Always Available Items with new Curtis Stone Dishes

IECalCruiser

The Diamond never had an International Cafe.

That's one thing I'm curious to see when I board her next month. I remember being on the Coral before the IC was installed there, and the Lobby Bar had a few pastries and/or tea sandwiches available. But of course, this will be my first encounter with Curtis Stone, so I'm especially curious about that.

That's one thing I'm curious to see when I board her next month. I remember being on the Coral before the IC was installed there, and the Lobby Bar had a few pastries and/or tea sandwiches available. But of course, this will be my first encounter with Curtis Stone, so I'm especially curious about that.
We were on the Sapphire prior to the addition of the IC and the Lobby Bar had a tray of half sized pastries like those served in Sabatini's for breakfast. That was the same as at La Patisserie on the Island where there was also a tray or two of sandwiches, cookies and pastries that looked like the came from the afternoon tea.

There were little bite sized pastries (two trays) Danishes, apple turnovers, that sort of thing.

And at lunch two little trays of sandwiches.

When I say two trays, they had two trays out, but would keep topping them up.

If they weren't label as "Cutis Stone" I doubt you'd know that the items in the MDR were other than "normal" menu items.

I am yet to try Share, not in any hurry to actually. But am keen to try IC next cruise, never been on a ship with one yet.

Trident Grill was great lat cruise, with various extras laid out o add to your burger (salads, including beetroot:D, and condiments) and Meat Pies ripper.

There were little bite sized pastries (two trays) Danishes, apple turnovers, that sort of thing.

And at lunch two little trays of sandwiches.

When I say two trays, they had two trays out, but would keep topping them up.

If they weren't label as "Cutis Stone" I doubt you'd know that the items in the MDR were other than "normal" menu items.

I am yet to try Share, not in any hurry to actually. But am keen to try IC next cruise, never been on a ship with one yet.

Trident Grill was great lat cruise, with various extras laid out o add to your burger (salads, including beetroot:D, and condiments) and Meat Pies ripper.

I assumed wrongly that all the Princess fleet had an International Cafe. It's so wonderful I can't believe they don't. It's like the soft serve ice cream. I do hope that's still available on my next ship.

I assumed wrongly that all the Princess fleet had an International Cafe. It's so wonderful I can't believe they don't. It's like the soft serve ice cream. I do hope that's still available on my next ship.

I'm told soft serve isn't on some of the Australian based ships, but it was in Diamond, and I should know, I was on first name basis with the machine.

I'm told soft serve isn't on some of the Australian based ships, but it was in Diamond, and I should know, I was on first name basis with the machine.

That makes us very happy :) The Dawn had New Zealand Natural in place of the usual ice cream nook. We went up there just before sail away and were shocked to be confronted by a $5 a scoop, $10 a double sign. Let's hope it's just a franchise on a couple of ships. The experienced Princess travellers were avoiding it like the plague, refusing to buy and complaining loudly.

That makes us very happy :) The Dawn had New Zealand Natural in place of the usual ice cream nook. We went up there just before sail away and were shocked to be confronted by a $5 a scoop, $10 a double sign. Let's hope it's just a franchise on a couple of ships. The experienced Princess travellers were avoiding it like the plague, refusing to buy and complaining loudly.

Five bucks a scoops just crazy. But it would save me a few kg.

Edited by GUT2407

That's a little bit more than I pay for 2 scoops in a cup from Royal Copenhagen Ice Creamery in my home town. They have a selection from 24 different flavours-a core section, then others. I have my own favourites, and just choose from them-ALWAYS a chocolate selection. Generally rotate between Devil's Chocolate; Ferraro Rocher or Mint Chip. Haven't yet tried the Salted Caramel, might need to find some small change and try it next payday.

THANK YOU for the "heads up" about the ice cream costs. ISomeone else recommended I try New Zealand Natural if I ever got the chance, so shall add 3 servings to my budget calculations, 1 a day is a tasty way to have some calcium! :D

A faux celebrity chef.

touché! ;)

You are correct. The flank steak was tough! Didn't try the pork or the mahi mahi. How can that be classified as special? Nothing I would recommend.

Flank Steak is a cheap cut of beef that the Chef's are pushing but wouldn't eat themselves! :p

I haven't read all the way through this thread either. Just off of the Ruby last weekend and here were the always available Curtis Stone choices along with his comment about each one.

Roasted Beets and Quiona Salad with Grilled Chicken Breast

goat cheese, fennel and pecans

"The tarragon vinaigrette coats and clings to the grains of quinoa,

infusing them with plenty of tangy flavor. I also love the way

pecans interplay with the nuttiness of the grain."

Mac & Cheese

Gruyere, chedder, bacon

"With a cheesy crust and gooey center, I think that the combination

of chedder and Gruyere puts this mac & cheese over the top."

