Favorite HAL cruise

Susie51

So many special cruises to all seven continents! It's hard to pick just one as a favorite. But a really great contender was the Top of the World cruise on the Prinsendam.

Sailed all the way to the tippity-top of Europe, then kept heading north, past the Svalbard Islands, and on to the Polar Ice Cap.

The polar ice was especially reduced that summer, and the Captain was about a half hour from giving up and turning back when we found it! The polar ice afloat on the sea. We were 500 miles from the North Pole. :D

That is exciting.

Love Venice, the Baltic on the Prinsendam, Antartica on the Prinsendam, the Top of the World on the Prinsendam and several other cruises that were mentioned. BUT my most favorite cruise has to be the "85-Day Africa Explorer Cruise" that we did in 2014. It was an absolutely awesome cruise.

I loved every cruise, but so far the standout has been Voyage of the Vikings - on the Eurodam in 2014. Iceland was so wonderful - like visiting another planet. That one also included a day cruising through Prince Christian Sund which is one of the most beautiful places I've seen so far.

I sail a lot solo, but this particular cruise I was sailing with my BFF and we were celebrating a very special birthday for her. We had such a great time!

The first favorite is the 14-day Alaska itinerary on the Amsterdam. We love Homer, the size of the ship, and have done this trip 3 times. I see it's on the schedule for 2017 on the Amsterdam so, if DH's health is stable, we'll be booking it.

Last year we had the Westerdam booked to Alaska. Then DH kept telling me he wanted to go to Skagway so finally I gave in and we booked Princess. We did the Crown July 4th and the Westerdam July 11th. Transferring between ships was a total of 25 minutes from "dinging" off the Crown until fully checked in and waiting to board the Westerdam. We had such a good time we're doing it again this summer!

Karen

We had this discussion at dinner on our most recent cruise :) DH was shocked when I named a specific Caribbean cruise as my favorite. 10-day S. Carib that we took a few years ago. It was as close to perfect as any I've been on :D

As for itinerary, any Alaska cruise that gets me to Sitka would be my favorite.

We had this discussion at dinner on our most recent cruise :) DH was shocked when I named a specific Caribbean cruise as my favorite. 10-day S. Carib that we took a few years ago. It was as close to perfect as any I've been on :D

As for itinerary, any Alaska cruise that gets me to Sitka would be my favorite.

We are going to Alaska in July and Sitka is on our itinerary. The other itinerary had Skagway. In your opinion, whats the main difference between the two towns?

Sent from my LGLS991

30 day Hawaii/South Pacific.

If I could have my druthers, would be on a Vista class ship, but is the best thing you can do for yourself.

You leave out of Southern Cali so you get there a few days early to hit some choice spots, have a few sea days until HI to develop a routine, then you have a few port days to shake up the sea day routine, then it is off to the South Pacific where tropical islands feel like how you imagine a tropical island should feel.

Just when you're "tired" of the tropical island feel (they can feel a little dated if you're into 1st world conveniences) you hit Tahiti and you're in what feels like Hono.

Then a bunch of sea days back to get ready to return to the real world.

I would do that cruise every year. While I have the accumulated vacation time, Karen doesn't (for now) and it'll be a few years until she has that # of vacation days.

Anyone wanna fill in? :D;)

The best overall, which includes the ship, was our Canada/NE cruise on Eurdam.

Norway was incredible but the Rotterdam was the worst part actually.

This made me laugh because our favorite cruise was the Baltic in 2003(?) on the old Noordam when the engine caught fire in Arhaus, Denmark, our last port. We had to be evacuated at 4am and it was chaotic trying to get on the buses. Not one of HAL's finer moments. However, the ports and the excursions were awesome. We especially loved the excursion into Moscow aboard a very old Soviet plane that had bald tires. That was an experience!

I have loved every single cruise we have taken, but the only ones I can repeat over and over, are ones to the Med. So I guess that has to be my favourite, whichever the ship! Most of the others I can say, "I really enjoyed it, but I don't need to do it again."

Antarctica on the Zaandam has to be favorite, have done it twice. But also loved top of the world and polar ice cap. So blessed to go places so few people have had the opportunity to see. Love the longer cruises with the excellent speakers that HAL brings onboard as well!

We are going to Alaska in July and Sitka is on our itinerary. The other itinerary had Skagway. In your opinion, whats the main difference between the two towns?

Sent from my LGLS991

We've done both Skagway and Sitka. Sitka wins hands down as one of our favorite ports. For us it's because it's unspoiled. There are no Diamonds International, Alaska T-Shirt shops, etc. It's as close, on a 7 day cruise, that you'll get to a "real" Alaska town. The totem park is awesome, easy to walk to from the tender pier, and handicapped accessible.

You do have to tender in at Sitka and you dock at Skagway. Skagway isn't as commercial as where the cruise ships dock in Juneau and Ketchikan, but it's still more than Sitka.

Karen

Our 21 day Mediterranean Cruise on The Nieuw Amsterdam collectors cruise Barcelona to Venice and back in 2013!!!!! That was our 4th cruise on her then! That has to be our fav so far! Been on other cruises since on HAL. Now we will be on Eurodam doing same cruise in Med in Oct. 2016! I bet I will say that is our best!

Denise:)

My best cruise will always be the next one.

Hope springs eternal :)

Good thought! :) Next one is a ship new to me, Noordam, and new territory - Oz & NZ. Can't wait.

But sailing out of Venice was awesome, on a Med cruise, and I loved Santorini and Mykonos and Turkey - oh wait, that was on my one Princess cruise. On HAL, it has to be the Baltic cruise - loved Helsinki. Least favorite, Oosterdam Mexican Riviera, hated the ship from the getgo, then got sick and was quarantined - missed 2 of 3 ports.

49 day "Passage to the Far East" - Singapore to Rotterdam on the Rotterdam. We hit some amazing ports that we would be unlikely to see on independent land travel. Of course, outstanding itineraries are one of the main reasons we choose HAL. Loved the variety, the warm temperatures, the interesting speakers, new friends and Buddy, at the piano bar. But what's with that "fish pond" on the back deck?

Of course, no one ever forgets their "first". The Baltic is where we got hooked on cruising. Not one negative thing to say about that trip.