UBP price rise to $69 per day

clivep

• Ι quoted for a 14 day cruise for 2 people total ubp gratuities 350 usd almost!!!!WOW thats a lot of money thats no FREE drinks by all means...actually its more than 25 per day!!!!
  • The cost is under 13 per day per person, so it's still a great deal to only have to pay the grats, even though other lines that offer free alcohol packages like Celebrity include the grats and include more such as espresso based coffees and bottled water. But on the other hand, NCL offer is available with only booking am inside cabin, which is great value even though you need to pay the grats

Ι quoted for a 14 day cruise for 2 people total ubp gratuities 350 usd almost!!!!WOW thats a lot of money thats no FREE drinks by all means...actually its more than 25 per day!!!!

That's crazy. You should reject the package and just pay as you go for drinks. :-)

If you look at this from a revenue management perspective you are bringing in an extra $0.90/day for each and every passenger that sails with NCL. If we look at the fleet that is 31790 berths per day eligible for the promotion (I excluded the sky and POA from my calculations). Even if we assume only 35% of passengers pay the additional bev package surcharge that means a revenue increase of upwards of 3.6 million per annum in additional revenue to NCL.

THIS MY FRIENDS IS WHAT THIS PRICE INCREASE IS ALL ABOUT!!!!!!

It's one thing to raise it 2x in 12 months, quite another to not make it truly "All inclusive" like RCI does, with bottled water and specialty coffees

That is the Ultimate Package. I just had that last week over NYE on my Indy cruise. It was worth it for me and all in a cabin do not have to purchase and you can putchase different packages (for instance my dh had the Premium). I was able to get specialty coffees, coffees woth liquor, bottled water and Pelegrino. I also learned to ask for premium liquor in my drinks sonce I was able to have it all. I loved it and it was great.

Edited by js

That is the Ultimate Package. I just had that last week over NYE on my Indy cruise. It was worth it for me and all in a cabin do not have to purchase and you can putchase different packages (for instance my dh had the Premium). I was able to get specialty coffees, coffees woth liquor, bottled water and Pelegrino. I also learned to ask for premium liquor in my drinks sonce I was able to have it all. I loved it and it was great.

Yes, that is what I had on the allure! Is it still 69.00 per day for the ultimate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As NCL continues to offer this as a freebie, I don't think the price is really that important. In my eyes the price for drinks on board are still fairly reasonable. I understand we do not like change, but this is a business and they are in the business of making money. Yes there is an important tipping point where the increase in cost results in a decrease in customers to the point where the increase no longer brings a high profit. This is basic economics. No business makes these decisions on a whim, nor is it ever the decision of one man. The economics of the situation are evaluated, a comparison of competitors is conducted, and a price is set that will produce the greatest profit for the company.

I have paid upwards of $12 for a bottle of beer at a sporting event and I am sure many others have. We are a captive audience in both situations, one venue has chosen to exploit that to the max while NCL still remains comparable to my local bar for their drink prices (minus the 18% auto gratuity) I am not an NCL cheerleader, but I think its important to understand we have a choice to drink or buy the package. I choose NCl for the freestyle dining as my DW does not like to sit with random unknown people on our cruise, a couple $ increase in optional drink prices is worth it to me to have a happy DW. There will be some the choose to not travel with NCL because of this and that is their choice. To me the opportunity cost of switching to another line is higher then staying with NCL (a happy DW is priceless).

For the non-drinkers, non-spenders, cruising is an amazingly good deal. That being said, for a cruise line to offer a week of entertainment, dining, transportation and lodging for as low as $399 pp, they have to try to make revenue from other sources. Drinks are one of those sources.

Is NCL looking at adding premium coffee, bottled water, and smoothies to the package? There package pricing is now inline with many other lines (Celebrity, RCI, etc...) and they have these extra options and for about the same price.

I hope those in management understand this and allow this to change.... if you are going to raise the price you need to increase the value of what is being offered. At $69.00 a day that is about 7 drinks a day. I like a drink but not that many.... If they had specialty coffee, water, and smoothies then they would get more sales for sure.

Is NCL looking at adding premium coffee, bottled water, and smoothies to the package? There package pricing is now inline with many other lines (Celebrity, RCI, etc...) and they have these extra options and for about the same price.

The pricing is not inline with the ones mentioned, it's more expensive. One can get more value with lesser priced packages with the lines mentioned - we were completely happy with Celebrity's Standard Alcoholic Package on our last two cruises on Summit.

And to answer the original question, no there haven't been absolutely any signs of also adding value to the package while raising the price.

Edited by Demonyte

• 3 weeks later...

We booked a last minute cruise (19 days from sailing) and therefore weren't eligible for the free UBP (must book 30+ days in advance), which really sucks because we are drinkers and will have to purchase the package, which actually ends up being MORE expensive than the cruise itself. Ridiculous.

It is our first cruise with NCL and it very well may be our last. It's absolutely absurd that the UBP doesn't include bottled water or specialty coffees - included on RCCLs UBP which is only $59/night.

But yes, people do actually purchase the UBP.

We were very unhappy about missing out on that promotion.

I saw some people saying that they didn't want to choose any of the promo deals, maybe you could choose the internet package and then sell your minutes at a slightly reduced price to someone else on board? I'm not sure how the internet packages work but maybe that would be a possibility?

Edited by MerDub
typo

We booked a last minute cruise (19 days from sailing) and therefore weren't eligible for the free UBP (must book 30+ days in advance), which really sucks because we are drinkers and will have to purchase the package, which actually ends up being MORE expensive than the cruise itself. Ridiculous.

