at the beach. She always brings something to put them in.

Mitsugirly...forgot to attach this one for you and Sakari. Found these, all up on the beach, at Divi Little Bay. This looks like a lot, but I'm keeping 1/3 of these and the rest will be "moving" to TX and MI this week.

Wow your collection is awesome. I like how you have them separated like that. I should have done something like that a long time ago. We have so many that I don't know where they came from at this point. :eek:

Yes, I was confused. I was thinking that you rented from Reggae and I couldn't understand why you were sitting on the other side. From looking at the map on google earth, I could tell that there was some type of establishment there by the buildings (shacks) and wondered if it was yet another place to go or an extension of Reggae. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

Can I ask why you decided to rent from them instead? Where they cheaper? Better equipment? Just wondering.

Sakari is going to love this place with all the shells. She has so many of them now and it's one of her favorite things to do at the beach. She always brings something to put them in.

Wow your collection is awesome. I like how you have them separated like that. I should have done something like that a long time ago. We have so many that I don't know where they came from at this point. :eek:

Actually, we have no specific reason we rented from the place we did when at Cockleshell other than it was convenient, the prices were reasonable ($10.00 for 2 loungers/1 umbrella), and it was right next to Reggae Beach Bar/Grille. When we were dropped off by our taxi driver, he told us that the Reggae Beach bar would be on the left from where we entered the beach. When we got on the beach from the parking lot, that spot is where we entered the beach. The lounges at the spot we rented from seemed very similar to the other spots in the area, but we don't know what the others were charging. We also wanted to enjoy the beach and the water instead of sitting in a bar while at Cockleshell beach, but we were just a short walk away from Reggae when we were ready for drinks. We ended up making a mad dash over to Reggae when the rains came (pouring) and enjoyed some beers at a table till the rain ended, so part of the time was actually spent hanging out in the bar. Once the rain ended, we were able to go right back to our loungers. It did seem more crowded at Reggae later on since that was were some of the water excursions would drop off passengers from their boats.

I have two friends who collect shells (thus "moving" to TX and MI) and I know the one gets these real neat jars and ties wooden tags with the name of the places the shells are from around the top, so I made sure to clean and separate them by island so I can keep them separated for her so she'll know which came from which island. I got some from St. Kitts and St. Maarten this time, and definitely collected more than I normally do so I'd have enough to share. I have a few shells from other trips that are separated and I'd love to do the jars/wooden name tags but just haven't had time. Before I start on that, I need to do my photobook with pictures from this cruise and hoping to get started on that by the end of January.

Actually, we have no specific reason we rented from the place we did when at Cockleshell other than it was convenient, the prices were reasonable ($10.00 for 2 loungers/1 umbrella), and it was right next to Reggae Beach Bar/Grille. When we were dropped off by our taxi driver, he told us that the Reggae Beach bar would be on the left from where we entered the beach. When we got on the beach from the parking lot, that spot is where we entered the beach. The lounges at the spot we rented from seemed very similar to the other spots in the area, but we don't know what the others were charging. We also wanted to enjoy the beach and the water instead of sitting in a bar while at Cockleshell beach, but we were just a short walk away from Reggae when we were ready for drinks. We ended up making a mad dash over to Reggae when the rains came (pouring) and enjoyed some beers at a table till the rain ended, so part of the time was actually spent hanging out in the bar. Once the rain ended, we were able to go right back to our loungers. It did seem more crowded at Reggae later on since that was were some of the water excursions would drop off passengers from their boats.

I have two friends who collect shells (thus "moving" to TX and MI) and I know the one gets these real neat jars and ties wooden tags with the name of the places the shells are from around the top, so I made sure to clean and separate them by island so I can keep them separated for her so she'll know which came from which island. I got some from St. Kitts and St. Maarten this time, and definitely collected more than I normally do so I'd have enough to share. I have a few shells from other trips that are separated and I'd love to do the jars/wooden name tags but just haven't had time. Before I start on that, I need to do my photobook with pictures from this cruise and hoping to get started on that by the end of January.

Thanks for the description. Makes sense now. I was just confused when you said where you were sitting and then I know you talked about the rain and sitting at the bar.

I guess we'll see once we get there what seems to "tickle our fancy" for the day. :p I believe I have read that Reggae charges $5 per item, so 2 chairs and an umbrella would be $15 (although it's hard to tell if this other establishment next door still charges the same amount that they charged you back then since it's been a couple of years and also, they could very well be offering more now, like food/drinks...although I haven't read anything to indicate there's a new place there).

Thanks again for all your help and advice. I really appreciate it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like we will possibly be going on a short "tour" of Basseterre with a stop at Timothy Hill and then on to Reggae beach. Someone on our roll call is organizing this for us and got an awesome deal, which is cheaper than what we would have paid for transportation.

At this point, my mind is mush from work, school and planning everything and since I had taken a "break" from the planning, my memory of details is running together.

I skimmed this post again and didn't see if I asked...is there any snorkeling here at Reggae? If so, how decent? Is is just one of those things that I could bring a mask and have a look around or is there a lot more to see and should bring the flippers and all? I seen where the links were posted to Friars beach and snorkeling, but I don't think I ask the question for here? If I did, so sorry, but please remind me. :D

It looks like we will possibly be going on a short "tour" of Basseterre with a stop at Timothy Hill and then on to Reggae beach. Someone on our roll call is organizing this for us and got an awesome deal, which is cheaper than what we would have paid for transportation.

