Which iteneray?

tinkerbell1984

I am currently booked 02/11/17 on the Vista (Southern Car) however, upon release of the school calendar, they moved Feb break to the week after the norm. So I'm trying to explore my options from other cruisers and just seeking advice on the best route to take.

Here's my options if I stick to February 2017, which I'd like to do.

-----

#1. Change nothing. I could let the kids miss school for a week. I am not totally against this at all. It is added stress trying to get all the work and crossing fingers that the teacher is able to assist, cause she definitely doesn't have to. And we would also be limted to only miss 5 sick days cause the max is 10, excused or not.

We do want to go to NEW places and on a ship we haven't been on. Option #1 has/will cost around 3k and goes to Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Bonaire and Aruba....I have been to all of these before except Bonaire. But it's on a brand new ship and I get a wonderful cove balcony. We were really just going for the ship......Again, kids would miss school for this option only.

From my research, IF I change my dates, I lose $150 (not a huge deal) of the $900 dep I have paid (early saver). The remaining $750 (which will be the deposit amount for the new cruise) can NOT be my deposit for the new cruise. It will be a credit towards the balance and I will have to pay an additional $750 at booking as a deposit.

-----

Opt #2 Carnival Magic: I would be able to keep my lovely cove balcony. It is going to Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay, Belize and Cozumel. I have already been to Belize and Cozumel and did not care for them both. I am also going to Cozumel again this February. Costa Maya and I think Mahogany Bay will be new places. Total Cost $2200.23 -- cheapest option, even with losing the $150, also a bonus.

-----

Opt #3 Carnival Fascination: I have cruised a sister ship and was not pleased. It goes to St. Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts and St Maarten. We have been to St Thomas and St Maarten, both which are nice and I'm more than willing to go to St Thomas and take a ferry to St John, where I've never been. So technically, this will take me to 4 new places. Downside, or I guess and Up/Down Side, lol, it departs from San Juan. That. Would. Be. Wonderful. Fly in a day early and really explore San Juan. I have only been once and have wanted to go back every since. So what's the down? I'd have to get an inside cabin, no balcony, maybe could pull an ocean view, because I'd have to buy plane tickets, cab and hotel. The inside room is cheap, only $1465.32. But with everything else we are looking at adding on another $1500 - $2000. Which is about the price of Opt 1.

What would you do personally in the situation?

You didn't mention how old the kids are, but with that being said, definitely would save their missed school days one never knows what happens, whether they catch something that keep them out of school for a week.

The Fascination has the better itinerary but I always say its not the ports its the ship your on pretty much most of the time AND the Fascination does not have all the bells and whistles, I believe the kids be quite board and the fact you didn't care for that class of ship and you have to fly to San Juan and have the additional cost and not a balcony cabin either.

Magic is my advice and she also goes into dry dock this coming february and having the additional bells and whistles added to her and on top of things its less costly!

I am currently booked 02/11/17 on the Vista (Southern Car) however, upon release of the school calendar, they moved Feb break to the week after the norm. So I'm trying to explore my options from other cruisers and just seeking advice on the best route to take.

-----

#1. Change nothing. I could let the kids miss school for a week. I am not totally against this at all. It is added stress trying to get all the work and crossing fingers that the teacher is able to assist, cause she definitely doesn't have to. And we would also be limted to only miss 5 sick days cause the max is 10, excused or not.

We do want to go to NEW places and on a ship we haven't been on. Option #1 has/will cost around 3k and goes to Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Bonaire and Aruba....I have been to all of these before except Bonaire. But it's on a brand new ship and I get a wonderful cove balcony. We were really just going for the ship......Again, kids would miss school for this option only.

From my research, IF I change my dates, I lose $150 (not a huge deal) of the $900 dep I have paid (early saver). The remaining $750 (which will be the deposit amount for the new cruise) can NOT be my deposit for the new cruise. It will be a credit towards the balance and I will have to pay an additional $750 at booking as a deposit.

