Question:Gratuities for Camp Carnival staff

bingo3

I have tried searching and cannot find this. I will be taking my grandchildren on a cruise for the first time and was wondering about gratuities for the camp carnival staff and if that is appropriate. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me?

Thank you.

debbie

I haven't used those services yet, but will next year. This is what I've learned so far:

Night Owls is 10pm to 1am for a fee and 15% gratuity is added. You can write in an additional tip if you want.

The Camp staff gets part of the automatic gratuities that you pay for the cruise. That's why small children still have to pay auto tips. I'm not sure how much they are allocated, but my guess is that it isn't much.

I have read here at CC that some people tip cash when they drop off or pick up their children each day. Others tip at the end of the week. And I'm sure plenty others don't tip at all. Just like with all other tipping, do what you think is right.

One way to look at this. Do adults pay the entertainment staff on the ship tips? The dancers, singers, and all the remaining people that help provide entertainment? I would say not. The kid's club is the same thing. They work for the kids, like the other people work for you. Kids pay for this when they (parents) pay for their fare.

Any staff member, would gladly take money from you, but they are not tipped employees.

Kids staff are NOT in the tip pool. They all have credentials in child care and as such as paid for their skills and education. While a tip is appreciated they aren't depending on it. If you appreciate their services I am sure any amount that you give whether to an individual or the group would be well received.

You haven't said how long the cruise is, and you will have to wait to see how much they utilize the camp at all.

There is no "must tip" rule. However if your child loves camp and has a great experience with one of the workers there I'd certainly give something at the end of the cruise. I doubt that anyone will refuse it and say they are too well trained to deserve it.

I stand corrected on the auto tips. I got that information from someone on this forum who either wasn't corrected or I missed it. I did a Google search and saw a job at from Oct 2015 for camp carnival staff. Salary $1400-1600 tax free per month with food, accommodation and health insurance.

One way to look at this. Do adults pay the entertainment staff on the ship tips? The dancers, singers, and all the remaining people that help provide entertainment? I would say not. The kid's club is the same thing. They work for the kids, like the other people work for you. Kids pay for this when they (parents) pay for their fare.

Any staff member, would gladly take money from you, but they are not tipped employees.

Yes. I believe it is $2/day...in the auto tips...

The kid's activity folks are well-paid

I'm sure many are taking early retirement and living high off the hog.

OP, we always tipped $5-$10 per child per day if they stayed 4 or more hours throughout a day in camp. All tipping is personal, do what you think is right at the time. Our kids loved camp.

Thank you, helps a lot, I wasn't sure of protocol since I have never used the services. It will just be a 4 night cruise, but I do expect them to use the camp carnival at least a couple days and have no problem tipping extra for the services.

15% gratuity is automatically added for any night owl services. Normal day to day there is none, they are a different tier than other staff. Tip as you see fit, or not. Our next cruise will be the first time i will be using it myself as i am bringing my grandchildren with my daughter on their first cruise. :)

I stand corrected on the auto tips. I got that information from someone on this forum who either wasn't corrected or I missed it. I did a Google search and saw a job at from Oct 2015 for camp carnival staff. Salary $1400-1600 tax free per month with food, accommodation and health insurance.

about what i get after taxes from my main job. but no food, bed or insurance. but man, to be away from my grandkids and my daughter months at a time.. nope.. couldnt do it. even at my age lol.

Edited by jks336