Live from the Queen Victoria world cruise (with a QM2 prelude)

rafinmd

Thank you LadyL1. The more depth we have in this thread the better.

The Crystal Symphony is in Rio. QV is at sea from Brussels to Southampton. QM2 is at sea from Tortola, BVI to Brooklyn, one sleep until I board..

Up at 5, I left the hotel just before 7 to get away from Brooklyn’s skyline. Fort Green park is about a half mile east of the hotel. The park slopes up to the east with some tall apartment buildings further east and I first saw the sun about 25 minutes past the official sunrise. There was not really much of a sunrise but behind me the Freedom tower in lower Manhattan was shimmering quite nicely in the early morning light. The main feature of the park is a tall column erected as a monument to 11,500 martyrs, Revolutionary War Soldiers who died on British prison ships anchored in the harbor.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/dawn0102.jpg

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/freedom.jpg

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/martyrmonument.jpg

Later in the morning I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan and down to the South Seaport, pretty much under reconstruction. It was quite an invigorating walk as the temperature had turned quite crisp, just a little above freezing. It was a short ride back to the hotel from the Fulton Street Subway station. There was a very nice tree just outside the seaport.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/seaporttree.jpg

I returned to the hotel for lunch. The New York Transit Museum is a no longer used subway station about 4 blocks south of the hotel. Am exhibit placed in the station for the 1976 bicentennial proved very popular and became permanent. Tracks 2 levels below the street are now packed with a century’s worth of retired subway equipment including a pump car used to remove water from tunnels after flooding (the unit’s 2000gpm pump is now replaced with a new 5000gpm pump car), and a car from the early days with wooden sides. It was soon deemed unsafe for the tunnels but continued in service for many years on elevated lines.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/woodie1.jpg

The upper level (one floor below the street) had displays related to bus and trolley service and fare collection equipment and turnstiles. Finally there was an exhibit on New York Transit’s response to emergencies. While the most serious emergency faced by the system in many years was 9-11, I was most struck by Superstorm Sandy as I was in New York at the time preparing to board the Crystal Symphony. One of the big takeaways was that they learned from experience the importance of advance preparation, including orderly shutdowns I was extremely surprised by the popularity of the museum. There was quite a line as I arrived a little after 2 and when I left about 3:30 (90 minutes before closing) the line was so long that security held it up on the street to keep the line from spilling out onto the stairs.

Today’s parting shot is inspired by the Transit Museum which was a strong reminder of the consequences of disasters. May the flooding in the Mississippi basin soon start to recede.

Roy

Thanks, Roy, for doing this review. We met on Grandeur last year at the Meet and Mingle. Best wishes for a great trip and I will be following. I had considered the 1/3 and 1/10 transatlantics but changed my mind. Good thing since my husband has developed a knee issue and needs my help right now. Again, enjoy your trip! Katherine

Thank you khatrav, Moonrakery, elmsliebev, Lady Hudson, Hobie and especially scrapnana. I haven’t seen the images yet from my e.mail digest but I assume they are from the NY webcam(ypu-nice). I hope you were clued in on our departure time; I had assumed it would be the normal 5PM.

The Crystal Symphony is in Rio. QV is in Southampton.

Up at 5, I took advantage of my last opportunity to enjoy a bath tub until at least Miami. My morning walk took me first to Cadman Plaza Park where I had hoped to find some clear space for sunrise but there was a total coverage of tall buildings obstructing my view. As I neared the east end of the park a sign pointed to the Brooklyn Bridge. The bridge walkway was uncrowded and the buildings of Manhattan were glowing from the impending sunrise. About 15 minutes after sunrise I got my first view of the sun (although I think it was actually a reflection in building windows).

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/thebridge.jpg

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/dawn0103.jpg

I returned to the Marriott and took care of some last minute internet affairs and final repacking. I checked out of the hotel about 10:30 and started the 10-minute walk to First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn. I had been there before my October crossing but I think at the time the (Interim) Pastor had been on vacation. After our Communion service I returned to the Marriott and picked up my bags and walked the 2 blocks to the B61 bus stop. A couple of stops later 2 more QM2 passengers boarded.

