PO Australia getting a new ship

Oh seriously!? The reaction from some people on here is ridiculous!...

Yes - you are quite correct

Those who take life too seriously are at the front of that line

Relax...take a deep breath - not everyone is going to be a cheer leader for P&O or agree with you all the time - these are open forums so people are able to express their views - provided they stay within the CC Forum guidelines

Sutho/Karateman...I find those remarks most disappointing, not all Aussies are Bogans.

The new ship is coming...and the crowd roars.

I didn't say they were! But if that is what you thought you must agree deep down.

You mentioned yourself in an above post what you didn't like about how P&O Australia changed the old Princess ships for the worst. I don't want to write an extended essay but it is for similar reasons I don't think Australia deserves a brand new ship.

I didn't say they were! But if that is what you thought you must agree deep down.

You mentioned yourself in an above post what you didn't like about how P&O Australia changed the old Princess ships for the worst. I don't want to write an extended essay but it is for similar reasons I don't think Australia deserves a brand new ship.

I think we do. Our money is just as good as other areas of the world.

Just I would have liked to see them keep it around about 3000 passengers max. That would be more suitable. But I guess big new shinny ships cost a lot of money . . .

This is from P&O's facebook page...

BREAKING NEWS: We're delighted to share the news that P&O Cruises begins 2016 with the fabulous news that it is to receive one of the four ‘newbuilds’ announced earlier today by Carnival Corporation. Together the cruise community in Australia has been looking forward to this moment for a long time as we make history by becoming the first cruise line to build a new ship specifically for the Australian market. The 135,500-tonne ship would be the biggest cruise ship ever to be based fulltime in Australia, carrying more than 4200 guests. Stay tuned everyone. There is more news to come.

She'll be 135,500 tonnes, so around the same size as a Voyager class ship (which take a maximum of 3900 to 4000 people with quad shares, etc).

Whilst on the subject of 'new ships', or might I say hand me downs. I was on Aurora/Oriana a few months ago, did the 'behind the scenes tour' on Oriana. More than one officer told me, Oriana could well come 'down under' in the next 3 to 5 years. She is not in great condition, unlike Aurora which had £20 million spent on her a year ago. Maybe they will do a like job on Oriana.

Oriana is a medium size ship, 69,000 tonnes, 1800 pax, well suited for the Australian cruise itineraries. I am sure Carnival could squeeze another couple of hundred bunks on her for OZ,as they do. Anyway another strong rumour to start the new year.

Edited by NSWP

This is from P&O's facebook page...

She'll be 135,500 tonnes, so around the same size as a Voyager class ship (which take a maximum of 3900 to 4000 people with quad shares, etc).

If she is being built by Fincanteri she will probably be the same class ship as Regal Princess/Royal Princess and Britannia.

And the crowd roars !!!

Fit a few more 'friendly 4 cabins' I expect, as they do. A disaster, theatres, public rooms, restaurants are designed and built for 1950 pax. Look what they did to Regal Princess on rebirth as Pacific Dawn, I have been on that ship under both names, overcrowded.

All about bodies on beds.

I am sorry, but the figures are incorrect. :) Here is the information on the Dawn Princess:

Dawn Princess Fact Sheet Guest Capacity: 1,998 lower berths

Besides the fact that the '1950' figure is incorrect, the number shown in the Princess brochure and on the internet (1998) is lower berths. This is usually the way the passenger capacity of a ship is quoted. I can guarantee that there are currently many upper berths on the Dawn Princess - just as there were on the Regal Princess before she went to P&O as Pacific Dawn.

I do not know if they are going to add a small number of extra upper berths to Dawn Princess. There only have to be 63 4-berth cabins (not new 4-berth cabins) to reach the quoted figure of 2250. Also keep in mind, that on any sailing there are many cabins not filled to capacity (solos in twin cabins and couples in four-berth cabins).

I am sorry, but the figures are incorrect. :) Here is the information on the Dawn Princess:

Besides the fact that the '1950' figure is incorrect, the number shown in the Princess brochure and on the internet (1998) is lower berths. This is usually the way the passenger capacity of a ship is quoted. I can guarantee that there are currently many upper berths on the Dawn Princess - just as there were on the Regal Princess before she went to P&O as Pacific Dawn.

I do not know if they are going to add a small number of extra upper berths to Dawn Princess. There only have to be 63 4-berth cabins (not new 4-berth cabins) to reach the quoted figure of 2250. Also keep in mind, that on any sailing there are many cabins not filled to capacity (solos in twin cabins and couples in four-berth cabins).

No worries with the 1950 v 1998, what's 48 bunks between CC friends?

Happy New Year to you.

The same argument happened when they announced Eden and Aria. It'll always happen Aus Traveller.

I thought Voyager of the Seas took 3,138 passengers and 1,181 crew.

Much like the discussion above, it's 3138 (which I believe is an outdated number from before they added cabins in the last refit) lower births. P&O always seem to quote their maximum capacity whenever they speak about pax numbers. The Voyager class can take over 3900 pax (which I think takes into account the new cabins).

Edited by Royalty X

The same argument happened when they announced Eden and Aria. It'll always happen Aus Traveller.