-----

Opt #2 Carnival Magic: I would be able to keep my lovely cove balcony. It is going to Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay, Belize and Cozumel. I have already been to Belize and Cozumel and did not care for them both. I am also going to Cozumel again this February. Costa Maya and I think Mahogany Bay will be new places. Total Cost $2200.23 -- cheapest option, even with losing the $150, also a bonus.

-----

Opt #3 Carnival Fascination: I have cruised a sister ship and was not pleased. It goes to St. Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts and St Maarten. We have been to St Thomas and St Maarten, both which are nice and I'm more than willing to go to St Thomas and take a ferry to St John, where I've never been. So technically, this will take me to 4 new places. Downside, or I guess and Up/Down Side, lol, it departs from San Juan. That. Would. Be. Wonderful. Fly in a day early and really explore San Juan. I have only been once and have wanted to go back every since. So what's the down? I'd have to get an inside cabin, no balcony, maybe could pull an ocean view, because I'd have to buy plane tickets, cab and hotel. The inside room is cheap, only $1465.32. But with everything else we are looking at adding on another $1500 - $2000. Which is about the price of Opt 1.

In this situation, my personal opinion would be choice #3...Fascination out of San Juan. We were going to do a land vacation this year but DH gave me three other options, all cruises, to choose from. All had similar itineraries as the three options you listed. My mind was made up then, the southern itinerary out of San Juan. This is, hands down, our favorite itinerary.

We've been on 7 cruises, the most recent this past September. We've now done two western Caribbean itineraries; 1 eastern Caribbean; 1 Mexican Riviera; 3 southern itineraries out of San Juan, the two most recent were the same itinerary you're looking at on Fascination. First was on Valor in 2013, and again, this past September on Liberty. To us, this is the most scenic itinerary that Carnival offers. These islands are all mountainous but have beautiful beaches, yet each are very different. There is so much to see and do in each and many of them are small enough that you can wing it either by taxi to a beach or a local tours offered for great prices at port. I would recommend an actual tour in St. Lucia though, since most of the major sights are an hour and a half away by taxi. Carnival has some good options and there are some very good local tour companies that provide an excellent day. We've gone through the same local tour group, both times, and had a very enjoyable experience each time.

I know that the Fascination is an older and smaller ship, but with this itinerary, the "star" of the show is the itinerary and not the ship.

Since San Juan is a US Territory, it's just like flying into any other airport in the United States. The only difference is the flight back where you'll have to go through the agricultural inspection as soon as you get into the airport before checking in for your flight. That's very easy though, just put all of your luggage (including carry-on; personal items) on a conveyor belt that takes it through an x-ray (I'm guessing it's an x-ray). They are looking for fruits and plant items, which can't be brought into the US. We've never had a problem.

On our past two cruises (Valor and Liberty), we flew in a day early and spent the first afternoon relaxing and enjoying the hotel beach. The day we board, we've checked in around noon and gotten back off the ship and spent the day in San Juan, enjoying the forts and Old San Juan. Since the ship doesn't leave until 10:00PM, you don't have to be back on board until 8:30PM.

If option #3 is the same cruise that I'm going on next year (and I think it is), you will have 6 ports and only 1 sea day. So, not a lot of time on the actual ship. On a port intensive cruise such as this, to me, the ship doesn't matter.

Myself, I was just faced with a similar decision when it came to this cruise. I was originally booked in an aft wrap on the Glory, going to Belize, Roatan, Cozumel and Grand Cayman (only two new ports for me). Switching to the Southern meant having to book a cheaper room in order to offset the higher cost plane tickets. We are now in a port hole interior for more that $1K less. But, I can live with the for better ports (all are new to me on this cruise). And, like I said, we won't be on the ship much anyway.

So, bottom line, what's more important to you? Ship or itinerary? And how much time will you actually be on the boat, and in your room, anyway?

Lastly, I would not recommend taking your kids out of school for a whole week. School is stressful enough for kids. They don't need the added pressure that they will face to have to make up work, not to mention the fact that they will feel lost when they come back after having missed a whole week. Plus, I really don't think it's fair to the teacher to have to have him or her produce a week's worth of work for you kids ahead of time. They work hard enough as it is. Just my opinion.

