Life jacket or water wings in pool

DEL871082

Hello,

We will be bringing our six year old son on the Silhouette in March. It is his first cruise and he thinks we are just going to Florida (which is already SO EXCITING to him), but we plan to "go check out the cruise ships and watch one leave" and surprise him by getting on!

Anyway, my question is whether there would be any issue with putting him in water wings or a life jacket to swim in the pool so I don't have to be right in with him? He's not a strong swimmer (he CAN swim but not well enough that I'd let him in alone otherwise) so of course, I would still be supervising him closely from the side, but I know he will want to be in the pool a long longer and more often than I would. When we go to a family cottage, he puts on a life jacket or water wings and swims around for hours.

I assume that because there is no lifeguard and each person is responsible for his or her own safety and that of any child, there isn't a swim test or similar that he'd have to pass before he can be in the pool with me on the side... ?

I would be definitely in the pool with him. Unless the ship is in port there is always some sloshing of the pool water that makes swimming a bit more challenging. No swim test required but also no children's pool available. Lots of people always about makes things more difficult.

Not able to give current rules regarding a life jacket, but would not suggest floaties as they simply put are not safe and come off easily. Different situation here as hundreds and hundreds of others.

The family pool is shallower than the sports pool. He should be fine in there to stand. Water wings would be fine, but you should always stay close because accidents can always happen.

Have a great

Edited by chessbriar

Yes, you may use your own lifejacket or water wings. But...you still need to be watching him ALL THE TIME. No lifeguards, you know! You don't need to be standing there, holding his hand, but do be close enough to watch your child...no one else will do that!

Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to answer my question.

Yes, you may use your own lifejacket or water wings. But...you still need to be watching him ALL THE TIME. No lifeguards, you know! You don't need to be standing there, holding his hand, but do be close enough to watch your child...no one else will do that!

Yes, this is exactly what I'm planning on doing. As I said, he will want to be IN the pool and I plan to sit/stand on the side watching him. If it's too crowded, I'll be in with him. He will not be out of my sight, and will have my undivided attention.

He can swim, just not laps and laps of pool, which is why I'm okay with water wings as a help - I don't use them on kids who can't swim independently because I agree, they're dangerous in that case.

Throw the water wings away. They are dangerous. Stay with your kid.

Water wings are frowned upon at most pools. Our private pool does not allow them for good reason. I have seen parents put water wings or life jackets on and head to the bar. A false sense of safety. Luckily, there have been attentive adults in the area to rescue. We have rescued several times!

Water wings are indeed dangerous, if they are your preferred floatation device I would go with a puddle jumper, same concept, much safer. The motion can be a problem too making the water in the pool unpredictable. If he needs the floatation help I would have him wear something even if you are right there I the pool with him.

Edited by Zeta3

Water wings are frowned upon at most pools. Our private pool does not allow them for good reason. I have seen parents put water wings or life jackets on and head to the bar. A false sense of safety. Luckily, there have been attentive adults in the area to rescue. We have rescued several times!

Yes, I certainly agree that water wings are not to be used in place of close and vigilant supervision by a responsible adult. I would never leave him to go to the bar or bathroom. I intend to watch him at all times - just want to stay dry while doing it!

Water wings are indeed dangerous, if they are your preferred floatation device I would go with a puddle jumper, same concept, much safer. The motion can be a problem too making the water in the pool unpredictable. If he needs the floatation help I would have him wear something even if you are right there I the pool with him.

He doesn't technically need them for flotation. He can swim independently, but tires fairly quickly, so for long swims he likes to have the water wings or a life jacket so he can use less energy and swim for longer.

The puddle jumper may be to babyish for his liking.

If it's very crowded or too wavy, I'll be in at his side.

Thanks for your reply!

I don't know what the drama is about "flotation devices" if you are there supervising. You say your youngster can swim so should have little issue getting to the side of the pool regardless what pool he is in. They are not big pools. A thing to be aware of is that no everyone on board is understanding of little people so if the pool starts filling up be extra careful. The deeper of the ships pols is the one normally associated with more boisterous activities.

