Live from the Queen Victoria world cruise (with a QM2 prelude)

rafinmd

We board February 12th in Honolulu and plan to write brief notes on here also. We go all the way to Southampton like Hobie. I do know that the fabulous world cruise dinner where they take everyone on the full voyage to a wonderful place for dinner, entertainment, dancing, etc. is going to be held at the beautiful Shangri La Hotel in Singapore.

We board February 12th in Honolulu and plan to write brief notes on here also. We go all the way to Southampton like Hobie. I do know that the fabulous world cruise dinner where they take everyone on the full voyage to a wonderful place for dinner, entertainment, dancing, etc. is going to be held at the beautiful Shangri La Hotel in Singapore.

Hi guys, Have managed to pretty well catchup on my blog covering our port days, so far the last couple of sea days have not had much to report on. Though I will add that the sector change and its subsequent passenger change has certainly changed the feel of the ship.

Its very much warmer, the pool is positively heaving with bodies, and its now a bit of a fight to make your way around the promenade deck with steamer chairs full of bodies and power walkers taking in the air.

We spent the day cruising passed Cuba yesterday. we were 9 miles off land at one point. On previous trips we were able to see cars driving along the road though binoculars but this year we were not close enough. After our day in Little Havana in Miami though it was nice to have that connection. One day I will make it onto land.

In the night, we turned around the bottom of the island, sailed passed Jamaica and tonight will will pass Haiti before berthing in Aruba.

We had a really good Liverpuddlean comedian, a scouser of the first degree. Looking forward to his next show. I personally wasn't impressed with the much lauded Jullian Lloyd Webber and the last straw is explained in my blog. Bill Miller….well what can you say, a more entertaining and knowledgeable performer you will not find this world cruise. He has pretty well set the benchmark for the other lecturers pretty high. I believe he is on the QE later this world cruise, they will have a great time being entertained by him.

The excitement of the fire alarm, the mal-functioning air-conditioning and the failure of the office computers all seem to have been dealt with efficiently by the crew who seem to be as hardworking as ever, the food as good as ever and the service in the bars and restaurants friendly and efficient, I think anyone embarking will have a fantastic time. I wont pass on my favourite bar because it is becoming too popular already but the two bar people make he best margarita around. Thats a pretty good recommendation in my book.

Though I hope your boarding time doesn't come along too fast…time is slipping by too quickly as it is… anyone who is looking forward to getting on during this world cruise is in for a great time.

I would have liked to listen to JLW perform on the QV as well as the RCT interview Q&A session.

Possibly, he is not everyone's 'cup-of-tea'.

Recently, I enjoyed his father's appearance on the TV "Late Show" (with Stephen Colbert). The father certainly has decades of exceptional talent. Wonder if this the first time JLW has performed on a cruise ship? Cunard booked a recognized-name performer for the first segment of the WC. Of course, most non-musical folk would likely think of his 'father-first'. Wonder if the father has ever been booked by Cunard? One thing's for certain.... Cunard books some great talent. A year ago we enjoyed the 'Crosby, Stills, & Nash' themed cruise aboard the QV. These guys were well received and are very good, each with their own interesting music history/abilities.

Reading Roscoe's separate blog, I'm curious why Cunard was paging JLW and a couple other passengers if it was not for locating straggling passengers to 'empty-out' the ship due to US shore customs. Who knows, maybe JLW was burdened down hauling off his instrument cases. Who knows? But if the delay happen, it likely perturbed some.

Shipboard, how many performances did JLW do? Maybe like the CS&N themed cruise, the passengers were ticketed for a specific JLW stage performance.

I would have liked to listen to JLW perform on the QV as well as the RCT interview Q&A session.