Anyway, good luck! And let us know what you decide.

Edited by bakersdozen12

I must be old fashioned, because I don't believe or have my children ever been taken out of school for a vacation, I felt, I had enough time to choose when to travel when they were off school....christmas recess, winter recess when it was available, summer recess and spring recess. If you take your children out of school for a vacation, they don't learn the word responsibility...they are only responsible at that age for one thing and that is to do as best as they can do in school. Taking them out could mean they missing exams, work that needs to be done during the recess, projects that may be due when they get back and I feel your 10 year old may be experiencing one of these at that grade level. Some schools in some states have them read a book during recess and when they get back they have work to do or tests to take regarding what they read.

With four people in one cabin, it is more comfortable to have that balcony, that outdoor space. You can always go on the Vista next year or the year after that and the cost should be less also.

The Magic offers the children more to do such as a better and larger waterparks and the rope course mini golf as well to the multi sport court.

Now, if food is very important to you where you really don't eat fast food types the Vista does offer a lot more variety, for this is the one and only reason I would say choose option 1 but I don't believe in taking children out of school....the 7 year old wouldn't be much of an issue but for the 10 year old it could cause issues. But the most important thing that you said, is there is a limit to the amount of days they can be out of school....as an adult and parent we have to take these things into consideration because children do get sick and there are things out there in these days that take longer to get over.

Hi Tickerbell1984,

I feel you pain regarding the winter break not being the week of 2/11. The same thing for us. There were a couple of different cruises that we were looking at for that week only to find out that winter break is a week later in 2017. Personal we would not keep the kids out of school and would change cruises. Some options;

1) Fascination: This is the best itinerary. We are taking this same cruise this February on the Liberty. Regarding the flights, if you can fly Southwest, they have good deals to San Juan. You can also open a Southwest credit card and get 50K in points when you spend $3K. We ended up with enough points to pay for 4 round trip tickets. We also opened an IHG card and received 60K in points and got 2 nights hotel free.

2) Magic: Great ship and it will be coming out of dry dock. We are actually looking at this same cruise and a cove balcony for the same week.

3) Glory: Itinerary is Grand Turk, Amber Cove, St. Thomas, and San Juan. We are also looking at this cruise for the week of 2/18/17. It sails from Miami. We really want to go to Amber Cove but have sailed the Glory twice.

Good luck choosing.

Another thing to consider if you choose Fascination:

What shore excursions would you choose....do you feel a port each day and sightseeing each day be too much for your youngest one?

I also feel they are very young to even remember the islands, perhaps waiting for next year or the one afterwards be better for them?

You would choose an inside cabin, it be less room, its nice to have that balcony for extra room not to mention to having the island views when you wake up and when you are in port.

I remain to say the Magic is your best option, better ship than the Fascination more for the kids to do and more food options...kids not have to be taken out of school, you will have a cove balcony and its cheaper.

In our district, you can get an independent study contract if you miss 5 or more days of school. The kids complete the missed work on their own, and They are not counted absent. The school still gets their funding.

We took the kids out for a week and they made up the work. That school year, they received their "perfect attendance award"' despite being out for an entire week on a cruise.

I'm not sure if all districts offer this or not.

Stay with your original choice, don't overthink things. If you weren't comfortable with it, you wouldn't have picked it. Sure, the school time off changed, but adjust to that instead of rearranging your entire vacation with second and third lesser choices.

Choice #1 best!

Edited by evandbob

-----

-----

-----

Hello, IMOP I would take the kids out of school, work with their teachers on the projects that need to be done and enjoy the new ship. Good Luck! :)

We have taken our kids out of school for vacation. They were sophomores in highschool when we last did it. They are good students and it's really not that big of a deal. They made up the work upon return; They were of course old enough to handle this themselves but I didn't hear a peep from the school.

I'd stick with option 1. I can't wait for the Vista!