At this point, my mind is mush from work, school and planning everything and since I had taken a "break" from the planning, my memory of details is running together.

I skimmed this post again and didn't see if I asked...is there any snorkeling here at Reggae? If so, how decent? Is is just one of those things that I could bring a mask and have a look around or is there a lot more to see and should bring the flippers and all? I seen where the links were posted to Friars beach and snorkeling, but I don't think I ask the question for here? If I did, so sorry, but please remind me. :D

Yes, there is snorkeling at Reggae. I brought my snorkel set that day but with the weather we had, I never bothered trying. From my understanding, it's decent snorkeling.

Actually, there is a review by CC member, Dirkgun, from last January. They were on the southern itinerary out of San Juan, which has a regular port of call in St. Kitts, and they spent their day at Reggae and included several pictures, including snorkeling. His review just popped up again and I just read it again. I was thinking they were at Shipwreck on that cruise, but on this cruise they were at Reggae, in Cockleshell Beach. They've done this itinerary a few times and he's done reviews for all and I know one of them included Shipwreck (it was their 2012 cruise that included pictures of Shipwreck/snorkeling there). I'll attach the link to his review with Reggae Beach (I don't think he'd mind) and hoping I've attached it to start where their day in St. Kitts begins, but if not, it's on page 8. There are several beautiful pictures of the beach at Reggae, snorkeling, and of the Reggae Beach bar. Hope this helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2173623&highlight=valor&page=8

Thanks. I do remember you posting that link but was thinking it was for the other beach I was looking at. Hmmm, I know the person got some fairly decent pics of fish in the area. But, I'm wondering just how good the snorkeling is. I have a feeling that it's just things here and there (and obviously not a reef). I have looked up videos on youtube and it mainly shows it to be one of those areas that have sea grass here and there. There was mention of seeing some starfish and an octopus about 150 yards out in a review on Trip Advisor, but that was 2013. I'll take my equipment just in case but another person on our roll call was asking. I just can't seem to find much about the snorkeling at that beach.

Thanks. I do remember you posting that link but was thinking it was for the other beach I was looking at. Hmmm, I know the person got some fairly decent pics of fish in the area. But, I'm wondering just how good the snorkeling is. I have a feeling that it's just things here and there (and obviously not a reef). I have looked up videos on youtube and it mainly shows it to be one of those areas that have sea grass here and there. There was mention of seeing some starfish and an octopus about 150 yards out in a review on Trip Advisor, but that was 2013. I'll take my equipment just in case but another person on our roll call was asking. I just can't seem to find much about the snorkeling at that beach.

Oops, I did post that link before, didn't I?!?! :eek: I had just reread the review when it popped up again to mentally escape winter (almost 30" of snow here) and when I saw your question about snorkeling, attached it without going back to the earlier parts of the thread to actually see that I'd already done so. I guess I didn't get confused with when (which cruise) they were in Cockleshell vs. Shipwreck after all. I wish I could be more help with the snorkeling at Cockleshell, but hopefully someone else can provide more details with actual experiences.

Been to Cockleshell beach twice. We went there in Feb. 2015 and was just there in Oct. 2015. We stayed at a little place right in the middle. It was called "Best Spot on the Beach" and is now "No Limit Beach Chair & Umbrella Rentals". Less crowded, cold beer, good service. It is not fancy. If you want to just relax and drink some cool ones..this is a great place. They do have a facebook. Nolimitbeach Chairrentals. Give them a try. Did I mention....$2 beers and $5 rum punch. 2 chairs and umbrella $10. Can't beat it!

Edited by utopiagal

Been to Cockleshell beach twice. We went there in Feb. 2015 and was just there in Oct. 2015. We stayed at a little place right in the middle. It was called "Best Spot on the Beach" and is now "No Limit Beach Chair & Umbrella Rentals". Less crowded, cold beer, good service. It is not fancy. If you want to just relax and drink some cool ones..this is a great place. They do have a facebook. Nolimitbeach Chairrentals. Give them a try. Did I mention....$2 beers and $5 rum punch. 2 chairs and umbrella $10. Can't beat it!

Did you snorkel while you were there and if so, was it any good?

We decided to go with a huge group that is being organized on our roll call (so far 65 of us going was the last count over the past few days) and it includes our transportation there and back and tour for $15. You can't beat that price! So, we'll probably be sticking to Reggae beach with this deal. :)

Great to see you are headed this way before us (we will be there in May)! We also wanted to do a beach day at St Kitts. A friend recommended Cockleshell so I will be looking forward to your review and pics when you return!

We were on the Breeze last year. Your review will bring back great memories!

Great to see you are headed this way before us (we will be there in May)! We also wanted to do a beach day at St Kitts. A friend recommended Cockleshell so I will be looking forward to your review and pics when you return!

We were on the Breeze last year. Your review will bring back great memories!

I will definitely have a full review when I return. :D

After seeing pics and aerials I hesitated for this beach as we always picture Caribbean beaches as soft white sand and turquoise waters. This area seems totally different but a beach nontheless! When my friend showed me the aerial and that it was basically on the border of Atlantic vs Caribbean I wondered if the water was as nice too but will have to see what you have to say and then experience it ourselves!

PS, I have always planned out vacations almost to a fault, then saw your post on another thread of yours showing your method and pictures etc. Im trying that route this time. You should think about doing a cruise planning thread with lots of details and pictures. I think it would be so useful to those of us who seem to plan down to the last detail wanting no surprises!!

D