Reflection boarding experiences recently in Miami?

leisuretraveler223

I was on the December 5-12 cruise and probably got to the place where you drop your luggage at about 11:30 or so (I drove in and parked in the parking garage at the port so am estimating when I got to the actual luggage drop.) It was just a touch confused/busy there but took me maybe 5 minutes to find someone to take my bag, then walked back to the boarding line. Probably 10 minutes or so waiting in line to go in the building and through the metal detectors. Once through, I found essentially no lines to check in at the desks for either elite or concierge class (was going to choose the shortest one but neither had a line) so walked right to the desk and checked in then straight onto the ship. Was probably on board before noon.

In comparison to other cruises I've been on it was pretty painless. Just hope that nobody the week before you makes a bomb joke when disembarking--that guy was on my cruise apparently and caused a huge problem for embarkation on the 12th.

I was on the December 5-12 cruise and probably got to the place where you drop your luggage at about 11:30 or so (I drove in and parked in the parking garage at the port so am estimating when I got to the actual luggage drop.) It was just a touch confused/busy there but took me maybe 5 minutes to find someone to take my bag, then walked back to the boarding line. Probably 10 minutes or so waiting in line to go in the building and through the metal detectors. Once through, I found essentially no lines to check in at the desks for either elite or concierge class (was going to choose the shortest one but neither had a line) so walked right to the desk and checked in then straight onto the ship. Was probably on board before noon.

In comparison to other cruises I've been on it was pretty painless. Just hope that nobody the week before you makes a bomb joke when disembarking--that guy was on my cruise apparently and caused a huge problem for embarkation on the 12th.

What an idiot whomever made the bomb joke.

We too were on the 5-12 December cruise. We got to the port around 10:45am and were on the ship in about 15 minutes. There were no lines at our designated check-in (Aqua class) and the rest of the area was very empty at that time too.

This is the very first time that we ever arrived to the port this early and will definitely do so again in the future.

(Our cruise docs suggested boarding time starting at 11:30am, I believe).

On our last two cruises embarkation has been so easy, now getting back off....a nightmare! Queuing forever, not enough officers on....

I've been on over 20 cruises on different lines and each time it seems that there are never enough CBP officers to handle the number of disembarking passengers. When I worked at LAX, we would have up to 20 inspectors to work a flight with 350 persons on board. The last cruise I was on (Eclipse) which had over 2900 pax, there were only 2 inspectors which eventually was augmented to 4 inspectors. Granted most passengers get minimal attention, but having only 4 inspectors for 2900 pax is ridiculous.

Embarking in Miami - Easy, fast, painless

Disembarking in Miami - Can be quick or not so much. It all depends on how many Custom & Border Patrol agents are there! (Of course Celebrity has absolutely no control over this.) That number really does affect the experience.

Just hope that nobody the week before you makes a bomb joke when disembarking--that guy was on my cruise apparently and caused a huge problem for embarkation on the 12th.

We were on Dec-12 trip affected by 'threat' delay. I saw a cellphone pic of guy in handcuffs on sidewalk below ship.

We arrived at noon and waited 2hr 45mins before boarding. Standing in stationary line on concrete with only overhead walkway cover from sun. Elderly with canes, difficulties had minimal benches for relief. Few temp wheelchairs brought out to lines. Each cabin received $50 OBC for inconvenience.

Your cruise doc contains recommended arrival time. If you can get there 1:30-2pm you USUALLY are past peak crowds.

After 27 X cruises over 15 years, have only had such delays 3-4 times.

Another time was also entire port delay when FBI drug bust. Another when ship delayed boarding for extra 2 hours deep-cleaning for noro.

HAPPY CRUISING

We were on the Dec 5 reflection cruise. We boarded about 12:30. Both embarkation and debarkation were a breeze.

Our Dec-12 Reflection sailing had quick-easy debark too around 8:15am. There were two ship checkout spots funneling to 1 terminal ramp to Customs queue.

We used Delta luggage valet at $20pp fee (provided boarding pass and special tags to route checked bags to home domestic airport) Then $30 meter 15-min cab before tip to Delta at MIA.

Before 11am, MIA airport foodcourt kiosks had major beers at $7.50-8 a bottle :( but at 11am $9 20-oz drafts available ( trying to slowly detox from shipboard bev pkg ) :D

On our last two cruises embarkation has been so easy, now getting back off....a nightmare! Queuing forever, not enough officers on....

I've been on over 20 cruises on different lines and each time it seems that there are never enough CBP officers to handle the number of disembarking passengers. When I worked at LAX, we would have up to 20 inspectors to work a flight with 350 persons on board. The last cruise I was on (Eclipse) which had over 2900 pax, there were only 2 inspectors which eventually was augmented to 4 inspectors. Granted most passengers get minimal attention, but having only 4 inspectors for 2900 pax is ridiculous.

Yup. Could not agree with you more. I am absolutely doing the self option to get off the ship if I take another X cruise. See ya later with these multiple airline type luggage carousels, porters all over the place asking you a hundred times if you want to hire them, the long customs lines and late afternoon flights. I'm booking a 9 am return flight next time and simply walking off the ship at 6:30am or 7am, whatever that earliest option is.

We were also on the Dec. 12 cruise. As others have reported, boarding was a nightmare, but I'd rather Celebrity took every possible precaution than not.

Disembarking was painless. We used luggage valet so only had our carry-ons. DH uses a cane because he is still recovering from hip replacement surgery, so we breezed through the handicapped line at customs.

The biggest nightmare was at Miami airport, both arriving and departing. It seems we walked from one end of the terminal to the other to get to baggage claim. Returning, TSA lines were not clearly marked so we ended up in a line heading for Cuba! Fortunately we quickly discovered our mistake and were directed to the correct line.

Kathy

Got to remember that CBP has officers stationed at the port 24/7. When you have 6 ships landing there obviously are not enough officers to provide more than 4 max to any ship. If you are the only ship disembarking you get off quickly. Luck of the draw.

For boarding the general rule is arrive either very early - 10:30ish or late. Those wanting lunch on board tend to all arrive about 11:00am-noon. Again boarding can go really well or have issues like the stupid $^%$^ that made a bomb comment. Take those minutes as an opportunity to meet a few fellow passengers.