Norwegian Dawn, New England, Canada in Sept

concho5

This is going to be our first cruise, we want to cruise ST Lawrence Seaway and coast line. Is it better to start in Quebec City or start in Boston? The ports are different. From Boston, you see Portland, Halifax , PEI,Gaspie, La Baie.

From Q City, you stop at Sydney, Halifax, St Johns, NB, and Bar Harbour.

You've got a tough decision to make. I loved Boston (give yourself a day to explore prior to the cruise). But I also would hate to miss Newfoundland..

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will have a great time. I'm not sure where you are coming from; but the East Coast of Canada is one of the friendliest places in the world (spoken with some bias as I was born in Nova Scotia).

Cheers,

Sandra

This is going to be our first cruise, we want to cruise ST Lawrence Seaway and coast line. Is it better to start in Quebec City or start in Boston? The ports are different. From Boston, you see Portland, Halifax , PEI,Gaspie, La Baie.

Hello, I live on the East Coast of Canada just outside Halifax. If I had to choose between the two itineraries I personally would pick the north bound voyage. Simply because the ports of call interest me more than the southbound. Gaspe is a small, remote town on the northern tip of the Gaspe Peninsula where the St Lawrence meets the Gulf of St Lawrence. A very Beautiful area. Google Gaspe and you will see the beauty I am referencing and a lot more. But you may see merit in some the ports on the other sailing.

fyi...it is St John, NB and St John's, NFLD. Residents from both cities are sensitive to this common error. So if you choose the southbound itinerary, be careful...;):D

Another vote from an Atlantic Canadian in favour of the route beginning in Boston. Definitely take a day or two pre-cruise to explore Boston if you are able to do so. You can't go wrong with either route, so you'll have a great trip regardless!

We took the Northbound cruise last September. We stayed a few days in Boston and had a great time. We stayed in Quebec for a day or two then rented a car in and drove back to Nova Scotia for a week or so. I cannot comment on the southbound cruise as we have not taken it as of yet.

Be careful you are NOT going to St John's (Newfoundland)you would be going to St John (New Brunswick).

Pity you can't do both directions, we did and enjoyed the 14 days tremendously.

I think we would choose northbound if we had to choose. However find out the excursions you want to do, that might sway your decision.

Whichever you do have time in both cities before and after the cruise, we missed out on time in Boston as we started and finished in Quebec. Starting in Quebec was great as we has an overnight there on the boat so took a tour. That set us up with places to return to when we had 3 days there after the cruise.

Our bucket list included lunch in the Chateau Frontenac, not disappointed.

Mike

Wow, you do have a tough choice. In Sept 2014 we did a 14 day RT Boston, so we overnighted in Quebec City (on the ship) and all those ports were on our itinerary (couldn't get into 2 due to a late season hurricane but we'd seen them before). I have no doubt we'll do another Canada/NE cruise, really no bad choice between the two IF you may go back someday.

Both homeports equally fun and interesting. On our last cruise to this area (the 14 day) our favorite two ports were Charlottetown, PEI and Bar Harbor.

Every cruise to this area will include Halifax. Our least favorite port for these cruises has always been Sidney. Bay of Fundy stood out as interesting.

I believe someone else mentioned you might want to consider which would be more affordable for your airfare. Yes, the St. Lawrence Seaway is a great place to cruise. Enoy

After you make the tough decision come back and sign on for the Roll Call for

that voyage. Find groups of other interesting folks doing things that may interest

you.

I am on the B2B - Boston Quebec Boston sailing 9/23 - 10/7

There is an earlier sailing of this B2B - each can be divided into 7 day trips.

There is one with an extension going to Bermuda and the finale is the ship

positioning to the Gulf of Mexico.

The later sailing is a bit more expensive than the earlier one.

The later B2B (Boston-Quebec 9/23-30) was suggested as the best viewing

for the fall colors but with the weather (global warming) it is any one's guess !

Of note Quebec City does not have the frequency of air service that Boston has.

Canada air fares may be more expensive.

From what I understand if going Quebec to Boston - you have your first night

lodging on the ship (no hotel required - READERS COMMENT).