Our driver insisted that our stop was at the vehicle entrance to the cruise terminal. We didn’t argue thinking the passage from Bowne street may have been closed, and ended up walking 0.7 miles to the ship instead of the expected 0.2. We walked most of the way together and did confirm that most of our walk was unnecessary as the gate to Bowne Street was open as usual. My winter coat was bulky and awkward to use with a backpack. I took it off just outside the terminal and put it in my smaller daypack. I had a collapsible pack that hadn’t yet used and put my laptop and meds in that and checked the main backpack and small one with my coat with the porters.

My “official” boarding time was noon but it was about 1:30 when I arrived at the terminal. Checkin was a breeze, and I was onboard by 1:40. As I walked up the stairs to deck 5, I noticed one of my White Star bags at the landing. It was delivered just a couple minutes later. Tatiana, my stewardess, introduced herself about 2 and inquired about my luggage. I told her I was expecting 3 more bags and she promised to follow up. As I went up to Kings Court for lunch the second White Star bag was at the stairway landing.

I learned a bit about cell phone service in Kings Court. My brother had called while I was in church and I called back from Kings Court. We had spotty service in Kings Court and I thought it might be better from the Promenade deck. It might have been but somewhere between my table and the open deck the connection dropped completely. From the Promenade deck I also got my first live view of Anthem of the Seas in Bayonne, which I will sail in June.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/allmystuff.jpg

When I returned from lunch all of my bags had arrived. Between my winter crossings and continuing to Antarctica I am carrying a lot of stuff. I spent the rest of the afternoon unpacking. Muster was at 5, and my station was in Winter Garden. I had assumed we would leave soon after muster and went up to the Pavilion Pool for a protected vantage for sailaway. By 6 I concluded we were not about to leave and headed down to dinner.

I am at table 84, a port side 8-top. Everybody is a solo, 4 men and 4 women. We are about evenly divided between the UK and the US, although 1 lady now lives in Toronto. We are quite a diverse group in terms of itineraries, one just flew in from Britain for the Crossing, 2 are doing the entire Queen Elizabeth World Cruise and some are returning home after extended US visits. I am the only one going on to Queen Victoria. None of my tablemates is returning on QM2, although the couple I met on the bus are. I think this will be a very pleasant table. In the conversation, I learned that we weren’t due to leave until 9. That was actually in the Daily Programme, although I had only looked in the expected 5-7 time slots.

There was a Welcome Aboard show at 7:45. I skipped it and started working on my computer while listening on Channel 40. Captain Christopher Wells came on about 9:15 and indicated everything was ready for out departure. By the time I bundled up and headed up to the Pavilion Pool there was a wide patch of water between us and the terminal. It was cold and windy on Deck 12 and I spent most of my time inside the Pavilion Pool, going outside only at the critical points. After we passed under the Verizzano Bridge about 10, I stopped briefly at the Commodore Club and called it a night.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/verizzano.jpg

Timely posting for the day of a QM2 embarkation is always a challenge. Since it is now so late I will cheat a bit on the parting shot. It is now well into Monday morning. While the official temperature is 43, with the breeze it feels a lot colder. I have always felt that Queen Mary 2 had the best promenade deck at sea. On any other ship I’m quite sure that today I would have either cancelled or shortened my walk. QM2's Promenade Deck has enough protection that on this ship I never in my 5 miles felt like I don’t want to go on. I may cancel or shorten some walks later in the cruise but not today. Mr Payne, you designed a really unique ship. Thank you.

Roy

Hi Roy. A slightly late Bon voyage from me! Always enjoy your blogs and this itinerary (or itineraries ) look fantastic! Enjoy!!

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by rgaudet

Thank you khatrav, Moonrakery, elmsliebev, Lady Hudson, Hobie and especially scrapnana. I haven’t seen the images yet from my e.mail digest but I assume they are from the NY webcam(ypu-nice). I hope you were clued in on our departure time; I had assumed it would be the normal 5PM.

