Least favorite Carnival port of call

MaiTaiMary

I agree with you on the cruise line built ports but we don't stay in those areas. We walk directly thru and then you can start exploring the real place you visit. I haven't been to the new port in the DR but I loved LA Romana. Grand Turk and Mahogany Bay are beautiful once you pass the port areas

We think alike. We never stay in the cruise line built areas, but you are right, the areas outside can be lovely.

I'm going to say Belize hands down. It feels so incredibly unsafe and lawless outside the port.

I've never had an issue in Freeport, Nassau or Jamaica. I love all of them.

Costa Maya may not have a lot to do but it's beauty is untouched and spectacular. I adore Grand Cayman..we do the stingray excursion there each time and love it.

Nassau...we stay on the ship. Too much pressure from Natives there which doesnt make me feel very safe, plus the crime rate there is out of control!

And just think: They were dancing in the streets when they became independent. #wasbetterunderbritishrule?:confused:

Edited by clearwaters

I loved Costa Maya. Went to Maya chan beach and that was my favorite beach excursion ever.

We loved Costa Maya too. We went to Alma Plena Eco Resort.

Our least favorite is a toss up between Montego Bay and Belize.

Edited by DebJ14

Grand Turk. The beach is filthy! I wouldnt step foot in that water. Margaritaville is the ONLY reason to get off of the ship....

WOW! Wonder if you were there on a bad day. Each time we've visited, we've been able to see our feet.:D:D

We come from CT, where the water is brown, and gross. ( I won't step foot in it ):o

Whether at the free beach, right off the dock, or down at Jack's Shack, the water has always been crystal clear.

We LOVE this port.....:D:D

Grand Turk. The beach is filthy! I wouldnt step foot in that water. Margaritaville is the ONLY reason to get off of the ship....

Dude, you need to get out more. Grand Turk is gorgeous and Margaritaville is washed up chain restaurant, with mediocre $15 hamburgers.

for us the Dominican Republic was the scariest place, got off the ship and reboarded immediately

So, if we had to tally it up so far, Belize and Nassau DEFINITELY have the biggest ire of cruisers in the general Caribbean area!

Lucky for me, I already saw pictures and shore excursions of Belize and am already steering clear of that port because I don't think it is worth the time and money to cruise there. But as a first timer, I'm confident I could find something fun to do in Nassau, particularly Scuba Diving.

Nassau... we were just there and have no desire to ever go back.. filthy port, ship was swarmed with seagulls and the experience ashore was appalling... and the joke of a Straw Market... same cheap s*** in each stall and more desperate locals begging for attention

Nassau... we were just there and have no desire to ever go back.. filthy port, ship was swarmed with seagulls and the experience ashore was appalling... and the joke of a Straw Market... same cheap s*** in each stall and more desperate locals begging for attention

I think of Paradise Island near Nassau when Huntington Hartford owned PI. Black tie. The Ocean Club is still very nice.

Very interesting thread! I haven't been to the Bahamas but no longer anxious to go! Though, I had a great time ziplining in Belize and loved my full day excursion in La Romana so perhaps I am just easy (my husband says I am not:p)

Belize is the type of port that is really fun if you take an excursion' date=' but there is not a lot to do at the port area itself. So the people that like to explore on their own don't have a lot to do.[/quote']

I agree with this. We went to Golfs Cay and had a amazing day on a very tiny island out in the middle of nowhere. Best excursion I have ever taken. Snorkeling was amazing.

WOW! Wonder if you were there on a bad day. Each time we've visited, we've been able to see our feet.:D:D

We come from CT, where the water is brown, and gross. ( I won't step foot in it ):o

Whether at the free beach, right off the dock, or down at Jack's Shack, the water has always been crystal clear.

We LOVE this port.....:D:D

I would agree, certainly no where near the bottom of our list.

Private islands. Not a lay-on-the-beach kind of person.

I like actually experiencing other peoples and cultures. We thoroughly research ports and have found great things to do in all of them, even some that draw the most criticism like Nassau and Freeport. Also, we get away from the immediate port area as quickly as possible to see the "real" islands and not the lame ship-sponsored stores and US chain restaurants that have become far too prevalent.

haha.... this is funny.

Loved every port.

Loved Belize, yes it is a long ride, get over it.

Loved Jamaica.

Loved Cozumel, have been there over a dozen times on week-long vacations as well as from cruises. So much to do, so friendly, never gets old.

Loved Roatan, ditto.

worst experience for us was the Miami embark port and the rude people who got on our ship. May never go out from Miami again because of that alone.

Edited by ABQrobin

haha.... this is funny.

Loved Belize, yes it is a long ride, get over it.

For us, it wasn't just that it was a long ride, it was that the tender operators wait until the boat is nearly full. For us, when we went (after most people got off), it was nearly 45 minutes before they decided to go. We had sat down in the tender, realized we forgot something important after a while, went back to our room and got it, came back on the same tender and still waited 20 minutes. It was not worth it.