Will NCL charge you for a stay on board after a mid ocean rescue?

FreestyleNovice

Having read the following story of a mid ocean rescue and pick up of two sea men;

Braemar in mid Atlantic yacht rescue/

I wondered if there would be any charge or agreement made with the sea men going on board the cruise ship that rescued them. Or would they be "confined" to crew mess and facilities? And/or checking in with Guest Services for an on board account? After all they're are staying on board longer than life saving necessary?

Not disputing the SOLAS/requirement to help each other out at sea but just wondering how lucky you would be to be picked up by a modern cruise ship instead of a run down foreign freighter..

Edited by FreestyleNovice
edit: thread title had to match my home board ;)

From what I've seen and read, it seems that any rescued persons are confined to non guest areas.

They are fed and watered. But still considered a security risk so are monitored until it is convenient to pass them to the coast guard.

I'm not aware of any monetary compensation for the cruise line as it is their duty to aid in rescue.

They might be able to get some money for the service, not sure who from though.

From what I've seen and read, it seems that any rescued persons are confined to non guest areas.

They are fed and watered. But still considered a security risk so are monitored until it is convenient to pass them to the coast guard.

I'm not aware of any monetary compensation for the cruise line as it is their duty to aid in rescue.

Sure the food and water are provided, but what about service charges and/or tips?:D

My guess it, like always in life, depends who it is. If they rescue some Syrian refugees probably but if they rescue one of those solo sailing around the world people with a large social media following I am certain they will use that chance in their favor.

International law governing free use of the seas mandates vessels come to the rescue of those stranded in any ocean, sea, etc.

While I do not know with certainty, I would think any fee for food and accommodation(s) would either be waived or billed to the rescued party(s), their government or paid by any existing international fund established for this purpose.

While if might sound callous, there is, most assuredly, a business element to such a rescue. Fuel, medical, provisions and any charges the vessel incurs based on lost time, altered itinerary et al.

This is an interesting topic. I am hoping that anybody who might have definitive information will share it.

Sure the food and water are provided, but what about service charges and/or tips?:D

18% added to their onboard account, for their convenience of course....whoa, they wouldn't have an onboard account so cash on this occasion!!

But if they choose to eat at the specialty restaurants they will have to pay and also have to pay the daily service charge for thee number of days on board. :D

Under Maritime Law, the rescued person is offered medical attention, food and safe passage to the next available port that has been registered with the rescuing ships itinerary. They would be confined to either the ship's medical center or the brig. They would not be allowed to interact with anyone on the ship except those crewman that are assigned to handle this type of at-sea emergency. If there were severe medical issues, the rescued person would be financially responsible for all bills.

Also, if the rescued person had completely abandoned their boat/ship at the time of rescue, the rescuing party has salvage rights to their vessel. If the rescuing party do not decide to salvage the boat/ship, anyone can then salvage the vessel.

Also, given that most rescuees are refugees etc, by the time they are rescued there are often issues of dehydration, malnutrition, and their diet will be handled accordingly.

In the event someone with resources is picked up, the cruise lines do have the option of requesting reimbursement either from them or their insurance, whether they do or not is situational.

Also, if the rescued person had completely abandoned their boat/ship at the time of rescue, the rescuing party has salvage rights to their vessel. If the rescuing party do not decide to salvage the boat/ship, anyone can then salvage the vessel.

Yep, the cruise line can have their boat. As far as I know that is the only compensation that can be compelled from the rescued party for plucking them out of the sea and saving their lives. The cruise line is compelled to pick them up though, if they are the nearest party and can render assistance when no one else can.

Yep, the cruise line can have their boat. As far as I know that is the only compensation that can be compelled from the rescued party for plucking them out of the sea and saving their lives. The cruise line is compelled to pick them up though, if they are the nearest party and can render assistance when no one else can.

lol :D