PO Australia getting a new ship

That's the very reason Explorer heeled over 10 deg in a squall.

Too little Draft and too much Air Draft (height above waterline).

This happened to us on Radiance of the Seas- I am ex-Navy, used to much smaller ships in large seas and have to say that it frightened the hell out of me!!! With no pre-warning and (at first) nothing to indicate a reason for the action, Radiance slowly, silently and persistently heeled over to around 10 degrees. All onboard thought it was funny - but I DID NOT!!! I walked ( at an 80 degree angle to the deck!!) quietly to the door to the promenade deck , attempted to open it and then realised what had happened - we had been hit side-on by a HUGE wind squall and the ship had heeled this far because of that. Eventually the Captain was able to turn the ship up into the wind and up she came back to normal stance..

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

BTW - I did read in one of the news announcements that this new P&O ship will be doing 3-10 days cruises!!! :)

It's a bit early for anything specific like that. She's still 4-5 years away, so itinerary plans can change a fair bit in that time.

With the likes of Celebrity and Princess sending their latest and greatest here most sophisticates will stick to those cruise lines and avoid P&O Australia.

I personally have no desire to sail with P&O Australia regardless of how new the ship is they get. I will go with Celebrity or Princess.

This "unsophisticate" having previously been loyal to Princess (mostly) , enjoyed my cruise on Pacific Eden and am happy to try new cruise lines with an open mind.

I will only comment on a cruise line once I have sailed with them and more likely only on ships I have sailed on :)

This "unsophisticate" having previously been loyal to Princess (mostly) , enjoyed my cruise on Pacific Eden and am happy to try new cruise lines with an open mind.

I will only comment on a cruise line once I have sailed with them and more likely only on ships I have sailed on :)

Exactly right Thorpe. Tony has never sailed with P&O Australia, all based on his parents experience on Pacific Sun many years ago. He's much better than the rest of us, clearly.

That's the nub of the issue.

They're looking for significant profit drivers. Building a much smaller ship for the main lines doesn't achieved the desired return for the scale of the business.

The two major lines (Not NCL) have lines that cater for a more niche audience with smaller ships though i.e. Azamara and Seabourn.

NCL now own Oceania and Regent Cruises to cover their piece of the small-ship luxury market. :)

Edited by Royalty X

Will the PnO regular be ready for the pricing for a new ship?

I doubt they will get the prices they are used to with a new mega buch ship.

Loyalty?.. We will see

I'm inferring from the release that pricing will be in line with the existing P&O range. When Aria and Eden came out their pricing was higher as well, but pricing is as always set to meet the market.

That new ship will be targetting families and kids with all the bells and whistles.

Speaking of the Pacific Princess. Princess should ship that down here and it could do 15/20 day runs up to Tahitiian Islands and other islands and back out of Sydney. I reckon they would get bookings.

Yes please, done the Pacific islands enough, not enough ships do Tahiti and I'd love to go. Maybe they could do something with different legs like a b2b that does a large circle, i.e. Nz, Pacific islands, Tahiti and back? You could pick it up in NZ, Fiji or Tahiti and have a few extra days to explore before flying home, maybe that would work.

Edited by Hgwells01

Fortunately for myself I posses a superior level of intellect so high that I have the ability to perceive in advance what I will like and not like. When I look at booking a cruise I look at the demographic that the cruise line markets to and make an informed choice if it will suit me or not. That level of sophistication when knowing what I like and what demographic the cruise line caters do has enabled me to sail with P&O UK, Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and enjoy what the lines have to offer.

Some say that you need to experience something to judge it, well let me challenge you with this. You don't have to fly with RyanAir to know its crap and you don't have to physically smoke a cigarette to know that it is bad for you. When you apply that logic to making informed judgments about things then picking a cruise becomes so much more easier.

So sticking to the topic in hand I know that P&O Australia is not the demographic that I chose to associate with and as a result new ship or even my favourite recycled ships I have no desire to sail with that line. The new ship will not draw me to P&O Australia.

Fortunately for myself I posses a superior level of intellect so high that I have the ability to perceive in advance what I will like and not like. When I look at booking a cruise I look at the demographic that the cruise line markets to and make an informed choice if it will suit me or not. That level of sophistication when knowing what I like and what demographic the cruise line caters do has enabled me to sail with P&O UK, Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and enjoy what the lines have to offer.

Some say that you need to experience something to judge it, well let me challenge you with this. You don't have to fly with RyanAir to know its crap and you don't have to physically smoke a cigarette to know that it is bad for you. When you apply that logic to making informed judgments about things then picking a cruise becomes so much more easier.

So sticking to the topic in hand I know that P&O Australia is not the demographic that I chose to associate with and as a result new ship or even my favourite recycled ships I have no desire to sail with that line. The new ship will not draw me to P&O Australia.

Thank goodness Tony. I doubt a ship that big would fit your ego, nor your giant intellect-filled head. [emoji849]

Thank goodness Tony. I doubt a ship that big would fit your ego, nor your giant intellect-filled head. [emoji849]

Why does it bother you personally when someone, people or anyone does not like a particular cruise line or only wants to cruise on ships that match their demographic and style.

