Live from the Queen Victoria world cruise (with a QM2 prelude)

rafinmd

Currently on board QV and no mention of change. But with both Celebrity and Princess dropping Bali I would not be too surprised if they did. We thought with a change in Command, Cunard would leave the decision up to the new Commodre, but all silent on Bali at this point. Someone with more knowledge than me may know more....cheers V

Thanks Roscoe for the compliment. Haha but I am sure you don't mean us old girls!:D

Have given you a title Roscoe, Lord Roscoe as you always seem to have a bevy of ladies around you at any time day or night!!!

I have no idea what you are referring to...I am a nice boy...:D

I have no idea what you are referring to...I am a nice boy...:D

We have just tied up in Darwin. It was an interesting 3 days sail form Airlee beach, it pretty well rained most of the time and it was horizontal which mean you couldn't even sit in the shelters around deck 9s pool as you still got wet.

We have an 80 % chance of rain today, but then it is the wet season..

Darwin appears pretty well a new city, it was bombed flat but he Japs in the second world war and then flattened again by cyclone tracey in 1976, so it is all new and look s very tropical from the ship. Its an easy walk so most of the ship is either walking about or doing the harbour cruise or the day trip to the Lichfield National park. I had looked into chartering a helicopter to Kakadu which is an amazing day out if anyone is looking for something special to do but alas we couldn't do it within our short visit today. We leave at 5.30.

Airlee beach was a really nice visit and I can recommend it for a days excursion, there were plenty of cafes and bars and shopping as well as the access to the reef. Ive updated my blog about it if anyone is interested.

Had a really good show by the cunard performers last night, and Mike Doyle gets off today He is a fantastic comedian and did an additional Q and A show yesterday with the ED. It was hilarious, 2 hours of the story of his life., glad I am not married to him, he sounds like quite a handful.

We are pretty confident that the ship will call at Bali., there was some question of it, quite a few lines have cancelled their visits there but Cunard considers the risks to be manageable so fingers crossed we are on our way , so another sector of the 2016 WC underway and it is still an amazing experience. Still not bored....who could be?

\

Roscoe

Edited by roscoe39

• 2 weeks later...

We join the QV for the last leg in Cape Town. We haven't been on Cunard since 2008 so looking for any information on how it has evolved in 8 years. This is our 10th wedding anniversary and really are looking forward to or longest ever cruise in style and elegance. Although we now live on Maui - where formal dress means nicer shorts and flip-flops - we made sure we kept enough formal wear for special occasions and especially cruises! I see there are 5 formal nights on the last leg - and they are all 'theme" nights. So the question is - how close to the themes should we get? My husband is fine in his tux and I plan to bring a mix of sparkly cocktail dresses and gowns. Does this sound about right?

Black and white ball - black and white gown - easiest by far.

Royal Ascot ball - can/should I get a fascinator in Cape Town? In Hawaii we use something similar with plumeria or other flowers. Can I just bring a fancy headpiece that represents our homeland?

masquerade ball - have Venetian masks to bring

Roaring twenties - do I need a drop waist flapper dress and a headband with feather?

Victoriana ball - not going to bring a victorian gown - would take and entire suitcase. Any suggestions?

Any other suggestions on what to bring or not bother with based on the world cruise so far?

Mahalo - see you soon

We join the QV for the last leg in Cape Town. We haven't been on Cunard since 2008 so looking for any information on how it has evolved in 8 years. This is our 10th wedding anniversary and really are looking forward to or longest ever cruise in style and elegance. Although we now live on Maui - where formal dress means nicer shorts and flip-flops - we made sure we kept enough formal wear for special occasions and especially cruises! I see there are 5 formal nights on the last leg - and they are all 'theme" nights. So the question is - how close to the themes should we get? My husband is fine in his tux and I plan to bring a mix of sparkly cocktail dresses and gowns. Does this sound about right?

Black and white ball - black and white gown - easiest by far.

Royal Ascot ball - can/should I get a fascinator in Cape Town? In Hawaii we use something similar with plumeria or other flowers. Can I just bring a fancy headpiece that represents our homeland?

masquerade ball - have Venetian masks to bring

Roaring twenties - do I need a drop waist flapper dress and a headband with feather?

Victoriana ball - not going to bring a victorian gown - would take and entire suitcase. Any suggestions?

Any other suggestions on what to bring or not bother with based on the world cruise so far?

Mahalo - see you soon

From my experience (which is admittedly limited), participation in the costume aspects of formal nights is certainly not mandatory. On a segment of world cruise we sailed, a handful of women --all friends--brought materials to make their own fascinators. They seemed to be enjoying that part of dressing up immensely. Others couldn't have care less and simply wore formal clothes. If you enjoy dressing in the style of a formal-costume, then you should join in wholeheartedly. If you don't want to be bothered, it shouldn't matter. :) Although the flapper dress does sound kind of fun, doesn't it?

Most importantly, have a wonderful voyage and congratulations on your ten year anniversary. What a wonderful way to celebrate!

