Internet service on the Westerdam?

serialcruiser48

What is the current cost of Internet service on the Westerdam? I'm looking at a 30 day cruise so I'm wondering about the cost.

can't help you with a 30 day cruise (yet). We'll be on shortly for 33 days and then I can report;)

BUT, we were on last year for 20 days, and our unlimited internet was around $170 for the medium package. The standard "minute" packages were also available.

While we get loads of free minutes (about 1000 minutes on Princess) on other lines, HAL is still the line that takes big advantage to anyone wanting to be connected. Even on our long HAL cruises (over 40 days) we have learned how to keep our internet costs at a minimum while still sending and receiving daily e-mails. We take our own computer and do all of our e-mails and responses off line. As a general rule we log-on once per day and then allow our software to send and receive all our e-mails (this usually takes no more then 5-7 minutes a day. As soon as all our mail is up and downloaded we immediately log-off. Once off line we can read our e-mails and compose any responses. If it is really necessary to send a response immediately we get back online and let the software send the mail (usually less then 1 minute).

Hank

can't help you with a 30 day cruise (yet). We'll be on shortly for 33 days and then I can report;)

BUT, we were on last year for 20 days, and our unlimited internet was around $170 for the medium package. The standard "minute" packages were also available.

Unlimited service is best for me since I'm addicted to the Internet. What is a medium package?

Unlimited service is best for me since I'm addicted to the Internet. What is a medium package?

Addictions can be expensive :). On our upcoming Prinsendam cruise even the medium package would cost around $900! Although we are addicted to the internet at home, it is good for the soul to be incommunicado on occasion.

Hank

We just got off the WD for a 7-day in December. I paid $129.99 for the top tier unlimited. I think the middle tier was around $75.99 and I can't remember the "social" tier but it was probably around $40. It's about time that ALL HAL ships have a tiered plan like this where you aren't tethered to the incredibly "slow" minutes of HAL, but instead have the ability to select the kind of access you want and don't have to worry about the minutes and dollars ticking away beyond your control! I love having this kind of plan!

We just got off the WD for a 7-day in December. I paid $129.99 for the top tier unlimited. I think the middle tier was around $75.99 and I can't remember the "social" tier but it was probably around $40. It's about time that ALL HAL ships have a tiered plan like this where you aren't tethered to the incredibly "slow" minutes of HAL, but instead have the ability to select the kind of access you want and don't have to worry about the minutes and dollars ticking away beyond your control! I love having this kind of plan!

Kind of a warped way of thinking when one thanks a cruise line for ONLY charging them $18.57 a day for slow internet service (which does not always work). Your attitude makes me eager to run out and buy more stock in CCL :).

Hank

Kind of a warped way of thinking when one thanks a cruise line for ONLY charging them $18.57 a day for slow internet service (which does not always work). Your attitude makes me eager to run out and buy more stock in CCL :).

Hank

I had the middle tier package on the Westerdam last September in Alaska. I think it cost me about $79. I thought it a good value because I had to keep in contact due to my work.

I found the internet service to be good. I had no problems with speed and was able to check email and answer the important ones with no problem I also had no problems posting pictures on social media sites.

In short, the service worked very well for me and I would do it again. When one must keep in touch, it is worth the cost.

Debbie

A medium package allows usage of Internet, FB, emails, etc. But no streaming and technically the top package is supposed to have faster internet. How that works is beyond me.

Our was pretty dam good on the Westerdam.

I had the top package on the Westerdam, which was somewhere around $229 for a 20-day cruise. I was able to skype my sister in the UK and family back in Canada from just about anywhere, and the speed was great. Onboard, we all kept in touch via Messenger when an impromptu Sailaway Gang gathering suddenly took place. We never had any issues with the internet at all. Which makes me wonder why oh why the other ships all report slow and abysmal connections. Hopefully, the W'dam system will spread through the rest of the fleet.

Hank

Well, it sure beats Oceania's daily unlimited charge and the internet was MUCH better than on the Riviera. Probably the worst internet I have seen in years!

If the Westerdam's internet is anywhere near what we had last year and along the same price point, then I will pay. AND our price was reduced if you signed up for the whole cruise, so it didn't work out that price point at all. fingers crossed!

It's my wallet like it is yours. ;) It's each person's choice where to spend it ;)

Edited by kazu

I had the top package on the Westerdam, which was somewhere around $229 for a 20-day cruise. I was able to skype my sister in the UK and family back in Canada from just about anywhere, and the speed was great. Onboard, we all kept in touch via Messenger when an impromptu Sailaway Gang gathering suddenly took place. We never had any issues with the internet at all. Which makes me wonder why oh why the other ships all report slow and abysmal connections. Hopefully, the W'dam system will spread through the rest of the fleet.

While this isn't cheap by any means sounds good to me. I'll figure $11.45 a day for the top package on a 30 day cruise. Now I'll have to convince the wife this is the cruise we want, just keep the fact my decision is based on good wifi a secret.

Edited by serialcruiser48

While this isn't cheap by any means sounds good to me. I'll figure $11.45 a day for the top package on a 30 day cruise. Now I'll have to convince the wife this is the cruise we want, just keep the fact my decision is based on good wifi a secret.

An update.

Convinced the wife on the 30 day cruise on the Westerdam. I'll test the new Internet system and report my findings. Just hope the Internet isn't a disappointment.

An update.

Convinced the wife on the 30 day cruise on the Westerdam. I'll test the new Internet system and report my findings. Just hope the Internet isn't a disappointment.

Excellent! We had a fabulous time on our Westerdam cruise, and the internet package and good connection was a bonus.