That's fine. But some people misunderstand the different way passenger numbers are being quoted (lower berths v passenger capacity) and then fear that a lot of extra beds will be added. It is simply a misunderstanding of the way the figures are quoted. :)

That's fine. But some people misunderstand the different way passenger numbers are being quoted (lower berths v passenger capacity) and then fear that a lot of extra beds will be added. It is simply a misunderstanding of the way the figures are quoted. :)

I know. :)

4,200 PAX (anyway you count it) doubt you'll see me on it.

Nor me Mr GUT. Been on a few too big ones, Celebrity Solstice, Ruby/Crown Princess, anything over 2000 muchas personas Senor'.

Happy New Year to you and Mrs GUT. May 2016 bring you many boarding passes.

And congrats on achieving the 10,000 club on CC in quick time. Uncle Les is a bit slack, only 7007 posts in just on 10 years.

Edited by NSWP

Checked building orders & it looks like the new ship, if it is in fact NEW - will be a sister to Carnival Vista due out in May 2016 from Fincantieri. 2nd due out 3/18 - so maybe the 3rd.

Carnival Vista 135000 grt. 3936 double occupancy - 1450 crew. L 322m x B 37m x D 8.2.

Station Pier Melbourne has a max. vessel draft alongside of 10.3 metres. This allows QM2 to use it at her 10.1 metres.

Nearly all the current & new blocks of flats on barges have around 8+ metres operating draft - less than little Titanic.

Checked building orders & it looks like the new ship, if it is in fact NEW - will be a sister to Carnival Vista due out in May 2016 from Fincantieri. 2nd due out 3/18 - so maybe the 3rd.

Carnival Vista 135000 grt. 3936 double occupancy - 1450 crew. L 322m x B 37m x D 8.2.

Station Pier Melbourne has a max. vessel draft alongside of 10.3 metres. This allows QM2 to use it at her 10.1 metres.

Nearly all the current & new blocks of flats on barges have around 8+ metres operating draft - less than little Titanic.

I was in Venice last year, passed the Fincanteri ship yard on a shorex to the vineyards, I saw a BIG ship getting built, think it was Costa, which is Carnival anyway.

Edited by NSWP

What great news that we Aussies will be allocated a NEW ship. Something many people have been almost demanding for some time now. I'm not going to knock P&O, they do have a few issues to work through but they also have a few years to lift their game before the new ship arrives. As for the passenger numbers, big ships seem to be working OK for Royal at the moment, no reason it won't work as well for P&O. So, lets all get together and encourage our "local" cruise company.

Steve.

Oh seriously!? The reaction from some people on here is ridiculous! This is such exciting news! Quit complaining! People have been crying out for this to happen for years! It'll be interesting to see if Royal Caribbean or NCL counter with something better...

I know. Laughable, isn't it. Lots of complaints that there are no new ships for P&O. Then when a new ship comes, still lots of complaints about other things.

Some people like to complain about certain situations, whatever the reason...

Steady on. I think people are all for a new ship but were just wondering how infrastructure and ports etc would cope with a ship so large.

Our region is more suited to the 2000-3000 tops.

Solstice, Voyager and Explorer have been operating here with higher numbers than that, for quite some time.

The passenger numbers on Voyager and Explorer is virtually the same as for this new build - yet I don't recall any big moans about RCL bringing those ships out.

Edited by The_Big_M

Me personally - I am a fan of them making smaller not larger ships.

I just dont want to travel with 4500 other people (especially if they have kids!) - and I dont want to see what a mess that makes of little islands like Bay of islands etc. That many people all at once. Shudder.

I would prefer to keep them under 1000 (or even under 500) and get to some more interesting islands. I mean seriously - the itineraries today out of Sydney are still identical to the ones I did in 1984!

I like to be able to cruise from Aus ports to save international airfares etc but there is only so many times you can "do the Pacific".

That's ok - it wasn't in the official press release but I believe P&O are planning on filling this ship with children who are wagging school and their doting parents or grand parents. Basically it will be a 4000 person kids club!

Should they reserve a space for you on it?

I burst out laughing after I read this so well said!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nor me Mr GUT. Been on a few too big ones, Celebrity Solstice, Ruby/Crown Princess, anything over 2000 muchas personas Senor'.

Happy New Year to you and Mrs GUT. May 2016 bring you many boarding passes.

And congrats on achieving the 10,000 club on CC in quick time. Uncle Les is a bit slack, only 7007 posts in just on 10 years.

Thanks Uncle Les nothing booked yet for 2016, but looking at a few.

10,000 comes from being restricted to bed a bit and boredom, something Gut doesn't handle too well.

Me personally - I am a fan of them making smaller not larger ships.

I just dont want to travel with 4500 other people (especially if they have kids!) - and I dont want to see what a mess that makes of little islands like Bay of islands etc. That many people all at once. Shudder.

I would prefer to keep them under 1000 (or even under 500) and get to some more interesting islands. I mean seriously - the itineraries today out of Sydney are still identical to the ones I did in 1984!

I like to be able to cruise from Aus ports to save international airfares etc but there is only so many times you can "do the Pacific".

we would love to see some of those 500-1000 PAX ships.