MSC Difference

duegwb

I've read about the experience being different on MSC than on Royal or another line. Can someone explain what elthe difference is? Is the servrcie, dining experience, excursions etc different? I am not trying to see if one is better than the other just how they do things.

I've read about the experience being different on MSC than on Royal or another line. Can someone explain what elthe difference is? Is the servrcie, dining experience, excursions etc different? I am not trying to see if one is better than the other just how they do things.

If you are contemplating sailing out of the US then you'll probably not notice that much different as they tailor the offering for the US market. You'll hear announcements in many languages and there will likely be more European and other nationalities onboard. Having a broader mix of nationalities onboard leads to a different feel onboard.

If you are thinking of sailing elsewhere, expect to me in a small minority. The ship and everything else will be over the top Italian - not American Italian, but Italian, iTalian! They still cater for English speakers but most passengers won't be English speaking.

It is quite aEuropean line popular in iTaly and German in particular. Also used by French and Spanish too. Slowly growing in the UK.

When sailing from Miami the announcements are only one language, English. They do not have the 5 languages anymore during the shows either.

There is always a pasta dish for dining, but there are wonderful entrees other than pasta. The dessert selections are good.

We just got off the Divina a week ago, out of Miami. Lots of announcements were in 5 languages, most of them were just in English. We loved being surrounded by non-Americans, and ate mostly in the main dining room, occasionaly at the buffet. A lot of Italians/Europeans are not used to lining up to get food like in a soup kitchen, so their buffet "etiquette" was not American. Expect it to be different, not a Carnivalized ship. We did, and loved it!

The food was very good, in the dining room there was escargot, lobster, steak, several fish dishes - and pasta too. All of it was good. We didn't ask for water but our glasses were filled as soon as we sat down (and we drank it). We liked that servers were not pushy or annoying about alcoholic drinks, they asked once, we declined, and that was it. We loved that too.

The desert choices on the buffet were actually better than in the main dining room, but all tasted delicious. The coffee was also good and strong - those that liked it weaker asked for Americano coffee, or for some hot water to dilute it. It was never a problem. Enjoy your cruise!

We just got off the Divina a week ago, out of Miami. Lots of announcements were in 5 languages, most of them were just in English. We loved being surrounded by non-Americans, and ate mostly in the main dining room, occasionaly at the buffet. A lot of Italians/Europeans are not used to lining up to get food like in a soup kitchen, so their buffet "etiquette" was not American. Expect it to be different, not a Carnivalized ship. We did, and loved it!

The food was very good, in the dining room there was escargot, lobster, steak, several fish dishes - and pasta too. All of it was good. We didn't ask for water but our glasses were filled as soon as we sat down (and we drank it). We liked that servers were not pushy or annoying about alcoholic drinks, they asked once, we declined, and that was it. We loved that too.

The desert choices on the buffet were actually better than in the main dining room, but all tasted delicious. The coffee was also good and strong - those that liked it weaker asked for Americano coffee, or for some hot water to dilute it. It was never a problem. Enjoy your cruise!

How do the drink packages work? Are they similar to Carnival and Royal? I was reading you had to pay to use a pool at the back of the ship, was that the case?

What kinds of shows did they have? More like your Princess and Carnival cruise than different?

Is the servrcie, dining experience, excursions etc different?

I found bar staff to be the best of the four cruises / three lines I've tried. Our cabin steward always did his job but never introduced himself like on other lines.

I found restaurant service comparable to other lines except the meal timing was slower, which felt like dining in Italy. Food was some nights lukewarm or cold, this never happened on other lines. I theorized that they were bringing out multiple courses at the same time (to the prep station, not to the table) to minimize galley visits.

Excursions felt the same, because MSC just hires local companies like the other cruise lines do. You still queue in the theater (or a lounge), and get your sticker, and follow someone with a numbered sign around :)

How do the drink packages work? Are they similar to Carnival and Royal?

Drink packages must be purchased by everyone in the room but has no limit. They're also much cheaper at €26/pp/day, so two people on Allegrissimo (all inclusive) ends up being around the price of one person on Royal Caribbean. Drink gratuities are only 15%, not 18% on packages and a la carte drink orders. I enjoyed the fact that I didn't have to always have both cards to order drinks for my wife and I, the waiters just ran everything at the same time (unlike Celebrity).

Oh and it's a minor thing but really did get on my nerves - always signing for drinks, even if the total was $0. One of the perks to a drink package for me on Celebrity was not having to deal with the paper.

