Live from the Queen Victoria world cruise (with a QM2 prelude)

rafinmd

I shall miss your posts Roscoe, they've had me in stitches!! Enjoy the last bit of your WC [emoji41]

Thanks from me as well, Roscoe. Fortunately of unfortunately, we won't meet in 2018. It will be my first full WC but on Crystal.

Roy

Roscoe

I know I know, I have been a little lax in keeping up the thread. Thanks to all of the others who have been helping to do so, especially King George.

Today we just sailed around ascension Island. Man what a spot in the middle of the ocean we have one of the islanders come on board to do a commentary as we progressed and I learnt a lot about an island that I had never heard of before. It has figured in recent world history more than you would think.

Some of the Islanders came on board while we went around the island and set up stalls in the Ballroom. Unfortunately the tee shirts had gone by the time I had got there but there are a few proud cunarders sporting them now.

I will try and get the photos uploaded today.

Its an interesting sensation now to be in the last downward stretch. After nearly four months it is hard to try and think of the next part of the trip for all of us. Our World Cruise concierge Juliana is swamped with requests to arrange transport and various other travel arrangements. The travel desk downstairs also seems to have a line up with people arranging last minute excursions etc.

IM heading off to Belfast when we are off the ship, Im off to the Titanic Museum. I know Im nuts.

Not nuts Roscoe, just very adventurous and love life so and grab it when you can. A good way to live!

Enjoy the rest of your WV. I felt cruised out after my last WV but never say never.

May well be on 2018 but not the full voyage. Four times in a row proved enough for me but still love to do segments. 2018 a big birthday for me so I will be there for sure. Thanks for your time and effort you put into your blogs.

It ain't over yet! Fat lady still not singing so "carry on cruising " Roscoe style. :)

Just had a fab day out with my dear friend Dennie Farmer ( QE's Godmother) love her to bits, and we did the rounds here in Cyprus, my home port doing QM2 proud.

Cheers to Cunard.

position today places us just level with Sierra Leone, currently we are in the Doldrums, in more than one way, we have covered 424 miles in the last 24 hours so those of you waiting for us to arrive so that you can board for the next voyage...we are on our way.

Big party tonight, the World Club parties for Gold Platinum and Diamond are huge now, they do have two of them one at 7.45 pm and 5.45pm but because of the number on board now in those numbers the ball room can be a little busy but its still a good night and an opportunity to mix with and learn more from the officers and other passengers.

Yesterdays call to Ascension was fantastic. Although some had queried the use of a cruise by rather than an actual call it proved itself to be an interesting voyage around an island few of us will ever get the opportunity to sever see again.

ships running beautifully, they are furiously do small mainentance things around the ship, the decking along deck three has been sanded, the small surface rust spots touched up and shes looking ship shape for the rest of the year. Ill be sad to leave her, even after 4 months. Happy to stay onboard for another if I can find a sponsor.....Maggie?

Been home for a week from the Hong Kong to Cape Town sector. I only had chance to meet you briefly Roscoe. ..

I had a wonderful time and it's hard to imagine ship life still carrying on now I am back to reality! I have enjoyed reading your blog for the period I was on board and it was interesting to look at it from a different angle.

Enjoy the rest of your epic journey. Your blog has made fascinating reading. Regards. Sandra 😊

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Been home for a week from the Hong Kong to Cape Town sector. I only had chance to meet you briefly Roscoe. ..

I had a wonderful time and it's hard to imagine ship life still carrying on now I am back to reality! I have enjoyed reading your blog for the period I was on board and it was interesting to look at it from a different angle.

Enjoy the rest of your epic journey. Your blog has made fascinating reading. Regards. Sandra 😊

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

thanks Sandra much appreciated it was great meeting you too. Thanks also to everyone else who read the blog count today was 30,000 hits since 10 January.

regards Roscoe

Hello Roscoe

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful travelogue.

I am wondering what your thoughts are regarding the changes which will be made on the Queen Victoria with the addition of new cabins and most especially the removal of the Chart Room in favor of a new Britannia Club dining room. (A horrible move in my opinion.)

Thank you.

Deck Chair

Hello Roscoe

I am wondering what your thoughts are regarding the changes which will be made on the Queen Victoria with the addition of new cabins and most especially the removal of the Chart Room in favor of a new Britannia Club dining room. (A horrible move in my opinion.)

Thank you.

Deck Chair

May I second that and MaggieMou's earlier comments.

Roscoe's efforts are head and shoulders above what one reads elsewhere.

BZ.

Hello Roscoe

Thank you.

Deck Chair

Hi., thanks for the compliment.

As to what they are going to do to "our" ship, I can tell you that David Noyes promised us at the World Cruise Dinner this year that they would not be removing the chart room now. He indicated that they had received a lot of feedback regarding the issue and wanted us to know that they had listened. I know for a fact, because I was one of many that had a chat with him over the issue and that it was a hot topic when he hosted several groups of us that day was an understatement.