The Crystal Symphony is in Rio. QV is in Southampton.

Up at 5, I took advantage of my last opportunity to enjoy a bath tub until at least Miami. My morning walk took me first to Cadman Plaza Park where I had hoped to find some clear space for sunrise but there was a total coverage of tall buildings obstructing my view. As I neared the east end of the park a sign pointed to the Brooklyn Bridge. The bridge walkway was uncrowded and the buildings of Manhattan were glowing from the impending sunrise. About 15 minutes after sunrise I got my first view of the sun (although I think it was actually a reflection in building windows).

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/thebridge.jpg

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/dawn0103.jpg

I returned to the Marriott and took care of some last minute internet affairs and final repacking. I checked out of the hotel about 10:30 and started the 10-minute walk to First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn. I had been there before my October crossing but I think at the time the (Interim) Pastor had been on vacation. After our Communion service I returned to the Marriott and picked up my bags and walked the 2 blocks to the B61 bus stop. A couple of stops later 2 more QM2 passengers boarded.

Our driver insisted that our stop was at the vehicle entrance to the cruise terminal. We didn’t argue thinking the passage from Bowne street may have been closed, and ended up walking 0.7 miles to the ship instead of the expected 0.2. We walked most of the way together and did confirm that most of our walk was unnecessary as the gate to Bowne Street was open as usual. My winter coat was bulky and awkward to use with a backpack. I took it off just outside the terminal and put it in my smaller daypack. I had a collapsible pack that hadn’t yet used and put my laptop and meds in that and checked the main backpack and small one with my coat with the porters.

My “official” boarding time was noon but it was about 1:30 when I arrived at the terminal. Checkin was a breeze, and I was onboard by 1:40. As I walked up the stairs to deck 5, I noticed one of my White Star bags at the landing. It was delivered just a couple minutes later. Tatiana, my stewardess, introduced herself about 2 and inquired about my luggage. I told her I was expecting 3 more bags and she promised to follow up. As I went up to Kings Court for lunch the second White Star bag was at the stairway landing.

I learned a bit about cell phone service in Kings Court. My brother had called while I was in church and I called back from Kings Court. We had spotty service in Kings Court and I thought it might be better from the Promenade deck. It might have been but somewhere between my table and the open deck the connection dropped completely. From the Promenade deck I also got my first live view of Anthem of the Seas in Bayonne, which I will sail in June.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/allmystuff.jpg

When I returned from lunch all of my bags had arrived. Between my winter crossings and continuing to Antarctica I am carrying a lot of stuff. I spent the rest of the afternoon unpacking. Muster was at 5, and my station was in Winter Garden. I had assumed we would leave soon after muster and went up to the Pavilion Pool for a protected vantage for sailaway. By 6 I concluded we were not about to leave and headed down to dinner.

I am at table 84, a port side 8-top. Everybody is a solo, 4 men and 4 women. We are about evenly divided between the UK and the US, although 1 lady now lives in Toronto. We are quite a diverse group in terms of itineraries, one just flew in from Britain for the Crossing, 2 are doing the entire Queen Elizabeth World Cruise and some are returning home after extended US visits. I am the only one going on to Queen Victoria. None of my tablemates is returning on QM2, although the couple I met on the bus are. I think this will be a very pleasant table. In the conversation, I learned that we weren’t due to leave until 9. That was actually in the Daily Programme, although I had only looked in the expected 5-7 time slots.

There was a Welcome Aboard show at 7:45. I skipped it and started working on my computer while listening on Channel 40. Captain Christopher Wells came on about 9:15 and indicated everything was ready for out departure. By the time I bundled up and headed up to the Pavilion Pool there was a wide patch of water between us and the terminal. It was cold and windy on Deck 12 and I spent most of my time inside the Pavilion Pool, going outside only at the critical points. After we passed under the Verizzano Bridge about 10, I stopped briefly at the Commodore Club and called it a night.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/verizzano.jpg

Timely posting for the day of a QM2 embarkation is always a challenge. Since it is now so late I will cheat a bit on the parting shot. It is now well into Monday morning. While the official temperature is 43, with the breeze it feels a lot colder. I have always felt that Queen Mary 2 had the best promenade deck at sea. On any other ship I’m quite sure that today I would have either cancelled or shortened my walk. QM2's Promenade Deck has enough protection that on this ship I never in my 5 miles felt like I don’t want to go on. I may cancel or shorten some walks later in the cruise but not today. Mr Payne, you designed a really unique ship. Thank you.

