pea soup

TheCalicoCat

We hung out on our balcony while cruising Glacier Bay and listened to the narration on the TV. We ordered soup from room service - no problem!

That's a good idea. Soup is probably hotter ordering from Room Service. I like what is served on deck and in the Crow's Nest but it is barely warm and very thick because lack of heat.

with a ham bone, carrot,potato and onion and it was great. Have enough for the winter when we are not cruising. HAL used to have Dutch pea soup in the Lido on every cruise, not just Alaska.

Your soup sounds delicious. I sure would enjoy a cup right about now. :)

Yes

Get there early to get a seat in the Crow's Nest. It goes fast.

On many of our Alaskan cruises it was also served out on the open decks.

It is usually done around 10 AM but check your daily "On Location" for the times.

Thanks for the tip.

with a ham bone, carrot,potato and onion and it was great. Have enough for the winter when we are not cruising. HAL used to have Dutch pea soup in the Lido on every cruise, not just Alaska.

Would you care to share your recipe.. I love pea soup.. I probably could make it in my crock pot..

(You can easily add chopped ham &/or omit the curry powder. I can't see why you couldn't add potato too.)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons unsalted butter/oil/margarine

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup carrots diced small (not as small as the peas, but pretty close)

1 cup celery diced small

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic

12 ounces dried green or yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed

5 cups chicken broth/water/vegetable broth

1 tablespoon curry powder

Directions

Place the butter/oil/margarine into a large (4 to 6-quart) saucepan over medium-low heat. Once melted, add the onion, carrots, and celery and a generous pinch of salt and sweat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sweat for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, making certain not to allow browning.

Add the peas, chicken broth/water/vegetable broth and curry powder. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook at a simmer until the peas are tender and not holding their shape any longer, approximately 45 to 50 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.

Edited by TheCalicoCat

Yes

Get there early to get a seat in the Crow's Nest. It goes fast.

On many of our Alaskan cruises it was also served out on the open decks.

It is usually done around 10 AM but check your daily "On Location" for the times.

In our experience the pea soup is also served on the Bow, the Promenade deck, and the aft Lido - so lots of choices. And quite often there is some available at lunch time in the Lido too.:)

HAL used to have Dutch pea soup in the Lido on every cruise, not just Alaska.

On Noordam, the delicious Pea soup was served in the Crows Nest and on the Promenade Deck 1030 am while cruising Fiordland, New Zealand on November 1st 2015.