Both of these cruises are very popular and in high demand don't wait too long

to book your reservation.

Also if this doesn't look so good check out the Canada New England sailings

out of NYC on the NCL GEM.

I could not make up my mind on NB or SB so I put the cruise off for a year and made it a RT.

I will also be on the 10/23-11/7 2016 cruise - I will be looking for you - don't use real name at he meet and greet :D

I think if I had to choose I would take the SB - You can get on the ship Fri and tour the town on Sat prior to the cruise. - then you can spend some post cruise time in Boston.

We are going to fly in on Wed, tour Boston Thurs, board the ship Fri. In Quebec we can tour both Fri and Sat (probably take a ships tour on Sat so they won't leave without us.) :D When we return to Bos there is a ship tour that takes a quick trip around the town and ends up at the airport.

If you want to avoid flying to Canada you can go to Boston, rent a car and drive to Quebec.

Chet, loved your photos, looks like you had great weather. We are hoping for the same. Did you get many comments on the Seahawks jersey? We are trying to come up with something to wear in Portland ME since we are from Portland OR.:D I don't think the Seahawk gear would go over very well in Boston :D

Looks like you rented a car most of the time - did you find that cost effective? and how did you know what you were looking at/for - did you have some kind of tour book?

After you make the tough decision come back and sign on for the Roll Call for

that voyage. Find groups of other interesting folks doing things that may interest

you.

I am on the B2B - Boston Quebec Boston sailing 9/23 - 10/7

There is an earlier sailing of this B2B - each can be divided into 7 day trips.

There is one with an extension going to Bermuda and the finale is the ship

positioning to the Gulf of Mexico.

The later sailing is a bit more expensive than the earlier one.

The later B2B (Boston-Quebec 9/23-30) was suggested as the best viewing

for the fall colors but with the weather (global warming) it is any one's guess !

Of note Quebec City does not have the frequency of air service that Boston has.

Canada air fares may be more expensive.

From what I understand if going Quebec to Boston - you have your first night

lodging on the ship (no hotel required - READERS COMMENT).

Both of these cruises are very popular and in high demand don't wait too long

to book your reservation.

Also if this doesn't look so good check out the Canada New England sailings

out of NYC on the NCL GEM.

Or Celebrity Summit out of New York. We're looking for 2017 and having a hard job deciding between Dawn b2b or Summit. Dawn lets us spend time in Boston first, then maybe on to NYC for a few days after before flying home; Summit would be time in Boston, then time in NYC then cruise and fly home. Guess the main difference would be more ports on Dawn versus more sea days on Summit.

There are other options - one that I considered was the RCL "Serenade of the Seas sailing out of Boston on Sep 18 a 7 day close loop route.

Right on the NCL DAWN gets the most ports and bang for buck which is the perfect mix for me.

If I want sea days I would take a TATL cruise - so what is it gonna be ?

More port less sea or more sea and less port - I'll take the port drinking route ! LOL !

Chet, loved your photos, looks like you had great weather. We are hoping for the same. Did you get many comments on the Seahawks jersey? We are trying to come up with something to wear in Portland ME since we are from Portland OR.:D I don't think the Seahawk gear would go over very well in Boston :D

Looks like you rented a car most of the time - did you find that cost effective? and how did you know what you were looking at/for - did you have some kind of tour book?

There was a lady on our meet and mengle group from Sydney Aus that booked most of our trips. We were in groups of 6 most of the time. The price was about half of what the ship wanted and we were able to go places the ship big bus could not go. Love the ship tour of Boston after the cruise and it droped us off at the airport. The float plane was a blast and we did that when we got off the ship 1/2 hour ride for 1 to 4 people at a cost of $300.00. Just me and my son went. Glad you like the pics.

I wish that NCL would make the Dawn's Boston-Canada cruise a round trip. Having to fend for ourselves, returning from Canada would be inconvenient, and booking the return as a B2B, very expensive.

RCL's Serenade of the Seas does a closed loop round trip from Boston, which we're thinking about.