Roy

Just starting the travelling too Roy, though yours are probably a little more salubrious, Im stuck in the lounge at the airport and they have run out of Krug!

Have you been here before me?

Thank you and roscoe. What airport are you stuck in?

The Crystal Symphony is at sea from Rio to Ihla Grande, Brazil. QV is at sea from Southampton to Copenhagen.

At 5am the seas were calm with overcast weather. We were approaching the Connecticut Rhode Island border. The temperature was 43F but the force 5 winds made it quite chilly. I was uncertain about completing my 5-mile morning walk but a combination of being well bundled up and the protective bulkhead on QM2's bow kept the morning quite walkable. When sunrise came just after 7, only a hint of the sun appeared through the clouds.. Entertainment Director Paul O’Laughlin’s morning show was mostly introductions of a few ship’s personnel. He started his daily QM2 facts quiz with a softball, even I knew that the nightclub G32 was named for the ship’s ID in the shipyard.

This voyage has a bit of a theme element to it. It is the first (I think) of a series of collaborations between the New York Times and the Cunard Insights program. We have a total of 5 Times correspondents on board and the first 3 of them made presentations in Illuminations today.

Serge Kovaleski started things off with “The Story Behind Harper Lee’s new book: Go Set A Watchman” with the idea that the book is not really new. He was followed at 11 by David Cay Johnston on Hammurabi’s Code. In between I was officially “Admitted” to the United Kingdom. Lines for the Immigration officer are normally long at the start of their sessions, but at 10:45 I had completed my immigration in less time than it took me to walk from Illuminations to the Dining Room. On the way I passed a Fruit Carving demonstration in the Atrium.

At noon the ships horns were tested and we learned we were southeast of Nantucket approaching Georges Bank. Conditions will be stable for the rest of the day. We also moved the clocks an hour forward at noon and are now on Atlantic time.

Classical Guitarist Simon Davies performed at 2:15. I missed it because the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet was held at 2. A diverse group of about 15 people met in the Commodore Club and most stayed for about an hour. The final Cunard Insights program was Times Science Correspondent John Schwartz with a talk on Global Warming. It ended just in time for me to get to the Queens Room for the end of Afternoon Tea a scone, and the tunes of the Sunrise Strings.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/meetgreet.jpg

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/teatime.jpg

There was just 1 missing from our formal night at table 84, as 7 of us enjoyed a lovely elegant dinner. The evening entertainment was a very nice show by flautist Jonathan Johnston. I did not partake but the Black and White Ball was held in the Queens Room. I did stop by the Golden Lion Pub after the show for a little of Andy Law at the piano.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/jjohnston.jpg

Today’s parting shot concerns the power of dance and music. One of the joys of a Crystal World Cruise is the talent staff of the Singers and Dancers who will go beyond what they have been taught as their regular duties and put together some original shows. I recently was reminded of that when I saw a video of a show assembled for St. Patrick’s Day in 2014. The cast put on a spectacular dance rendition of Lord of the Dance. Jonathan Johnston opened his show with “Lord of the Dance” and in my mind it was like I was back on the Crystal Serenity watching the show again. I don’t know if I will now be drawn to that scene forever when I hear the tune but for now that song and that scene are solidly associated in my mind. Amazing.

Roy

A familiar face in your M&G photo. I met the fellow with the book on qv TA last April. We spent some time at the commodore club bar before and after dinner and now I recall him saying he was doing the world cruise this year. Small world!

