Beware when renting a var

GOIN2C

My DH and I left on cruise from Port Canaveral recently.

I would like to caution anyone renting a car from Sanford to be aware of something that may be a scam

This is a copy of the letter I wrote to the car company, I will call this company $$ car rental

I do believe that you have a scam going on. I intend to further investigate.

We were sent a bill from you for a rental of 11/08-11/09/15

Upon calling we were told that the sun pass failed to register our pass, took photo of license plate and it was traced to our rental.

I called sun pass and was told that it did NOT photo and Bill our license, that our sun pass paid the toll and you should not have sent us that bill

Not only did you bill us the $2.10 for toll, you billed us a $15 admin fee.

We sent you this information with a copy of Sun Pass Statement. Also a rep of SunPass contacted you.

This wasn't enough for you.

This is robbery we had been good customers of thrifty and dollar until now.

What a terrible way to make a few bucks

Edited by GOIN2C

A reminder that I only rent from rental companies such as Hertz, Avis and National.

I don't rent from small time operations.

Keith

The OP states Thrifty and Dollar in the post (sister companies). Not what most would call small time operations lol

Wow, I am "bad" today.

And I see where they mentioned thrifty and dollar.

I still favor Hertz, Avis and National.

I think I better get new glasses though.

Happy Holidays

I agree.

To the OP, it doesn't sound like they were trying to rip you off for a few dollars.

Maybe it was an honest accounting mistake?

Wow, I am "bad" today.

And I see where they mentioned thrifty and dollar.

I still favor Hertz, Avis and National.

I think I better get new glasses though.

Happy Holidays

Ah well, it happens to the best of us.

I had a problem with a rental car with a Sunpass and the administration fee was $25. I was given a phone number to call. I tried to calmly explain what happened and they waived the fee. It was aggravating, but it all worked out

I agree.

To the OP, it doesn't sound like they were trying to rip you off for a few dollars.

Maybe it was an honest accounting mistake?

We contacted Sun Pass. The Sun Paas admin called Dollar, verifying to Dollar we paid the toll with our sun pass. We also sent Dollar a copy of our Sun Pass Statement.

Dollar ignored the info they received. Sun Pass told us and Dollar that no photo was taken and no bill was sent to Dollar For this toll. The total bill was 17.10 from Dollar with admin fees. (Toll, that we paid the first time, of $2.10 and $15.00 admin fees) Dollar lied, and would not reneg on bill.

Sorry, this was no accident in billing. When company found out with verification, they billed our Visa.

To me, this smells of a scam. I will never trust Dollar or Thrifty Car Rental again

Think twice before you do.

Edited by GOIN2C

Ah well, it happens to the best of us.

I had a problem with a rental car with a Sunpass and the administration fee was $25. I was given a phone number to call. I tried to calmly explain what happened and they waived the fee. It was aggravating, but it all worked out

It was not a bill from SunPass, it was a bill from Dollar.

SunPass tried to help.

I would dispute the charge with Visa. I know it doesn't seem like a large sum, but if they're doing it to numerous customers, well, it's free money to them. I would also think about reporting it to BBB.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

It was not a bill from SunPass, it was a bill from Dollar.

SunPass tried to help.

My bill was from the car rental agency, also, since they were billed by Sun Pass. I understand your situation is different (and I agree, smells fishy).

I deleted the part of my post where I mentioned how tourist-friendly Florida used to be, but now I feel things are deteriorating, especially in the car rental area. It's still good - I just feel I need to be more careful than ever, because I hate that feeling of someone trying to cheat me. I actually typed this out twice and deleted it again because I'm not trying to start anything. You just reminded me of my trip earlier in the month and I wanted to vent a bit ;)

I hope you get a positive resolution.

1) these 'fee infractions' are actually handled by a third party for the rental companies ...

2) did you CALL Dollar and talk to a human? Seems like the post that did CALL, got a resolution.

3) If you look at the SUNPASS site and compare how rental companies handle toll 'infractions' you quickly see SOME are much worse than others .....

4) Florida and Dollar ain't unique ..... I just got similarly zapped on a visit to Norfolk where the tunnels (are now) tolled AND electronic payment only. No one at the rental counter asked/warned me and so what should have been a $2 toll was $17 and it was a company that I recommend as more 'toll friendly' in Florida . . . (there's more ugly details if you are curious because VA does offer a 'get out of jail' system)