Grilled Flank Steak

potatoe, cauliflower, Camembert gratin

"The cauliflower gives the gratin a subtle layer of flavor while

Camembert makes it more luxurious. The simply grilled steak is

cooked to medium and sliced against the grain so it's super tender

and just melts in your mouth."

The Mac & Cheese was the only thing that Mrs. ar1950 considered ordering, but, there was always something better on the main menu. So we neither one ever tried any of the CS selections.

Thanks for the listing! By the way if you order anything that you don't like ~ you can send it back and order another Entrée. Then be sure to comment to the maître d' on the way out!

My wife and I watch a lot of cooking shows as she majored in foods in college. She comments that he is one of worst cooks on TV. Oh yeah, we are picky and will continue to be so. We loved Sabatini's.

Just Mike

I think the negative comments about Curtis Stone are very unfair, especially coming from those who have not yet tried the food. If you've tried it and didn't like it, that's another matter entirely. But to dismiss something new because you don't think you will like it is premature at best.

I'm bumping this up because the above was my comment. Now that I'm back from our Emerald sailing, I can speak with a better informed opinion. We ate in the MDR every night. The 3 Curtis Stone items on the MDR menu "sounded" good so I tried 2 of them. The mahi I did not try but I did have the pork tenderloin and the flank steak. Both of these were underwhelming. For example, the flank steak (which I like and often prepare at home) was cooked correctly. But the tastes and presentation got an "F" from me. It was a small pile of plain rice covered with a small layer of flavorless black beans, covered with 4 or 5 small slices of steak. It rather resembled spa food because the size of the meal was punishingly small compared to the Princess meals that our tablemates ordered. However it was accompanied by a schmear of a sauce (small portion again) that was amazingly lick-the-plate delicious. Rather incongrous, IMO. The food contained a small promise of future goodness, but definitely needed an overhaul. I actually fault the Princess kitchen for some of this debacle and think they are not committed to these foods nor are they properly trained in presentation. The plates were devoid of visual interest--something that is apparently a great sin in the world of celebrity chefs.

One day we were at the pool and a staff member came by asking people if they had tried SHARE (we had not) or intended to do so (we did not though we might have if we had not been sailing with a family group). It appeared that they were trying to drum up business for SHARE and it really piqued our interest. So one evening while we were having a drink in Adagio, we looked into the restaurant and noticed that it was only 1/3 full! And this was prime dinner time too! It seems to me that Princess overhyped this roll-out and are now trying to make up for that mistake.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

There are current threads about post drydock issues on the Coral including a post that the maître d' said replacing Sabatini's with SHARE was not done as planned because of it being poorly received by passengers on other ships. I have not had CS items on my cruises so I don't know if it's a preparation or menu issue...probably a combination of both.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I will get my chance to try CS next month on the Diamond (not SHARE) but I don't know if I can do it. Most sound kind of yucky.

We next sail the Crown (I know...AGAIN! ;)) in April & haven't heard about any CS courses in the MDR.

Change can be good but that's not always true & sometimes it takes awhile for changes to be accepted. However I've usually enjoyed Master Chef Alfred Marzi's creations which based on the posts I've read have been better received than the CS courses..

Looking forward to reading your objective thoughts about the CS courses.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I will get my chance to try CS next month on the Diamond (not SHARE) but I don't know if I can do it. Most sound kind of yucky.

The chicken pot pie, was at times good, but at first they seemed to forget to put the filling in, but to be fair the Steak and Kid at the Pub Lunch had the same priblem at times.

I'm bumping this up because the above was my comment. Now that I'm back from our Emerald sailing, I can speak with a better informed opinion. We ate in the MDR every night. The 3 Curtis Stone items on the MDR menu "sounded" good so I tried 2 of them. The mahi I did not try but I did have the pork tenderloin and the flank steak. Both of these were underwhelming. For example, the flank steak (which I like and often prepare at home) was cooked correctly. But the tastes and presentation got an "F" from me. It was a small pile of plain rice covered with a small layer of flavorless black beans, covered with 4 or 5 small slices of steak. It rather resembled spa food because the size of the meal was punishingly small compared to the Princess meals that our tablemates ordered. However it was accompanied by a schmear of a sauce (small portion again) that was amazingly lick-the-plate delicious. Rather incongrous, IMO. The food contained a small promise of future goodness, but definitely needed an overhaul. I actually fault the Princess kitchen for some of this debacle and think they are not committed to these foods nor are they properly trained in presentation. The plates were devoid of visual interest--something that is apparently a great sin in the world of celebrity chefs.

I was told by the executive chef in Share that they are aware of that and are trying to fix the problem......Hope they do, because it gives the SHARE restaurant a rather bad name.....I think that the restaurant is impressive.....but not the dishes served under that name in the MDR

Actually the flank steak wasn't to bad but the sauce they put on top of most of it made it disgusting. Next cruise I want a plate of just the flank steak & hold all the rest of the items but add a potato & some veggies & it'll be fine with me.

Edited by floridalover5623