I would keep the kids out of school. You are the parents, and I hate when the school thinks they can "dictate" what you do with YOUR kids. We have pulled DD out of school for a few vacations, and NEVER had any issues from the school or her teachers. She is now a junior in HS with a 3.5GPA.

With that being said, I would be thrilled to be getting on Vista during her inaugural year.....However, I am DYING to do the San Juan route, but I am so upset that Carnival chose the Fascination to do it. As others have said, it would have to be all about the itinerary and NOT the ship. After cruising twice on the Breeze, most recently, I feel like it's going to be a huge letdown.

Take them out of school and go on the Vista.:D:D She looks AMAZING!

P.S. Our school district changed our April vacation to a week earlier. Needless to say there were ALOT of upset parents that had booked non-refundable vacations. Another reason to go off on the BOE.:D

Oh my goodness! Just noticed my horrible typo in the title! That's what trying to post all that from a phone during a New Years Day get together will do. :rolleyes: My problem isn't so much them missing school as it is #1 the stress I'll do to myself and #2 the fact that they will be out of school for break the following week, being out of school for 2 weeks, and me having to handle child care for that week because I'll have to go back to work and they will still be out of school a week!

So, bottom line, what's more important to you? Ship or itinerary? And how much time will you actually be on the boat, and in your room, anyway?

It just depends! I am getting to where itinerary matters more b/c my kids are older now and there is so much I want to see! We cruise Royals Oasis class for ship only though, but really, I think we'll be okay as long as there is a waterworks!

Hi Tickerbell1984,

I feel you pain regarding the winter break not being the week of 2/11. The same thing for us. There were a couple of different cruises that we were looking at for that week only to find out that winter break is a week later in 2017.

We are in GA too! LoL, they switched our calendar to a shorter summer, so I guess they moved the other breaks to even things out, I'm not sure. October break is earlier, Feb is later. :(

3) Glory: Itinerary is Grand Turk, Amber Cove, St. Thomas, and San Juan. We are also looking at this cruise for the week of 2/18/17. It sails from Miami. We really want to go to Amber Cove but have sailed the Glory twice.

If this was offered on a ship with waterworks, we'd totally do it, no questions. We don't like to Glory class ships because there isn't that extra area for the kids. It seems like all ships are going Southern or Western during our break except for the Glory and I think Conquest and other similar ones.

What shore excursions would you choose....do you feel a port each day and sightseeing each day be too much for your youngest one?

LoL, not too much for them, they are use to traveling!

In our district, you can get an independent study contract if you miss 5 or more days of school. The kids complete the missed work on their own, and They are not counted absent. The school still gets their funding.

This isn't an option in our district. You are allowed 10 absences MAX whether excused or not before truancy is involved. :(

I would also compare airfares. We have found flights to San Juan to be significantly more than Florida. We love San Juan but the extra cost can mount up.

We don't have to fly to Florida, we would drive as far as Miami. But the added airfare to San Juan is why we would have to have the interior room. We are use to them though and have cruised with them multiple times.

Agreed. It depends on the student, but if your child doesn't struggle with school they will likely be fine. My daughter graduated last year with 3.86 GPA non weighted and she had been pulled out for several vacations. 7 yr old and 10 yr are probably at a less stressful period of school as well. You can communicate with the school prior and get work ahead of time where they can work on an assignment couple hours a day or whatever while on vaca and it won't be bad at all. I believe most schools also give you two days for every one day missed to make up work.

I would keep the kids out of school. You are the parents, and I hate when the school thinks they can "dictate" what you do with YOUR kids.

Maybe it's because I don't have kids, but I totally agree with this. It should be up to the parents if/when their kids miss school, and the schools are getting too power hungry about what they can dictate.

Another thing...is it possible that your kids may learn more on the vacation than they would at school? Real life experience at experiencing different cultures versus sitting in a classroom.

If you do change your cruise, I would go for the southern itinerary. San Juan is great, and like you said, you can go a day early and really explore. More learning experiences for your kids as well. And the islands on the southern itinerary are among the best.