When do you book...

jessv12

When do you book excursions/drink packages?

Hi all, My BF and I are planners and always like to book our excursions and drink packages before we set sail. We are cruising with his parents and they want to plan as we go once we are on the ship.

Just curious when all of you usually book things? Before the cruise? Or once already on board? Thanks in advance!

Edited by jessv12

I book onboard if I have onboard credit. Beverage package I would book before if I don't have enough OBC to cover it. I only book certain excursions before I go, others are decided at port when I get off the ship. I like to not have a schedule on vacation. Booking before takes away my choices for the day and puts me on someone else's time.

I'm typically a planner. On our first cruise I planned our days off the ship and after the cruise thought we would have enjoyed it more if we just relaxed and went with the flow.

On the second cruise it was loosely planned and after I found out about a few things (excursions) I felt we would have really enjoyed. Maybe wouldn't have missed had we planned a little better.

But overall I think I enjoyed a "loose" planning schedule better. There was no stress to be anywhere and we could take our time doing things.

Our next cruise I have planned some things to do off the boat for each stop but nothing will be prepaid. We will go with the flow. If its available when we get there we will do it...if not, no worries as there are plenty of other things to do.

I think a big factor is the cruise and ports you are going to and the time of year visiting. Some ports are huge and have plenty of things to do. Others are very limited.

One port we visited in Norway was on a Sunday and everything was closed. Might have been good to pre plan an excursion for that one :)

-Sean

Hi all, My BF and I are planners and always like to book our excursions and drink packages before we set sail. We are cruising with his parents and they want to plan as we go once we are on the ship.

Just curious when all of you usually book things? Before the cruise? Or once already on board? Thanks in advance!

Combination. If there is an excursion we really don't want to miss, then we will book it early. Most times, we book excursions on the ship. I would not book a drink package pre-cruise unless there was a financial advantage, and I don't consider psychological reasons financial.

Combination. If there is an excursion we really don't want to miss, then we will book it early. Most times, we book excursions on the ship. I would not book a drink package pre-cruise unless there was a financial advantage, and I don't consider psychological reasons financial.

Bob, when do excursions normally open up for booking in advance? We're heading to the Med end of May on Brilliance and still not many excursions showing and nothing at all for Rome.

To answer the OP's question we've normally booked on the ship (tis the reason I don't know when they open up) but this time we'd like to have everything booked in advance as this is our first time in Europe.

Thanks

We're taking one excursion out of 3 ports and booked it about 7 months in advance. It was one that I had researched and wanted for our family and it wasn't originally available on our Allure cruise (but I did see it on other Allure/Oasis cruises of the same timing). So I watched and once it was added to our excursion options, I booked it. I've been watching the price of it, and it's been going up and down slightly, but now it is up by about $10 CAD per person from what we paid (i.e. so $40 total more in CAD). I also feel good about booking since it ensures we have a spot.

For drink packages, the only one we may get is the soda package for DH only. This one won't be too much but we figured we may as use our OBC since it covers it. Also, since we are Canadians and we did pre-purchase OBC at 1.1 exchange (no longer available) we can buy the drink package using out OBC at the great rate. Having said that, some are now saying that drink packages went up again so that is always a risk. And it's not clear if it'll cost us more buying it on board (don't think so but there has been some discussions on here)

Bob, when do excursions normally open up for booking in advance? ...

There is no "normal" for Royal's excursions (or dining or exntertainment) to open. A Royal rep will likely say 90 days, but I've see these things open over 120 days or less than 90 days. Keep checking the website.

We book some excursions for the time we want.

Like for Labadee, we book an early zip line and then the jet skis for after lunch.

We also buy our drink packages before we sail, this way they are paid for and we do not come home with alot on the credit card.

Enjoy

One of the things we love about cruising with other people is the freedom for each couple/family to do things their own way. Life is all about choices.

There is no "normal" for Royal's excursions (or dining or exntertainment) to open. A Royal rep will likely say 90 days, but I've see these things open over 120 days or less than 90 days. Keep checking the website.

I'm over a year out from our departure on the Allure and some of the excursions were just recently opened, including the one I just had to go on. Score!