Rob

I am a bit put off by the photo of your "stuff" in the cabin. Please tell me that the bed is NOT regularly made so the metal frame shows at the end of the bed every day. If so one might be ready for a rag and an oil can as you may have been placed in the crew quarters.

Thank you all. That is the way the bed is but works fine despite the little cosmetic issue and that is NOT the norm for beds on QM2.

The Crystal Symphony is in Ihla Grande, Brazil. QV is in Copenhagen.

It was a difficult day outside. When I rose at 5, the TV display indicated the outer decks were closed due to the winds. I walked through Kings Court and found all the doors were roped off and stepped out briefly on aft Deck 8, and then walked the inside corridors for about a half hour.

This is the only day of the crossing where we do not lose an hour. With the extra hour we had 4 Cunard Insights presentations. Peter Lewis started things off at 10 with “Transformational Technologies”. Clyde Haberman continued at 11 with “New York, New York-So Nice they Named it Twice”. There was only a short break at noon; with the foul weather on deck I decided to watch the daily noon ringing of the bell in the Atrium.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/noonbell.jpg

Captain Wells indicated we are about 200 miles past Halifax and 30 miles from Sable Island. The Temperature was 34F, and the winds had gone down some but were still about 50 knots. Some of the doors were unsealed in the afternoon but I never saw anybody on the Promenade Deck.

Cunard Insights got just a little lunch break, opening in the afternoon (12:15) with a talk by Serge Kowalski on the dispute with Donald Turmp. The final presentation was David Cay Johnston with”Progressive Taxes, An Ancient Invention”.

I was a bit drowsy today and was quite late for the Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, missing the receiving line. There are 2,366 of us on board from 33 countries. The only triple digit countries are Canada with just over 100, the US at 582, and 1,447 Brits. 500 people have been on since the ship left Southampton December 15. There are about 1,300 crew from 56 countries.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/olaughlin.jpg

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/srstaff.jpg

One of our group has left table 84 for another table but the remaining 7 of us enjoyed another lovely formal dinner. I enjoyed the steak and the Spa desert.

Ship’s production shows tend not to change much, and I can’t remember a new one on QM2 for some time – until tonight. I know Broadway Rocks was not on my October crossing and I don’t think I have ever seen it. It does not have a real theme and is music from a number of Broadways, sometimes in the form of a medley of music from different shows. West Side Story, Hairspray, and the Lion King are shows that stand out. It was very enjoyable. I stopped off for a bit at the Chart Room after the show. I think a jazz group was setting up but I did not linger long enough to hear them:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/broadway.jpg

When I returned to my room a letter was waiting for me with arrangements for Southampton. There were tags for the bags to be taken off the ship and I can claim them in the terminals and take a transfer to Queen Victoria. If I do that I will be called off the ship about 10:15. The alternative is I can leave the ship any time after 8 and take my bags to the transfer vehicle for delivery to QV and then do my own thing in Southampton. I like that alternative

Today’s parting shot comes from the Welcome Aboard. Captain Wells talked of QM2 and how it was built to thrive on North Atlantic Conditions for better or for worse. He continued we have seen for better and will likely soon see “for worse”. I think I may have chosen the perfect prelude to a Drake Passage crossing.

Roy

The Crystal Symphony is in Ilhabela, Brazil. QV is in Copenhagen.

This morning I started out walking on indoor corridors, not even trying to go out on the Promenade Deck. There was a bit of confusion about sunrise, somewhere in the time frame of 7AM or a little before. When I went to the fitness center just after 7, the sun was showing through the clouds just above the horizon. The doors by the fitness center were not roped off, and I went out to the promenade deck for a closer look. The wind was not bad but it was right around freezing, and some patches of water had become icy spots. Whatever the conditions I will refrain from walking before dawn until it warms up some.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/dawn0106.jpg

I did go out on the Promenade deck about 8 and walked 6 laps (2.2 miles). The icy patches had been salted and it was not bad except for a very cold blast of air across the bow.

