No more art auctions for me

LoveThisCruisingThing

Yes I am one of those who like the art auctions on board. When Princess had their own auction; I bought several pieces that I love and was so happy with their service.

I was on the Crown for the Christmas cruise. On the next to last or last sea day, got a flier stating that the auctioneer had been challenged by the ship (yea right) to sell 60 pieces in 60 minutes. All art was advertised as $500 or less. I went to the preview and saw a piece I liked. Asked the 12 year old (ok maybe she looked 15) with a clipboard how much the piece was. After listening to her explanation of how the auction worked, she looked up the price and gave me the evaluation price then the starting bid. Well it wasn't $500 but $650. I mentioned the flier and then she started stumbling around. Gave me a weak answer that the size of the piece dictates the price. When I mentioned the piece was smaller than the surrounding pieces (that I heard her quote under $500 to the woman ahead of me) she didn't know what to say. I again brought up the flier and she just shrugged her shoulders. When I told her "you are doing false advertising", she turned her back and walked away."

After this experience, I will no longer go to ship auctions until Princess returns to the in-house auction.

By the way, no announcement if 60 pieces were sold or not. After getting a flier, notice in the Patter, and a public address announcement about the auction, I would have thought the auctioneer would have something to say. Also, never saw the auctioneer at the gallery only his flunkies, and it was printed in the patter the art pieces would only be discussed "by appointment". Not even on formal nights was the auctioneer there (unlike previous cruises the auctioneer was always at the gallery during formal nights).

I wonder how many sales have been lost because of this new auction house? They certainly lost me.

This is too bad. DW and I enjoy the art auctions and have several pieces that we have purchased onboard. I'm no going to get into the debate on price and quality because we have always only bought pieces that we enjoy and feel were a fair price plus I didn't have to track down a gallery for a piece that I liked as it was right there.

I hope that's an isolated incident and not a sign of a more widespread problem. Our last cruise in February had a very active and available gallery host and it was very nice to just sit and talk with him.

I think the real secret with art is "what is it worth to you?"

Most of us will never have the luxury to purchase art for investment sake in our lifetime.

Most people think I am nut for what I paid for my last piece of original artwork. But it spoke to me and I knew exactly where it would live in my house, so I bought it. I have no intention of selling it or attempting to make a profit.

I think about art like Beanie Babies. The retail cost for a Beanie Baby was $5. Some people became collectors and paid much more... they thought it was a good investment. Most are worth just about $5 today... there are a scant few that are worth more.

I saw some unique art on-board once during a cruise.

I photographed the artist's signature and googled him when I returned home.

I ended up buying several pieces directly from the artist at an incredible savings.

Prints that were listed with a min. bid of $350, I was able to purchase for just $65.

The savings were even greater on giclée canvas prints.

Just no Champagne to enjoy.

That's not even champagne they serve, it's sparkling wine and moreover it's not produced in France much less the Champagne region IN France. You are better off at the local flea market where nothing is served than to drink their headache inducing rot gut ;)

Dealt with Park West Art Auctions once several years ago...finally got a full refund but it was a struggle for months.

I will NEVER deal with them again...bummed that Princess went back to them. I used to like listening to the auctioneer lectures and info about the artist...but no more.

Bad decision by Princess, IMHO:mad:

Dealt with Park West Art Auctions once several years ago...finally got a full refund but it was a struggle for months.

I will NEVER deal with them again...bummed that Princess went back to them. I used to like listening to the auctioneer lectures and info about the artist...but no more.

Bad decision by Princess, IMHO:mad:

They are a bunch of crooks.

I haven't seen an Art Auction thread in awhile. I used to like the in-house one. Since it's switched to PW, I've not been impressed... though I've only been on 2 cruises with PW. I was hoping that PW would improve, but I guess I best not hold my breath.

And yes, I have a few pieces that I still enjoy.. great value and as a bonus they remind me of the great cruises we've taken.:)

Not on Princess but on a recent Carnival cruise, Park West had a bunch of Thomas Kinkade art they were trying to unload.

My DH is very familiar with him and his paintings and actually did work for the guy at one time many years ago.

We went in one sea day just to look around, the staff started pressuring us to buy something. My DH asked them specific and detailed questions about the art that he knew they wouldn't be able to answer, they caught on that my DH knew what he was talking about, then at that time they got very rude and pretty much pushed us out.

Boy, did we have some laughs over that one.

Park West is such a rip off and fraud, and yes, the free champagne will give you a raging headache!

Google Park West and the other art auctioneers on cruise lines and see all the bad reports on them. I hate getting those fliers in my mail box and as inserts. I throw them away adding to the piles and piles of waste paper taken off the ship. If Princess wants to be an eco friendly ship, they need to dispense of this worthless and annoying advertising.

Sigh. Before this flares up again, here's the net net.

Having PW do the auctions is guaranteed income for Princess, as they 'lease' the gallery space and pay for cabin space for staff plus a percentage of the art sales. In exchange, Princess provides the venue, space in the patter and announcements, POS systems and charging.

Under this system, Princess doesn't need to maintain any back of house operations like they did before nor deal with complaints and customer issues regarding art. They may not make as much pure profit, but the money they do make is more consistent, which is why they and so many ships use PW even if they are horrible (also the same reason most spas are operated by the same companies), And since all lines use PW pretty much, its not a differentiator for art lovers.

What Loonbeam said.......my spouse Luvs the art auctions, and spends alot of time at them. Mostly goes for the free artwork at end of auction.:p

We re-gift those prints to family who seem to really like them. I always attach the Proof of Authenticity to the back of the frame.

Once in awhile we buy a piece. But like mentioned above, it is what it is.

You don't go to those auctions for Picassos, but they Will sell you one if you wanna buy it. lol

Some PW auctioneers are better than others. The best are informational without being pushy. Seems the nicer ships have the better ones.

Weve been to many PW auctions,especially on NCL, and have learned the ropes. We are not pressured to get anything.

Its a way to pass the time if you have a Sea day & don't have anything else you want to do..... its informational, educational. I must say I Have Learned a thing or two about the different artists.

Soooooo, Go or Don't go to the Auctions, but don't feel pressured to get anything, ever.