I remember years ago sitting on the side of the pool and bouncing my daughter on my legs while she was in the water...good exercise for my thunder thighs.;) Either her dad or I were within easy reach when in the water on those summer cruises.

Altho she was in standing depth, I felt a little uneasy when the older kids played rougher near her. I remember her getting accidently kicked so hard from a hefty little guy that she was bruised within a couple hours. Some parents do think everyone else is watching their kids. And those kids sometimes had me biting my tongue. Just depends on the group in the pool.

Have a wonderful time!!

First of all mom, not trying to be mean, at 6 your child should know how to swim like a fish. My children and grandchildren all had Red Cross training. If you can afford a cruise, you can afford lessons. Ok now that I have that off my chest, Coast Guard approved life jackets ONLY. Some of the PRETTY character ones when put on can flip over. Water wings never, throw them away.

Finally, please make sure you watch your child at all times as I wear a headset and listen to music, people watch and looking after your child is now on my list of activities.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope I did not upset you, however, being from Coastal cities, I have seen many children drown while mom was reading. God Bless!

In the past 5 years there have been several drownings and near drownings in cruise ship pools. In one well publicized case a grandparent took their eyes off a child for just a few moments and they later found the child at the bottom of the pool! Does this mean that an adult needs to be in a pool with a child at every moment. No. But it does mean being very close to the pool and never (and we mean never) taking your eyes off your child.

Hank

I don't know what the drama is about "flotation devices" if you are there supervising. You say your youngster can swim so should have little issue getting to the side of the pool regardless what pool he is in. They are not big pools. A thing to be aware of is that no everyone on board is understanding of little people so if the pool starts filling up be extra careful. The deeper of the ships pols is the one normally associated with more boisterous activities.

This wouldn't be cruise critic unless there was drama

DEL871082,

I just wanted to say what a wonderful mom you are to surprise your little guy like that. I'm so excited for all of you, what a fun plan!

It does sound like delicious fun! I'm grinning from ear to ear just imagining his face. Have a wonderful time!

First of all mom, not trying to be mean, at 6 your child should know how to swim like a fish. My children and grandchildren all had Red Cross training. If you can afford a cruise, you can afford lessons. Ok now that I have that off my chest, Coast Guard approved life jackets ONLY. Some of the PRETTY character ones when put on can flip over. Water wings never, throw them away.

Finally, please make sure you watch your child at all times as I wear a headset and listen to music, people watch and looking after your child is now on my list of activities.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope I did not upset you, however, being from Coastal cities, I have seen many children drown while mom was reading. God Bless!

Hello! I'm not offended - in fact, he has been in swim lessons since he was a toddler and as I've stated above, he CAN swim. But he tires out quickly and if he's going to be in a pool for a long time, which is what he will want to do based on past pool experience, I'd prefer just a bit of help. Otherwise, I would want to be by his side in case he tired, but I really prefer not to be in water for that long.

He doesn't "swim like a fish", even with lessons. We are keeping at them but it's not his talent. He's quite lean and floating is HARD work for that little body!

And I totally agree, you can't be reading or anything else. This is not so that I don't have to watch him. I will have my undivided attention on him. I just want to stay dry!

Edited by DEL871082

On my last four Celebrity cruises, all different ships, children were restricted to the shallower pool.

And I totally agree, you can't be reading or anything else. This is not so that I don't have to watch him. I will have my undivided attention on him. I just want to stay dry!

That's just like me ... I always sat on the edge to watch my children. I still don't like to get wet! Especially my hair.

But - there was a thread (I think on Royal C) discussing the unfortunate drowning on Liberty last month. Of course it got very dramatic (this is Cruise Critiic) but I learned something about water wings - apparently if a small child wearing them gets in trouble, and they get underwater below the level of their water wings, they can't push themselves back up. Yikes! I mentioned that to my nephew's wife, who is a lifeguard (and they have small children)and she said they already knew about that.

So - lifejacket, not water wings.