Do Alaska Port Side Vendors accept Major U.S. Credit Cards?

FunInTheSun9

We are sailing to Alaska (Vancouver to Seward and all ports in between) in May 2016, and will be booking excursions at most all of our Alaska port stops. Some will be booked through Celebrity, and others independently beforehand. I have read here that some posters recommend purchasing from vendors port side on the dock or nearby. Apparently all are licensed and offer acceptable services. I'm curious if anyone who has used tour operators independent from the ship and if you would agree that they are reputable, AND if you can advise if they accept credit cards (AMEX, VISA, etc.) - or if the transactions are all cash (or if there are further discounts for cash vs. credit).

Many thanks in advance.

I also agree booking in advance is the better choice. The supply of vendors in the ports is limited by the relatively small size of the towns, their isolation, and the number of ships that visit, straining supply. Recommended vendors get booked up. Anybody left over....well, you got to wonder why they are "left over".

I doubt you are going to "all ports in between", unless your cruise is 10 days or greater.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We are sailing to Alaska (Vancouver to Seward and all ports in between) in May 2016, and will be booking excursions at most all of our Alaska port stops. Some will be booked through Celebrity, and others independently beforehand. I have read here that some posters recommend purchasing from vendors port side on the dock or nearby. Apparently all are licensed and offer acceptable services. I'm curious if anyone who has used tour operators independent from the ship and if you would agree that they are reputable, AND if you can advise if they accept credit cards (AMEX, VISA, etc.) - or if the transactions are all cash (or if there are further discounts for cash vs. credit).

Many thanks in advance.

The recommendation is NOT to wait and book at the "port". First- the tours are very limited, compared to all the tours available. NO "all are NOT licensed" either. Just about every season, some new, unknown "vendor" shows up, with all not- giving good tours. Have been a few fraud issues in the past as well.

Your thinking is flawed, the "ship" excursions are not run by the ship. They are local vendor's which can also be booked independent. The ship is simply a booking agent, getting a LOT of revenue for this service. Far more valuable information is to KNOW the vendor you are considering for your tour of interest. Then finding out the details of those tour operators.

Yes, I have gone on a LOT of Alaska tours, hundreds, with a lot of repeats of my favorites.

Some vendors, accept credit cards, some vendors are cash only, some require prepayment, some have cancellation fees etc etc etc Each is different, again, you need to pick the tour first, then find out your information. Otherwise, expect to pay cash for walk up tours.

Edited by Budget Queen

Many thanks in advance.

Most will take credit cards, though not all will accept American Express cards.

We have gotten some nice excursions at the pier, but the more popular ones should be booked ahead of time.

We have used independent operators often, and have found them all to be reputable. Remember that AK is in the US and all US laws apply to all of them, so FWIW you have that assurance.

I agree with budget queen, and as I was an Alaska newbie last year, found myself looking into excursions.As budget queen notes, you can use the same vendors that the ship uses, but book with them directly. We did that, booked well in advance and saved a good bit of money. I kept monitoring prices after I booked and they continued to rise. Yes, I saw tour vendors at the piers, but for us, it was nice to know that we were doing exactly what we wanted to do, at the time we wanted to do it. We did, spontaneously, take the Mt. Roberts tramway and found it hard to believe that folks actually booked this as a ship's excursion. We just walked up to the ticket window, bought tix (with major cc) and that was it! Have a look at the descriptions of the ship's excursions, then google and you will likely find the vendor and can book directly. Doing so in advance, will then give you more time to enjoy in each port rather than spending time looking for a tour. Have a great cruise.

Thank you all for your kind and detailed advice. We are sailing for 15 days with a port stop nearly everyday, so I have a lot of research to do. Appreciated your feedback! I'll also read through the port of call excursion reviews here on CC to whittle down the options some before finding the vendors to book directly with. So great to have your input as a resource. Thanks much.

There are also. Few vendors that do not for for the ship at all....Coastal Helicopter tours in Valdez are just one example of some very reliable and solid groups that do not operate under a ship and therefore are a bit cheaper than the same tour taken as a ship excursion....do your research, and ask for information from the local visitor center. They are happy to send you info....

Alaska is very different than the Caribbean.

Definitely plan your excursions before you leave. Especially ones you really want to go on. There are some you can do at the last minute (Mount Roberts Tram, Mendenhall glacier) but others, book ahead of time.