It is our first cruise with NCL and it very well may be our last. It's absolutely absurd that the UBP doesn't include bottled water or specialty coffees - included on RCCLs UBP which is only $59/night.

But yes, people do actually purchase the UBP.

We were very unhappy about missing out on that promotion.

I saw some people saying that they didn't want to choose any of the promo deals, maybe you could choose the internet package and then sell your minutes at a slightly reduced price to someone else on board? I'm not sure how the internet packages work but maybe that would be a possibility?

The reason it is not included is because you got a way better price than people like me who booked a few months ago. I'm leaving in 3 weeks as well and my cabin is almost $400 each cheaper, so indirectly I paid for the drink package too...

The reason it is not included is because you got a way better price than people like me who booked a few months ago. I'm leaving in 3 weeks as well and my cabin is almost $400 each cheaper, so indirectly I paid for the drink package too...

Did you call and try to get an OBC or upgrade once the prices dropped?

Regardless, I know NCL wouldn't be offering it if they were losing money, but I would still have been willing to pay a few hundred more for my cruise with the UBP included than double the price of my cruise when purchasing it later.

My response was more to the person asking if there were actually people still purchasing the UBP. There are.

Either way, we want to enjoy our cruise and be able to have a few frozen drinks at the pool, a few glasses of wine with dinner, a few cocktails later at night, etc. so we'll be paying for it.

I think the issue everyone is having here though, myself included, is the fact that things like bottled water, energy drinks, specialty coffees, and freshly squeezed juices are NOT included in the UBP on NCL. All of the above are included on RCCL and their UBP is $59 instead of $69. It's an issue of contention with me actually.

NCL has the highest priced beverage package in the industry and it is by far the LEAST inclusive. Considering they upcharge for EVERYTHING else ($7.95 for room service?), if they're offering a very expensive beverage package they should at least include ALL beverages up to $15 - bottled water, juice, coffee, red bull.

It's turned me off them before I've even gotten on them.

I guess the 'a-la-carte' drinks prices will be going up again soon as well - that seems to be the process at the moment. Glad I'm not committed to an NCL cruise at the moment!

Glad I don't drink a lot and glad I slip a bottle on unnoticed every cruise too. I'm not paying what they want for a drink. Its the same on RCI. Last cruise DW and I had a nice sailaway drink and it came to something like $31 or $43 CAN. Nope. Not doing that again.

Glad I don't drink a lot and glad I slip a bottle on unnoticed every cruise too. I'm not paying what they want for a drink. Its the same on RCI. Last cruise DW and I had a nice sailaway drink and it came to something like $31 or $43 CAN. Nope. Not doing that again.

It's less expensive than buying a drink in a lot of major cities in the USA. I'm always impressed at how inexpensive the drinks are. I guess it depends on where you've been.

I have to disagree. I work I the travel industry and am fortunate to travel a lot. $15USD plus for a drink is expensive. The only places I have been where prices were as high were Oslo and Jakarta. In terms of cruise pricing, Norwegian drink packages are high in comparison to what they offer. I like Norwegian as they do have a lot to offer. The problem with Norwegian and sadly many other lines is their relentless and continously raising of prices. The Canadian market is going to be hit very hard this year as more Canadian are opting for All Inclusive packages in Mexico and the Caribbean on account of the dolar. I booked ages ago so I booked a great rate. The pick two sale has come out so I thought I would see if I could take advantage of the program. Nope..... Price has gone up and so has the exchange rate adding nearly $1300 to the total end cost.... we will stay with what we originally booked for now.

Edited by hhfarmer

I have to disagree. I work I the travel industry and am fortunate to travel a lot. $15USD plus for a drink is expensive. The only places I have been where prices were as high were Oslo and Jakarta.

Yes, $15 plus for a drink would indeed be expensive. Thankfully out of hundreds of options on NCL ships, only a handful are that price. My post above yours was discussing the price of drinks. Disagree all you want, or simply look at a menu.

Edited by LrgPizza

Yes, $15 plus for a drink would indeed be expensive. Thankfully out of hundreds of options on NCL ships, only a handful are that price. My post above yours was discussing the price of drinks. Disagree all you want, or simply look at a menu.

What's the cheapest drink on a ship that's not a beer or a pre-bought bottle of liquor?

(Curious so I can figure out how much non UBP drinking is going to cost me next week)

Really? A year ago it was only $4.25 + for a mixed drink?????

Would love to know which cruise that was on.

gary

Hey... when someone uses a qualifier like "nearly" or "probably" or "maybe" or any number of other weasel words, they can say pretty much anything!

Unless someone is completely math deficient, no one would buy the $69 UBP as long as NCL continues the UBP marketing gimmick and it appears Del Rio will ride this horse as long as it has legs. The increase in UBP price was entirely predictable as it increases the service charge for the UBP. Del Rio promised to double profits by 2017 thus he must find incremental price increases wherever he can. Del Rio wants the ships booked early and his marketing gimmicks (UBP, SDP, etc.) are working at luring fence sitters to book sooner rather than later. This reduces the need to offer as many last minute deals.

Not quite but somewhat close, before all the raises last year the price was $5.75
So that's more like a 50% increase. Which is bad, but not "nearly doubled".

When we were on the Epic at Christmas, they were still using prices from six months earlier (the menu I have says "Fleet Whiskey 6/15"). That is call $7.50 ($89 bottle) / premium $8.75 ($99 bottle) / super premium $9.95 ($129 bottle). Does anyone have all of the new prices?