As has become routine there were 3 Cunard Insights in Illuminations at 10, 11, and 3:30. The morning presentations were John Schwartz on “Trashing our Oceans” (especially plastics) and Peter Lewis with the second half of his Transformational Technologies talk

As we will every day for the rest of the crossing we advanced the clocks an hour at noon. By the time of Captain Wells’ noon update, the winds had been diminished to just light and the temperature had risen to 4C. He expects a storm in the next 24 hours with Force 8 (gale) winds and 10-meter (about 33 foot) seas. He is altering course 200 miles south of our great circle route to evade much of the storm. While QM2 has the size and hull design to handle rough seas, it also has the reserve power to alter speed for a diversion and to also allow slowing down in the storm while still being on time in Southampton.

It was a very busy afternoon. The future cruise consultant had a 2PM talk on”Hints and Tips for your next voyage”. Unfortunately, there was also a 2:15 Guitar Recital by Simon Davies and when I left the talk at 2:30 it had all been about selecting a stateroom and nothing about itineraries. The Guitar recital included a variety of classical, latin, and popular music.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/davies.jpg

There was just a short break before the final (3:30) Insights lecture, Clyde Haberman on “The Militarization of our Police Forces”. I left very quickly after his talk for Afternoon Tea. The Queens Room Orchestra played at the tea and there was a lot of activity on the dance floor.

A special dish of fish pie was produced for table 84 tonight. I don’t eat seafood but the dish got very favorable reviews from my tablemates. Unfortunately, the person who requested the dish did not show up for dinner.

This evening’s entertainment “Unusualist” entertainer David Copperfield, not to be confused with the famous Illusionist. Copperfield sang, played guitar, and did some comedy but was not really my cup of tea.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/copperfield.jpg

Today’s parting shot is more of a heads up. For the next few days this will be something of a working vacation for me. I am treasurer of my local church and the annual financial report needs my attention. My apologies but my posts for the next few days may be somewhat sketchy and/or late.

Roy

Thank you Host Hattie. I also have a question. I got a comment on my blog noticing that there were prominent reminders in the Daily Programme to use the hand sanitizer in Kings Court. I replied that I had not seen any evidence of Norovirus, but am wondering about the same thing on QV. Do you remember a lot of reminders about that in your Daily Programmes and did you see evidence of NV. Overall, it sounds like you found QV quite ready to treat us well.

Roy

Today’s parting shot is more of a heads up. For the next few days this will be something of a working vacation for me. I am treasurer of my local church and the annual financial report needs my attention. My apologies but my posts for the next few days may be somewhat sketchy and/or late.

Roy

I was at my Ministry course last night and was told I have to swat up on the practical use of biblical Exegesis & Hermeneutics in preaching whilst I have my 2 weeks on QM2 starting on Sunday!! Looks like a bit of a (church) working vacation for me too.

Yes, there were reminders and no, no sign of noro. I think they are just the normal precautions.

We had noro on our QM2 (not personally ) & things were very different!

She seemed in good shape to us, have a wonderful time.

Roy,

Just a note to thank you for your reports which, as always, have been informative and insightful.

Good luck with the financial report for your church and godspeed on the next leg of your journey.

John

Edited by Thaxted

I was at my Ministry course last night and was told I have to swat up on the practical use of biblical Exegesis & Hermeneutics in preaching whilst I have my 2 weeks on QM2 starting on Sunday!! Looks like a bit of a (church) working vacation for me too.

My wife and I have been in the same boat, literally and metaphorically. I think that you'll find theological reflection onboard QM2 to be an interesting experience, to say the least!

My wife and I have been in the same boat, literally and metaphorically. I think that you'll find theological reflection onboard QM2 to be an interesting experience, to say the least!
It's nice to know one is not on their own! -my Kindle is full of relevant books on the subjects - I just trust I will find sufficient time and do justice to the assignment.

Thanks, John, Trevor, and Host Hattie

The Crystal Symphony is in Santos, Brazil. QV is at sea from Copenhagen to Hamburg.

I started about 5:30 AM walking interior corridors of QM2 for a half hour. I went down to Kings Court about 7 do use the wifi and noticed that most of the doors to the promenade deck were in use and returned about 9 for 6 laps, followed by another 4 at lunch time.