I wish that NCL would make the Dawn's Boston-Canada cruise a round trip. Having to fend for ourselves, returning from Canada would be inconvenient, and booking the return as a B2B, very expensive.

RCL's Serenade of the Seas does a closed loop round trip from Boston, which we're thinking about.

They do sell it in the UK as either two 7 day one way itineraries, or one 14 day round trip. But price for 14 day is simply both one way trips added together, in other words back to back. You can't expect a round trip covering all those ports to take much less time/days so it will never be cheap. Serenade doesn't do the longer itineraries as far as I remember. If you compare like with like say, 14 day round trip on Celebrity Summit against 14 day b2b on Dawn the cost is very similar.

There are other options - one that I considered was the RCL "Serenade of the Seas sailing out of Boston on Sep 18 a 7 day close loop route.

Right on the NCL DAWN gets the most ports and bang for buck which is the perfect mix for me.

If I want sea days I would take a TATL cruise - so what is it gonna be ?

More port less sea or more sea and less port - I'll take the port drinking route ! LOL !

If it's just drinking your after, Dawn is currently being sold with a UBP in the UK, so no need to go ashore! Lol.

• 2 weeks later...

To Concho5

As Don't Use Real Name mentioned - there are NCL Dawn roll call threads already in place here on Cruise Critic for the 9/23 cruise and also for the 9/30 cruise....so when you decide....or even before you decide..... you might want to pop in to both and see what is being discussed.

To Bonvoyagie:

You mentioned being on :

"the 10/23-11/7 2016 cruise" Are these the correct dates? Just curious, as I did not see a cruise this late in the year.

Anyway.... Hope to see lots of people posting either on the 9/23 or 9/30 threads!!!

We sailed the Saguenay Fjord a number of times on HAL's Maasdam and always did b-to-b, Boston to Montreal and back to Boston. We far more enjoyed Saguenay on the north bound itinerary than on the south bound. We also saw beluga whales. :)

On our cruises, when we got to the famous Statue of the Madonna was wonderful. The ship would stop, they would play Ave Maria over the speaker system, the Captain would turn the ship so those on the other side got a great view and every time we went it was a different experience. All were beautiful (to my eyes) and different given whatever the weather conditions. If cloudy, rainy, sunny etc

Edited by sail7seas

To Concho5

As Don't Use Real Name mentioned - there are NCL Dawn roll call threads already in place here on Cruise Critic for the 9/23 cruise and also for the 9/30 cruise....so when you decide....or even before you decide..... you might want to pop in to both and see what is being discussed.

To Bonvoyagie:

You mentioned being on :

"the 10/23-11/7 2016 cruise" Are these the correct dates? Just curious, as I did not see a cruise this late in the year.

Anyway.... Hope to see lots of people posting either on the 9/23 or 9/30 threads!!!

Note - I took it as being on our B2B sequence since they will be looking for me.

I will also be on the 10/23-11/7 2016 cruise - I will be looking for you - don't use real name at he meet and greet

Simple date mix-up I presume.

As of now getting real close to the minimum threshold of numbers to host the

M&G. Like to start with 40 building up to 60 in attendance. I had one where

the crew outnumbered the guests - touché embarrassing but the crew noted

that these things happen actually worked out for the better in that more personal

time was spent asking/answering detailed questions.

Que Sera Sera

Note - I took it as being on our B2B sequence since they will be looking for me.

I will also be on the 10/23-11/7 2016 cruise - I will be looking for you - don't use real name at he meet and greet

Simple date mix-up I presume.

As of now getting real close to the minimum threshold of numbers to host the

M&G. Like to start with 40 building up to 60 in attendance. I had one where

the crew outnumbered the guests - touché embarrassing but the crew noted

that these things happen actually worked out for the better in that more personal

time was spent asking/answering detailed questions.

Que Sera Sera

Ah... I read that Concho5 said that they could not do both - assuming the B2B, and it sounded like they were trying to choose which direction to do the 7 day cruise.

I figured that the dates were a typo.... since I believe I have already noticed that Bonvoyagie has posted on the other threads. :D