Oasis - cpap machine and distilled water

Two people in our party use a cpap machine. I know we can bring the cpap machine on board, no biggie.

What I need to know is if they have DISTILLED water on the ship to buy OR can you bring an unopened jug of distilled water? Can't be bottled water because of recurrent sinus infections.

Do you need to bring your prescription or note from the doctor concerning it?

Thanks so much for your help!

Two people in our party use a cpap machine. I know we can bring the cpap machine on board, no biggie.

What I need to know is if they have DISTILLED water on the ship to buy OR can you bring an unopened jug of distilled water? Can't be bottled water because of recurrent sinus infections.

RCCL will provide you with distilled water FREE. Contact specialneeds_rccl.com give them your reservation number, ship, cabin number and sail date. I know you probably only need the reservation number but I like to be careful. You will receive a conformation of your email, then a reply from Special Needs Department. It is one of the departments that is very responsive, IMHO.

The distilled water will be in your cabin upon embarkation. I have done it many times for a variety of reasons and no questions asked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My husband uses a Cpap machine and we just call or email special needs and request the distilled water and an extension cord. No need to bring or buy the water. No doctor note needed. We have done this on many RCCL ships. Have a great trip!

Wow, thanks so much for the replies everyone! This is GREAT news and thanks for bringing up the extension cord. I didn't even think of that!! Another reason why we are so excited to cruise with Royal Caribbean.... they really tailor to your needs!

Have a wonderful day!

Wow, thanks so much for the replies everyone! This is GREAT news and thanks for bringing up the extension cord. I didn't even think of that!! Another reason why we are so excited to cruise with Royal Caribbean.... they really tailor to your needs!

Have a wonderful day!

FYI, I contacted special needs and asked for distilled water on AOS in November. They said it would be in the room but it wasn't. I asked the stateroom attendant about it and she had it in the room by that evening.

So don't panic if it's not there in the room on embarkation day.

You don't need the prescription. It helps to notify the RC guest with special needs department. They will usually make sure it is in your room on embarkation day. Once they failed and my room attendant made it happen with no problems.

FYI- My info is 5 years old, I am proud to be be CPAP free for 5 years now.

...FYI- My info is 5 years old, I am proud to be be CPAP free for 5 years now.

Bill, I understand this might be personal, so please don't answer if it's none of my business, but I'm curious about what changed so that you don't have to use CPAP anymore? I might be looking at it myself.

Bill, I understand this might be personal, so please don't answer if it's none of my business, but I'm curious about what changed so that you don't have to use CPAP anymore? I might be looking at it myself.

Sleep apnea is not always caused by obesity, but in my case it was. I lost 75 pounds and the need for it went away.

Congratulations, and thanks for the info.:)

Bob,

Not to hijack the thread on a topic that needs further discussion elsewhere, from your photo it could be summized that you are not obese and that you are married. Wive's know their partners sleeping habits as well as anyone and an can often provide doctors with useful information. Snoring is one situation that sometimes prompts people into sleep studies, but shallow or stopping breathing should get more attention. If its just snoriing, I have found the mouthpieces advertised by dentists and other folks that re-position the jaw forward help and are more comfortable.

(done playing doctor)

Bob,

Not to hijack the thread on a topic that needs further discussion elsewhere, from your photo it could be summized that you are not obese and that you are married. Wive's know their partners sleeping habits as well as anyone and an can often provide doctors with useful information. Snoring is one situation that sometimes prompts people into sleep studies, but shallow or stopping breathing should get more attention. If its just snoriing, I have found the mouthpieces advertised by dentists and other folks that re-position the jaw forward help and are more comfortable.

(done playing doctor)

Thanks Bill. I agree, and it's my wife's "input" that has prompted me to schedule a sleep study.

I personally use CPAP at night, and used the special needs department for a cord and distilled water. The majority of the time it has been in the room, but on a few cruises it was not. NO BIG DEAL.....just ask your room attendant and they can get it for you no problems at all.

Ask the ship for an extension cord with 2 or 3 plugs on the end. You'll probably need that since you have 2 CPAPs. If the water or cord is not in the room when you board, tell your cabin attendant and he/she will make sure it is in the room before you go to bed. Also, it is probably best if you don't check the CPAP but instead keep it with you. Be sure to put your name and cabin number on it in case it gets lost. FYI...Royal Caribbean does not charge for the water. I think Carnival (and maybe other lines) do.

Edited by Jimnbigd

my husband requested a power strip 'for medical equipment' ( his hearing aids.)

not only did we get the power strip they ALSO included a gallon jug of distilled water.

based on that, I am pretty sure they will be able to accommodate..

I take an extension cord in my CPAP case, it stays there so Zi don't forget it. It's longer and less bulky than a power strip, and I can charge my Kindle with it. Hard to charge your e-reader and read it at the same time without an extension cord.

I've never received distilled water from my request, but the ship's water is distilled so I just use it. No problem

FYI there was a plug by the nightstand under the headboard on our December Oasis cruise, so no extension cord was really needed on that ship. I do wrap a good quality cord with 3 plugs in with my APAP unit cord and nobody has said boo about it. Since they will provide a cord if asked, the concern ships must have with plugs is that someone may bring one of those super flimsy cheap cords that are unsafe.

When I had my last two sleep studies it was determined a mouthpiece was just as effective as the cpap machine. There have been many advances in the area of sleep apnea since I was diagnosed 18 years ago. Thank goodness more people are being diagnosed and receiving the treatment they need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I personally use CPAP at night, and used the special needs department for a cord and distilled water. The majority of the time it has been in the room, but on a few cruises it was not. NO BIG DEAL.....just ask your room attendant and they can get it for you no problems at all.

But it will be a big deal if you don't give them a head's up on it. I totally forgot for our cruise January 2014, and we just barely got one for DH's machine. Our attendant had to go searrching for it; I think she said she found one in the crew quarters. (hope no crew member went without their CPAP that week!)

So definitely request it, so they know you need it.

And because of this thread I just filled out the form for it.

And it's so correct that wives should be listened to about this. DH REFUSED to listen to me about this; he chose to believe that I was hitting and kicking him in the night, when I was touching his arm or nudging his foot with my foot, to get him to *start breathing* again, after I had woken up because I wasn't hearing him breathing... He slept on the couch, his choice, for about 4 years. Finally, FINALLY, his endocrinologist did a "I coulda had a V8" head smack and asked "have I ever mentioned a sleep study?" and he said "no", but DH did it. Waking nearly 100 times per hour. They said it was the worst case their center had seen in 5 years. He was barely breathing and barely sleeping. (and while he was in the bed, I wasn't sleeping either) Could have started breathing and sleeping 4 years before, if he had listened to me!

Speaking of distilled water, did you ever watch the TV show about how filtered/distilled the water is on Oasis??? I bet the tap water is suitable for CPAPs. But Special Needs is easy.

Q: Is the water on the ship safe to drink?

A: Yes. All drinking water is either distilled from seawater or loaded onboard while the ship is in port. Royal Caribbean adheres to Vessel Sanitation Program standards published by the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS). The USPHS conducts inspections of the ship, both during its construction and throughout the year, to ensure compliance.

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=269&faqSubjectId=336#LQer2tiyLE7r4XHZ.99

Edited by BecciBoo