There were 3 more New York Times/Insights presentations at the usual 10AM, 11AM, and 3:30PM. The morning presentations were David Cay Johnston on “Exploding Steamships and Dirty Beef” and John Schwartz on “The Shape of Journalism Today”. One thing that is different about this series of programs is that all the talks are short, not much over a half hour, followed by a generous period for audience questions.

At noon I went up to the Pavilion Pool for the horn testing and found all the doors secured but heard the horns quite well from inside the pool. It has warmed up considerably to perhaps 10C/50F, and I am walking in my (Crystal fleece) and rain shell, with the heavy winter coat sitting in the closet. The seas are rough but less than predicted, perhaps 7 meter swells instead of 10. The winds are strong but behind us so not too bad on deck. At noon (Thursday) we were due north of Porto Delgada, our first port on Queen Victoria. The weather is still very changeable. After a pleasant noon walk I went on deck about 3PM and encountered a hail shower.

The afternoon Times/Insights presentation was Serge Kovaleski on “Writing a Memoir”, the story of his father who was a ranking tennis player while doubling as a CIA spy. Most of the rest of the afternoon I was working on my financial reports (when I finish this post [now early Friday afternoon] I will also send first drafts to my finance committee).

Our numbers were somewhat reduced at table 84, perhaps in part due to the rougher seas. I enjoyed one of the Canyon Ranch Spa entrees, a lamb dish.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/spalamb.jpg

The World Club Party was held between dinner seatings. I met Captain Wells in the receiving line and confirmed that he will be continuing on to the start of the World Cruise. I misplaced the exact counts but we have about 500 Gold members, 250 Platinum (like me) and just over 200 Diamonds. 3 couples were recognized for records between 1300 and 2000 nights.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/wcparty.jpg

The evening entertainment group was a female vocal group, the Spinnettes, who sang music from the 40's. They were very good.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/spinettes.jpg

As I continue working on my reports, I’ll give the parting shot a rest.

Roy

The World Club Party was held between dinner seatings. I met Captain Wells in the receiving line and confirmed that he will be continuing on to the start of the World Cruise.

Roy

That is good news - I find him to be one of the most affable captains around.

This was posted to my thread on the Crystal forum. I thought it might be of interest here too.

Has anyone heard of a Cunard package where you sail to Australia from CA on one ship , then spend a week on land tour there then board another Cunard ship to return back to CA? I saw this advertised somewhere but now can't find the information.

Much as Crystal is doing in 2018, Cunard has generally deployed all it’s ships on World Cruises and there is normally a stop by each ship in Sydney. I thought they generally met in Sydney but apparently not recently. There are some interesting options for Americans in 2017:

Queen Elizabeth:

Southampton 1/7

New York 1/16

Ft. Lauderdale 1/19

San Francisco 2/3

Hawaii and New Zealand

Sydney February 25

Return on Queen Victoria

Sydney March 10

Melbourne 3/12

New Zeland, Samoa, and Hawaii

San Francisco 4/3

Los Angeles 4/6

Ft. Lauderdale 4/21

Southampton 5/5

An alternative but not to California:

Queen Mary 2:

Sydney March 10

China, Hong Kong, Singapore, and the Suez Canal

Southampton 5/8

New York 5/15

If not committed to my Serenity World Cruise segment I would find this very interesting.

Roy

That is good news - I find him to be one of the most affable captains around.

I agree, Trevor.

The Crystal Symphony is in Itajai, Brazil. QV is in Hamburg.

Recently I have had no idea what to expect from the weather in the morning but I left my room about 5:30 with my fleece and rain jacket and found conditions good enough that I walked my entire 14 laps(5 miles) first thing in the morning. The temperature was about 9C/48F and a brisk wind from the West was largely cancelled by the speed of the ship. It was mostly cloudy but nice openings appeared on our starboard at first light. I had decided to do laundry this morning and was in line at the launderette at sunrise (7:20) but it looked very promising.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/dawn0108.jpg

There are 4 machines in each launderette. When I arrived about 7:20 I was 3rd in line, and as I left the room just after 7:30 I had bad news for the approaching number 5. I worked on my financial reports for a while breaking about 8:15 to move my clothes to the dryer and again at 9 to pick them up. When I returned from the launderette I stopped by Kings Court for coffee and to step outside. It was raining hard. I had been quite lucky in the timing of my walk.