We just booked MSC Davina for June 2016, after being soured with current Royal and Celebrity pricing, itineraries and ship locations. Another few bonuses, they recognized our Diamond/Elite status, 10% veteran discount and kids sail free. Savings all around.

Yes, BOGO & 10% veterans, I just sent my DD214 today. So far my Reservationist with MSC has been a pleasure. If this works out I can see this being our next go to cruise line, with the new Seaside coming in 2017 it looks like a blast.

We got of the Divina 2 weeks ago. The only announcements in multiple languages were safety announcements like life boat drill. When Captain said had his welcome party and farewell speech he did in multiple languages. I got the feeling he was showing off.

All other announcements were in English.

Pizza at the buffet was very good. This was our 4th time on the ship and think they have come a long way to cater to the American guest.

I have been on 28 Royal Caribbean cruises but cannot compare the 2. It really all depends on what you are looking for in a cruise. I think they are both excellent choice

I have been curious about MSC. I know its a family owned line.

When I look at the reviews for each ship here on CC the scores are unusually low. Is that representative of the experience?

Scores are subjective but low cruise price is a fact. You are doing your wallet a disservice for not trying out MSC. I booked, saved hundreds and will be going with a totally open mind.

What kinds of shows did they have? More like your Princess and Carnival cruise than different?

I thought the shows were MUCH better than Princess and Carnival. We watched 7 different shows on 7 nights. The best was the last, it was Michael Jackson - the man was phenomenal! There was also an afternoon performance - a mini opera - which was also phenomenal! Short - but phenomenal. Some rude people actually got up and walked out in the middle of the performance - perhaps they didn't realize it would be an OPERA - which meant the rest of us missed parts as the entire row has to stand up to let anyone out.

There was "the Mask" which was a dancing, acrobatic affair like the Mask movie with Jim Carrey - also excellent. There was a lot of singing - they are professional singers and PROFESSIONAL dancers. I didn't realize that, until I saw them, and they are absolutely fantastic. The "taste of Italy" was good. The Pirate night was fun - but probably my least favorite - although the quality of singing and dancing was excellent.

Because this is an Italian line, the singing, dancing , acrobats, magicians are all entertaining and don't have to be in English (Who hasn't heard Michael Jackson's songs or Volare?)

One night was The Voices - amazing singing of all kinds of songs - loved that one too!

Enjoy your cruise!

Tracey/Thom

Are the dining times similar to other cruise lines. It seems I have seen 7:15 and 9:45. Possibly that is for the MSC European cruises?

Charlie

We just returned from the Dec. 5, 2015 sailing Miami to the Eastern Caribbean. Dining times were 5:45 and 8:30 pm. The Black Crab (lower) level was a lovely dining room, but crowded at 5:45 - we ate there almost every night and loved every meal we ate. We thought the servers were very efficient, polite and helpful. I've read lots of complaints about the service, but we didn't have any problems. It's an Italian cruiseline, don't expect American service, expect European service from European trained staff. Dinner took about an hour and a half, which is not bad for a 5 course meal, and we enjoyed every minute of it.

I was reading you had to pay to use a pool at the back of the ship, was that the case?

No, it's free. Children must be supervised. There is a pay Sundeck called Top 18, up on deck 18, no pool there.

Drinks package, Allegrissimo, is great. Wine is OK, not great, spirits fine, beer draught only - was Heineken on our last cruise. In addition, bottled water for going ashore, speciality coffees were very good.

Edited by CruiseIreland

We just returned from the Dec. 5, 2015 sailing Miami to the Eastern Caribbean. Dining times were 5:45 and 8:30 pm. The Black Crab (lower) level was a lovely dining room, but crowded at 5:45 - we ate there almost every night and loved every meal we ate. We thought the servers were very efficient, polite and helpful. I've read lots of complaints about the service, but we didn't have any problems. It's an Italian cruiseline, don't expect American service, expect European service from European trained staff. Dinner took about an hour and a half, which is not bad for a 5 course meal, and we enjoyed every minute of it.

Thanks! I'm assuming it was crowded because most of the passengers preferred the MDR to the buffet.

Charlie

I understand unlike many cruise lines, you can't bring your own wine on board free of charge. Is this correct?

This is true, although their alcohol prices and packages are so darn reasonable compared to other lines, I haven't wanted to bring my own. That said, it is a bummer if you have that one bottle/brand that you really want and they don't have it.

We would really like to try MSC, but the air prices to MIA or FLL are ridiculous from Nashville or Knoxville.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried Allegiant Air from Knoxville to Ft. Lauderdale? They are usually pretty cheap flights.