Viking ' Money-Back Risk-Free Cancellation Waiver'

ural guy

...You think they'd jump on this to provide some clarity?
That makes sense IF they want clarity on this.

HOWEVER if it sounds better than it really is, they may want it to remain unclear:cool:

If it is as good as it sounds, it would certainly push Viking closer to the top of lines I'd consider.

Thom

Doesn't look like a very complicated offer to me, but then I'm not reading it with the same suspicious perspective that many of you seem to be doing :)

The published details are simply that you can cancel without penalty as long as you ask for the waiver when you make the booking and they simply say that you can't both get your money back from Viking and claim on your insurance which seems reasonable.

If this offer interests someone, then just pick up the phone and ask for more details...

If the offer is as simple as "you can cancel up to the day before and get all your money back" then why would you buy trip insurance for the cruise at all? I could see buying separate trip insurance for the flights or hotel rooms pre- post-cruise, and maybe medical and evac insurance, but why buy the full blown trip insurance which is quite expensive?

I'm still confused as to why Viking is doing this at all. Seems they are inviting people to book with no penalty at all for deciding the day before sailing to forget the whole thing - for free. Then they're bound to have lots of last minute cancellations. With no ability for them to fill the cancellations. I'm just still not getting this.

If the offer is as simple as "you can cancel up to the day before and get all your money back" then why would you buy trip insurance for the cruise at all? I could see buying separate trip insurance for the flights or hotel rooms pre- post-cruise, and maybe medical and evac insurance, but why buy the full blown trip insurance which is quite expensive?

Well I guess you wouldn't, no point in paying for 'cancel for any reason' if Viking are giving you the same ability for free :)

Remember this is a time limited offer, not a new general change, so their overall risk of people cancelling is contained.

I would see this as a tactical response to what were probably a lot lower than normal booking levels during January.

Dear All,

We’re happy to jump in and clarify!

The Risk-Free Cancellation promotion you’ve referenced has recently been offered to US and Canadian markets and is valid on any 2016 river cruise itinerary booked between January 6, 2016 and January 31, 2016.

With this promotion, should you need to cancel your cruise, a full cash refund will be issued and a penalty will not be assessed. The refund will be comprised of all funds paid to Viking, including travel insurance and airfare. You may cancel (in writing) up until the day before departure for the refund to be honored.

Keep in mind, you cannot collect a refund from both Viking AND travel insurance.

We hope our explanation has answered your questions and clarified any misunderstandings. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com should you have additional questions.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Viking- Thanks for weighing in on this. I wish I had more vacation time!

Mark T- Good job, your interpretation was closest to what was printed. :)

We shall see how this all plays out. Who is going to volunteer to be the guinea pig and book a cruise, pay for it and then the day before the cruise write a letter saying you changed your mind? ( just kidding)

I'm getting a headache trying to figure out why would you need insurance if you have this waiver? Do only certain people get the waiver because there is no mention of it on the Viking website

We shall see how this all plays out. Who is going to volunteer to be the guinea pig and book a cruise, pay for it and then the day before the cruise write a letter saying you changed your mind? ( just kidding)

I'm getting a headache trying to figure out why would you need insurance if you have this waiver? Do only certain people get the waiver because there is no mention of it on the Viking website

Based on Viking's clarification, If I were going to book with them, I would consider booking all my arrangements thru them so that everything would be covered by the offer should I need to cancel. As for purchasing travel insurance, one might still need this in order to cover medical and evacuation. Some US policies including Medicare do not offer coverage when outside the US or its territories.

Not sure if this promo is restricted to those who received the email or to everyone who books within the specified period. Guess there is still some research to be done if one wants to take advantage of this.

[quote=Got2Cruise;48701487

Book a cruise and buy insurance. But never plan on going on this trip.

Then cancel the cruise after final payment.

Get all your money back from Viking.

Also get the same amount of money from the travel insurance.

You make a lot of money.

With this clarification, I have to say the Viking offer is very generous and apparently ironclad. But it doesn't cover everything that you might want to be insured for. Medical coverage has already been mentioned. Other coverage include trip delay, baggage delay and loss, and provider default. I assume that Viking's insurance policy would cover all but the latter -- so it would still be worthwhile because once you pass the 24 hour threshold the guarantee lapses and you fall back on the insurance. Third party insurance would cover all those areas, and you wouldn't need to pay extra for the "anytime" rider because Viking is giving you that. So: a good deal, but still buy travel insurance.