3daily New York Times/Cunard Insights is pretty much the norm and today was no exception. The morning featured Clyde Haberman on the Israeli-Palestinian situation and Serge Kovaleski on the process of getting people to talk, using the call girl frequented by former New York Governor Spitzer as an example.

As noon approached to took stairway C up to deck 12 for the midday horn test. I was about midway past the Pavilion Pool when the test started and the effects of having some horns in front of me and others behind me was quite striking. Deck 13 was open today and I got what may have been my last look at the deck 13 pool and the Lookout as that area will be converted to cabins in the fall.

Having a batch of freshly cleaned clothes I decided to start packing rather than return them to the closet. Packing and computer activities consumed most of my activities. I did also drop down to Illuminations for Peter Lewis’ talk on the future of the internet, followed by afternoon tea.

At the final formal night of the voyage I enjoyed duck and baked Alaska. We had a parade of culinary staff which was much like the old Baked Alaska parade without the fire hazard. That was followed by the Senior Officers Party for Platinum and Diamond World Club members.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/srofficer.jpg

The evening Entertainment was the Royal Cunard Singers and Dancers in Appasionata. It’s a great show but I’ve seen it many times and spent the evening in packing and computer activities. The Royal Ascot Ball was also held tonight.

Today’s parting shot is a hearty Bon Voyage to all those embarking in Southampton Sunday on any of the ships starting the world cruise, especially Rick and Carol from Table 84 going to Queen Elizabeth and those joining me on Queen Victoria. Safe travels to Southampton and I look forward to seeing many of you on board.

Roy

Crystal Symphony is at sea from Itajal Brazil to Punta Del Este Uruguay. QV is at sea from Hamburg to Southampton

I concluded my final 5-mile walk on QM2 about 7:10. It was overcast and close to drizzle bud not quite drizzle with a temperature in the mid-40's. For the first time the nearest land was European with Ireland about 170 miles ahead of us.

Despite losing an hour at noon to get to UK time, there were 4 New York Times/Cunard Insights programs. Peter Lewis started things off with “Privacy and Security” at 10, Clyde Haberman on relations with Asia at 11, and David Cay Johnston with his program for 21st century taxation at 12:15.

I went up to deck 13 for the final testing of the horns, and the noon report indicated that we would pass Bishop Rock about 4PM and be docked about 6:30.

The final (3:30) presentation was John Schwartz on “The Marriage Revolution”. Schwartz os both an avid court watcher and also has a gay son, and his talk was quite a mix of legalese and poignant personal experience. When the talk ended we were just short of Bishop Rock, but it was about 17 miles to our port and not visible.

We enjoyed a lovely final dinner at table 84. I had an excellent sirloin steak.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/table84.jpg

The evening entertainment was piano showman Chris Hamilton. He closed the show by creating a medley of songs called out by the audience, and put on a very nice show. I returned to my room and final packing continued to about midnight.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/hamilton.jpg

Today’s parting shot is kind of a round of kudos. On these Cunard Voyages I have ended up with more onboard credit than I would normally use. I had planned from the beginning to use some of those credits to increase the hotel service charge (gratuities), but the service provided by my main serving team of Stewardess Tatiana and waiters Rommel and Dane Paul made doing so an absolute pleasure. My waiters especially not only delivered excellent service but made the effort to learn everyone’s names and from about day 3 we were routinely addressed as “Mr. Jones” or “Mrs Smith”, something I have not seen on Cunard before. I was also pleased to be able to do that as at least one of Cunard’s sister lines has now prohibited using onboard credits to reward the crew. Well done Tatiana, Rommel, Dane Paul, and Cunard.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd