1st Cruise in 2 weeks on RC. Have questions :)

Skygirl1978

Hi! Any information would be GREATLY appreciated. My guy friend and I are going on the Independence of the seas in two weeks. 5 night Cozumel, Belize cruise. We are departing from FLL. Since it's our first time cruising I have questions.

1. On RCI, can you pay a fee to board early or embark early on the first or last day?

2. Is it better to buy drink packages or Internet packages on the ship or beforehand? I mean, do they discount it when you get on ship or just better to have everything paid for ahead of time.

3. Is it better to be in the AFT or Front of the ship? We are on Deck 6. Your thoughts?

4. Can you use your cell phone if you purchase wi-fi package or is it extremely slow.

5. Better to go with Royal Caribbean Excursions or find one on your own for less money?

6. Are the rooms updated or outdated? We ended up with a Superior Balcony D3 room. Not sure what D3 means.

Again, I know that is a lot of questions, but any help on any of the questions would be greatly appreciated? Thank you so much!!!

You can board RCI when they open for boarding.,...so far, RCI doesn't make you pay extra for early boarding...arrive around 11:30am.

no discounts for advance or delayed buying of anything.....

I'd rather be aft than forward...but ideally, mid ships is the most convenient...near stairs and elevators!

Can't help with the phone...we've never used ours once we're underway.

A guidebook is you BEST help for figuring out what to do in each port. Most things don't require a guide....if you know something about where you're going, you will find many things that are cheap and easy and fun to do on your own! Go to your library and check out a guidebook!

All D's are the same size...the number designation is either for location or number of beds in the cabin....Same with E category cabins. The cabins are what they are....updated in regards to TV, but not programming!

You can board RCI when they open for boarding.,...so far, RCI doesn't make you pay extra for early boarding...arrive around 11:30am.

no discounts for advance or delayed buying of anything.....

I'd rather be aft than forward...but ideally, mid ships is the most convenient...near stairs and elevators!

Can't help with the phone...we've never used ours once we're underway.

A guidebook is you BEST help for figuring out what to do in each port. Most things don't require a guide....if you know something about where you're going, you will find many things that are cheap and easy and fun to do on your own! Go to your library and check out a guidebook!

All D's are the same size...the number designation is either for location or number of beds in the cabin....Same with E category cabins. The cabins are what they are....updated in regards to TV, but not programming!

I agree with the above, but would ad that the net is slooooooooooooooow.

I was assigned an adjoining room, but don't need it. Question, since it's adjoining will be share a balcony or have a divider and privacy? What makes a room superior over a Deluxe? We were assigned superior room.

No difference at all in how the balcony is setup. A superior cabin is about 15 square feet larger than a deluxe. When you have a adjoining cabin there will be a door between cabins, almost always the cabin will have a easy chair instead of a small couch where the door is located, the door is almost invisible after a day in your cabin. Even though you are past final payment day it is possible to change cabins in your same category if you don't like the adjoining idea. Do a mock booking on the RCCL website to see what cabins are still available and then call your TA to ask for a switch to that cabin. Lastly, don't over think your cruise, you have a great cabin cat. just sit back and relax.. happy cruising

Assuming the Jan.2 sailing, your roll call (people who are on the very sailing with you) is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2246495

You may find someone arranging private tour(s) and there may be a Meet&Greet get-together planned.

Satellite internet is slow at its best. We never buy time, but take our devices (Note3, UltraBook) off at ports where we think we will have time in a cyber-pub to check in with family. On a 5-day cruise I think we wouldn't even do that but just disconnect!