From my experience (which is admittedly limited), participation in the costume aspects of formal nights is certainly not mandatory. On a segment of world cruise we sailed, a handful of women --all friends--brought materials to make their own fascinators. They seemed to be enjoying that part of dressing up immensely. Others couldn't have care less and simply wore formal clothes. If you enjoy dressing in the style of a formal-costume, then you should join in wholeheartedly. If you don't want to be bothered, it shouldn't matter. :) Although the flapper dress does sound kind of fun, doesn't it?

Most importantly, have a wonderful voyage and congratulations on your ten year anniversary. What a wonderful way to celebrate!

We were on the QE last year, first Cunard sailing for us. We did play with the whole theme night thing, but the participation isn't all that high (masquerade night was popular - they had masks available to buy). I wore a black feather boa (packed into a small size zip lock bag) that would have turned most black dresses into a 20s look. I think a "fascinator" from Maui would be great. Most people added their theme stuff after dinner. Only a few theme night outfits really worked for formal dinner attire (black and white was great and some wore or carried masks to dinner, etc.). We had fun with it, but probably wouldn't take as much another time. Your plans for formal are fine, but you may find the ship not quite as formal as in the past. We did enjoy watching the "parade" to dinner each evening.

We were on the QE last year, first Cunard sailing for us. We did play with the whole theme night thing, but the participation isn't all that high (masquerade night was popular - they had masks available to buy). I wore a black feather boa (packed into a small size zip lock bag) that would have turned most black dresses into a 20s look. I think a "fascinator" from Maui would be great. Most people added their theme stuff after dinner. Only a few theme night outfits really worked for formal dinner attire (black and white was great and some wore or carried masks to dinner, etc.). We had fun with it, but probably wouldn't take as much another time. Your plans for formal are fine, but you may find the ship not quite as formal as in the past. We did enjoy watching the "parade" to dinner each evening.

The boa is a great idea for the twenties night. I might also just see what I can find in Cape Town (arrive Tuesday so have a couple days). I have a beaded skirt that might work if I can find the right top......

On our previous Cunard cruises (all QMII) we really enjoyed getting the daily pass to the "thermal suite" - a place to decompress before dinner. Is that an option on the QV during the world cruise? Te number of passes were always limited so I would not be surprised if not practical on the world cruise - but want to be able to plan.

Thanks

Just finished catching up on your 'exit via' blog Roscoe. Many, many thanks for your efforts in keeping the anchored folks up to date.

THANKS I really appreciate it. I have updated to Hong Kong...sorry to everyone who thinks its an amazing place.....it was a bit disappointing to me...but tomorrow is singapore and the big world cruise dinner which we are all looking forward too. ship will have another big turnover. Im sure...

best regards Roscoe,

THANKS I really appreciate it. I have updated to Hong Kong...sorry to everyone who thinks its an amazing place.....it was a bit disappointing to me...but tomorrow is singapore and the big world cruise dinner which we are all looking forward too. ship will have another big turnover. Im sure...

best regards Roscoe,

Hi Roscoe been following your antics and adventures. :) Great read and thank you for all the effort you put into it all.

Just to wish you a fabulous evening at the World Cruise dinner. They are usually quite amazing so have a great time. Wish I was going to be there. Dress up to the hilt and have fun. X

Hi Roscoe been following your antics and adventures. :) Great read and thank you for all the effort you put into it all.

Just to wish you a fabulous evening at the World Cruise dinner. They are usually quite amazing so have a great time. Wish I was going to be there. Dress up to the hilt and have fun. X

Good morning Maggiemou.

Couldn't agree more about the value and occasion of the World Cruise Dinners. Indeed, I could not imagine anyone not wanting to attend such a prestigious occasion.

WE have also enjoyed so many of the 'Grills Special Social events,, one of particular note was on our visit to Hawaii and we had little idea of what was in store for us until we arrived at the Govenor’s House…

11779337174_1220f55fee_z.jpg

Crasslynne just off QV and with respect to formal nights we found good participation in the black and white balls, the majority wore black and white, Royal Ascot night very few wore hats or facinators, we chose not to wear ours seeing the low take up. Roaring 20's lots if feather boas, head bands, pearls. Hope that assists...cheers V:)

Crasslynne just off QV and with respect to formal nights we found good participation in the black and white balls, the majority wore black and white, Royal Ascot night very few wore hats or facinators, we chose not to wear ours seeing the low take up. Roaring 20's lots if feather boas, head bands, pearls. Hope that assists...cheers V:)

Good morning VRogers.

That is generally the routine for world segments. Remember that the majority are on a fly-cruise package and 'Hat Boxes' weren't really designed for air travel as opposed to feather boas etc which are easily packed.

Still great to hear the traditional nights were popular. It's what Cunard is all about.

Thanks Maggie., just did a blog on it. It was an amazing night. I had a terrific time...though I did get a little wet.

We have just left penang., had a great day though the weather is a little energy sapping, there was a big changeover and also another smaller one in singapore. The ship is literally singing in the South African brogue but the bars seem to be profiting from it. The next sector should be one of the more exciting.

regards Roscoe

Edited by roscoe39

Thanks Maggie., just did a blog on it. It was an amazing night. I had a terrific time...though I did get a little wet.