Recently, I enjoyed his father's appearance on the TV "Late Show" (with Stephen Colbert). The father certainly has decades of exceptional talent. Wonder if this the first time JLW has performed on a cruise ship? Cunard booked a recognized-name performer for the first segment of the WC. Of course, most non-musical folk would likely think of his 'father-first'. Wonder if the father has ever been booked by Cunard? One thing's for certain.... Cunard books some great talent. A year ago we enjoyed the 'Crosby, Stills, & Nash' themed cruise aboard the QV. These guys were well received and are very good, each with their own interesting music history/abilities.

Reading Roscoe's separate blog, I'm curious why Cunard was paging JLW and a couple other passengers if it was not for locating straggling passengers to 'empty-out' the ship due to US shore customs. Who knows, maybe JLW was burdened down hauling off his instrument cases. Who knows? But if the delay happen, it likely perturbed some.

Shipboard, how many performances did JLW do? Maybe like the CS&N themed cruise, the passengers were ticketed for a specific JLW stage performance.

JLW did not actually perform on QV (or on QM2 in October). In the Q&A session he indicated that he has taken that final step and sold his cello. His wife performed, accompanied by an excellent young performance. In the Q&A there were a number of video clips of JLW's playing but in the performance he served as commentator/host.

My sense is that any problems relating to the gangway were minimal. I disembarked at 8:15 and it was going smoothly. There may have been some later problems but there was ample opportunity for departing guests to disembark the ship.

Roy

Roy

I think you mean, the world famous composer - Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber, who is Julian's brother! William Lloyd Webber passed in 1982.

Roscoe.....

(Re the Panama Canal expansion)..... Inquire what the QV tour office says about when the QM2 will be passing through the new canal. Maybe WC 2018?

When that passage happens, it'll be an inaugural trip for the grand lady with mucho fanfare.

hi tom and carol, please don't hold your breath. Even with he expansion the QM2 will NOT be capable to fit through the canal. The clearance needed to fit under the Bridge of Americas and the new bridge being built due for completion in the next two years will preclude her doing the transit.

However you should want to do her in a real ship anyway, come on the QV!

regards

Roscoe.....

(Re the Panama Canal expansion)..... Inquire what the QV tour office says about when the QM2 will be passing through the new canal. Maybe WC 2018?

When that passage happens, it'll be an inaugural trip for the grand lady with mucho fanfare.

Just an aside to this. It's my understanding that even when it's complete that they will use both canals - is that correct? We had thought we'd take another Panama trip once they were complete, but would we actually know if a given ship would go thru the new locks? Anybody know?

Just an aside to this. It's my understanding that even when it's complete that they will use both canals - is that correct? We had thought we'd take another Panama trip once they were complete, but would we actually know if a given ship would go thru the new locks? Anybody know?

The only way to be sure to go through the new locks is to book a ship too big to fit the old ones. I thought QM2 was borderline on the bridges rather than plainly too tall, but there should be other ships where the canal size makes a difference.

Is today Cartegena? I'm wondering how the Segway tour was.

Roy

Roscoe....

Wow! I didn't think about the bridge clearances. Unfortunate that the QM2 would never be able to do the canal passage route.

I see the Q.Vic is doing the canal passage presently. It's a fascinating route; enjoyed it a year ago.

OK, Roscoe, here's your next investigative question. When ported and sailing outta SF, will your fav on-board bar be converted to a sports-bar to cover the Super Bowl? Hopefully, the game will be on the Winter Garden monitors...in lieu of soccer uncertain what season that's played?

BTW... your photo blogging is much appreciated, even when you stir up opposing posters who like to cut-&-paste their narrative. I was somewhat amazed to read what Roy wrote, that the fellow sold his cello.

Have fun; don't eat too much. How's the calorie intake progressing? You still walking laps and/or doing religious gym-time? Heaven forbid!

T&C

QM2 can fit under the bridge of the Americas. Its just that she's too tall to fit through without careful coordination with the Canal Authority regarding tides and schedule.

The Centennial Bridge is much taller; where's the new bridge going?

EDIT: The Atlantic Bridge will have over 40 feet more clearance than the Bridge of the Americas.

