Journey with Bill & Mary Ann on the Amsterdam's 2016 Grand World Voyage - 114 days +

WCB

theinsidecabin.com

I believe the above is the URL for Pete and Judy's blog, narrating their current experience on the Amsterdam World Voyage. It is outstanding. I highly recommend it!

The blog you asked about is cruisingwithbillandmaryann.blogspot.com

I believe the above is the URL for Pete and Judy's blog, narrating their current experience on the Amsterdam World Voyage. It is outstanding. I highly recommend it!

This blog is from 2014. Do you know if they are doing a blog (other than this thread on CC) for this year's World Cruise?

Sorry about that. I'm following both and obviously posted the wrong one but they are both Excellent. Thanks for catching it Windy56:)

I think that's the 2014 version of their blog. There are any entries after May 18, 2014.

This blog is from 2014. Do you know if they are doing a blog (other than this thread on CC) for this year's World Cruise?

No, I'm sorry but I don't know. They don't tend to respond to questions on their thread, either, so I don't know how you would find out. Maybe they will see this question about their blog and answer it.

I think that's the 2014 version of their blog. There are any entries after May 18, 2014.

Thanks so much! I think I remember reading something about sending the photos to his son to upload. They may not have started this years blog.

Cheers, Denise

Hi Bill & Mary Ann

Please allow me to thank you in advance, for the time and dedication you give to this CC Thread. Last year you gave a link to where you uploaded the photographs. Did I miss it?

Even during my own travels (sailing the Eurodam 1/10-1/24), I love to live through you.

Hadassah

Thanks again Windy for responding.

Charles

Report # 8 Sailing Towards Puerto Limon January 7, 2016 Thursday Partly cloudy 78 degrees

What an improvement in the weather today. The sun was out, and despite a few scattered clouds, we knew the day was going to be perfect. Not too hot yet, and definitely, not humid. We must enjoy it while it lasts, because the further south we travel, the warmer and stickier it will get.

We forgot to mention that in the blue bag we got last night, there were two room key card holders. These are convenient because you can carry your room card as well as your ID, which is required in most ports. Many passengers bring lanyards to wear the room card, but we choose to keep it in our pockets. It has been pointed out to us that some people wear the cards, especially if they are on deck seven. Instead of baby blue, the cards are beige, we think. Speaking of cards, ours should have been white for President’s Club, but they were blue. We just thought all the cards were the same now, but we found out from Barb, that it had been a mistake. She had gone to the front office to have hers changed to the correct color. So we did the same right after dinner. Not a problem. Back at the room, we tried them to make sure they both worked and they did. However, one of our names was incorrect, and that could be a problem if it does not match your ID and passport. So we had to go back this morning, and have it corrected. For some reason, both of our cards had to be re-done. Three times was the charm. Now we hope they never lose their magnetic properties, because we would hate to bother them again for new ones.

The very first wine tasting was held at 11am in the dining room, and we were invited. Usually we don’t attend, but the last time we did, we found it very informative and fun. Jacque, the Cellar Master, had surprised us with a good presentation….far from boring. To be clear, we are not wine drinkers, although will occasionally participate at our dinner table when an officer joins us. We don’t mind having the knowledge about the wines and the foods that compliment them. And naturally, the biggest reason for these tastings is to sell the wine packages. If we were interested, we could have saved 50% on the package we chose. As it was, we had a fun table with eight people…..two of whom we knew, Jack and Shirley from England. We ended up staying well past the end of the tasting, and into lunchtime at 12pm.

Three guest speakers are onboard now……George Stosur, possibly a geologist, Tom Goltz, a history buff, and Milt Keiles, a historian who lectured on pirates. Once again, we are not certain that these lectures are repeated on the room TV’s. Would be nice, because sometimes it is difficult to make it to the lounge during their talk times.

Today was basically gardening day. More flowering bulbs were planted, as well as dwarf sunflower seeds. Our window sill is now wall-to-wall pots. The sterilized bagged soil and the abundance of sunlight should do its trick. We have high hopes for spring blooms in a matter of weeks. We’ll keep you up to date with their progress.

This evening, the Captain’s Welcome Champagne Reception was held twice in the show lounge. Captain Mercer introduced his key officers and welcomed everyone onboard for yet another fabulous world voyage. Finger food and drinks were abundantly handed out. Oh yeah, it was also the first “gala” night. Most everyone dressed properly. We saw no casual dressers, although there was a mix of sport coats, suits, and still many tuxes worn by the gentlemen. And of course, the ladies always look great. Glad to see that this tradition has not bit the dust. This group is not ready to give it up yet.

Gala Dinner followed in the decorated dining room. Adorned with flags from all of the countries, it was festive and colorful. The waiters were dressed in their normal jackets, not ready yet for the themed evenings. They will happen eventually. The gala dinner menu was the abbreviated four-page folder with simple offerings. We had the shrimp appetizer, chicken soba noodle soup, salad, rack of lamb, and the cheese ravioli. All of it was quite tasty. And we did have company…….florists Eddie and Calista kept us company for 2 hours. They are nice kids, who have had the job of keeping the ship full of beautiful flower arrangements. Not only are they good florists, but they are accomplished artists. The bad thing for all of us, is that they have been too good, because they will be going to the new ship, the Koningsdam, next March. It’s an honor for them, and they deserve it.

The big highlight of the evening was the show, An Evening with the Finkels. We went right after 10pm to stay for a little while. Elliot is such a terrific pianist, we did not want to miss his performance. What we did not expect was that his brother, Ian, joined him on stage, playing the xylophone. Wow, could he play that instrument, dueling with his brother Elliot. For the first time ever, their dad, Fyvush, now 93 years old, slowly made his way center stage, took a seat, and continued the entertainment with jokes and singing. Accompanied by his boys, he gathered a standing ovation at the finale. So much for staying a few minutes. When it’s good, it’s great. Tonight was great.

Ah, the magic hour of midnight has come and gone, so it’s time to wrap it up. Perhaps we’ll sleep in a little later tomorrow, because that’s what vacations are all about, right???

Bill & Mary Ann