Do you seek to deprive people of freedom of choice to decide what cruise line and ship is right for them or would you rather dictate and force your views onto others.

I personally don't care what cruise lines or ships other people favour. I know what I like and am comfortable with my choices and I am pretty secure about that.

Do we live in a free society where people have a right to chose the style of holiday we like or would you rather us live in a regime where people are told what to do.

What I would like to see is more sailings from Fremantle by any line, having Princess doing cruises from here over the last few years has been great, no flying, on holiday from the very first day, but the choice of cruises is getting less from Princess not more, asia is on our doorstep and there are plenty of places to visit, did a great 30 day up to Hong Kong & Halong Bay on Princess one year. More ships should mean more choice, some short cruises, and longer ones and more ports of call. As for a new ship for P&O believe it when I see it. Note that when they get Dawn Princess they will change one of the dining rooms to make it two paying restaurants, which will presumably mean the remaining restaurant won't be able to cope and booking will be the nightmare it is on the other P&O ships. What they need are more staff, which would of course mean higher prices. Did Pacific Jewel this year, not keen to go back, many first time cruisers thought the experience not worth repeating which is a shame for cruising and those of us who are addicted.

Why does it bother you personally when someone, people or anyone does not like a particular cruise line or only wants to cruise on ships that match their demographic and style.

Do you seek to deprive people of freedom of choice to decide what cruise line and ship is right for them or would you rather dictate and force your views onto others.

I personally don't care what cruise lines or ships other people favour. I know what I like and am comfortable with my choices and I am pretty secure about that.

Do we live in a free society where people have a right to chose the style of holiday we like or would you rather us live in a regime where people are told what to do.

Oh, you've clearly misunderstood. It doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when certain people think they're better than everyone else. It's hard to work out whether you believe what you're saying or if you're just trolling to get a rise out of people.

Oh, you've clearly misunderstood. It doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when certain people think they're better than everyone else. It's hard to work out whether you believe what you're saying or if you're just trolling to get a rise out of people.

Agreed. :D

Its called perception. You seem to be under the false impression that anyone who does not like P&O Australia would consider themselves better than you. Once you can get past stereotyping and false perceptions and accept that other people have differing opinions the more wise you will be.

For the record P&O Australia is not the only line I will not cruise with. I will not cruise with HAL, NCL, MSC, Carnival to name a few.

I just happen to be a person who has studied and read about ships since I was primary school age. I know a lot more about cruise ships than any travel agent in the industry. I know my interest. Cruise ships are a hobby to me. Travel is a hobby to me. I have a wealth of information about cruise ships and how to pick the right cruise. You just have to accept that there are people in the world that have specific tastes as to what they really like in ships and cruising.

For the record P&O Australia is not the only line I will not cruise with. I will not cruise with HAL, NCL, MSC, Carnival to name a few.

Whilst a balcony on Princess is my usual choice , there are a couple of lines here I haven't tried yet. Happy to say I shouldn't run into anyone I wouldn't like to be on a cruise with should I venture forth :)

I don't think people care whether you like, or would not like, a particular cruiseline. It is the comment about your "superior level of intellect" that people find annoying. I have to suggest, despite your "high intellect" that you lack the ability to get on with people. :)

Its called perception. You seem to be under the false impression that anyone who does not like P&O Australia would consider themselves better than you. Once you can get past stereotyping and false perceptions and accept that other people have differing opinions the more wise you will be.

It's not perception at all. There's cruise lines I won't cruise with, but I don't make a big song and dance, and hijack threads, spouting negatives that, in all honesty, I don't have any authority on. But when you make grandiose statements like...

I just happen to be a person who has studied and read about ships since I was primary school age. I know a lot more about cruise ships than any travel agent in the industry. I know my interest. Cruise ships are a hobby to me. Travel is a hobby to me. I have a wealth of information about cruise ships and how to pick the right cruise.

It's THAT sort of arrogance. You think you're better than everyone else, when you have no idea about anyone else's backgrounds, interests or hobbies. You're on a forum with a bunch of cruise fanatics! I think it's pretty safe to say there are a lot of well travelled, educated, cruise enthusiasts here, and a lot of them may know more than you. Some people here like P&O, some people don't. It doesn't make you any better than the rest of us.

It's not perception at all. There's cruise lines I won't cruise with, but I don't make a big song and dance, and hijack threads, spouting negatives that, in all honesty, I don't have any authority on. But when you make grandiose statements like...

It's THAT sort of arrogance. You think you're better than everyone else, when you have no idea about anyone else's backgrounds, interests or hobbies. You're on a forum with a bunch of cruise fanatics! I think it's pretty safe to say there are a lot of well travelled, educated, cruise enthusiasts here, and a lot of them may know more than you. Some people here like P&O, some people don't. It doesn't make you any better than the rest of us.

What I cant tolerate is the absurdity that people put forward suggesting you have to try a cruise line before you rule it out. To me that is ridiculous.

