Cruise together and get sick together

6666oz

Pass me the bucket. :eek:

Cruise ships put thousands of people from a wide variety of origins into a confined space. Before you step on board, remember that this is the perfect breeding ground for infectious diseases, writes Peter Curson.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-08/curson-cruise-together-and-get-sick-together/7075930

Below is a quote from the article:

"there are many ways infection can be spread. It could be that a ship's food storage and kitchen preparation were to blame or that a cook, food handler or waiter exhibited symptoms of gastrointestinal illness while continuing to work.It is also possible that crew members, recruited from all around the world, can on occasions act as possible reservoirs of disease."

The spread of noro is caused principally by not washing hands before eating. I am surprised the author of the quoted article mentions "food storage and kitchen preparation" as a cause. Noro is quite different from food poisoning.

I do not think the crew is a major cause of noro. As has been discussed on another thread recently, the crew must immediately stop work and report the fact that they are ill. They do not lose pay, but it is a disciplinary offence if they do not report by phone to the medical centre when they are ill.

I think most of us on here know more about Noro than the author of the article.:)

Below is a quote from the article:

"there are many ways infection can be spread. It could be that a ship's food storage and kitchen preparation were to blame or that a cook, food handler or waiter exhibited symptoms of gastrointestinal illness while continuing to work.It is also possible that crew members, recruited from all around the world, can on occasions act as possible reservoirs of disease."

The spread of noro is caused principally by not washing hands before eating. I am surprised the author of the quoted article mentions "food storage and kitchen preparation" as a cause. Noro is quite different from food poisoning.

I do not think the crew is a major cause of noro. As has been discussed on another thread recently, the crew must immediately stop work and report the fact that they are ill. They do not lose pay, but it is a disciplinary offence if they do not report by phone to the medical centre when they are ill.

I think most of us on here know more about Noro than the author of the article.:)

The hand washing before handling food whether in it's preparation, serving or consumption is the best way to stop the spread of disease.

It really is unfair to blame the crew. :(

We were on Explorer in December right after the big outbreak of Norovirus. We were very worried but followed the guidelines given by the cruiseline and didn't get sick at all. Mind you, we did avoid the buffet and ate most of our meals in the MDR to reduce the risk.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

We were on Explorer in December right after the big outbreak of Norovirus. We were very worried but followed the guidelines given by the cruiseline and didn't get sick at all. Mind you, we did avoid the buffet and ate most of our meals in the MDR to reduce the risk.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

IMO, that is a wise choice.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I am a health professional. Please don't flame. Norovirus is a faecally transmitted disease to start with. That means EVERYBODY has to sufficiently wash their hands after the bathroom. Being a virus, once it is introduced, it is very hard to contain. Aerosol, bodily fluids, contact on solid surfaces and in the food. Chlorine or bleach will kill it. The alcohol "Purcell" hand wash is only an adjunct. That said it helps. I will wash my hands often on my next cruise and use the alcohol hand wash at every opportunity. That's what I do. I know that I and my family may still get Nori.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a health professional. Please don't flame. Norovirus is a faecally transmitted disease to start with. That means EVERYBODY has to sufficiently wash their hands after the bathroom. Being a virus, once it is introduced, it is very hard to contain. Aerosol, bodily fluids, contact on solid surfaces and in the food. Chlorine or bleach will kill it. The alcohol "Purcell" hand wash is only an adjunct. That said it helps. I will wash my hands often on my next cruise and use the alcohol hand wash at every opportunity. That's what I do. I know that I and my family may still get Nori.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for explaining it quite simply. :D

I wash often and always just before eating.

The last thing I do before I leave work is wash my hands and the very first thing I do when I walk in my door at home is head for the basin and wash my hands. I also am a health professional. It's such a simple task, this habit will reduce the risk of viral gastro infections, but not 100%.