As to what they are doing with regards to "flattening" off the stern of the ship AKA the Queen Elizabeth, that we have lost that fight. The cabins are already being built in readiness to be put onto the ship.

No one I have spoken to on or off the ship is happy about that. I think it is a big mistake as the QE is not pretty because of it and at least the QV has a modicum of stay because of her tapered stern.

I believe it will add some 60 persons to the ships capacity and that the reason for putting them on is revenue gathering.

They may lose 60 who might have traveled on her in my opinion.

I still say that having all of the ships in the fleet different enhances the brand. There are different markets for each because of each ships different looks and experiences. Im not interested in having a generic experience.

He shared other "enhancements" they intended to do at refitting, new carpets, tea and coffee facilities in the staterooms, and the addition of the brittania club restaurant. There are a couple of good proposals where I think that will go, in under utilised spaces. I think that is going to be a good change.

We wil have to wait and see what the travelling public think when she is returned to us after the refit.

Its getting cooler out there., Ive been sleeping with the ranch sliders open (shhhhh dont tell anyone) and its very pleasant to lie awake with the sound of the water rushing passed but if it gets any colder I wont be able to do that...and an indication that the UK and spring is approaching...

damn...

Hi., thanks for the compliment.

As to what they are going to do to "our" ship, I can tell you that David Noyes promised us at the World Cruise Dinner this year that they would not be removing the chart room now. He indicated that they had received a lot of feedback regarding the issue and wanted us to know that they had listened. I know for a fact, because I was one of many that had a chat with him over the issue and that it was a hot topic when he hosted several groups of us that day was an understatement.

That's good to know, thanks for the confirmation.

Hopefully they can find a sensible place for the Britannia Club restaurant.

As one of the 31,000 silent followers of your excellent blog, thank you for taking us along on your World Cruise....your writing is delightful, funny and insightful....and beautifully written. Thank you!

Hello Roscoe

Thank you for your response and for the good news regarding the Chart Room.

If Cunard is looking for space for a Britannia Club dining room why not just carve out room out of the existing dining room as they did on the Queen Mary?

Deck Chair

Enjoy your final days on the QV Roscoe. We'll miss your blog. It was a pleasure meeting you. It seems a lifetime since we disembarked in LA but you've kept the rest of the cruise alive for us. Vera and Mike x

It seems so long ago that Roscoe surprised us with a pavlova at the meet and greet. I have enjoyed reading your blog and I have felt at times I am still on QV. Thanks Roscoe, enjoy the rest of your adventure and it was great to meet you. Cheryle

PS Just for one day walk the way Cunard want you to walk around the deck!:D

Roscoe

Have loved reading your blogs, they are excellent as you seem to have so much fun. You have had some wonderful times (and worrying with the camera loss). It seems you are enjoying Raul's company in PG as we much as we always have.

We will be joining the QV in September but will sadly be missing out on Raul's company as we will have Sandro as our Maitre D' instead. I miss our little chats with Raul about all sort of things. I attach a picture of us with him (and Mihaela our Head Waiter) on a Baltic voyage on our last night.

Enjoy the remainder of your voyage.

PS. We are returning from a short hop on the Celebrity Eclipse on 10 May when the 3 Queens return from their WVs and will apparently be moored next to the QV at either City or Mayflower terminal. We have 2 cabins next to each other with the in laws and are cheekily taking our Cunard umbrellas and will be waving them from the Eclipse, so if you see us take a photo and post it on this board. If our deck 10 cabins aren't on the side looking out to sea, we will try and get onto the open decks with them, so look out for us.

Lynne and Mark

DSC04535.jpg.257368e5075f7eb28e0f37c90f30d275.jpg

Edited by Lynnewob

Roscoe,what a joy it has been to read your blog. I feel as though I have been round the world with you. It is by far the best blog that I have read. You have obviously had a fantastic fun time and enjoyed every minute. Enjoy the last few days and keep blogging.

Val

[COLOR="black"]ships running beautifully, they are furiously do small mainentance things around the ship, the decking along deck three has been sanded, the small surface rust spots touched up and shes looking ship shape for the rest of the year. Ill be sad to leave her, even after 4 months. Happy to stay onboard for another if I can find a sponsor.....Maggie?

[/color]

Ha ha! Roscoe if only, I wish. Another four months I would need a sponsor as well :) I will not be doing another world cruise for a some time as I felt really cruised out after we did four in as many years. We are back to doing segments or a month at sea and a few weeks on shore in some far flung place. However, if I ever get to do another I will make sure we do the same as we could compete in the dress stakes and the hair do's.:) Not to mention the shoes of course.;) Carry on cruising and a big thank you again for your fun blog. So pleased you got the most out off such a fantastic experience. Maggie x

Brutal, The end of the voyage that is. Surely for you and definitely for us.

Thank you so much for taking us along on your voyage. Your blogs were just the right length, the perfect mix of self and selflessness, and somehow reflected the hi's and lo's which are reliable companions on any long trip. I'm sure the Line, the officer's and crew were sad to see you go.

Here's to your next trip!