I would not say the thread is hijacked at all. P&O Australia claim they have a game changer. As a Australian resident who loves cruising they will not win me over with a new ship. This is a valid input as it is clear P&O Australia think they can increase their passenger base and compete with the likes of Royal Caribbean who seem to be increasing ships here. This is a direct threat to P&O's market. It is so bad for P&O Australia that Carnival itself has to send its ships Spirit and Legend marketed under the Carnival brand to compete with the growing threat of Royal Caribbean.

P&O Australia had the opportunity decades ago to "change the game" and decades ago they could have introduced new ships and built up such a loyalty that Royal Caribbean would never have been able to get such a great market share.

The only reason Royal Caribbean is so successful in Australia with the Voyager, Explorer, Radiance, Rhapsody, Legend and the soon to come Ovation is because P&O Australia is so crap that Australians were looking for that something better that P&O Australia could not offer.

In my opinion P&O Australia fell asleep at the wheel and took for granted Australians desire to cruise and Australians love for brand new and at least state of the art ships. The reason Royal Caribbean succeeded is because P&O Australia failed. Remember over a decade ago P&O Australia would have had the monopoly here on the cruise industry and now they finally have to introduce a brand new ship to at least make themselves look competitive in the eyes of the competition.

You cant argue with the foothold the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity market have in Australia now because P&O Australia failed to secure and hold the monopoly of cruising in Australia when they had the chance. P&O Australia could have been at the top of the list but for decades they used rusty old hand-me-downs and now the competition comes in and tramples all over P&O Australia.

Will a brand new ship be a game changer for P&O Australia and take that market share from Royal Caribbean? I don't think so. I bet P&O Australia wishes they had acted earlier looking at the amount of money Royal Caribbean must be making from Australians with all their fabulous state of the art ships.

You don't have to try a cruise line before you rule it out. However, before you take to a public forum and slag it off so passionately, you probably want to have some semblance of experience about what you're criticising. Otherwise you have zero credibility.

I'm clearly a fan of RCI and Celebrity and love what they bring to the market (hence my username, avatar, signature, etc). I don't see myself ever sailing with Star Cruises, but you aren't going to find me telling people that's it's an inferior cruise line. I don't know if it is or it isn't, it's just not my thing. P&O must be doing something right. They have five (soon to be six) ships based here year round and they don't have any problem filling them. Having experienced the majority of their ships, there is stuff I enjoy and stuff I don't. The point is, if you're going to be vocal about something, it's usually a good idea to know what you're talking about, no matter how superior you think your intellect is or how educated you are.

Edited by Royalty X

Well you have to admit P&O did not manage the Australian cruise market very well to allow so many competition ships come to our shores and literally take over. P&O Australia was once the sole cruise line based here. Off the top of my head I can name:

Voyager of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Rhapsody of the Seas

Radiance of the Seas

Legend of the Seas

Celebrity Solstice

Celebrity Millennium

All of the above have been based here long term of seasonally. There would have to be something seriously wrong with the management at P&O Australia to realise that such demand for cruising existed in Australia that the competition could literally come here and take over.

I was on Radiance of the Seas in early December for 8 nights. Full of Australians.

Also there is the internal competition P&O Australia must face from the

Sun Princess

Dawn Princess

Sea Princess

Golden Princess

Carnival Spirit

Carnival Legend

What I see in Australia is an unprecedented demand for cruising that P&O Australia did not recognise or failed to act on. Its incredible the number of ships that Australians want to sail on that are NOT run by P&O Australia.

Only now after countless hand-me-downs, the flop in the news of their so called "game changers" with the recycled HAL ships to add insult to injury P&O Australia seem to think they are ready for a brand new ship.

I submit to you that had the management of P&O Australia been more vigilant years ago and rejected the hand-me-downs, changed their market and demanded a new ship then Royal Caribbean would have found it difficult to set up and take so many passengers so easily.

The evidence is there right in front of us with the amount of competition ships that are frequenting our shores.

I think the only reason P&O Australia is now getting a new ship is because Carnival corp recognises it is failing and are taking drastic actions to reverse its fortunes.

The competition has literally come in and in record time kicked P&O Australia's butt in its own waters.

Actually P&O have done an amazing job in the Australian market. They manage to charge more for their cruises while still filling their ships and having an massive expansion of size of the fleet within a few years. The fact that a cruise line within such a small market is getting a brand new ship is incredible and shows how well the line is going. There is only one competitor in the market. The others are not competitors, as they are owned by the exact same company. Competition is a good thing for everyone, even more cruise lines by the one company is good, as it gives more people experiences in cruising and while some may like some styles, they may like others. If they weren't doing well they wouldn't still be here. Their "game changers" was to do with the new style of the ships which is completely different to the other 3 P&O ships, and I am guessing those two ships where test runs for the new ships design.

Secondly how is Carnival Crop failing. I hardly see how P&O Aus, Costa and Princess booming says they are failing. These three lines have had a massive increase in size within the last few years. While almost the only ships the company have lost are ones that are too old to keep.

In regards to size 140 000 has been found to be the most profitable for cruise lines. Anything smaller and the cost of fuel and crew causes profits to go down, anything more and the ship being overly difficult to run, due to being too large. This is according to a few Royal Caribbean Officers (who help in the organisation of the line and not just the specific ship) on recent cruises.