What to wear

Seabiscuit66

This may sound obvious, but what should I wear to the beach? After getting off the ship and boarding a bus, shuttle, or taxi is beachwear appropriate? Is there a place to change and secure my belongings? Planning a Carnival cruise to Progreso and Cozumel in January. Thanks in advance.

Swim suit with either a cover-up or shorts/tee over it.

Few places have lockers, so only bring the barest minimum of stuff. Don't bring expensive electronics, unless someone can watch it while you take a dip. Bring a tote...you can put your stuff in it, and keep an eye on in when you get wet. If there is a man will swim trunks that have a velcoed pocket, credit cards, IDs, and even cash can get wet!

Be sure to dry off before getting a taxi back....they don't like it if you're wet! Doesn't take long for a swimsuit to dry on you!

Edited by cb at sea

Good sunscreen, apply liberally and often.

Please make sure that sunscreen is "reef friendly." For example:

Aubrey Organics Natural Sun Sunscreen, Sensitive Skin/Children, SPF 30+

Badger Sunscreen Cream, Unscented, SPF 30

UV Natural Sport Lip Sunscreen, SPF 30+

Badger Broad Spectrum Sport Facestick, SPF 35

ECO logical All Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30+

Elemental Herbs Sport Sunscreen, SPF 30+

Green Screen D Organic Sunscreen, Original, SPF 35

BurnOut Ocean Tested Physical Sunscreen, SPF 30

Raw Elements USA Eco Formula SPF 30

All Terrain KidSport

My husband just wears a shirt and his bathing trunks which look like shorts. I used to wear shorts and a top over my bathing suit. Now I have two swim shorts. These are bathing bottoms that look like shorts but have a lining like a man's bathing suit and are for swimming. I got the swim shorts at LLBean. I can wear a takarini (SP!) top so I am wearing a bathing suit off the ship. When we come out of the water we wrap in a towel and don't go right back to the ship. We can sit on our towels if we haven't walked to a beach in a cab or bus.

We don't take anything valuable off the ship. I take a throw a way camera, my husband puts the small amount of cash in his Velcro pocket and we leave everything in our beach bag on the beach. The only time we had a 'neighbor' watch our stuff was a beach in Jamaica.

Edited by Bonnie J.

I have a collection of oversize, to just above the knee t shirt cover ups I have bought in various islands. I bring a few on every cruise as good to hang around on the verandah or wear to the beach over my swimsuit.

The best thing that I can recommend is definitely bring some water shoes! Not all beaches are the same, but for example, when we went swimming at Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman a couple months ago, there was what felt like rocks all over the bottom of the ocean. It turns out it was actually washed up pieces of coral, but let me tell you, it hurt like heck without water shoes! Thankfully I had some with me to put on. You don't need anything expensive. Mine were just $5 Walmart water shoes. But I was so happy to have them.

Anyway, have fun on your cruise!