Edited by Underwatr

QM2 can fit under the bridge of the Americas. Its just that she's too tall to fit through without careful coordination with the Canal Authority regarding tides and schedule.

The Centennial Bridge is much taller; where's the new bridge going?

EDIT: The Atlantic Bridge will have over 40 feet more clearance than the Bridge of the Americas.

Information gleaned from the Panama Canal Lecturers we had leading up to the transit and the Panamanian Pilot who found time to talk about it on his talk as we progressed through the canal. I would have thought he might have known but perhaps he is mistaken and you are correct. I am only going by what the experts told us.

regards Roscoe

Following previous discussions regarding the canal expansion and the question of QM2's eventual ability to transit the canal I became familiar with the Panama Canal vessel regulations.

The allowable height for any vessel transiting the Canal or entering the Port of

Balboa at any state of the tide is 190 feet (57.91 m) measured from the waterline

to its highest point. With prior permission from the Transit Operations Division

Executive Manager, height may be permitted to 205 feet (62.5 m) on a

case-by-case basis, with passage at low water (MLWS) at Balboa. Maximum

Height Restrictions are due to the tide and the unpredictable upward movement

of water from swells, surges, waves, etc., and maintenance equipment

suspended beneath the bridge at Balboa.

The actual height of QM2 has to be inferred from published data regarding draft (varies with water salinity and ship loading but published in Cunard's information sheet at 32 feet 8 inches (10 meters) ) and max height above the keel (published in the information sheet as 236 feet 2 inches (72 meters) ) and so it appears that a reasonable number for her height above the waterline is 203 feet 6 inches which exceeds the listed unrestricted height but is within the height that may be allowed on a case-by-case basis.

This is what I've been able to glean but I haven't spoken to anyone whose job is to know the answer (I'd argue that a lecturer is not necessarily someone who is expected to know).

Edited by Underwatr

It occurs to me, a mere layman, that if margins are so tight that the chances of QM2 being scheduled for a passage through the Panama Canal are at best extremely unlikely.

Given the considerable forward planning needed for the annual schedules, the unpredictability of sea conditions as stated and the drastic consequences to the immediate schedule should the ship get "stuck" either side of the bridge on the day, the risk seems too great to contemplate as it stands.

If it ever were to occur I believe it would be many years in planning and unlikely immediately on the opening of the new facility.

M-AR

hi tom and carol, please don't hold your breath. Even with he expansion the QM2 will NOT be capable to fit through the canal. The clearance needed to fit under the Bridge of Americas and the new bridge being built due for completion in the next two years will preclude her doing the transit.

However you should want to do her in a real ship anyway, come on the QV!

regards

Hi Roscoe. ..really enjoyed reading your blog on the Panama Canal and Colombia too. 2 more places to add to my ever growing wish list! You certainly have a gift of writing very informative and enjoyable descriptions of places you visit and life on QV.....look forward to meeting you when I join the ship in Hong Kong. Sandra.

Hi Roscoe. ..really enjoyed reading your blog on the Panama Canal and Colombia too. 2 more places to add to my ever growing wish list! You certainly have a gift of writing very informative and enjoyable descriptions of places you visit and life on QV.....look forward to meeting you when I join the ship in Hong Kong. Sandra.

thanks sandra very much appreciated.....

I was speaking with someone from Cunard the other week and was told QM2 won't likely be going through the Panama Canal even with the new bridge.

This was confirmed when we transited the canal, by the on board narrator.

I was speaking with someone from Cunard the other week and was told QM2 won't likely be going through the Panama Canal even with the new bridge.

I wonder if the cost of going through the new canal is high for a ship like QM2?

I wonder if the cost of going through the new canal is high for a ship like QM2?

HI GUYS., Sorry I know I intended to keep the blog alive on here but the internet has been a bit fuzzy as we were at sea. WE are now berthed at LA under a beautiful californian sky. Immigration is on going as we speak with only people going on cunard excursions allowed to proceed to the ball room for the interview, then it will be disembarking passengers and then us independents.