We have just left penang., had a great day though the weather is a little energy sapping, there was a big changeover and also another smaller one in singapore. The ship is literally singing in the South African brogue but the bars seem to be profiting from it. The next sector should be one of the more exciting.

regards Roscoe

Yes, Roscoe reading your wonderful blogs. I have tried to leave you feed back on Wordpress but it didn't appear. Really good and so wishing I was there to enjoy it all over again. We loved our world cruises and I am loving yours just as much. You make me smile with joy, and wow! That coat was just so amazing. Loved it! My husband likes colorful jackets that are different. Next time you are in Sydney visit Joe Bannanas shop in the Rocks. His jackets are stunning for cruises. Carry on cruising and blogging. Say Hi, to Julie from me. X

Yes, Roscoe reading your wonderful blogs. I have tried to leave you feed back on Wordpress but it didn't appear. Really good and so wishing I was there to enjoy it all over again. We loved our world cruises and I am loving yours just as much. You make me smile with joy, and wow! That coat was just so amazing. Loved it! My husband likes colorful jackets that are different. Next time you are in Sydney visit Joe Bannanas shop in the Rocks. His jackets are stunning for cruises. Carry on cruising and blogging. Say Hi, to Julie from me. X

Same here and enjoying every moment. Always great to read a good blog and fortunately there are a few excellent folk around.

It's always so much more informative to have photographs as well.

And you have a good point on jackets MaggieMou. Your husband I know has some real crackers. You can always tell a man's character by the jacket he will wear.

Same here and enjoying every moment. Always great to read a good blog and fortunately there are a few excellent folk around.

It's always so much more informative to have photographs as well.

And you have a good point on jackets MaggieMou. Your husband I know has some real crackers. You can always tell a man's character by the jacket he will wear.

That is very true and at least it gets you noticed for the right reasons. :D

Loved Roscoe's story of shopping with the Commodores wife. Can't beat having a good lady with you when it comes to shopping :) Looking forward to reading about Roscoe in Columbo, now that was the ride of my life when we were there in 2014. :)

• 2 weeks later...

regards Roscoe

well what can i tell you...im uploading pics and stories as fast as I can to my blog but the adventure is just getting more and more amazing. The world is a changing place and I am glad I have done this WC now. WhenI look at the differences in travelling now compared to even 2008 when I did the QV the first time and now there are so many places in the world we visited then and can not even contemplate now. The world is a' changing... All I can say is that if you are thinking of a WC...do it now.

We are just a few days from South Africa. Mauritius was great this time, I had visited it in 2012 and not enjoyed it , this time i had an entirely different experience and most people I spoke to enjoyed it as well. The two surprises were the Seychelles and also Reunion. The seychelles was a great day although I lost my camera there which was a bit devastating it did not take away form the fantastic people, the island, the scenery and the beaches. La Reunion, well...what can i say, the volcanoes and scenery were world class.

We have a huge turnover again in Capetown, the ship will change for the last sector, about 1000 or more are getting on and off....it will be a sad episode but there are lots of sea days so lots of time to relax from the vigour of the constant cocktail parties and port days.

Sales are apparently pretty heavy for 2018 already on board.....

Thanks to all those who have read my blog... the count today is 25,400 hits since the 10 January which is very flattering. thanks...

Roscoe

Good afternoon Roscoe.

I've just read your account of the visit to La Reunion Island and would like to thank you for your comprehensive breakdown on just what can be achieved there - even on Cunard excursions.

I mean to say, how many chances do you get a crack at such a beautiful place.

Thanks again.

PS. The last time I got close to it was on QE2 in November 2002. We were transmitting between Mauritius and Cape Town and the Captain diverted towards Reunion so that we could see the volcanic eruption at night.

I vowed then I would return and it's now scheduled- again with Cunard.

thanks Roy, the WC 2018 launch is tonight so who knows when our paths will cross again...

regards Roscoe

Well our last sector began yesterday to a delay in the port as the Capetown harbour had been closed by the harbourmaster. Fortunately the winds dropped a little and we were able to leave at around 8 to an announcement by the Commodore that anybody needing to do so should take their sea sickness medicine. The pursers office had stocked up.

Today we woke to some nice movement but nothing too bad so better safe than sorry. The suns out but I saw that the pools had been emptied which will frustrate the daily swimmers.

1200 got on and off yesterday, there seems to be a lot of sandals without socks in the dining room, last night at dinner it was noticeable and I still can't get it around my head why you would wear sandals and a suit. But hey ho.

I had my camera returned to me which I had lost in the Seychelles. Cunard really stood up to the plate, they organised for their port agent to pick it up and courier it to me in Capetown, it arrived 20 minutes before we left for the Aquila Game park. I know that people like to knock Cunard but they really went above and beyond the call to get my camera back. That was what i called white star service.

I was so happy i took over 500 pictures at the game park....god fear all of my friends for that slide evening..lol....

Just updated the blog if anyone is interested.

Roscoe