If you pay in full before final payment date?

DaveOKC

Due to an attractive credit card deal, I want to pay for my cruise about 6 months earlier than I need to (before final payment date).

Question - if later I decide to cancel my cruise before final payment date, will I be penalized at all? Anything else I should consider?

Due to an attractive credit card deal, I want to pay for my cruise about 6 months earlier than I need to (before final payment date).

Question - if later I decide to cancel my cruise before final payment date, will I be penalized at all? Anything else I should consider?

For my 2014 cruise, and for a similar reason, I paid months before the final payment date, and was assured there would be no penalty if I cancelled before that date.

Anything else I should consider?
If you buy the HAL cancellation plan, I think you will not get the premium back even if you cancel before final payment day. Not 100% sure of that though. Better ask HAL.

Edited by jtl513

Hate to rain on your parade, but IMHO there is no such thing as an "attractive" credit card offer.

The only way to make a credit card work for you is to pay it off every month and carry a zero balance. Less than two percent of credit card users can do that.

If it looks that good to you, don't be surprised if one day you find yourself paying 29% interest. Read the fine print.

I once made final payment a few weeks before the due date as we would be traveling when it was to be paid. I was assured if we should have to cancel prior to the actual 'due date', we would get full refund.

Hate to rain on your parade, but IMHO there is no such thing as an "attractive" credit card offer.

The only way to make a credit card work for you is to pay it off every month and carry a zero balance. Less than two percent of credit card users can do that.

If it looks that good to you, don't be surprised if one day you find yourself paying 29% interest. Read the fine print.

That was a big assumption - Dave never said anything about charging up and not paying it off. How do you pay for your cruises? Mine has to go on a credit card.

Wow, I love finding out I'm in the 2 percent of something! But 2 percent seems awfully low...

Edited by Barrheadlass

If you buy the HAL cancellation plan, I think you will not get the premium back even if you cancel before final payment day. Not 100% sure of that though. Better ask HAL.

No, you lose the payment for the insurance. But, you can pay in full and add the HAL insurance on the final payment date.

But, you can pay in full and add the HAL insurance on the final payment date.
No, you must buy the CPP at least 1 day before final payment day. Usually I pay in full about a week early, and buy the CPP at the same time. Edited by jtl513

Getting back to the OP, There would be no difference (or penalty) than if you wait. However, be advised that you never receive a refund of CPP once paid even if you cancel before final payment. It is also critical that you understand what final payment date, without penalty, really is. Final payment date, as understood by most is the day you begin to incur penalty if cancelled on that date or after. To cancel and get a 100% refund (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF CCP) is actually the day before final payment date.

So, if you understand that final payment date is say June 1st, then the final cancellation date incurring no penalty would be to cancel by May 30.

No, you lose the payment for the insurance. But, you can pay in full and add the HAL insurance on the final payment date.

Our TA has always advised to not add the cruise protection/insurance coverage until right before final payment (usually concurrent with final payment, 4-5 days before the actual deadline) just for this reason - you lose it if you cancel even if you cancel prior to the final payment date.

I don't think it should come as any surprise to anyone that credit cards charge interest. Right now I have a new credit card that is doubling the cash back for transactions I charge before March. There is no stipulation that I leave a balance. I'm another person that pays all balances off monthly. I would call that an "attractive" credit card offer.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I will go ahead and make the early payment.

I agree that one must know the details of any credit card offer, but I am one of those people who pays the monthly balance off in full everytime, so this offer is very attractive to me.

I don't think it should come as any surprise to anyone that credit cards charge interest. Right now I have a new credit card that is doubling the cash back for transactions I charge before March. There is no stipulation that I leave a balance. I'm another person that pays all balances off monthly. I would call that an "attractive" credit card offer.

Yes, and another attractive incentive is getting 25,000 or 50,000 award miles if one charges X$ within three or four months. That, also, does not require carrying a balance. The incentive has provided us with Business class seats on every international flight we have since taken.

So please, tell us how you read minds to know the details of the deal the OP was talking about...

Would it work for you if you paid all but one or two hundred so the balance would still be owing but you would get most out of your new card deal?

:confused: Cruz chic said there was no stipulation with her offer that she leave a balance. Why would she leave a balance if she was prepared to pay in full? How would she be getting more out of the 'new card deal'?

:confused: Cruz chic said there was no stipulation with her offer that she leave a balance. Why would she leave a balance if she was prepared to pay in full? How would she be getting more out of the 'new card deal'?

Exactly. Sometimes people ask the strangest questions.

No Dave, you will not. On our recent cruise, the promo that we received resulted in the total cost of the cruise being less than the normal deposit required. This meant that we had to pay the entire balance as a deposit. We were assured that should we need to cancel before the final payment was due, we would receive a complete refund. I always add a reminder to my calendar a couple of days earlier than final payment just to be sure.