I have the waiver and have studied Viking's trip insurance and bought trip insurance in the past for ocean cruises. Trip insurance covers more than just trip cancellation. The policies include lost luggage coverage, trip delay and interruption, medical expenses, and medical evacuation. The free waiver does not, in my opinion, cover these expenses. Many travel credit cards have started covering some or all of them when the trip is paid using the card. I have certain cards just for that purpose and almost never purchase trip insurance any more. Any way, with the free waiver, one then has to decide if you want coverage for these emergencies and how to get it. It's easy to only get medical trip insurance.

For my trip, I paid with echeck (getting additional discount) and did not purchasing any trip insurance. Cost/reward/probability didn't seem cost effective.

I agree with Patrickmoran - the Medical / evac policies are WAY cheaper than full trip insurance. If Viking is covering the cancellations and you buy the Medical, then I would not do the full trip insurance just to cover trip delays, trip interruption and lost baggage. The cost/benefit just doesn't seem worthwhile.

On our trip to Eastern Europe, I cannot cancel and rebook as a large portion of our fare was covered by a future cruise credit from a prior Viking trip and found out that it's non-transferable so I'd loose that. Plus, since I already bought the trip insurance, I'd be out that too. Bummer! Wish I had another cruise I could take in 2016!

Most travel insurance claims are submitted for CANCELLATION. (IE, death in the family, someone falls ill, house burns down, boss says you have to work, etc)

Even with the new Viking waiver promo, you'd still need to have cancellation insurance from the end of Vikings coverage (day before cruise) to the end of your vacation to be covered properly. (and it usually covers medical, bags, etc)

Received an e-mail from Viking w/ the above offer.

Here is part of it: "We’re now offering risk-free cancellation on All 2016 new river cruise bookings. Book through Jan 31, 2016, and Ask For Our "Money-Back Risk-Free Cancellation Waiver." Enjoy peace of mind knowing that if you decide to cancel for any reason, you get your money back.

What better time than now to book a 2016 cruise! Look forward to taking an unforgettable journey along the Rhine, Main or legendary Danube – at no risk of any cancellation fee."

The small print says you can cancel up to the day before the trip, no penalty.

Interesting response to low water levels?

Of course it is. I was on a Danube cruise last August and it was terrible We were bussed everywhere and didn't even have the opportunity to change ships halfway as many others did. We received no satisfaction from Viking corporate. They treated us terribly and nothing short of a totally free trip would entice us to use Viking again. If we ever do another river cruise we will go back to Avalon.

Dear orangebeach8,

We understand your recent cruise was impacted by low water and regret you remain disappointed in our attempts to resolve your concern.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we would be happy to reopen your file and review your concerns a second time. Should you wish to do the same, please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Orangebeach8, we hope to hear from you and look forward to the opportunity to regain your trust.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Of course it is. I was on a Danube cruise last August and it was terrible We were bussed everywhere and didn't even have the opportunity to change ships halfway as many others did. We received no satisfaction from Viking corporate. They treated us terribly and nothing short of a totally free trip would entice us to use Viking again. If we ever do another river cruise we will go back to Avalon.

I just made a reservation for a Danube Cruise this summer. I asked several questions about the Risk Free Cancellation. The agent stated that for any reason (I just changed my mind etc...) that I decided not to go, my money would be refunded for the reservation. Meaning...there are two in each room and each pair must cancel, not just one person.

I asked for this in writing...the only thing I have..so far...is on my statement under "Other Items" is Risk Free Cancellation and the cost is 0.00.

I do feel I need it all in writing, I will press for that as well. Has anyone received this in writing from Viking?

I agree call them though because the website is confusing ! Insuremytrip or Thetripinsurancestore, they are a wealth of information and have at least 100 travel insurance companies to choose from. They will help you sort it out and would also help if you need to make a claim.

This offer is only for canceling your trip. It does not cover medical or trip interuption coverage. I am scared to travel this far without medical coverage. Medicare does not cover out of the U.S. any suggestions?

Make sure you have medical coverage, including emergency medical evacuation and repatriation of remains. I'm in my mid-70's and I won't leave the US without it...The one time I needed it I was very thankful that I had it. I look at it as not buying insurance as much as buying peace of mind.