Again, they haven't made it easy and you would think that America didn't want us tourists here.

The ship is running beautifully, we saw lots of whale spouts and dolphins coming up the coast, there has been reasonably good entertainment with only the odd comedian living in Florida that was a complete failure. I understand he is on again tonight....I might be washing my hair.

The new show Hollywood is great, and I believe the other new show is pretty good too. I dont think anyone is upset to see the back of victoriana.

The food has been great, we have Claus cooking onboard, he has been with Cunard for 28 years and is very personable. No complaints about the food but I am going to complain to housekeeping about the dry-cleaning because all of my clothes seem to be shrinking but only around the waistline. (sorry,...its an old joke but still a goodie)

Been a couple of nice changes about the ship, she only gets better with age. There is a big crew change over in SF, about 200 I think so some of these guys will get a much needed rest. The passenger changeover between LA and SF is about 900.

One change that I have noticed that isn't brilliant , there are now tvs in the Wintergarden. They seem to show the sports on there and unfortunately everytime you walk through there there is the roar of a crowd and a bored commentator commentating on some game or other. It spoils the ambiance somewhat in my opinion and I know some people have complained about it. But the room certainly benefited from the lovely new furniture they put in there in the refit, as well as the lovely loungers around the pool.

The sports director is Vetor, he's from Portugal...honestly guys you have no idea what he's like...hes fantastic and the girls love him....very easy on the eye.

Anyone boarding this trip should have a great time to look forward to.

She's deifnatley the best ship in the fleet with the best crew.

Best regards...

Roscoe

PS.

Blog uptodated for anyone interested with LA and Sf to be added in next few days. Thanks to everyone who has commented on the blog and also emailed me, sorry I haven't been able to reply to all. You know what the internet is like here!

Edited by roscoe39

The QV docked in LA early this morning; it is a beautiful bright day and promising a temperature of over 70 degrees.

It is now 26 days since we left Southampton, and it is a sad parting after a wonderful voyage. We have encountered ALL weathers, but at all times the ship has been stable and comfortable. A Segway tour with 3 other passengers arranged independently was a hoot! The highlight of course, was the transit of the Panama Canal. Since being in the Pacific Ocean, dozens of dolphins have been spotted, giant turtles and whales. I was slightly doubtful if Guatemala was going to be a memorable stop, but how wrong I was. The trip to a coffee plantation and The U.N.E.S.C.O heritage town of Antigua, was fascinating. The people are so welcoming, and they certainly need tourists to help lift the standard of living for the majority.

I think it is fair to say the vast majority of the passengers have enjoyed their time on board, and we have met so many who say that QV is their favourite Cunard ship and I have to concur. There have been the odd professional whingers , one lady in particular earned herself a not very complimentary nickname! Throughout, the food has been exceptional when you think this is mass catering. We were on the upper floor on the Britannia restaurant and the 2 young ladies who were our servers, could not have been more efficient and charming.

I cannot comment too much on the entertainment as we are not great theatre goers, but did enjoy a few shows. The speakers have ranged from very interesting and polished to what was rather droll. An evening with Julian Lloyd Webber was superb, and John Macarthey's memories of his capture and being hostage in Beirut some 30 years, had the audience spellbound.

As of now we have the US customs on board, and as I sit here in our room, I know it is absolute chaos downstairs trying to get entry to the Queens room. It is obvious that there are those who take no heed to the arrangements/times to make this process run more smoothly.

We have some time in LA, but without doubt we will be looking to book a couple of segments on the QV 2017 World Voyage, and hopefully a Cunard cruise or 2 before then!

Sent from my iPad

PS. Just seen Roscoe has posted so sorry if any of this is duplicated.

Lovely meeting you Roscoe, and enjoy yourself for the next 70 days or so. I am sure that will not be too difficult.

Edited by LadyL1